Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I bought this yesterday after falling in love with CODs DMZ thing (I don't normally play online games at all) and wanting something with a little more depth.

Got my arse handed to me all day by the AI and I'm by no means a good FPS player. This is going to be quite an experience I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, after dicking about in offline mode, slapping on T4 armour on and a half decent gun with a hole I'm enjoying this and not getting mauled by AI anymore.

I did just die of exhaustion though because my partner wanted my attention after logging in, I didn't know where I was on the map and ran around like a headless chicken till I died. :saddowns:

Edit: I even got 2 kills earlier :unsmith:

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 30, 2022

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Putting themselves through mopping or Tarkov?

Rumour has it, there is something behind the wall now if you find the sledgehammer.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've not got it yet. I've only managed to do the Jaeger message quest so far. I've not even found and been able to extract with 2 shotguns yet. Ha.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Not had a single extraction today. Had my arse handed to me every game and lost all my decent gear. Almost out of cash so going to be just taking a pistol and trying to loot what I can now to replace everything. Ugh. Pretty annoyed about how poo poo I've been today actually

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, I tend to go to interchange though as I find I have more time to try and work out what's valuable. I don't come out of factory with too much each time. It's just the games I've had today I've had bad extractions or spawns or just ran into people etc.

It's all entirely on me for rushing or thinking I can take more than I can, missing someone etc etc

Actually I've been on lighthouse more than interchange recently for scav. I saw a video about the chalet being really good for loot but I've yet to see anything even close to what was in that video.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Shumagorath posted:

The main draw for Factory is you get fast rep and use your starting load out / cash equivalent to go back out as a PMC. It’s a garbage map for loot.

What do you mean by fast rep?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh right, it's not much though right? I read it was easier to use the paid for exfils. I'm actually in the negative right now because I've panicked a few times and not been able to tell the difference between AI and players. Welp.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yes, I learnt about scav on scav action the hard way, was only accidental tbh as I was so jumpy the first day or so that I played.

I wasn't aware the extract rep halved each time too, so, is extracting as a scav the best and only real way to keep leveling your rep with fence? I briefly saw something about raising his level to be really worth it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How do you know what's "good" to pick up? Esp when I don't have access to the flea market yet

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
On EU servers I've seen very few PMCs on lighthouse,. Everyone seems to playing streets as there is a metric poo poo load of loot on streets but it's exceptionally busy so extracting is much harder than anywhere else Ive been.

I've yet to play on customs though as Ive avoided it so far so can't compare the 3 yet.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Tabletops posted:

Best place for loot is a pretty insane exaggeration when light house existed (rip) and interchange is still wild

Lighthouse no good now? I got my first gold skull ring on there today which was a nice find.

I've dug myself out of the financial hole I was in too, I'm back to having a decent amount of gear again but nothing amazing... I want to try and save up for that stash box so stash management is a bit easier..

Where can I get 4x or 8x scopes from somewhat reliably? The only way I can get them right now is looting I think. I want to practise with bolt actions a little before I have to go to iron sights for the quest..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thanks, very much appreciate all the help from everyone.

I got my first scav loot box last night so I finally have a bit of decent space in my stash too.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I really want to like this patch, streets looks and feels awesome, but I'm having major performance issues compared to last patch, and there's no rhyme or reason for it

Like a lot of people I need to reset my game between raids to avoid the memory leak, which is annoying but fine I guess, but sometimes I still get like 40ish FPS despite restarting (though it feels lower, somehow) on a map like customs, where I usually get 60-80

Have you turned of binaural audio? It makes a huge difference to performance and not a huge difference to sound

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Toalpaz posted:

It's always been glitched on your side. Everyone else heard you grunting all the time, even if. It's only occasional for yourself

I had that extension running but due to RL stuff etc I found myself missing the actual legendary boxes white a few times. Did get some decent stuff though! Shame they made it so long winded with the 12 hour windows etc..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm still adjusting to all the different ammo types, it's a lot to learn when you live in a country with no firearms. :laffo:

I learnt the hard way earlier as I attempted the iron sights bolt action quest yet again and my peashooter sks didn't do poo poo to the unarmoured scav.

He tanked 5 shots then murdered me, I was using AP rounds and apparently if something has no armour at all, ap is far worse?..

I would think 5 bullets going through me would be very bad but apparently it's just a little bit of a nuisance

But I did loot 2 MP5s and 1 SCAR earlier on a scan run so it's all good.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Danknificent posted:

I could be wrong about this but I'm not sure an SKS counts as bolt action

Well that's silly, it's clearly bolt action. At least I think it is.

I'll mess about with the VPO later if I get a chance then.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Hooplah posted:

you don't know what bolt action means

I was actually thinking of a different gun altogether it seems.. I was actually thinking about the T5000-M which I got from a twitch drop.

I'm not very up to speed with all this stuff and I apologise! We don't get much exposure to guns in Europe I'm afraid. I humbly apologise to all my gun toting, school schooling American comrades for not knowing the intricacies!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Mischievous Mink posted:

You're being really weird.

I just felt the comment was a little passive aggressive so I thought I'd poke fun at American gun culture. Sorry if that was lost in translation.

Edit: I'm also literally autistic and prob worth mentioning I could have totally misunderstood between language and being spergy.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Whoever it was that mentioned that little cheap .366 rifle btw, thank you. That and the AP ammo is working a treat for me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Some of the quests break my brain. 3 pistol kills is something I'll never manage without a lot of luck and a small fortune spent in pistols..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm just not good enough frankly! I'm ok with that but I'm a completionist so it's a bit jarring. I've seen grenade quests and stuff further down the line.

I've never used a grenade, I guess the quests are designed to get people to use different stuff and out of their comfort zone so it's working I guess..

Edit: I can't hit headshots for poo poo for example..I think it's just something that will come in time, I'm sure. Aside from messing with COD DMZ a little, which is how I ended up here, I haven't played a shooter online since maybe halo 2 and that was only coop. I'm dreadful but having a blast.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Fart Car '97 posted:

lol, good luck.

Yeah, I know. I mean, if the game ever actually gets a release I suppose I'd eventually manage it. Infinite number of monkeys with typewriters and all that..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vahakyla posted:

Dunno where you are in Europe but I have lived in Italy and Finland and both are chock full of guns and Europeans are perfectly capable of understanding differences in firearm actions.
Apologies for the double post. We have very few firearms here, it's rare to see police with them too etc.

I'm not saying people don't have them, but it's not prolific or easy and certainly not mainstream like it can be in certain parts of the US.

I believe the UK, Ireland, Germany and Switzerland all have very low gun ownership numbers. I was under the impression it's quite rare in Italy too but you would obviously know better having lived there..

I wasn't saying all Europeans are clueless either, everyone's obviously capable of learning this stuff. It's just a lot less prolific than other parts of the world by comparison and i'd love to fire a gun if I'm honest but I can't imagine needing to own one or a whole armoury as is sometimes the case.

Edit: France too.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this is the dumbest derail ever. there are a fuckload of guns in europe and even if there weren't, you don't need to be drowned in guns to play a shooty video game and google some poo poo from time to time. shut the gently caress up about it already

switzerland bro??? the place with conscription??????

Nobody said there wasn't guns... Said there wasn't as many as other places and not everyone has the same exposure. Is that not factual?.. are you telling me everyone has the same exposure? I'm also not your "bro" bro

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How do I get more dollars? I need to spend 11k at peacekeeper ot level up and I've hardly found any

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Wait, so selling counts as buying. Ok. Thanks! I'll buy some dollars and start selling crap to him for now then.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How do you know what a dollar is? You're not in America and not everyone had exposure with physical currency.

No need to be a tool, I explained what I said was tongue in cheek, missed the point and then apologised. There's literally zero reason for you to be a oval office about it still. What else would you like me to say or admit about it?...

Thanks for the tip with selling and buying from peacekeeper, I'm about to jump on a couple of rounds before bed so will likely do that now and try to get level 2 tonight.

Does ragman 2 have some decent upgrades to armour? I've got a bunch of decent guns stashed but I'm refusing to use them till I have something better than the level 2/3 stuff that I can right now. I know it's level 20 so it's a bit of a stretch for me right now, but something to work towards if I quest. I've only just done the pocket watch tbh.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 13, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I have 2 ammo cases full of just random crap, I'm a bit of hoarder but I should take the time to work out what ammo I should be using and find a gun that matches the pile of crap I have really.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

sinburger posted:

Just use your guns and lose the gear fear. Scavs will occasionally load with decent guns to replace your stock once you run out, and it's wasted space in your inventory if you're waiting for some magical moment where you'll be good enough to never lose your fancy tricked out weapon.

Even the top players in this game are getting killed every 3-4 raids. So just play with the mindset that any equipment you have will be used 2 or 3 times max.

The loot pool is the ocean, your gear is the wave, and raids are the beaches they crash upon.

Honestly I have to, I just found a RD-704 too and apparently that's a "good gun". So I've now got 4 decent things, I did just unlock ragman 2 though so I can now rock level 4 armour with it thankfully.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Awls are a myth. Have searched so many tech supply crates.

Find them regularly on streets too, at the construction site or the large 3/4 story building right by the basement scan extraction.

I can't find any USB drives though for love nor money. Could be because I've just never played reserve or shoreline though. There too many maps to learn.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Just spawns as a scav with a usb drive and got immediately head eyed.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
This loving game... Jesus.

So, I found a red flare. I've held on to it for a couple of days and finally figured "gently caress it, may as well die trying to use".

So I concoct a plan to go onto woods and use this thing at night, I know people like to skulk around and avoid anything they can at night on there. I decide the east side of the map is less populated, generally the south east corner is always empty and luckily I spawn by the roadblock.

I slowly take my time heading the very eastern edge of the map and hide in a bush somewhere between factory gate and UN roadblock. I can't equip it or use it from my inventory to quickly Google it. The first 2 links tell me what I need, but not how to use the bloody thing so I see a link for tiktok of all loving places.

Immediately it points out you need to bind the thing to a bloody hotkey to use it, clearly I'm stupid (Right BSG, it's my fault?). I bind it, then fire the thing and hear nothing, I know it's a little buggy so I look around from my bush, still see no plane and figure maybe I need to wait a little, I will finish the stupid tiktok video while I wait.

Video points out you need to shoot the flare up, I didn't, I just shot it and assumed it would shoot up. Welp. With that, I decided to think what to do next, I brought a long range rifle as I didn't think I'd be doing any major engaging, if any and fully expected to have PMCs all over me the moment I called it in.

Then I notice red smoke in front of me about 100 yards away, gently caress me. The drat thing worked. I slowly make my way over expecting to be mobbed and open it up to find a nice MMAC play carrier, awesome. I have no armour so it's perfect..

Turns out it had a few useful bits in, some food, a SMT whatever the gently caress that is, random bits of ammo, some TNT, Thermite and some big arse thing I've not identified yet so I examine it and gently caress me, it's a Tier 6 armour, A Tasmanian Tiger SK plate carrier.

I throw that on, grab as much as I can carry including an AK that was in the crate and run till I have no stamina left and try to take some cover in the woods.

I hear footsteps on wood and immediately bring my AK up but I can't see anything, can't hear anything. I go prone for a few seconds to be safe and then I hear footsteps getting close. I freeze...

A 2 stack spotted the drop and walk in front of me close enough I could smell them if It was possible. I poo poo myself and prey. They wander off slowly towards the drop and I belly crawl away once I can't hear they footsteps anymore....

I didn't plan to extract, I think maybe taking the bridge extraction is the best as it's closest and head that direction then I suddenly remember I have to wait a min to be extracted. I don't want to take the risk with this loot and slowly make my way around the southern side of the mountain and around the very edge of the sawmill, I can hear Scavs laughing and joking, it's tempting to try and take them down but I decide I don't want to give up my location to anyone and have no silenced weapons. I slowly carry on, dashing over the road between the sawmill and the checkpoint knowing I have Scavs on both sides.

I see the scope shack ahead and go left, there's a little more cover and I don't want to go around the front of it just in case when I hear shots behind me, someone's at the checkpoint.

I get up and run forward for a few seconds toward cover, I hear a player scav on my left and figure he's extracting so I wait for him to pass and head to the very edge of the map by the minefield then suddenly spot a PMC looking directly at me from outskirts he fires, then vanishes. He extracted. gently caress me. I run for the extract and dive in a bush, ny heart loving pounding.

I swear no other game, other than EVE online has given me such a loving stressfully fun experience playing it and I've given up with EVE, this could be my new long term love affair so long as the wife can tolerate it. :unsmith: oh, I got 2 flash drives from it too. :toot:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Toalpaz posted:

I can't believe you picked the PMC extract at night as your quiet place for the bright red glowing airdrop

Haha, the PMC extract was the other side of the map that game, I always seem to have outskirts as the extract and never the UN roadblock thingie.

I have a mission from fence to extract on woods but it didn't complete, are all his missions scav based?

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the quest side of the game, it's a very enjoyable game but the questing is almost impossible solo. I just tried 5 times to do the big sale quest for skier and died twice with 2 good gear, the next 3 times I took a pistol and rig and just ran, each time walking right into someone's line of sight while inside. It's not a fun map for quests.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Everyone gets a different set of extracts depending on where they spawn.

RIP. I didn't realise that. I thought everyone got the same ones.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I fell onto an unlooted airdrop on woods last night during a scav run, I assume someone didn't get the plane spawn or something and it just teleported onto the ground.

Can you guys try to articulate the difference in this wipe with the sound issues for me? I'm curious just how bad it is compared to previously as I've no context. I wonder if it will make PvP easier when it's fixed.

Edit: unlooted not unlimited. Phone posting

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 18, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Gooning... Do I even want to.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
There was a sale not long ago so I doubt it. It's what made me take the plunge to buy it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Hemish posted:

I bought it a couple years ago and got intimidated and basically didn't play. I'm trying again but the stash, secure container, traders rep... Everything is poo poo tier.

I feel like I'm the only Standard Edition player around. My survival rate is very low, even against scavs and I only managed to kill one PMC so far (pistol duel, we both were at the start of a naked pistol run since it's basically the only thing I can afford) but every time I died to a player, it's an orange name with the king's crown icon. That means the Edge of Darkness edition, right? The one that would cost me 117$us to upgrade my Standard Edition? 6$us fees and 16$us taxes are brutal on top of that 95$us and then converting all of that in $Cad.

I see plenty of people who are not EOD players as I die a hell of a lot. However, I did get EOD myself and I just paid for the game with BTC as I had some laying around.

Maybe watch some YouTube videos, there's several people who do series called "rags to riches" and they often delete their secure containers and all their gear. I personally find it very interesting but they're all much better than I am at PVP and have much better map knowledge.
But we all start somewhere, right? It's tough but solo is fun. I've put over 200h into this game since Xmas all solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
GPUs or parts in general? I've had good luck on streets but only found a single GPU yet.