Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

this has been my favorite wipe yet. questing on new woods has been super fun, and I've been ambushing people poking around the new loot area to great success.

also--took on a 3 man camping factory extract (????) as a PPSH scav, and murdered them to a man. get good, kids.

e. they all had fort redut armor, too, lol

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Yes of course. I was 100% sure I am not getting out alive. There was no chance to stay alive. There was no point keeping the card, why would I want to donate it to someone else?

stick it in your alpha you goof. even to traders it's good money for a one slot.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roman posted:

i was using that but the Woods one is so out of date and completely useless, so gently caress that site. I just ran around like an idiot for 15 minutes because I spawned near a river in a large area not on the mapgenie one

compare https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/woods

to:

I prefer tarkov-tools.com just... in general. Maps are all up to date and it's got a built in zoom

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Give whoever told you the sks is the only viable weapon a good slap, because that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard regarding this game.

I stan the SKS because it works for me, but uh, yeah. A stock AK/vpo with a dovetail cobra is much easier to use then an SKS.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did woods for the first time last night, to get the Jaeger camp, me and two friends. The raid timeline would be:

new woods feels like a really expansive ARMA map. it feels really nice to play now, and I've had fewer "oh. guess a guy with a mosin was looking this way." moments, unless I'm actively looking for fights.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

...the reduction in scav spawns this wipe is really annoying though...

the speculation on the subreddit is that scavs don't spawn at map start anymore for performance reasons. people have been doing their intro quests by hiding in a bush for 20 minutes before going to scav spawns :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/kpihq6/maps_feel_scavempty_right_now/

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Reddit seems to be saying that 10 minute PMC wait times are unique to the Chicago server, which is one I have selected. Can anyone say if that matches their experience or is that a myth?

I saw that as well. Chicago is likely my auto-select, and yes, every match has been 10 minute wait the first time I launch a raid.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

apparently the game heard my bitching about scav kill quests, because I got 9 scav kills standing outside scav bunker just now. they literally just kept running up for a solid 10 minutes as I was trying to leave.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Malefitz posted:

I finally managed to get to level 10 two days ago and boy is this game more fun when you have unlocked the flee market.
I'm a wealth hoarder in games like this so I had a lot of fun in running my scav on factory and trying to escape with whatever is lying around on the floor, then sell it on the flee. Sure, scav on factory can be frustrating because from time to time I get a headshot before I actually spawn in and there are so many player scavs on factory that shoot everything on sight. But it gives some interesting no investment pvp action with various weapons and chance to get good loot.
And I learn the map for when I actually need to go there with my PMC...

Stuff I have successfully extracted with from factory:
gas analyzer (3)
lab key card
flash drive (2)
assorted keys
obviously various guns

I am at 3.5 mil ruble now. Do you guys have suggestions how I should invest this? I'm not sure if pushing the hideout is the best idea for me so early in wipe as I am a very slow player. I am looking at buying some containers (another ammo box, med case, scav box?; etc..) but maybe they are also too expensive for early wipe...
Any suggestions?

hideout is the most worthwhile. guns and armor aren't that pricey as long as you continue running quests. ammo can be crafted in hideout and it's sometimes 1/2 the price of buying on flea. even if you don't grind for money by crafting for profit, having the option available is pretty nice.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I like running factory scav - I can do it mostly AFK throughout the day while I focus on work or poo poo around the house. It’s fast and can be super lucrative, even if it’s just taking 2 minutes to pop a scav to negate the run through and get out with whatever you spawned in with. It’s definitely not the most optimal approach, but it’s value is that it takes almost no effort or time.

hell yes. it's also pretty fun to take on duels with other scavs and play deathmatch. probably my favorite way to get a nice set of equipment for a pmc raid.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

https://streamable.com/hm0bh1

I legitimately didnt see the guy and I don't know how. Maybe I was focused too hard on the guy in the room or I looked away momentarily :downs:

that's incredible. I didnt see him on the way up either, until it looped. I was pretty focused on your ads.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

tired: watching big streamer guys marketing themselves on being epic gamers
wired: watching this youtube guy who markets himself on no commentary and watching the food animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-5KI7HS9s

objectively the best content creator

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

As I said: their first shot, as everyone in this thread has experienced all I heard is a voice line and bang and I was dead before I had time to get into cover or react really. I know the game enough that if I do see a scav and it sees me I reposition and dont just get behind the nearest cover and peek my head out to get it shot off. I just hope they keep working on scavs where laser aim isnt needed to compensate for bad AI, especially for regular scavs, save that for raiders. Scavs should really be designed to be formidable in groups. I dont mind if you meet a scav with an sks and it one taps you if you go in under armored but instantly snapping to your head to laser buckshot you from 100m away is kind of silly.

my understanding is that scav aim operates based on what they can see. if they see your full body, they tend to go for center mass. if you are poking just your head out, they will snap off your head. I've had success going out into the open to take on scavs after I break line of sight.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

The end of this video is the best part. It's worth watching if you haven't. It's the epitome of streamer.

If you don't want to watch, dude takes a chug from a 2-liter of Coca Cola right after dying.

holy poo poo its comically big lmao. I was prepared for it and still laughed out loud.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Qmass posted:

are there any good intro / beginner guide videos to recommend ?

depends on your tolerance for streamer voice, but Pestily has a really solid series for beginners. He starts a fresh account and plays through the early quests, explaining his thought process. He's a lot more chill in these then when he does standard streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TiTbuJtZo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Anyone know of a fix when the launcher won't send a verification email for login? I've tried the top Google hits.

the bad news from what I've seen at Reddit is that this is a common issue. you will probably have to send a bug report to support....and support is uniquely unhelpful and will probably lecture you about spam filters.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

my honest advice is to dip in and out of quests as you feel like. slamming your head against a quest repeatedly isnt fun, so go gently caress around on a map you like, try something new, squad up with some friends, whatever.

I'm having a good time running stupid shotgun builds on woods, and solid snaking my way up to sniper spots to kill people. mosin people aren't super aware!

or like, take a break from the game and play something else. you don't want to become one of the bitter weirdos who complains in game threads constantly.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

vector pst to the legs with that fire rate would absolutely wreck people

I would argue that pst is usually better then ap 6.3 anyway. Most people wear level 4 and ap doesn't pen that reliably. aim for the legs and go for the higher flesh damage of pst.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Honestly, I hope more people use the drat thing. It's a solid cheap gun that is low skill and low effort. So all I'll say is that if you've looted it - try it before vendoring it.

MP-153, 6 shell tube, RTC 12ga, done.

You don't even need mags or anything, put 20 shells in your pockets/rig, rest up your butt and have at it.

It will kill chads with leg shots easy and 2 shells to the face even at 30m range have a significant headshot chance. I've killed people at 80m with buckshot headshots and I hope they reported me for leet hax for it.

As long as you aim anywhere but the chest, you will ruin peoples day with it.

the default ironsight bead is honestly pretty rough, so I do prefer pistol grip with a sight, personally.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Double post but Salewas suddenly take Hemostats to craft in the medstation today? Okay???

I'm so loving sick of them increasing Salewa prices.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Meh. Early game put grizzly up butt. Late game. Put grizzly in rig.

Edit: Even before the change, there was little reason to run Salewa when you could make a Grizzly work in your kit.

Now there is absolutely no reason given that they basically cost the drat same.

Sorry, misspoke--sick of them cutting the margin on crafting and selling salewa!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Stuff it in your rig then, whatever.

I usually run a WTRig which is 10k.

Stuff grizzly in the 2x2, and now you don't need to worry about anything short of a blacked out limb.

Never pay rapist money for heals buy grizzly, use it to heal, put the remaining grizzly on you for your next run.

a grizzly is like 40k. not really worth it if you have alpha, considering a salewa + aluminum splint + vaseline (plus hemostat and cheese in rig) can last you a good few raids for around the same price.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

While playing more is one solution it's kind of bad for those of us with garbage schedules. My time with this game has always been fun, but painful because I am always left behind after a wipe. While my friends are running around with meta guns, heat sensing scopes and the best ammo in the game I am following suit with a PP-19 loaded with Quake Maker and garbage armor.

The mega chads have 0 reason to not totally annihilate me halfway across the map at this stage in the game because they are bored and just want to kill. So, I have not even bothered playing this wipe. Destiny 2 and City of Heroes are games that I can pick up, play for an hour and make progress in without much thought or prep.

This has been, by far, the worst wipe to be a working adult taking night classes.

I'm probably not the metric to judge by, but goddamn has it been tedious for me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

huh. the game doesnt suck for the first time in like, 4 wipes.

armor plates are great, because if you are smart you can ambush fat kitted nerds from the back and just destroy them.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

how are side mounted sights this wipe? I know the prior meta was a 1x - 4x scope with a tilted red dot, did recoil make it less useful?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hello internet posted:

Being forced to learn a new map right off the rip has completely turned me off from jumping in this wipe

it's honestly the easiest map to learn and to solo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

*dying

Like this is the level of my skill. Unload a full clip and die to 1 hit to throat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDZPJSV3y0

Do you have mouse accel turned on? The way your mouse jerked around made me think it's a mouse problem.

like, not even so much your aim was bad (it was) but you look like you are also fighting your mouse.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

scavs spawn in groups now generally and there's some peculiarities with the spawning system (mostly if you're either one of the only pmcs left or only pmcs in a large area and/or area with a lot of scav spawn points) you can get gangbanged by as much as 20+ scavs. if you're using loud guns you also are basically summoning every single scav within like 100m, which in certain places can be a dozen or more scavs, too.

this is all separate from tagged and cursed, too.

it's been great because I'll kill one scav then be able to farm 8 more instantly.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love Stalker, a lot, but I really enjoy the mechanics of Tarkov a little more. Gun handling feels really great and the weapon modding is unparalleled. I would love a cohesive single player game with some better AI.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

are raids a little safer at night or are most people just running night vision goggles?

until people get reliable flir you'll be ok. they help but not that much. moonlight is pretty strong right now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Aexo posted:

Would be nice if you could purchase a "satellite view" of the engagement on exfil/death that is only delivered after the raid ends, maybe like how Overwatch has replay codes. Then you could study folk's movements and maybe see how you died or you could better move to avoid/force engagements in future raids.

This would also help new players immensely, I think.

I've only had one sus death and they got banned, but I'm mostly scaving to learn maps right now.

I hope they are pulling in the Arena killcam feature into Tarkov eventually. I think it's a tricky thing to pull off, and I'd suspect especially so in Unity.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jakosa posted:

It's weird that I enjoy regain raids the most. The fear of losing my gear cramps my games when I go in fully kitted.

How do you guys handle that? Do you end up not caring at some point?

I break it up. I do a couple gently caress it kedr/pp19 runs and sprint around on customs, and a couple beefy dmr/assault rifle runs. it's nice to feel powerful sometimes, and nice to feel disposable.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

Eventually you'll just learn the different scav skins but before then the two easiest ways to tell are armbands and to a lesser extent, pistol holsters. Scavs will never have an armband, so if you see one it is 100% a PMC. Pistol holsters aren't quite as sure of a thing, but there are only 1 or 2 scav skins with pistol holsters while almost every PMC leg option has one.

I like to look at their feet. Nasty dirty shoes are scavs, boots are PMCs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Give me a piece of paper I can keep in my special item slot that I can use to track what I need in-game but to use it I physically have to pull it out and un-crumple it and read it in raid and the handwriting is kinda poo poo. Players who kill me can't take the paper off me but they can read it

-milk
-cereal
-croutons
-tank battery (if on sale)
-apple juice

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mellow_ posted:

Yeah that's true. I think I just got annoyed at not having access to the parts I want to use from traders or on the flea. Then I have to check poo poo to make sure I can buy it if I make it a preset. So then I just gave up and run whatever I find lol

I've liked using https://www.totovbuilder.com/ because you can filter by unlocked traders if you want the best possible trader only gun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

scav karma is more important early wipe when building bank

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you can make 10-20x that with a high survival chance on, like, any of the other maps if you care about your time/making enough money to actually pay for stuff vOv

that seems like a big waste of time. 5 minute factory scav runs are to pay for your ammo on your next PMC outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

shame. game has so much love and care put into it by the devs but the strategic thinking by the manchild at the head has always been suspect as hell. been fun, bye bye