Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

If you're familiar with both Gantz and the concept of gamification, "Alice in Borderland: Gantz: Gamified" will make sense.

Otherwise, it starts as a trio of firends each in different life situations they want to escape. And then they do! To an alternate world exactly the same as the Tokyo they left except they seem to be the only people in Tokyo.

This world has a series of games, with their difficulty linked to playing cards. Winning a game earns a "visa" -- a number of days that seems to be linked to the value of the playing card and thus difficulty -- where you don't have to engage in the games. But if it runs out or you lose a game, your brain gets lasered from on high.

The main character of the trio is a guy named "Arisu" which is a hilarious way to link to "Alice"

(i have no idea who this is but this image is used to promote the show on Netflix)

It's based on a manga that ran from 2010 to 2016 and, while not having read any of it, could be a proper subversion of the manga-anime-netflix adaptation joke.

I'm only on episode 3, it's great so far, and didn't see a thread here in TVIV (or ADTRW) so now there is one.

update: finished episode 3. it's absolutely Gantz but with bizarre games instead of bizzare alien hunts

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two episodes in because I'm vaguely interested in seeing more Asian television (and not animation).

Not convinced the blue dude can act tbh, and the show is way more interested in being Saw than some sort of weird survival narrative, which is presumably why it skipped over their immediate reactions to everyone else being Raptured or whatever. (They literally split up wander around for hours, randomly meet up again, and then realise their phones don't work, which is a completely bonkers set of human reactions to anything of this nature).

But it's fun. Anime Girl == Death.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

~someone isn't familar with Gantz~

just starting episode 6 and the escalation is escalating

that said i agree it was dumb that it took so long for them to notice a lack of connectiivity when they were texting each other whilst face-to-face when the transition hapened

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 21, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode three is a wild ride.

FFT posted:

~someone isn't familar with Gantz~

I watched until the green snot monsters got too much for me to handle, then I dropped the DVDs into a dumpster and gave up on anime for a year. True story.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I watched until the green snot monsters got too much for me to handle, then I dropped the DVDs into a dumpster and gave up on anime for a year. True story.
the what

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished the fourth episode, which is really just a comedy of errors. There's a lot of schadenfreude with this show.

The refreshments table is such a brilliant troll, it works on multiple levels.

FFT posted:

the what

This grotmonster. He was gross and annoying and I wanted him to gently caress off, so I yeeted the set into a bin and never looked back.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

okay i never watched any of the anime Gantz stuff except mr broccoli there reminds me of early Bleach?

anyway GANTZ:O is perfection despite not bothering to tell the audience about the prior story

and AiB does a fantastic job of doing a similar setup where technically you're following one character but also you're getting some background for other characters

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Should you watch this show? No. Will you watch this show? Yes.

Pro's:
It's Cube with more murder.
Take schadenfreude from foolish people making poor decisions and getting killed by murder games of varying quality
Enjoy the genuinely excellent set design and location choices. There are some fantastic shots.
Enjoy action scenes that range in quality from mediocre CGI to genuinely decent stuff.

Cons:
It's Cube with more murder.
Several characters are incomprehensible as human beings and it makes the drama pointless and incomprehensible.
There is an uncomfortable undercurrent of misogyny.
Your going to watch it anyway because despite your pretensions your hopelessly drawn towards genre trash like me.

Misc:
There is a character called "the mad hatter". He does not wear a hat.
The length of a BMW 523d is 4 meters and 94 centimetres.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Rob Filter posted:

Misc:
There is a character called "the mad hatter". He does not wear a hat.

Rationales:

A) Hatter's don't wear hats as they sell hats to others and work inside. Makes perfect sense.

or

B) That's why he's mad

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I actually read the manga for this a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Probably the best murder game manga I've seen, and I really recommend people to check it out.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Ep3. spoilers: The two friends dying really took like 99% of the wind out of my sails to keep watching this.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

JuHoZ posted:

Ep3. spoilers: The two friends dying really took like 99% of the wind out of my sails to keep watching this.

spoiler: it gets even stranger

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

woops you're right, apparently i did watch some Gantz anime because that's the kid onion alien in the second episode? There's at least one more in episode three and then they never show up again (except maybe at the very beginning of episode 4 to resolve the end of episode 3, it's been a while)

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
After ep4, gently caress it, I'm back in.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

JuHoZ posted:

After ep4, gently caress it, I'm back in.

spoiler: it gets even stranger

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Thats what I like to hear.

After Sweet Home and this, this christmas' weirdness levels are on the right track for my tastes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didn't like the second half as much; it started like Gantz mixed with Cube/Saw and turned into Battle Royale 2 or something. I always prefer the game problem solving structure to the gigantic murder madness stuff.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Watched this and Sweet Home this past week. They were both pretty fun for different reasons, give Sweet Home a try for more weird live action anime

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Highly recommend this show. It’s great. https://gfycat.com/vigilantaltruistickitfox

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Really liked it, though I was eternally annoyed by the main characters' inability to arm themselves and disarm enemies. Great, they just slammed a gun wielding dude with a chair, and in the next scene they are running away from the scene, clearly with the gun and the bad dude still in the same place since they don't have any. Like, are the main cast allergic to them?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of episode 6/episode 7 is really wild ride. I liked how the game masters somehow also found the time to clean up the graffiti on the signs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blamestorm posted:

Rationales:

A) Hatter's don't wear hats as they sell hats to others and work inside. Makes perfect sense.

or

B) That's why he's mad

He's called that because he owned a hat store.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Does anybody here watched season 2?

It gets even more weird, and brutal, often a bit too much.

But above all, pace is all over the place, dragging like hell at some points (including the last episode), but at other times, running so fast over so many things I could barely keep up. It has some good moments but I think the first season is a lot more consistent, less absurd, and has much better storytelling

And anyway, the ending is ... baffling. I did some research and it seems its the same ending as the manga, too. But also apparently a season 3 was announced, so maybe they will actually are still going to explain what the hell that place is

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
A third season could be fun or it could be the final season of :lost:

I'm here for it. More Alice in Borderland means more Cheshire. His Among Us episodes were the highlight of season 2.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh I'm down too

Can't wait to get infuriated watching our heroes make the dumbest most unbelievable decisions all over again

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought that they thoroughly explained it, how could they get a third season out of it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought that they thoroughly explained it, how could they get a third season out of it?

Did they? I thought it was pretty vague

The most popular interpretation, and the one I also could get, is that the borderlands are pretty much purgatory. They could leave it like that, surely. But for me that’s almost a non explanation because in the end the answer for everything becomes: God did it (any god you want) and he did in such an absurd, cruel, convoluted way because he is an rear end in a top hat with a wild imagination and apparently he likes games. It’s very unsatisfying, at the very least.

And, as far as I know, the manga itself went a little further in explaining the whole situation, not in the original manga, but in the later sequels

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Assume this is also the general Alice thread, and has anyone seen 1966's Alice of Wonderland in Paris? It's mostly about Madeline and trying to figure out Alice's favourite kind of cheese (cheeseburgers). I would say it's an easy skip if you don't want to watch a couple mediocre Madeline shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun show. Looking forward to season 3