Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

The bengals professed strategy for a backup quarterback in Brandon Allen is a dude that sees the field similarly to him and can help him break down plays on the sideline. Seems kind of dumb Imo. If you want another coach why not just hire another coach? That way you don't need to put that person on the roster. Feels like the unstated thought process there is they feel they're hosed if Joe goes down so they might as well just give Joe his guy.

There's that famous quote from Peyton's time on the Colts that goes:

Ron Jaworski posted:

Jon asked Tom why he wasn't giving some snaps to Peyton's backups. [offensive coordinator Tom] Moore is a man of few words, but when he talks, those words have weight. He looked us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, "Fellas, if '18' goes down, we're hosed. And we don't practice hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Still remembering when the Broncos were up by like 4 TDs and Osweiler grabbed his helmet to go in but nope there goes Peyton

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Pron on VHS posted:

They are simply asking the backup if he can fill the starters shoes

That depends. Are the starter's feet bigger? :dadjoke:

Intruder posted:

Still remembering when the Broncos were up by like 4 TDs and Osweiler grabbed his helmet to go in but nope there goes Peyton

This was amazing and I was dying when it happened.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Intruder posted:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Intruder posted:

Four touchdowns and a field goal.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I wish I was around to see Randall Cunningham as a rookie. I haven't really watched many games from that era but I understand they had a scheme where they'd put him in as QB on every 3rd down, to mess with defensive tempo and just generally increase the chaos factor? It's a dumb idea but a cool idea, it would be fun to see special plays drawn up that actually feature a backup quarterback for some reason, as if they had a particular skill that was better than the regular QB. Alas, putting your best player in the game every time seems to be the optimal strategy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Saints kind of did that with Taysom Hill and the result of that experiment just reinforces why you wouldn't really want to make it a serious part of your plan

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

palindrome posted:

I wish I was around to see Randall Cunningham as a rookie. I haven't really watched many games from that era but I understand they had a scheme where they'd put him in as QB on every 3rd down, to mess with defensive tempo and just generally increase the chaos factor? It's a dumb idea but a cool idea, it would be fun to see special plays drawn up that actually feature a backup quarterback for some reason, as if they had a particular skill that was better than the regular QB. Alas, putting your best player in the game every time seems to be the optimal strategy.

Randall Cunningham was really proto-Vick in that you always wanted to watch when he was on the field because he might bust some magical poo poo. He was a fantastic player to watch, and I'm glad he got a second act because his knee injuries really robbed him of his speed.

The circumstances around his starting were a little different. Jaworski was old and moderately effective, and Cunningham was always meant as his replacement. But he was drafted the year before Buddy Ryan, who likely just saw him as a gadget player to get some moderate use of. Jaws went down and Cunningham started, was really really good, so ended up keeping the job.

It kinda helped that Buddy couldn't give a poo poo less about his offense, in that his benign neglect allowed Cunningham room to create. He had an absolutely magical couple of years there, in an absolutely weird situation. Black QBs were still unicorns, and Buddy Ryan absolutely would not have drafted him. If there had been any other (white) option available, Ryan would have took it. But he was there, he got his shot, he made the most of it, and was good enough that even a racist piece of poo poo like Ryan couldn't take the spot away from him.

If modern sports medicine had been around when he tore his ACL, he'd have likely set every QB rushing record out of reach of Vick.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

The Saints kind of did that with Taysom Hill and the result of that experiment just reinforces why you wouldn't really want to make it a serious part of your plan

I know we're not supposed to talk about fantasy outside of the fantasy forum but that fucker Taysom Hill ruined me in my money league by snaking all those potential Kamara touchdowns. And this was before he signed his extension so it felt like it was the Saints loving with him on purpose

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Cool, thanks for the Randall write-up. I knew about a little bit culturally and from video games (touchdown QB eagles!) but it sounds like he may have helped pave the way for more black quarterbacks and normalizing the concept of QB run as a constant threat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Madden Lamar Jackson anywhere near as dominant as Madden Randall Cunningham or Madden Michael Vick were, or is it basically just impossible to run with the quarterback now?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

Is Madden Lamar Jackson anywhere near as dominant as Madden Randall Cunningham or Madden Michael Vick were, or is it basically just impossible to run with the quarterback now?

Madden Vick was borderline Techmo Bowl Bo Jackson and nothing else has come close to it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Madden Vick was borderline Techmo Bowl Bo Jackson and nothing else has come close to it.

Tecmo Cunningham QB Eagles is nearly as dominant as Bo was in the same game, and in the right hands was honestly even worse. The nature of Tecmo was such that you could stop or consistently contain Bo Jackson if you really wanted to, particularly if you were using the default playbooks and knew how to read either of Bo's running plays at the snap. QB Eagles was already had top 5 passer skills in the game, and would have been in the top 10 for speed among running backs, so every pass play in the game had the potential to be a touchdown based on his arm or his legs, and you couldn't as easily key on him pre-snap like you could Bo. There were other great runners in Tecmo: Barry Sanders was only one notch slower and a better receiving threat with a better playbook, :thurman: was almost as good as well, plus guys like Christian Okoye and Ottis Anderson who had massive Hitting Power ratings that shrugged off most defenders and had good speed, but no other QB came close to QB Eagles in max speed (His default was 56, the next closest anyone could come in even Excellent condition was still two notches lower at 44, and that was only Vinny Testaverde and Rodney Peete who are considerably lesser passers).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guess who has a new lawsuit against him for assaulting a masseuse in December 2020?

https://www.news5cleveland.com/spor...session-in-2020

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Also hazard a guess as to whose suspension stipulates that nothing that comes up from before the suspension was handed down can be used to extend it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

fast cars loose anus posted:

Also hazard a guess as to whose suspension stipulates that nothing that comes up from before the suspension was handed down can be used to extend it

jfc i hate this league.

that's admitting that he definitely assaulted a ton of women buuuuuuuttttt so long as he stops doing it now that he's suspended, we're all good.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This is why they should have given him an indefinite suspension and keep adding to it when stuff like this happened. The league is the worst.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys it’s fine Cleveland made sure he was only losing a couple million from these suspensions so he’s totally okay 🤗 TY browns!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There is an avenue for them to continue the suspension if the therapist or whatever doesn't feel like he's done whatever it is they said he needs to do, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume that's a rubber stamp because the NFL has exactly zero benefit of the doubt in the situation.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm sure it will be fine. I can't think of any very recent examples where the NFL employed independent third parties to review player treatment and it worked out EXTREMELY POORLY :thunk:

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeFB/status/1580963414834548736

No need to worry. The NFL is working hard trying to find the guy who did this.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ayudo posted:

NFL: Did DeShaun Watson sexually assault you?

WOMAN: Yes

NFL: Our investigation continues.

In reality the NFL doesn't even talk to the woman.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ayudo posted:

They’re monitoring Google Trends as we speak.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hizawk posted:

NFL: Did DeShaun Watson sexually assault you?

WOMAN: Yes

NFL: Our investigation continues.

In reality the NFL doesn't even talk to the woman.

This is not true, the nfl will talk to the woman and ask her why she was wearing such a revealing outfit and if she was asking for it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

really queer Christmas posted:

This is not true, the nfl will talk to the woman and ask her why she was wearing such a revealing outfit and if she was asking for it.

It was a woman asking those questions though, so it's okay.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This is where I remind people that Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a whore in a pre-draft interview and it resulted in a minor PR issue and no punishment. The NFL doesn't give a gently caress about women beyond how they affect their players' ability to play on Sunday.

They're going to hope this is the last one because it's all that's left for them to do, which is a situation they purposefully put themselves in. "Gosh this is terrible but there's an agreeeeeeeeement" means they don't have to risk anything or make a hard decision

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The wording was weird but yeah Ireland really hosed that up. Even continued and asked if his mother was still addicted to drugs etc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5140313

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dez Bryant denied saying it, but the reported story was that Bryant said that his dad was a pimp, and that his mom worked for his dad.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1581994650906214400?s=46&t=oUwXoBy81FapX1tOcAm5Zw

Lmao rekt

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

RIP Littlefinger

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Considering he’s been dropped for no particular reason that means someone even stronger has taken his place

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wonder what it finally took to get him out of there

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Nodoze posted:

Executive Vice President of football operations Josh Mccown

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lakewood Church to announce new youth pastor tomorrow

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Lovie Smith is low-key a big internal power struggle guy. I bet that was part of it.

Easterby wasn't translating to a better product in the field and the Texans outward image is only worse than the Browns (because they traded FOR the player). Still, it's amazing that McNair fired Easterby given how he had the man's ear.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What an unceremonious end to this two-year saga.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was curious about the timing and it lines up:

The Texans started giving Watson NDAs in November of 2020.

The Texans fired their award winning PR person in November of 2020.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

syzpid posted:

I was curious about the timing and it lines up:

The Texans started giving Watson NDAs in November of 2020.

The Texans fired their award winning PR person in November of 2020.

lol