Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Schnitzler posted:

Split up and shoot down the nodes at the same time seems to be a good approach.

Yeah, I've completed it once on veteran so far, and it seems the best approach is just to speedrun it once you pass under the bridge, and make liberal use of the T5 grenades. If you take your time killing ridden and specials, you'll eventually just get overwhelmed because they'll be spawning faster than you can put them down.

Splitting up seems like a decent idea provided you're careful about being grabbed when you're split up (or pack a few stun guns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

tehinternet posted:

Regrettably of the next six runs, literally only one person communicated via mic. It’s goddamn awful. Why play a game like this if you aren’t using a mic?

I've played in several successful veteran games with pubbies where the only communication was using the in-game commands and directions, such as "Ready" or "Go Here" for telling folks to group up at a particular bottleneck.

I wouldn't necessarily say that using a mic is required to be successful, but communicating at all definitely is.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

tehinternet posted:

Counterpoint, you’ve got network issues

I’ve experienced this maybe like once out of 50 hours of gameplay

I’ve had pretty good success playing all the way through veteran multiple times with pubbies too surprisingly since the last update

So I mean I’d say that you need to check things on your end because the game is p drat good

I can't say that I've ever had this problem, either. I haven't had any technical glitches that have made it unplayable. And agreed that the game is p. drat good right now. Veteran especially is hitting my sweet spot of challenging fun.

I do have a problem sometimes when joining a game that's already in-progress: if I take over for a bot player when prompted, you will sometimes spawn without weapons. However, you will still be in the world and ridden will be hitting you and you'll be unable to defend yourself until your hands spawn in.

It seems like you can work around it just by waiting in third-person mode and let the bot play until you see the weapons in the bot's hands, and THEN join.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Ichabod Tane posted:

honestly, give me a card to pick what weapon I start with --- without it being a burn card.

What I wouldn't give to be able to play Mom without having to prioritize getting rid of the Belgian at the first opportunity. I'm too stubborn to figure out how to make that weapon usable.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

The Hambulance posted:

I generally dislike YouTube streamers (I'm old and grumpy), but Swingpoynt has a lot of good videos related to B4B. Prior to watching his videos, I had no idea what the upgrades did to slots 3, 4, and 5. Dude can talk incredibly fast, but his videos have changed the way I play the game. He really gets off into the weeds with the math, and I genuinely appreciate him showing how he figures everything out.

Thanks for this, I've watched a couple of his videos and I agree that Swingpoynt's information is really good. He's confirmed a few suspicions I had about mechanics (mostly that stumble loving rules and that kiting crushers is easy) and has taught me a few more things like how useful accuracy is.

Time to re-make all my decks!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Varkas posted:

I try to play just amongst friends so that we can coordinate cards like that.

For economy, usually the melee player will take copper scavenger and the rest of us will take money grubbers (which has a very confusing description that doesn't convey how great it really is. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocpDA_jAng ). We'll pretty much always be able to buy at least one of the team upgrades (often both).

After watching this video, I started putting money grubbers in just about every deck I have, and I can confirm that even without copper scavenger, I'm able to personally buy one of the upgrades every single level as long as you do a halfway decent job of spotting copper in cars and in the other usual resting places. Like you said, the description is really terrible at describing what it actually does, but so far, I think it's worth a spot in every deck.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Mendrian posted:

I mean there's also some pretty cool stuff in today's patch?

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with most of the changes so far. Especially:

quote:

Hoffman’s ability now includes a 1% chance to find offensive items on any kill and team ammo is increased to 15% from 10%.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Xaiter posted:

B4B is a game of attrition and on NM, the grindstone is a belt sander peeling off your hopes and dreams of surviving.

My nightmare group has found that coordinating specific card picks in your decks can really help in nightmare, especially in fighting attrition. We've generally settled on something pretty simple:

- Two people get Amped Up (+25 temp health any time a horde is triggered)
- Two people with On Your Marks (+15% ammo, increased reload speed and movement when a horde is triggered)
- All four players with Share the Wealth (+100 copper per safe room, stacks)

Putting two additional cards in each deck is pretty easy to do without majorly disrupting your ordinary build. Amped Up and On Your Marks will really give your team a lot of breathing room in dealing with the increased amount of hordes that you'll deal with, either via timers or from the hordes that sleepers draw on Nightmare. Our team hasn't had to resort to speedrunning on Nightmare whatsoever, although we do tend to get bogged down more often than we really should.

Getting on top of the team's copper economy early on really helps as well. Use burn cards like Windfall and Hired Gun to make sure you're getting at least one - ideally two - upgrades per safe room. The upgrades really start to snowball in power once you hit the midway point of the act when you're carrying around 4-5 blue or purple support items and offensive accessories.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Xaiter posted:

One small thing I'd suggest if you got a coordinated team. Don't use STW. Ideal copper generation is 1 Copper Scav + 1-4 Money Grubbers. Folks have done the math and MG is crazy profitable. You still want one Copper Scav to FIND the piles and spawn more piles to stack up MG's bonus.

I actually agree with you here, but for some reason I can't convince the rest of my team that MG + Copper Scav is better. We definitely take the time to loot cars and other out-of-the-way places for copper, so it's not like we're playing fast enough that STW is going to work out better in the long run.

Xaiter posted:

Banking like 5k cash after upgrades is pointless, but it is fun being able to smash your face into medcabs with like zero repurcussions.

Yeah, between this and having a glut of Urgent Care burn cards at your disposal, it really trivializes dealing with trauma damage - which also reduces the value of cards like field surgeon, making more room in your medic's deck for more useful cards.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

The Hambulance posted:

EDIT: While Sharice brings a lot to the table with her team bonus and spawning armor plates, Heng seems like a waste of time so far. Just an older Evangelo.

Swingpoynt recently published a video that suggests Heng is really good on No Hope, where you can start with all 15 cards in your deck drawn and just become a tanky beast of temp health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQMinR1x27s

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm looking for handy little details like "did you know you can grenade birds to get rid of them" or "you can escape a hag with a breakout card"

I know Youtube isn't the best medium for concise lists, bit Swingpoynt has a couple of videos on this sort of subject that I found very useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFThor8iiMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyTE4f9Czw

I haven't watched these since Tunnels of Terror came out but I imagine most or all of it is still relevant.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yeah same. I'm learning the hard way where all of the infinite spawns are.

Bad Seeds (4-1) on Nightmare and No Hope have an infinite horde after breaking the final nest node by the farm. Bring several pipebombs or firecrackers to give you enough space to cross the river and sprint to the exit.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

tehinternet posted:

They do

The zombies keep coming

I laughed.

Honestly, I kind of like the game not telling you. When our group first started doing nightmare and we didn't know which hordes were endless, we'd just be mowing down zombies for several minutes before someone asked the question ".....is this horde ever going to stop?"

<pregnant pause>

"...uhh is this an endless horde?"

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

TheJadedOne posted:

No Hope run done.

BonerKid posted:

We finished No Hope tonight and it was one hell of a slog.

Posting for posterity as the fourth wheel of this No Hope team. :getin:

The banner you unlock for finishing No Hope is pretty gnarly tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

BigglesSWE posted:

So every time someone gets pinned by a sleeper a horde spawns, did I get that right?

On Veteran or higher difficulties, yes. For a while, they only triggered hordes on Nightmare, but the June update re-added hordes for triggered sleepers on Veteran again.