Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Still holding out for Streets before I reinstall; trying to avoid the burnout. New patch looks so tempting, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Tips for new folks, from a guy who has only been playing since mid-August:

1) Think you heard something? You did. Don't ever assume it was nothing. It wasn't.
2) Not worried about that noise because it's just a scav? It's not.
3) He's always got a buddy, no matter who "he" is.
4) Even if he doesn't have a buddy, somebody else heard your gunshots and they are coming.

With these 4 simple rules committed to memory you will avoid a large percentage of the kinds of deaths I repeatedly experienced when I was new. being a stealth game guard NPC.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ShowTime posted:

How's the hacking? Still problematic? I heard the release date went really, really well, with like no issues.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still happens. Squad got wiped by some amazing shots the other day from a guy with a TTV link in his name; we checked the stream and he was using it to advertise hacks. Not even on labs or reserve or anything super sweaty, just a random woods raid.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't think we will see any real copycats for the simple fact that a big part of the appeal is the really complicated simulationism of it, down to having to load bullets into magazines which are persistent items that must be loaded into guns etc etc. Doing this kind of thing takes a lot of development time and resources, which makes it less appealing to copy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TVsVeryOwn posted:

welcome to tapkob

Sounds like he got one-tapkob'd

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

General Probe posted:

They'll get on the Grenade launcher too. Scavs can be loving deadly on mounted emplacements.

One of my squad was booking it out of Customs with what must have been 1m rubles of gear after a fantastically successful raid. Got one-tapped in Head Eyes by an AI scav on the mounted GL. Absolutely savage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scuttlebutt is that they tried out voip in testing, everyone just used it to blast hardbass and scream epithets at one another, and Nikita despaired and decided not to roll it out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a more interesting meta than the mosin was, both to fight against and to use.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For a while the VSS had very low durability, I think they were testing something with the condition system. A normal raid would cost about ten percent durability and a good raid could easily take more than a quarter of your condition off.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A Jupiter posted:

vector player is playing on speakers

Feeling the bass is important to my immersion.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I won't be happy until they add in the nuclear plant, which will become either part of woods or customs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

FileNotFound posted:

The current pricing for GPUs is highest it's ever been in EFT.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cage Kicker posted:

This game isn't finished yet also

I think we are past the point where they can make major changes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Factory expansion: https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1392511509486612485

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

b!tchmade babbies literally afraid of words despite them being able to mute it

This feature is so good that everyone turns it off!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

hello internet posted:

Anyone have any good tips for hitting moving targets at 150-200m range? I know it’s different by bullet but I’ve been doing a lot of SKS sniping in woods and I cannot for the loving life of me hit moving targets

Use guns with fast ammo and flat trajectories. .308/7.62 NATO or 7.62x54 rimmed are ideal. Second best will be 5.45 or 5.56.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Stux posted:

why are you haording food

why aren't you?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Word is that the bags spawning open is a bug and it hasn't been patched because it's a small bug that would require doing a repack and redistribution of the level, so it will be left as is until Interchange next gets updated, or the next big patch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The difference between an Alpha and a Gamma is huge. I've done both, I have the standard version but at one point I had a friend take the patch off and he gave me his gamma; you accumulate money and gear so, so much faster, and building your hideout is way, way easier. The stash size is nice I guess and the trader rep is really useful but the bigger secure is far more valuable than either, a real game changer.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

1. When you pre-order Escape from Tarkov, you are not purchasing the software. What you are purchasing is a license to install and use the software as regulated per the License Agreement.

Pretty sure this is, in fact, not the case in the EU and I think also the US now? Software houses have been going the route of "It's a service not a good!!" for 15 years now but multiple high courts have struck back at this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Maenad posted:

I only just registered the subtitle in the thread ... the rascal responsible for that reference has caused me great pains from laughing; it's easily the best description of Tarkov I've ever read.

And on that, O how I cannot wait for inertia to tone down the run-and-gun behaviour that's been killing that vibe in EFT. Not sure what to expect of VOIP (though it almost makes me want to find a voice modulator to sound less female), but I guess we'll see. My friends that play DayZ seem to swear by the experiences they have on account of it.

VOIP won't bring anything good. This isn't DayZ, the game as it exists (as opposed to how it exists in Nikita's head) is strictly a PVP/PVE shooter. Even in DayZ where the game was meant to be more sandboxy it takes custom servers with enforced rules to prevent kill on sight being the norm, because the risk of someone not cooperating back is too great to take the chance of approaching them. Tarkov is like DayZ in terms of shooting mechanics but the similarities end there, EFT doesn't have a reason to cooperate with other players full stop, you gain effectively nothing by cooperating and risk everything by doing so. VOIP will only be used to swear and blast hardbass.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's always been the plan, yes. It's also why the rogues on the new map won't shoot USEC but will shoot BEAR, not because of reddit complaints about a feature that isn't out and wasn't announced, it's because BSG wants faction choice to matter.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but it's been a part of the plan since forever.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I spent six months trying to get a video card and managed it; the prebuilts aren't good deals anymore either, despite that being the common wisdom. It's true that you can still at least get them, they are in stock, but given how lucrative the resale value is if prebuilts were actually a good deal they'd be out of stock too, as the scalpers buy them en masse and resell the parts at a huge markup. The prebuilt vendors know this too, and are charging huge markups.

Your 1080 should run Tarkov fine. I was running it at 60 FPS with a 680, albeit at lower graphics (but definitely not potato mode). You will probably have to turn some stuff down or off, but it will still look good and run well.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

Someone tell me not to buy Insurgency: Sandstorm while it's on sale.

Don't buy Insurgency: Sandstorm while it's on sale.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

How much a good CPU would help with this game? I have a meltdown-nerfed 8700K with 32GB of DDR3600 CL15 ram, and the game feels chuggy on a RTX 3080 at 1440p. Fps is around 50-60 often on maps. Looking at GPU usage it is most of the time at like 70% or something.

What would be a good CPU for Tarkov, for maximum framezz?

Tarkov tends to be much heavier on the CPU than most games - it tends to simulate more deeply than most shooters in regards to movement, hitboxes, bullet trajectories, gun mechanics, AI, and world state. Compared to a typical FPS that has a mostly non-interactable world and hitscan weapons, the requirements for a processor time will be much greater.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

if we're talking wish-list guns I'd like a FAMAS or something wacky like a Bizon

The PP-19 Vityaz is already the Bizon, more or less; they share the same PP-19 designation. There are some differences between the two but the only major one is the magazine; and it turns out the Bizon's helical mag was absolute dogshit that was a huge pain to load and would jam constantly and was expensive to manufacture. I have to assume that if they were going to add the helical mag they'd have done it already; and that it would suffer the same drawbacks as the real thing, so nobody would use it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bussamove posted:

You're less whaling for better starting guns and more whaling for the increased stash space unlocked from jump. Upgrading your stash from the standard size is otherwise long, expensive, and annoying as gently caress.

Even bigger than the stash space imo is the trader rep. Some of these assholes (looking at you Jager) can take months to get to level 3/4, but having the high trader rep early lets you buy better gear way faster than other players, especially with the flea market nerfs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've always wondered if you could have one person come in naked to be marked and cursed while a friend brings kit, to help out with those scav kill quests.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mae posted:

Give me revolvers in every caliber

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bussamove posted:

A few hundred thousand roubles every 8 minutes?

Nah man. Gimmie that like 150k every 20 with a way higher risk of dying. That’s my jam.

20 minutes? My roommate's scav timer is over two hours. I don't know how much his vehicle extracts are exactly, but he says they often cost as much as his kit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Huh, that's weird - my friend is at -13ish last I checked, and it was just two hours for scav runs I think.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

On purpose or does he have literally no control? Does he team kill you every other raid?

At least in my friend's case he accidentally popped Santa a couple times in situations that weren't immediately obvious, and then figured he was so deep in the hole he might as well embrace it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mellow_ posted:

E: Actually gently caress the PKM is gonna be so hosed when it's released. Really wonder how they're gonna stop dudes with a fat machine gun just running around with a 200rd box of mosin rounds.

Probably the same way they deal with other gamebreaking guns, make them prohibitively expensive and hide them behind bullshit unlock quests with no flea access.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Squiggle posted:

It'll be Pharmacist or Mechanic and you know it

Harmacist.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

Has nikita ever acknowledged the insanity of the elite perks? I know I'm a latecomer to the game but from an 'outsiders' perspective it does seem like every wipe the game has made progress towards its weird vision and I don't see how the elite perks jive with that in the end (aside from the obvious gamification to keep the obsessives playing every wipe)

Never directly, but elite strength has been nerfed like five times now, so clearly someone at BSG knows that it's dumb, they just refuse to do the necessary thing and remove it entirely. Elite endurance isn't quite as busted but it's still a low-key cheat code too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The concern for me is that there are a lot of little things that are chipping away at the overall core of the game, this idea that things should be heavily simulated to a real degree. First it was FIR status, which was partially billed as a way to stop the trading, so now those pesky RMT traders couldn't just auction their ill-gotten wares. Then it was the money cap, which is exclusively meant to stop RMT, but that hasn't worked either. Now it's dropping items, which once again will probably be bypassed; and once again, the way that most players will experience this is as an arbitrary and non-sensical limit to how they can play the game. Are these limitations something you will hit every raid? No, but when you do hit it, it always feels bad. During the traderpocalypse event, we realized that money spawns were increased, so I hit up the cash registers with my buddies. A few filled me up to the limit the game allows, and left my character standing there at ten full cash registers, thinking to himself, "This is enough, I don't want that money," which felt really lovely. Ultimately did it matter that much? No, but it really drains the feeling of enjoyment out of doing something clever when you hit an arbitrary limit, especially when that limit is only imposed to stop other people and it doesn't stop them anyway. It's similar to how some DRM for games is so noxious that players who pirate the game have a better experience than people who pay, and it turns out that the DRM doesn't stop the pirates anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Shooting one shot into a random room right into my head at the resort where Id ducked in two minutes before 100% outside their sight?

No.

There are a lot of people ITT who will tell you that it's a skill issue and no one cheats in tarkov; but the fact that the devs are spending so much of their time on anticheat measures combined with the publicly available stats on various cheating websites/subscription services don't seem to jive with that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If it's being sold as a separate product that launches separately, it's only a matter of time until the gameplay in the arena diverges from the gameplay in Tarkov. The Tarkov patches won't be ported back to arena, that would be a logistical nightmare, and the needs of an arena shooter are very different from those of a game like Tarkov's. I am not convinced that the arena will be a good place to get good at normal Tarkov.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think it all misses the point a bit anyway. All these changes to combat RMT; but we're on what, the seventh? Eighth? Round of changes designed to stop. Surely this time it will work and solve all the problems unlike the last half dozen times! Instead of just making the game way more inconvenient and arbitrary. Say, I wonder what drives people to want to buy items for real cash? Do you think it's because they're inconvenient to get normally?

Runescape had the same problem for ever, and just like Tarkov they imposed more and more restrictions until there were very few ways to move items between people. Ultimately they gave up and the RMT people "won" I guess, but it also made the game better to be able to trade items with your friends, and the RMT trading turned out to not be that big of a problem anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ultimately every map in Tarkov revolves around memorizing the spawn locations and using sightlines & terrain to try and pick off the people closest to you before moving on. Almost every map in Tarkov can be thought of as a bowtie, with the players spawning at the outside edges, engaging in fights in the broad areas before it narrows to a middle chokepoint. Early conflicts are won by knowing where the people nearest to you spawned and where they will probably go, then shooting them while they try to get there, mid raid conflicts are won by taking advantageous positions over the center of the bowtie's chokepoint. If you're not interested in the sweaty boring spawn memorization, hide for the first ten minutes as the others say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You mean like finishing the game in less than eight years?