Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

There's only 6 episodes, so I'd assume they skip through them faster than that.

Internet says it's gonna be 9 episodes.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/first-season-of-marvels-wandavision-expanded-to-9-episodes-on-disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Can I ask a general MCU question here? I'm rewatching the first Avengers movie and what is Tony Stark doing at the beginning? He's underwater and cuts open what I assume is a power line and then puts some device on it. Pepper mentions something about being off the grid and then they turn on the arc reactor to power Stark Tower so uh, what was that thing? Some kind of device to trick the power company into thinking Stark Tower was still pulling electricity? What's the point of that when it's already public knowledge who Iron Man is and Tony is already working with the government?

Yeah yeah comic book movie etc etc etc

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
See I thought that too at first but there's a few times where they show computer images of the tower and it looks like the arc reactor is underground. Pepper says "you disconnected the transmission lines, are we off the grid?" when Tony's flying back from doing whatever he's doing, which is what confused me in the first place haha.

It's a really dumb thing to get hung up on and I know that the actual answer is probably "audience's are here to see cgi man punch each other who cares?" but it was something I noticed the first time seeing the movie in theaters and I am still not sure what's actually going on. Are marvel movies just too deep for me??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They tell the story in the 7 minute long Legends thing about Wanda.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I like how the first episode is all wide shots in the same way 60s sitcoms were shot but when Hart is asking them where they met and starts to choke the framing pushes in and it's all shot in close ups, and as soon as Vision pulls the strawberry out of his throat it goes back to wide shots, emphasizing the fake reality this is all taking place in.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 17, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The actors probably cost a lot less too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So Wanda just erased that guy in the hazmat suit from existence, right? They made no mention of him coming back (not that they need to, he very well might have and they just didn't mention it because he's a nameless mook so the audience doesn't necessarily need to know what happened to him) and she "rewound" the tape back to before he climbed out of the sewer so they never see him in the first place. He's just gone now.

Cool stuff, I like the perspective of what's going on outside. And clearly they'll be back to the sitcom stuff since we know it's coming. Looking forward to next Friday already.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical of Disney+ when it was first announced and only got an account because of the free year from Verizon but between this and The Mandalorian I've been really impressed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Did the episodes have titles before today?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ah okay cool, I couldn't remember.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like both Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, but is it worth it to power through to the fourth episode, where actual things appear to happen? I'm in the middle of the first episode, and I'm like "what the gently caress am I watching?"

Just wait another 5 weeks and skip to the last episode

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I like how the aspect ratio has the bonus effect of making the sitcom parts feel extra closed in and more artificial.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Re Hulk, spoilered just in case Tim Roth is going to show up in the She-Hulk series.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

sliami posted:

does vision have nuts

Yes, and bolts too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Thundercracker posted:

I want Michael B Jordan and Chris Evans to appear, but they're both the Human Torch. Like Urkel and Stephen.

I knew it wasn't going to happen but I was like "come on, let it be Urkel" when the doorbell rang at the end of the episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Children appear in the commercials, I don't know if that's supposed to mean anything though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Dish soaps dry out your hands, if you're cool with cracked knuckles then more power to you and congratulations on saving $1 on a bottle of hand soap with aloe in it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Bleck posted:

that's because it is a soap, a thing it has in common with other soaps

That's why you use one designed for hands!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Thr Loki show is literally about timeline and dimensions so I'm sure a bunch of this stuff will be mentioned/expanded on.

When it comes to time travel I just assume the timeline they're focusing on is the "real" one. No one cares what happened to Marty's original timeline or what happened to the bad 1985 timeline because the narrative focus is from Marty's perspective so that's the correct one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They've contacted two!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Elephanthead posted:

How does Piedro know Vision is dead. Didn't he die first?

I think it's one of two things:

Since Pietro is also dead and aware of what is going on he can see through the illusions that Wanda has created.

or

As some other posters have speculated, he's not actually Pietro but another character impersonating her brother and trying to figure out how she was able to entrap the whole town, so he knows the truth behind Vision.

kazz posted:

This was my feeling as well. I also felt like he was intentionally distracting Wanda from thinking about Vision this episode. I found it odd that after her conversation with Herb, she wasn’t concerned where Vision was or what he was doing.

I assumed that Wanda knew that Vision couldn't leave Westview and he will eventually come home and she can confront him about the lie then. At the moment she's spending time with her kids and brother, why leave that to go have an argument?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
What if it's Luke Skywalker?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Bill Foster die in Ant-Man 2?

No, as far as I can remember he goes into hiding with Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Jimmy went to Westview to check on someone in the witness protection program, did they ever reveal who that person is? Is it important or just a plot device to set things in motion?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Just use the tags.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The music reminded me a lot of Arrested Development.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Desperado Bones posted:

it also had Asgardian/Norse symbols, so I dunno if it was just a stylish choice ("Ohh is magical~!") or if it's really linked to the World Tree.
Edit: Or The Aether.
What did The Aether even did? lol I didn't like Thor 2 that much so I forgot what was with it.

The Aether was the red goo that was compressed into the reality stone by Thanos.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

So during the Agatha All Along sequence, any idea what kind of magic Agatha was working during the talent show when Wanda was doing her magic show? They show her doing some magic-y thing.

Maybe the "for the children" part?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Splash Attack posted:

i don’t think agatha is the big bad because her reveal, while amazing, seemed deliberately over the top. and if sword isn’t watching the broadcast, who is , and is agatha putting on a performance for them?

It's for us, the audience. The episode is literally titled "Breaking the fourth wall".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

FogHelmut posted:

They're talking about the wall between dimensions.

There was no mention of dimensions at all in the episode and multiple characters talk directly to the camera, so I disagree with that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Why don't they wish for more infinity stones??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's a comic book movie. Arguing about why the green radioactive guy, the unfrozen guy from WW2, and the Norse god of thunder didn't use time travel to stop the giant purple guy with a magic glove before he turn half of the universe into dust is inherently silly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Supercar Gautier posted:

Some of the theories here are reminding me of the Good Place threads where people kept dreaming up Big Twists that would have been repetitive or invalidated the existing plot.

"This other neighbour is ALSO actually a superhero/villain" is just repeating the same twist. It wouldn't work twice.

"It's actually NOT Agatha" is a twist that would undermine the plot point we just got (we haven't even been shown what Agatha's plan IS and already people want to undo her upcoming storyline!)

I dunno, like, speculation is free, but come on lmao.

Welcome to TVIV

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I wish I came from a dimension where I didn't read that post.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Robot Hobo posted:

I saw that the license plate on Wanda's car said "Excelsior" underneath the plate number, which I thought was another clever Stan Lee nod, since that was one of his catchphrases.

But then I checked, and some NY license plates starting in 2020 do just have that on them as a motto in real life. Looking further, that motto was chosen in late 2019, and may have actually been a reference to Stan's catchprase all along, since so much of his work was so iconic to New York. At this point, it's either an Inception-level license-plate gag, or a complete coincidence.

Excelsior has been the NY state motto since 1778. NY updates their license plate design every 5 years or so, the current one features the motto. They amended the motto to include E Pluribus Unum in 2020. Odds are Stan Lee got Excelsior from the state seal, not the other way around.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm only in season 6 of my initial watch of AoS but it's real fun and I like it. Season 3 is my favorite so far, really liked how they ended it. I feel like the show drifts away from the MCU in the seasons after though, and I kinda miss that aspect of it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

Wait Wanda was born in 89? Shes 31 without the 5 year scan? A little surprising.

Elizabeth Olsen is 32.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

If helping save just shy of half of all life in the universe doesn't get you a pardon, what the gently caress does?

A close personal relationship with the president and an anonymous donation of a million dollars.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Desperado Bones posted:

I think only on TV and movies. IF I recall correctly it had to do with not wanting to imply that the couple, even if married, were having sex. I'll do a quick google search, but I do remember that was the case.

Yes it was because of puritanical broadcast standards of the day, Lucy and Ricky also had separate beds on I Love Lucy. It's also why the production studio originally told Carl Reiner that MTM could only wear capri pants once per episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Have they said where the SWORD headquarters is located? It looks like Florida but also it must be in driving distance of New Jersey because Wanda drove there and Heyward said he was going to back to the office in one episode.

MCU wiki says it's in Florida. You can drive from Florida to NJ, it takes about 15 hours depending on where you start and end. I assume the director of SWORD has a private jet or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lord Hydronium posted:

I believe they indicated there had been a week's gap or so in between (or enough time for Wanda to attend Tony's funeral, go to SWORD and then to Westview, and for Jimmy Woo to notice something was up and call SWORD).

Hayward says it's been three weeks in episode 4.