Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

“you might lose this guy who’s sabotaging your organization!”
“oh no!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"what's our messaging on this?"
"well, our franchise qb and our beloved defensive end who are both in the top 3 of our franchise's history in terms of what they've contributed and how beloved they are really don't like having this guy around, and they think you're ignoring their concerns because this guy has too much sway over your opinion. overall everyone's confidence in your ability to run this team and make hires to set the franchise up to be successful is rapidly evaporating for a guy with no football experience whom most of the players feel neutrally or negatively towards and whom coaches and gms who are not named nick caserio are going to be incredibly wary of working with. also constantly waffling on this coaching hire is drawing out this process and magnifying scrutiny on this incredibly bad situation."
[mcnair scrolling through 2013 memes on his phone] "i got it!"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

i mean, would you

especially considering the decisionmakers are a bunch of dipshits humping the patriot way

plus if you think you're in a position to lobby for a coaching candidate and you can think of a qualified minority candidate in a sport where they're woefully underrepresented, why wouldn't you

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i wasn't posting at the time but i just thought up mcnair bud 2: traded receiver

i hope this is funny

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if they don't hire bienemy, most likely

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if it was older it might be real but it’s two days after he got hired as texans gm, it’s responding to stuff like that easterby video rather than focusing on stuff that’s critical of caserio and the texans specifically, and above and beyond anything else, it hasn’t been deleted yet despite being called out as a burner

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Seems like it would be pretty fun to make fake burner accounts to get people in trouble.

do you really think someone would do that? tell lies on the internet?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

surely even the most incompetent mcnair recognizes that this isn’t even kinda sorta how you run a business

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

everybody loves a blaccent*

*offer does not apply to people of color

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Intruder posted:

lol this whole mess has Texans fans theorycrafting now that Deshaun signed his extension with the express intent of balling out this season to make himself attractive then forcing his way to a better team

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/2/9/22274086/deshaun-watson-trade-speculation-a-new-theory

but why not just not sign and then get tagged and traded??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Intruder posted:

I 100% believe Jack led Cal into being born again and Cal will let the team die before he turns on his savior

i always figured it was his second wife and the reason easterby got this far was because of his jesus connections rather than the other way around

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

there's gonna be some sideline prayer for sure

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

never trust anyone who shows bottom and top teeth when they smile

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fartknocker posted:

No sane person should be attracted to the Houston Texans unless their sole motivation is “gently caress, that’s a lot of money, I guess I can put up with this loving idiot” for they know not what they’re entering into.

there is a lot someone will put up with for low-to-low-mid 8 figures

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

you'll notice the rest of the team hasn't asked their way off just yet, and agents aren't doing targeted leaks of "everybody wants the gently caress out of here"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

are mizzou fans happy with mizzou?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

when it comes to the watson situation i don't know how much i blame it on easterby and how much i blame it on a sort of intrinsic cultural divide between the people who own sports teams and the people who play on sports teams

i don't want to say millionaire athletes are more *normal* than billionaire financiers, since to reach the position of pro athlete you have to be a crazed obsessive by any normal person's standards

but if you're an athlete you probably didn't grow up that rich (barring the rare born-with-a-silver spoon character like brady or a manning), probably grew up with something approximating normal relationships, still experience a degree of precarity since your career is short and the golden parachute doesn't work for you in quite the same way it does for finance guys, etc

watson's issues with the organization are totally understandable from a regular person's perspective (doesn't like Cal, feels disrespected by Cal, doesn't have confidence in the organization since Cal is so attached to easterby), but Cal probably can't compute them since those aren't things your brain understands if you grew up amid billionaire wealth.

otoh, if there’s one thing rich and powerful people understand, it’s respect.

maybe not cal mcnair specifically

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

i don't know about that
or rather i don't know that they understand it in the same sense that a player would

they understand hierarchy, they spend their whole lives either schmoozing to bigger rich guys or expecting smaller rich guys to schmooze to them

but like..."I respect this person's abilities and appreciate the opportunity to collaborate with them" type respect, no

you have that with teammates and family and coworkers, which billionaires don't have

basically what I'm getting at is billionaires are all solipsistic sociopaths who believe they're the only person who exists , they might understand social inputs and outputs in the way you'd understand pushing a button, but they don't understand relationships beyond that. They're like squids.

when watson says "cal, i don't like you, i refuse to work for you any more" i think cal doesn't get it because the only "work" a billionaire ever does is cutting deals with people they don't care about in order to gain advantage over other people they don't care about. Not one of them would ever think of refusing to do something on principle or out of personal disdain.

i would never defend billionaires, but i don't think they're drooling idiots

if a player gets mad because they feel that they're being frozen out of decisions, that's something that an owner can understand and process, because they understand delegation and compartmentalization. they might not care, or they might not think the player has the right to make those calls, but fundamentally there is an understanding of hierarchical relationships because that's all that wealth is.

billionaires aren't 4 year olds; they might not care that someone's upset but they can understand the basic principles behind "oh my talented employee is upset because they don't have power/influence over decisions that affect them" and they definitely refuse to do things out of personal disdain for them. that's how deandre hopkins got traded in the first place

i think it's way more evil for billionaires to be spiteful and cruel and reactionary and arbitrary while they understand the needs and wants of others rather than because they don't

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

The more I read up on this dude, the more blown away I am.

Man, just... does anyone know how he got his initial start into the league circles?

knew a guy who knew a guy; basically he went from SCAR to kansas city (ryan succop recommended him to scott pioli) and he embedded himself there after that one guy killed himself at the team facility and he ended up being really supportive and made a good impression on everyone, then scott pioli recommended him to the pats and to belichick because of the aaron hernandez disaster, and then he got brought in by b.o.b to the texans

the rest is history

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I like the perception that this pattern gives that “being coached by BoB” is a disaster on the scale of Jovan Belcher or Aaron Hernandez

i mean if you think about how they altered the course of each franchise,

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I can't think of a precedent for a team alienating a top young QB in the league so hard that they're just like "gently caress you, get me out of here."

Am I forgetting one?

fran tarkenton is the only one that comes to mind

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

uh huh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dolphins signed a totally washed jay cutler over kaep
colts have repeatedly signed worse qbs than kaep
loving god drat blake bortles is on the rams depth chart for some reason
ryan fitzpatrick keeps getting new deals
poo poo he can't even get a sniff backing up josh allen, who's flanked by two qbs (matt barkley and jake fromm) who bring 0 to the table in terms of being able to finish out a game in injury relief or in terms of remotely resembling josh allen's physical skills or playstyle

it's dumb and "well he's not good enough" is just buying into management's line

anyways deshaun can afford to call the texans' bluff and sit out a few games but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets some calls from de smith asking him to be a team player

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

haha yeah dude

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm sure everybody in this forum does something bad they would prefer people not find out about, but don't think it's bad enough to actually stop.

I knew someone in college who wasn't quite this lovely with women, but was pretty God drat lovely, and he just basically convinced himself that they were like pranks or practical jokes. Minimalizing your gently caress-ups internally is basic human nature.

this is a weapons grade awful take buddy

i think watson is aware enough to know that serial sexual assault is Bad, and given his involvement in social justice he has even less excuse

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

a patagonian cavy posted:

all lawyers are bastards

good podcast

dabo fuckin threaded that needle

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

Always a good idea to delete evidence during an active lawsuit and probable criminal probe. His attorney must be making GBS threads a brick.

ah yes the frank quattrone strategy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GD_American posted:

Clone Diana Moskovitz. I've said it ad nauseum, but I can't believe other sports outlets haven't tried to steal her from Deadspin/Defektor, or at least create their own. She's made breaking stories like these her bread and butter.

she sticks her thumb in the eye of power and doesn’t draw huge numbers of clicks. i think she’s great but ad people probably think she’s poison

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

It never has been. It's professional entertainment and is no more competitive sport than WWF.

interesting take

for a clown

at the circus

honk honk bitch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i mean i’d probably reserve judgment on buzbee’s lawyerin until more comes out; there are lots of reasons not to trust law enforcement with details on criminal behavior

Intruder posted:

His most famous judgement was a $100m award from BP that was reduced to $1m on appeal so :shrug:

that has more to do with the state of tort reform vs any actual evaluation of his lawyering

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

his body is beautiful and soft

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the timeline is
-watson gets traded for pennies on the dollar
-watson immediately gets “injured” and sits out for a whole year
-watson starts in 2022 and we hear about his “courage” for coming back from an injury and salacious headlines

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

About two weeks after the first suits against Watson were filed, a lawyer who said he was representing Texans owner Cal McNair did approach both attorneys, seeking to broker a mediation. A statement from the Texans organization, emailed by a team spokesperson, says, “Mr. McNair was aware that his personal attorney contacted both parties to suggest mediation. Mr. McNair has had no personal involvement in any of those discussions. The Houston Texans organization has not had any direct contact with either party.”

cal mcnair
-no personal involvement in a mediation
-personal lawyer just happened to offer to broker a mediation

texans
-no "direct contact" with either party

you're telling me the texans haven't been in direct contact with their star qb (whom they're presumably trying to avoid trading) in three months? and that cal mcnair's lawyer just happened to show up with mcnair's knowledge and mcnair had no direct involvement in engaging in mediation?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vick had a really hard time landing with another team didn’t he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i can say for certain that the miami dolphins, after hemming and hawing about it for two years, would definitely not do this deal

(at this price)

(under these conditions)

(at this time)