Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Where can I get 4x or 8x scopes from somewhat reliably? The only way I can get them right now is looting I think. I want to practise with bolt actions a little before I have to go to iron sights for the quest..

You can buy a (garbage) 4x scope and 25mm rings for it from Jaeger level 1. Conveniently, that combo fits right on the VPO-215 Gorno you can also buy from him which is solid for killing scavs (and PMCs in pacas) as .366 FMJ one-hits the chest hitbox and pens level 2 armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What's the best map for PC parts? Interchange back offices?

i think this yeah

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I honestly haven't noticed any impact to performance or sound either way so I just leave it on

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

tarkov was designed in a vacuum. somehow none of the developers or designers have ever played a videogame before in their lives, and thus suffer no preconceptions of what one should be like. it's bottled slavjank lightning. this is a part of why nobody else can successfully make a tarkov, i think

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

poe meater posted:

So do most players just have sub-60 fps when playing streets?

i get "60" but the issue is it's not steady at all, huge frame drops when aiming down sights sometimes and stutters throughout

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Raiders and Rogues count toward the 'bosses killed' stat. Not sure if boss guards do or not.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Arrath posted:

Definitely going to look into one of the improved spawn point mods for SPT. Gets a bit old to hear a rash of gunfire and stumble upon half the bots on the map lying dead around the OK Corral RUAF Checkpoint.

that happens in live, too

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I'm actually very excited about Tarkov :shobon:

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Join the discord and play with goons, it's a completely different videogame with some pals vs solo and having someone show you where to get out of the drat map is essential early on

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Halborn posted:

How's the matching time? Did BSG do something to reduce it? Hearing about recoil and armor changes gave me an itch for playing again.

It's way better this wipe on PMC, just don't scav for another week or two probably imo.

God, the snow is so cool. I think it's just seasonal but I hope it makes it into the weather rotation at some point

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Aexo posted:

I joined the goon discord and tried the authme but I think my privacy might be too strict for the DM. Maybe I'll see yall around!

Nah, the bot has been broken for years. I think the admin keeps it around as a funny prank on newbies. Talk in the one channel you have access to or whatever and someone will let you in.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Tetramin posted:

lol I知 at the point where if I知 solo and think I知 anywhere near USEC I head the other direction or take a wide path around the east side of it. I should really learn how to approach it so I can loot it but lmao I致e had one too many games where the first mine breaks both my legs, I heal them up, try to back out and get killed by the next one.

If I知 coming from the east side I should basically be fine right? When I知 with my group we always climb over the big rock to get from the first side to the other, so I知 not quite sure where痴 safe.

Yeah, only the west side has mines. If you're coming up from the south, either run up the right hand side to the M4 rock and you're safe, or wrap all the way around it to the right to the lake. If you're coming from the lake, everywhere is safe. If you're coming from the north, keep left. If you're coming from the west, don't.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Stevefin posted:

Woods and shoreline are not really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you could be sniped from many angles and the snow makes anything stand out. the best maps right now would be ground zero and streets. I still feel interchange should be avoided at all costs expect for using the none backpack extract or car extract, its just too easy to extract camp there

counterpoint: woods and shoreline are really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you can snipe people from many angles and the snow makes targets stand out

i (a relatively new player, this is my second wipe i'm playing beyond like level 10) feel safer on woods than anywhere else in tarkov tbh. it's huge and has relatively few PMCs on it. you just do loops around the top half of the map and as long as you avoid town before someone takes the car and only loot USEC camp if you spawn right next to it, you'll rarely even see anyone else. there's a ton of food and medicine items up there, as well as some gold spawns and toolboxes/technical crates for hideout stuff, and scavs to shoot (or die to in the tall grass in village)

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Jakosa posted:

Trying to unlock Jaeger as a newbie is pretty frustrating. I think I've done 15-20 runs today. Most end with me getting domed by someone that know what they're doing.

Are you in the discord? I, or someone else, can lead you there. It would be pretty unlucky to die once doing that if you know where you're going, let alone fifteen times.

e: knowing where the gently caress you are is the hardest part of being a newbie in tarkov imo. just having someone who knows the map around to tell you which spawn you have, where your extracts are, and when/where you need to look out for other PMCs is so incredibly helpful in this game

Vayra fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 29, 2024

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that video is complete dogshit yes

The big problem in tarkov that gets rolled into the problem with the perception of cheating is that you have no mmr whatsoever so brand new players are in the same lobbies as 5k hour sweats. the gear progression and ammo situation then makes that asymmetry even worse (albeit the recent armor and ammo availability changes are definitely an improvement) because for timothy to get a kill he needed to basically hit either an eye or face shot (or if someone is wearing a face shield, he needs to hit 8-10 leg shots from some shitter ak or w/e). meanwhile 5k hour guy just needed to hit him in torso twice or head once and has ears that have 30m more audible range than the new guy and good optics and map knowledge and probably knows timings down to when people show up places with and without start of raid sj6 use. like you could get rid of 100% of cheaters and the amount of bullshit feeling deaths in tarkov for most people would change like 1 or 2%. the perception of the cheater problem is mostly because tarkov has a bunch of complete poo poo design that is pointlessly cruel to new players. to their credit they've improved a bunch of this this patch, which seems to have caught almost everyone off guard by how good the changes have been. As of this patch, some shitter with pretty much any gun and even half-decent bullets is 10x more of a threat than they were last wipe. basically the big issue was that tarkov had nearly insurmountable asymmetry in encounters, incidentally this is also what cheating feels like to run into

like there's no shortage of cheating in tarkov, it's an online fps obviously people are cheating some of the time, but also the stuff people have to do to get away with cheating in tarkov is some extreme stuff that is simply beyond the computer knowledge of the vast majority of people so no I do not remotely buy that cheating is or was ever as high as goat alleged. As an aside, if you actually go through the video how many instances does he show

also you can sit on fences in full view of people or other obvious rat spots all day long with 1-2 million ruble load outs and watch oblivious people run into you over and over and over and over to the extent that it is clear that, no, the vast majority of the playerbase is absolutely not playing with any enhanced amounts of knowledge. even before the video (which led to bsg cracking down) that was an entirely viable strat that would only very rarely get you killed.

the other particularly stupid thing about the perception of cheating is that the video is alleging that it's all silent cheating, eg people using esp and avoiding fights most of the time, while 95% of the perception of cheating in tarkov is because people get shot in the head and fall over and assume it was a cheater. as of this patch they can now check and see that it is some 3k hour guy with a 2.0kd lol. the other 5% is cheaters with grenades just blindly grenading people and yeah that poo poo actually is incredibly sus

(experience may differ on oce or labs)

:hmmyes: except I mostly think the design is good and not a problem, at least the lack of matchmaking and the way it rewards map/game knowledge. I do like the recoil and armor changes this wipe, though.

The profile view on death thing has been such a massive gamechanger in terms of letting you know you got killed by the absolute worst player alive with a lucky shot or an 8k hour chad and not a cheater. I've run 250 raids this wipe and had like, two suspicious deaths, both of which got banned like a week later (though yeah, I'm not a Russia servers labs main).

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Jakosa posted:

I did a scav run on Customs, trying to get to know the map.

I killed a player with a tricked out AKS-74U with *three* flashlights. Is that a thing?

It's kind of a thing--more flashlights is more blinding power. But more likely (especially if this was daytime) I bet he had just found one or two of those lights in raid and stuck it on the gun to save inventory slots.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
RFBs and tac30s are pretty much free, to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Does anyone know if loot pools are specific to each map and will two of the same loot pool be identical on a given map?

For example, if Customs and Woods both have an electronic's spawn, can you get the same items from each?

Also, if Reserve has two electronic spawns, will they have the same pool?

As far as I can tell, mostly yes with some caveats: Some specific spots seem to have slightly different pools than normal (I.e. scope shack on woods usually spawns better mods than the tables in usec camp). Ground Zero allegedly has worse loot all around. Military electronics only show up in loose spawns on Reserve, most of Lighthouse, Labs, and I think now Streets. Labs has its own stuff you can't get elsewhere but seems to be part of regular electronics pools there.