Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This guy has either managed to Forrest Gump his way through every recent NFL scandal or he framed Aaron Hernandez, drove Jovan Belcher to murder suicide, and was Josh Gordon’s drug supplier.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Man, imagine how smart you’d have to be to discern, in only two questions, that a guy who plays basketball at a highly competitive level at least kinda likes basketball and is better at it than most people he spends time with socially.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Not illegal, but I'm guessing humiliation.

Ah, a disciple of Jerry Falwell Jr.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is he in the NFL and not running a megachurch? Is that industry too crowded?

Lacks the charisma to fool anyone other than the richest and dumbest of people.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

This guy is supposedly really good but maybe he went full Rudy

No matter how good you are there’s only so much you can do when your client was using Instagram as a rape subscription service.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how Dabo essentially said “I hope it’s not true” but never really said it couldn’t be.

That’s about the best answer you can give in his situation. Anything else and he’s either calling the women liars or calling Watson a rapist before he’s even gotten to court.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

It does seem like with this many people that's unlikely, though. Even Weinstein was known in Hollywood to be a guy you don't wanna be in a room alone with.

I think the difference is Weinstein (and Louis CK and a lot of these other serial abuses) was doing this to people on his industry, so there’s a social amount of social proximity. If you were an actress he abused and you mentioned it to someone you work with the odds of that story getting around to someone else with the same experience are pretty reasonable, especially as he added more and more victims. So you start hearing the same stories from a lot of different places and it becomes just sort of a known thing and when it finally goes public you’ve got a bunch of people saying “yea, that been going on for years.”

Watson is picking people that don’t know him, don’t know his friends, and don’t know each other, so he can make them feel isolated.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

pasaluki posted:

It's not malpractice it is just incompetence. They have to care enough for it to be malpractice. They were so busy writing the hagiography of Watson because he supported all their favorite causes, that they couldn't bother to actually get to know the guy.

I guess we will see when all of the details come out but this seems like something you wouldn’t find if you weren’t specifically looking for it. I can’t really blame a journalist for not going around asking everyone they could find if Deshaun Watson is a sexual predator as part of their coverage of his support of BLM. That would raise a lot of red flags.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

It never has been. It's professional entertainment and is no more competitive sport than WWF.

It’s more competitive than the NFL, where Tom Brady wins half of all titles.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ehud posted:

My favorite moment so far today was when one of the lawyers said that maybe some of the women were just made uncomfortable massaging certain areas that Deshaun needed massaged to be a top QB.

I can’t throw for 300 and run for another 100 if I you don’t massage my prostate from the inside.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

"I wish ESPN would report on what's going on with Watson, it looks pretty bad!"

*monkey's paw curls a finger*

Honestly this is exactly what I thought of when people were saying that they were disappointed that sports media wasn’t reporting on this. Do we REALLY want these people creating the narrative around this?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

:lol: that is a person that isn't paying attention to cryptocurrency & what's going on right now.

Bitcoin only exists as a speculative asset tho.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The NFL is going to do everything they can to avoid taking any action until criminal charges have been filed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

the real answer is no one in the texans organization or the top of the nfl has the skill or willpower to actually do anything about this situation

they're all just failsons who coasted into their positions in life on the backs of their parents' accomplishments

instead of making any move that could prove risky they're just sitting on their hands and waiting for SOMEONE to do something

Yea, I think it’s sheer terror at making a decision that could somehow rebound on them and so they’re all just fervently hoping that charges get filed and gives them cover to put him on the list without having to answer any unpleasant questions about what their investigation uncovered that lead to them doing so.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I hope a team trades for him and the nfl puts him in the exemption list forever.

Ideally he goes to prison for has many crimes and whoever traded for him doesn’t even get the chance to lobby for him to be able to play.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I don’t have high hopes for The Texas justice system believing women.

VS a black athlete who spoke out about social justice?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

I have a feeling that even if it is the case, if he does put a player who hasn't even been charged with anything on it, it will not be the case in the next CBA

Different situation but Kareem Hunt was never charged with a crime but was still placed on the list. So the apparent standard isn’t that you need to be charged with a crime, it’s that you need to make sure there aren’t any cameras around when you sexually or physically assault women.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

On a side note, I’m not sure if I’d want my attorney using “gonna” in a public communication.

It’s Texas. If he doesn’t say gonna and ain’t and y’all people will just assume he’s a carpetbagger.

Speaking in local dialect is fine. It’s not a legal brief it’s a verbal exchange.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dan Snyder did.

A mostly empty parking lot what I'm assuming is pregame happens? Idgi

It’s a mostly empty parking lot at the start of the game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

They only hired Culley to appease Watson

I doubt they had many options. That’s a poo poo job even compared to other notorious poo poo jobs in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Texans just have this feel of “let’s try again in a few years” from the coaching staff all the way down. It’s a compliance exercise to see what the bare minimum requirements are to call yourself an NFL team and still participate in profit sharing. The entire roster and coaching staff will be completely turned over in three years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

But I mean, isn't there a professional requirement (or a personal financial incentive) to bring it to court?

What does the prosecutor gain by not moving forward the Deshaun Watson case? Outside of like bribery.

They gain not having to spend time trying a case they don’t want to try either for personal (think women deserve to be sexually assaulted) or professional (doesn’t think the case is winnable and losing with affect their reputation and conviction rate) reasons. And no, there’s really nothing that incentivizes them to actually try if the DA is fine with spiking the case.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So it’s basically the bosses of the prosecutors going “this is not evil nor efficient with our limited resources, I’m directing you to punt the case” ?

The bosses of prosecutors are District Attorneys who are elected officials who prioritize winning slam
dunk cases against poor people without the monetary resources or political clout to make them think twice.

They campaign on conviction rates and will avoid anything that might be either hard to win or be politically divisive. This case would be both.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Presumably it was the fully guaranteed 230 million dollars that sold him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

They spent over 50% more on guarantees on his contract than the last highest paid QB AND structured it to insulate him from NFL fines.

I don’t think the structure with the low first year salary is all that noteworthy. Lots of teams would have done that anyway just to mitigate the first year cap hit.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Really feels like a missed opportunity to not use a QB for Passover pictures.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Did any of the assaults happen outside of Texas? Any chance he could still be charged in another locality?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ayudo posted:

The Saints we're definitely in on Watson too. For one.

Yea, the Saints made a strong play for him and I’m extremely glad the Browns were stupid enough to offer him a fully guaranteed contract so I don’t have to watch him play for my team.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

There'll be minimum two thinkpieces about him being CPotY

I think everyone involved from the league side is going to do everything they can to avoid talking about it at all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nodoze posted:

He was just on vacation for two years

There are going to be some extremely strained circumlocutions no doubt. “During the past two years when Watson was not playing for off-the-field reasons….”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

syzpid posted:

He also ended up with a coach who hated his style of play and wanted Frank Gore style just run the ball in the called hole no matter what. Still doesn't explain his absolute disappearing act with the Chiefs though, I figured Reid could make good use out of him.

Vick looked really awful that first year with the Eagles, and even heading into his second season on the team they went with Kolb as starter until he got hurt. Vick could still show flashes of his old self, but he did do more of the off the field stuff too, like actually watching game film.

The main difference is that the Eagles weren't expecting much from Vick and it was a flyer for them. The Browns just gave up everything and need Watson to be good right now.

Vick barely played in 2009. He had 13 passing attempts. That’s not enough to say he looked like anything, good or bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bill drafting a gunner and small school lacrosse player in the first wouldn’t be particularly obnoxious.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I liked this part of that Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/drewdavenportff/status/1554241949611204608?s=21&t=B3osLX69EeIYqboOYrGEhg

Seems like a "you made your bed in how you handled the Ray Rice incident, now you have to lie in it" statement.

I mean, seems more like “you’ve made your bed and now the women being assaulted by your players will have to lie in it because it would be unfair to seriously punish violence against women now if you didn’t in the past.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I’m rooting for him to be suspended for as long as possible because it hurts the Browns, not because it’s a substitute for actual justice. The longer he has to sit the more it will give teams pause in the future about signing some piece of garbage rapist with a suspension hanging over their head.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

I’d rather see him fined 230 million bucks in this scenario.

I mean, if we’re talking pipe dream scenarios then why not a massive fine and a massive suspension?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

Yes, this is literally it. You’re being a chump by accepting this framework of argument over how many games in one football season a man will miss.

Nobody here has any power to change the framework. We all accept it, including you, because there’s no alternative. Joker laughing about it doesn’t make you enlightened, it’s just weird, like you can somehow delegitimize a process that doesn’t give a poo poo about you or what you think.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

The process was already delegitimized long before this point. Clinging to Roger’s chosen gladiator as the last hope of possible consequences for Watson seems silly to me, although not as silly as the pearl clutching about someone who finds the distinction in number of games suspended to be pointless.

It literally is the last hope of possible consequences for him. Nothing else is going to happen. This is it and nothing that happens as part of this process will change that, so the only possible results are “no consequences” or “meager consequences.” I’ll take meager consequences in that case since at least it might dissuade teams in the future for signing some other piece of poo poo with a looming suspension if they think that suspension could eat a whole year of his career, or more.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

How many teams were in the Watson hunt even after he was in the crosshairs? Eight, nine?

It might be the crucial factor for a 4th year blocking TE facing suspension. But there will always be suitors for top 5 talent at the top 1 position.

I agree, but I’ll also take what I can get. Maybe it means the next Kareem Hunt doesn’t get signed two minutes after they get cut.

Here’s the other reason I’d love a long suspension: I don’t want to loving see the guy. A year reprieve from having to see Deshaun Watson highlights or hear people on tv talk about him in a football player context would make watching football less miserable.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I remember reading that being on the exempt list would have counted as time served toward whatever the final suspension ends up being. Although I am not sure if that was from a good source or Twitter lawyering.

The judge in the arbitration said that the year he sat out did not count towards any suspension because he did so voluntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yes, but the big takeaway is that Goodell was actually smart to not put him on the exempt list last year when the story broke as it would have allowed his self imposed exile to count as time served towards a suspension.

I don’t think he was playing the long game, I think he’s just a coward and didn’t to anything because he didn’t have to as long as Deshaun wasn’t playing.