Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

I really just want Hulk Hands to be canon.

There was a time when Deadpool and Hawkeye teamed up and Deadpool invented a trick arrow that was just Hulk Hands filled with explosives at the end of an arrow. I want that to show up in the Hawkeye Disney+ series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

thrawn527 posted:

I also have a feeling there are plenty of Easter Eggs I'm missing. I noticed a few (Sword and Hydra logos), but I'm sure there's more.

There's a clever little Easter egg in the dinner scene. The wine she pours is called Maison du Mepris, which translates to "House of Contempt." But there's emphasis on the M on the neck of the bottle, suggesting House of Mepris/House of M. House of M being the big Marvel story where Wanda rewrote reality on Earth completely.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

A note about the first commercial: the toaster very much resembles what Ultron's original form looked like in the comics.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Interesting Easter egg someone pointed out: During the second episode's intro, when cartoon Vision is floating through the house, Grim Reaper's helmet is for some reason laying around in-between the floors.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I was a little disappointed to learn this explicitly was set after the most recent movie where a bunch of people die but I like reality bending stuff with lots of hidden details so I will probably stick with it for a bit.

The main important thing to know is Vision is absolutely dead before this. Like, the stone from his head was brutally torn from his skull, leaving him a gray husk. Later on, said stone was destroyed, so it wasn't like he was going to get rebuilt. Just him being there is a red flag.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Figured out how to improve the second episode.

https://twitter.com/barelysushi/status/1351330612133711874

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I can't believe they got away with doing an episode partially based on what's considered one of the worst storylines in Marvel history, Avengers #200. It was Carol Danvers in the comics, but doing a storyline where one of the Avengers goes through a mysterious and super-quick pregnancy and nobody seems to bat much of an eye about it can't be a coincidence.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

massive spider posted:

Youre thinking of Its a Good Life episode of the Twilight Zone which was indeed parodied in a Simpsons halloween special.

Plus Desperado Bones is kind of mixing it with the sequel (the boy growing up to have a daughter with the same powers) and the movie adaptation (someone being thrown into a cartoon).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Terror Sweat posted:

This really does feel like a disney version of Legion, I hope they do more with it, because legion is hard to top and this show is not even close

If anything, the show reminds me of the Justice League cartoon two-parter "Legends." It's basically the same story, only instead of old sitcoms, it's 1950's style corny superhero adventures.

I'm wondering if it will have a similar ending, where Vision chooses to oppose Wanda, knowing that doing so will cause him to cease to exist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Everyone posted:

I don't think there will be somebody/something actually controlling Wanda to do this. It all seems to personal to her. There might well be some entity subtly influencing her - perhaps the "devil" that Agnes mentioned in Episode 2. Wanda is obviously incredibly powerful, but she's also incredibly vulnerable due to her grief and trauma. So, of course she'd be susceptible to a suggestion for a way to get Vision back and live "happily ever after" - especially if she thought they were her own idea.

I feel there's definitely another force influencing her based entirely on the children. The first episode has people casually asking why they don't already have children while the second episode has the very cult-like "FOR THE CHILDREN." Somebody wants her to want kids.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jedit posted:

Wanda is a young woman in a relationship with an android and her entire family had died. I imagine that kids were very much on her own mind.

Then she wouldn't need a bunch of people mindlessly repeating "FOR THE CHILDREN" at her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Batmasterson posted:

Trying to think outside of the box, my personal theory for this show is that this Wanda and Vision are actually from the timeline where the Avengers went to get the stones in endgame. Thanos left that timeline and died in the MCU, and that's why Vision is still alive. SWORD exists in this timeline instead of SHIELD, which is why we've never heard of it in the MCU before. The end of this show will some how involve merging into the MCU, possibly giving us Vision back.

I really like this theory, but then I just realized that it doesn't match up with the big Vision/Agnes moment from the trailer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I hope when they get to the 90's, Wanda starts summoning Rodney Dangerfield for sage advice.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

radlum posted:

It would be kind of amusing if the Wonder Man teases are just for a dumb joke of Vision playing his douchey actor brother.

I'd take that over Nathan Fillion.

Interesting thing I noticed when revisiting the glitchy moments of the show is that it isn't until she's pregnant that Wanda is all-in on keeping the facade. At the magic show, she's trying to tell Vision about the helicopter toy and radio incidents, but gets interrupted by his gum-drunkenness. That's night and day from shutting down Vision for suggesting something's off in the next episode.

I'm still of the mind that there's more to the situation than just Wanda's doing. Somebody else is benefiting from this (probably the creation of the children) and Wanda is going along with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm just happy because the more Jimmy Woo we get, the more likely we'll one day get an MCU version of Agents of Atlas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The other day it hit me that if someone was watching the events of WandaVision as a sitcom, did that mean that the events of the day were abridged and shown in that form or were time and space jumping around in that 30 minutes?

So I appreciate that one of the military guys asked that immediately.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

It's been basically handwaved away as "Banner/Hulk is smart and they calculated for all of it when they had the gauntlet, which gave them infinite power" and everyone got back safe

I kind of like that explanation because it's a good payoff to everyone standing their ground that Thor should absolutely NOT be in charge of wielding the Gauntlet no matter how strong and desperate for redemption/importance he was.

The World Inferno posted:

Really, really hope there isn't a bad guy controlling or influencing Wanda, as it both feels unnecessary and would undermine this rather beautiful setup they have for a grieving lost loved one.

Even in House of M, the big "Wanda controls reality and makes herself happy" storyline, it wasn't ALL her. Pietro came up with the idea and talked her into it. That didn't mean Wanda was guiltless and wasn't being dangerously consumed by her issues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing I'm expecting to see down the line is Wanda recreating Vision to suit her so excessively that at one point he'll no longer really resemble the android she loved.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

It seems to be just the opposite. She's brought him back too well. Every single episode so far he's questioned the weirdness. I assume because she knows what he's 'supposed' to be like, she made him correct, whereas the 'cast' of WandaVision are just playing stereotypical roles to fit her idyllic life. The problem is that the real Vision wouldn't want to live like this.

Right, for now. But the moment he questioned things, she rubber-banded it back and he's in agreement. It seems like the two are going to throw down over the fate of the town. I could easily see Wanda destroying Vision, but then rebuilding him so he's more agreeable. She'll get what she wants, but not really.

The whole thing reminds me of a comic called Dream War where a magical kid in the Wildstorm Universe conjures up a bunch of DC heroes to kill the Wildstorm heroes for whatever reason. They start out as one-dimensional antagonists, but the more realized they become, the more it affects their behavior. Like early on, Green Arrow is casually killed in a group fight scene. Later on, when Batman is killed, Superman is horrified and wonders, "Hal, Ollie was your best friend. How come none of us cared when he died? Why are we doing this? What is this?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The X-man cometh posted:

Isn't he sitting in a Wakandan jail cell right now? Maybe Shuri needs his face to rebuild Vision.

WakandaVision?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I have to imagine the scene of Wanda confronting SWORD was directly inspired by Magneto vs. the police from the first X-Men movie just to setup the Pietro reveal later.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Laughing Zealot posted:

So, the Lagos paper towel advert. Any specific reference there I'm missing?

In addition to what's been stated, I've seen the idea that each commercial is linked to a different Infinity Stone.

Toaster: (forgot the explanation for this one)
Watch: Time Stone, natch
Soap: Space Stone due to resembling the Tesseract
Paper Towels: Reality Stone, as it's used to clean up a red liquid

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

thrawn527 posted:

The Paper Towels were named after the city from Civil War where Wanda and the Avengers kind of hosed up and had that explosion that killed people in the building. And the tagline for the towels something like, "For cleaning up the messes you didn't mean to make." So I don't think the commercials are supposed to be linked to the stones, but just revealing traumas in Wanda's past. Not sure how that links up with the soap one, though.

There's no reason it can't represent multiple things.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NowonSA posted:

I'm very on board for the "pull back the curtain" reveal of exactly how the Westview situation began through some flashbacks, and I hope we get that in episode 7 or 8.

We're definitely getting some kind of "how it started" flashback considering the trailers have a moment of black-and-white Vision lovingly greeting Wanda as if they hadn't seen each other in so long.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ryan Reynolds as a UPS/FedEx guy in a cameo in WandaVision would rule.

He should be the next door neighbor Wilson, giving Vision friendly advice while we can only see the top half of his red and black mask over the fence.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SWORD should just call in Terry Crews and have him use his powers to turn Westview into an Old Spice commercial, overwhelming Wanda.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

teacup posted:

So I posted this then you idiots had a soap derail

Did no one else notice this guy has not been mentioned at all?

I don't know if it was from this forum or Twitter or what, but I recall someone saying that the ice cream guy in the intro to the third episode is the same actor. He was supposedly assimilated into the sitcom's neighborhood.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've been watching through the 90's Avengers cartoon for an article I'm writing (namely how it's inadvertently relevant for MCU Phase 4). Some random thoughts:

- The "oh, remember the big three!" split second reminder at the end of the opening credits will never not be funny. For those who haven't seen it, the cartoon is supposed to take place far enough along the Avengers' existence that the founders (Cap, Iron Man and Thor) had already left. Cap and Iron Man each show up for one episode. Thor doesn't. They still appear extremely briefly at the end of the intro.

- Ultron sounds exactly like the "Powered by the Cheat" ugly flash cartoon version of Strong Bad.

- Vision is hilariously overpowered compared to most of his teammates, so of course he just hangs out in the background most of the time.

- This is the last show in the 90's Marvel cartoon universe (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man Unlimited). I like the irony that for this media expanded universe, introducing the Avengers is what kills that continuity.

- There's an episode where Wanda and Vision fight Salem's Seven and when facing Nicholas Scratch, Wanda's repeated, high-pitched, incredulous reading of "Nicholas!" keeps making me think of Nick Swardson's stand-up routine about impressing his grandmother with his average strength. Every time she'd yell "Nicholas!" me or my wife would just yell, "You should fight crime!"

- We should count our lucky stars that Wolverine was as cool and likable as he was because cartoon Hawkeye was THE WORST. Angry at everything for no reason and constantly whining.

- Tigra was obviously just Rogue... but a cat.

- The explosion effects are a special kind of terrible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

First off, JESUS what an ending.

Secondly, I laughed super hard when they very pointedly referenced Kick-rear end because of Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Peters was in it too!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ignis posted:

What was it? I missed it

When Pietro and the kids decide to go run off and get candy together, Tommy yells "KICK-rear end!" After they run off, a confused Wanda goes, "Kick-rear end...?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of theories going around on the ads, including that they correspond to a period of Wanda's like as depicted and/or the Infinity Stones, the latter mostly through colour.
-Stark-Tech toaster being the bomb with the red for the Reality Stone
-Strucker watch being their time in HYDRA and obviously the Time Stone
-Hydra-Soak being the brainwashing possibly both that they received and she inflicted on the Avengers, and with focus on a blue box that's clearly the Tesseract/Space Stone
-Lagos towels clearly being the disaster in Lagos and the orange liquid the Soul stone

For the latest one, A kid trapped on an island with a magic-branded cup he can't open is probably a reference to Wanda being imprisoned in The Raft in Civil War. And the purple cup (despite supposedly being strawberry) may be the Power Stone, which does gently caress up non-Thanos people who touch it. Also, this format may be spoiling how many episodes the show's going to have. At least in its current format.

The way I've seen it explained:

- Toaster: Designed to be Vision's head. The glowing forehead dot is the Mind Stone.
- Watch: Obviously the Time Stone.
- Soap: Made to look like the Tesseract, AKA the Space Stone.
- Paper towels: It's cleaning up a red liquid and the Reality Stone takes the form of red liquid.
- Yo-Magic: A skeleton is doomed to exist, alone, in a desolate land with no escape. Just like the guy guarding the Soul Stone.

That leaves the Power Stone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Technowolf posted:

It's just an ad for Power Stone

Oddly, nobody from WandaVision or Power Stone were in the Marvel vs. Capcom games.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Vision based Master Mold would be dope.

*Vision tries to leave the Hex*

"I AM STILL PLUGGED IN!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm guessing next week is going to be the last real sitcom episode. I figure we'll see Wanda hit her limits and we'll get a big reveal about the unseen threat in all of this. Then episode 8 will be a prequel episode explaining how Wanda got to Westview while episode 9 will be the epic conclusion.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it's that kind of pro wrestling logic where, when we the audience discover Woo is actually really loving good at his job when he's not being a dork, it makes Scott Lang look even cooler for outwitting him

Woorange Cassidy

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, they really should have called in They Might be Giants

Quicksilver was Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Now he's Evan Peters not Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Been a long time gone since Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Now on Disney+, which will have Moon Knight

Every twin of Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Lives with Evan Peters, not Aaron Taylor-Johnson
So if you throw a hex at Aaron Taylor-Johnson
You'll be knocking back Evan Peters

Even Ruffalo was once the Fight Club guy
Why recast him? I can't say
Spinoffs are much more better that way!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In terms of the Yo-Magic commercial, I've figured four different readings of it:

- Going with the "commercials = Wanda's trauma in chronological order" pattern, it's how she was during Captain America: Civil War. To a lesser extent, the way she was trapped in house arrest, but mostly how she was during the final act. When Iron Man visited the island prison, the other prisoners shouted abuse at him, but Wanda just sat in her cell, dead-eyed with a straitjacket on. The situation absolutely hosed her up.

- The people in Westview, especially those who are living animated gifs, are doomed to die. There's a ticking clock to this situation and somebody has to do something soon.

- Whatever the unseen major evil is (Mephisto, Nightmare, etc.), it's feeding on Wanda's magic. Considering Pietro is probably something sinister, his opening line about wanting to squeeze his sister to death comes off as creepier in retrospect.

- Based on the theory that each commercial coincides with a different Infinity Stone, the claymation kid's fate is much like Red Skull's on Vormir, tying things into the Soul Stone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Edmund Lava posted:

Herbert is the name of the High Evolutionary in the comics, and the one responsible for the twins getting their powers in the current origin.

I’m assuming he’s just a guy and the name is just a reference.

I doubt they're going to go with that, but if they do, the Frankenstein monster is a pretty clever Halloween costume.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One minor thing that sort of skeeves me out about the latest episode is when Wanda and Vision are having their little argument and Billy looks to the camera to do one of his fourth-wall monologues, Pietro gives him the side-eye. I get the feeling that only Billy and Tommy are supposed to be able to be aware of those bits, so Pietro quietly acknowledging it feels really creepy. Especially since he acts on what Billy's saying a moment later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lid posted:

My hope is that they bring in all the Avengers

All of them

I want MCU Jack of Hearts, Triathlon, Moon Dragon, D-Man, Swordsman...

Unironically i expect Thunderstrike to be in Thor.

Swordsman is supposed to show up in the Hawkeye show.

A little surprised D-Man never showed up on any of the Netflix shows.