Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
As someone that just bought the game, I'm pretty happy with being guided towards Ground Zero. It reasonably easy to learn and I feel pretty much at home there already.

Some of the other maps like Woods and Shoreline seem pretty daunting in comparison, with no cover and imagined enemies behind every tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
As a new player, my dilemma is that I'm 95% likely to die on a raid. Often without even seeing the guy that killed me. So I don't want to take expensive gear into the raid. And by not taking in good gear, I decrease my chances of making it out alive even further.

Ofc, to me, that's a good dilemma. I enjoy figuring out cheap stuff I can bring or how to work around not having good stuff and still live.

And I absolutely love the intensity of the gameplay. Sprinting across an open space through sniper fire, trying to make it to an extract point feels absolutely epic.

I think I'm going to uninstall COD DMZ. I'll never play that again :)

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Trying to unlock Jaeger as a newbie is pretty frustrating. I think I've done 15-20 runs today. Most end with me getting domed by someone that know what they're doing.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Jakosa posted:

Trying to unlock Jaeger as a newbie is pretty frustrating. I think I've done 15-20 runs today. Most end with me getting domed by someone that know what they're doing.

I finally managed to do it. One thing that helped was that I managed to kill a level 4 guy on Ground Zero that had some of the best gear I've even seen, including an AK 545 with the ELCAN 1x/4x scope. I took that into Woods and it helped me spot at least one PMC and avoid him.

Just before Jaeger's camp a scav attacked me and I killed him. But the noise attracted a player and he took some shots at me before I could get the letter. I retreated and waited a bit and had some players run really close to me, but they didn't see me. Then I got the letter and ZB-16 was open and I got out.

I'm beginning to get my bearings on the map and that helps make it more enjoyable. I still haven't figured out the mine field at the USEC camp. When I spawn there, I run into it every time :)

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

My issue is more that I don't recognize where I am on the map as I run into the area to the west of the camp and get blown up.

But I am getting better at it. I did some of Jaeger's bolt-action quests yesterday and it was awesome. I really like Woods now. But I still run into the mines :D

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Sometimes you get lucky.

I was running around on Ground Zero with a VPO-215 "Gornostay".Trying to get some bolt action kills for Jaeger with the cheapest gear possible.

I got in a medium/long range fight with someone and landed a head shot on him, killing him. Turns out he had - what I think is - Knight's gear. A CPC GE plate carrier rig and a Mk47 AR. This is my first wipe so this is stuff I've never seen before. The wiki doesn't list a seller for the rig so I assume you have to get it from a drop?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I hit level 21 and can't go to Ground Zero anymore. The only map I feel like I know.

What's a good map to learn after that? I liked that Ground Zero was relatively small but still big enough that I could do runs without running into anyone when I wanted to avoid combat.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I did a scav run on Customs, trying to get to know the map.

I killed a player with a tricked out AKS-74U with *three* flashlights. Is that a thing?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
It's weird that I enjoy regain raids the most. The fear of losing my gear cramps my games when I go in fully kitted.

How do you guys handle that? Do you end up not caring at some point?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
The patch was a couple hundred MB and the rollback is 24 GB. With my crappy Internet, that means no Tarkov for me today :(

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

giZm posted:

65 MB here

What? Why is mine 24 GB?

24 GB is the complete game, isn't it?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm having a really hard time spotting people, now that the snow is gone. But it's just a me thing, because other people don't have any problems spotting me.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

Three scav runs in a row tonight I've been sprayed down by another pscav at the extract.

Did BSG break scav karma penalties, because I'm getting flashbacks to the before times

I also get killed a lot. My theory is that new players haven't figured out the mechanics of scav runs yet. Or struggle with telling the difference between scavs and PMCs.

I can't tell the difference either, so I've just resorted to not shooting anyone when I'm a scav.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm doing the "find morphine" quest for therapist and I'm a little surprised that the "find morphine in raid" part counts if you find it on a scav run.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
There are two subgoals in the quest:
- Find morphine in raid
- Turn in 'found in raid' morphine.

It's the first part that seems to work during scav raids. Or maybe I found one during a PMC run and forgot.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
The scav traitor rules seem a little weird.

If I shoot at another scav without hitting them, if they then shoot back and hit me, they become a traitor, correct?

So if I have some good armor and a good gun, I can shoot at other scavs and goad them into shooting me. And then kill them for loot and Fence rep?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I know it's a fallacy to think of barters as free, but using them to get a silenced RFB with a nice scope *feels* free

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Arrath posted:

It's very, very tight quarters so by virtue of that alone you're more likely to run into one, yeah. P-scavs don't load into Factory until later so hopefully most PMCs are dead or extracted by then but there's no guarantee.

There has been no PMCs left on Factory, when I do scav runs there.

Related to scav runs, is it just me that thinks that Fence's dailies are impossible or don't make sense? Mine today is to kill 9 scavs with thorax or arms shots from over 50m. Then he'll reward me with 0.04 rep. But if I do that, I'll get -0.9 for being a traitor 9 times. Or do I need to find 9 scav traitors and then kill them from over 50m with thorax shots? That sounds impossible.

Edit: Am I missing that I can do his tasks as a PMC?

Jakosa fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 29, 2024

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
It seems very few of his tasks are doable. I've only managed to do the ones where I have to extract from a specific map a number of times.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I love it when insurance works and I get a mail from Prapor with a single magazine in it. Money well spent! :D

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I've started Punisher part 1 and I have a hard time finding scavs on Shoreline. I'm three raids in and I have 2 PMC kills and 0 scav kills so far. Where are they?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Is there a good explanation of the health system somewhere? I had a fight with another PMC where I hit him 21 times with 9x19 AP 6.3 ammo and did 417 damage (and 454 damage absorbed by armor). He hit me twice with 7.62x54R LPS rounds. I died and he did not.

After the fight, my health screen looked like this:

I don't really understand why the fight went the way it did.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I managed to get my Shoreline scav kills. I got a lot at the farm in the NE corner of the map. I think that's a new area added recently?

Now I'm on Reserve doing Punisher part 2. That's a hard map to exit :D I'm using the sewer manhole without a backpack. The other extract points seem tough.

Thanks for the explanations of the health system. I guess with a 9x19 pea-shooter I need to get better at getting headshots.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I needed a half mask for Punisher 2, so I thought I'd go to Customs and kill some scavs. I spawned near Old Gas Station and went into Warehouse 3. I killed a scav and that caused more scavs to come in a steady stream. I was enjoying myself, chilling and killing scavs.

After a while, a couple of PMCs started running around outside, saying that I'd been inside for 20 minutes and I'd have to move sometime. So they'd been camping outside, waiting for me to come out for 20 minutes. And finally lost their patience.

I managed to kill one of them and then the other one got me. But I still consider that raid a big win :D

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm the type of player that never uses a potion in a CRPG. And never uses a scope in Tarkov.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Nutsak posted:

Why insure the one on the bottom right then?

Because I needed it to fill out the weapons case. It bothered me more than it should, that there was an insured one there. Luckily, I've since gotten some more :D I simply can't stop picking up those Kvass bottles.

LGD posted:

what do you use instead though?

because I am also that sort of player and Tarkov's enabling of my hoarding and cheapskate tendencies definitely plays into my growing pile of optics, but I also recognize that it's one of the best things to spend money on after I reach the my "can't possibly ever go broke" mental threshold for cash accumulation

the thing that prevents me from running expensive scopes is that I feel like I've got to have pretty a specific need to do something other than just slapping an ELCAN on top of almost every gun I run, because it's the price of a mid-tier holo sight, has a nice wide and clear field of view with a decent reticle, and does everything you need at any ranges under actual-sniping, so why "risk" anything more expensive? (even if barters make those other things relatively comparable in practical terms, as is the case with the TAC30 and often the Valday)

Usually I go with a cheap loadout and feel like a tac30 would be out of place on something like an AKS-74U. On those I just use the MRS reflex sight. The insured tac30 in the picture was put on a silenced SKS where it felt appropriate.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Is it simply a bug that Skier (I'm at LL3) has two identical ADARs for sale with one costing twice as much as the other? Or is there some sense behind it?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
About what point in my Tarkov career am I going to remember to put the filled up magazines in the gun before entering a raid?

And check if I need food and water?

It's so embarrassing to find an enemy, line up a headshot and hear the gun go *click* when I press the trigger.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Sometimes something happens where you'd really like to know the story.

I was doing a budget run on Customs where I went in with a pistol and a rig. I like to either go to storage or the silos and farm scavs and get some XP. It's usually pretty quiet in the far ends of the map.

This time is was at the silos, inside the building next to ZB-1011, and was killing some scavs. I heard some suppressed fire pretty close by, but not close enough that I was worried.

But then I started taking some shots from outside and a guy ran in and I thought I was done for. But then he started meleeing me. I killed him with my pistol.

And he had a suppressed Mk47 Mutant with Razor scope - AND NO MAGAZINES AND NO AMMO.

I was pretty shot up with blacked stomach, so I just ran for my extract at the RUAF roadblock. I didn't expect to make it, but with painkillers and a can of sprats, I somehow made it. I killed some scavs on the way and made it out with no ammo left in my pistol.

But I'd really like to know how he got in there with such a nice gun and nothing else.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Shannow posted:

If you've never decked yourself out with a sweet kit and got in raid to realise you forgot to load your mags, are you even a Tark player?

Oh, I have. But I've never taken a 3-400k gun in with armor class 3 helm and armor and a Gssh-01 headset. It just doesn't add up.

My theory is that he must have looted it off of someone in a hurry. The player was level 13, so I doubt he could have gotten the Mutant himself.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Update just landed. The snow is back.

The trailer seems to indicate there is an event ongoing where you can spawn some cultists(?) at some bonfires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAJXGK7dDaI

I just did a scav run on Ground Zero and got a status affliction of "Morana's frostbite" and my screen started freezing over. It indicates that you're close to the bonfires.

Prapor also has a couple of tasks related to the bonfires.

Jakosa fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 28, 2024

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Are the presets bugged or am I doing something wrong?

When I want to buy the items for my preset, the game thinks that it's a good idea to buy the guns but also buy all the components of the guns at the same time.

For instance, here it wants to buy a Glock 17 but also all the components of a Glock 17.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Aexo posted:

Technically you don't have those components if you also don't have that gun. Buy the gun first then mod it.

Buying the gun first fixes it. It just seems kind of wonky that I have to do that. It's not a modded gun in my preset, so there's no need to buy any parts.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Psycho Society posted:

Is factory the only map with scavs right now? Have had a few raids in woods and customs and have not seen a single soul despite checking all the major areas
There are definitely still normal scavs on both woods and customs.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Big Boy Ground Zero has gotten better loot than the kiddie pool, so it might be a good place for GPUs now. I got one on a scav run. There are a lot of PCs on the map and since it's quite small, it's quick to get out.

Scav runs seem to randomly place you in the beginner map or the 21+ version, so you can't always count on being in the one with the good loot.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm having some issues with Skier's task "Chemical - part 1" where you have to track down the Deputy Chief's hideout on Customs.

My task completion looks like this

I'm pretty sure I've never actually handed over the item even though it shows it. I've been to the train cart and I can't find the item, so maybe it doesn't spawn. I've also bought the Room 220 key off the fleamarket and been to room 220.

Nothing seems to progress the task.

Am I missing something or is it bugged?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Neon Belly posted:

Does it have the intel 3 GPS Signal item?
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't. Some of the hideout items are Labs only and I think they've kept it that way.

My guess is that what can spawn now on Ground Zero is the same as can spawn on other 'normal' maps. On the low-level Ground Zero, it's my impression that the loot is nerfed, compared to other maps, and there are items that can't drop there. For instance GPUs.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The "items that can help with the investigation" is the 220 key, so either you handed it in or the game is making GBS threads itself somehow. So far I've never had the folder not spawn, but with Tarkov you just never know. It's a bit tricky to find now that it can spawn in a couple of different locations in the train car.

I searched the train cart again and found the item. Turned it in and completed the task.

I think it's a little confusing that it marks "Hand over the items" as done when it's not done. But I guess the game is still in beta test :)

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Infinitum posted:

I'm considering picking this up at some point, do they do free weekends or anything like that to test it out?

I bought the game 3-4 months ago and I don't think free weekends would have helped me. If anything, it'd probably have turned me off the game.

Tarkov is a game where map knowledge plays a really big part. If you don't know the maps and are playing against people that do, you'll have a hard time. There's no map or minimap to help you, so you have to learn the maps yourself and that takes some time.

I've been having Tarkov on my radar for some years. I played COD DMZ and loved it. When COD MW3 came out and they stopped supporting DMZ, I bought Tarkov.

It's been a steep learning curve for me, but I absolutely love the game. I can still feel discouraged when I get domed for the 5th time in a row by someone I didn't see, but when you do it to someone else, it just feels so good. And those raids where you get shot up and make it to extract before bleeding out feel epic.

It's a fantastic game and if you think it's for you, I 100% recommend it. My only regret is that I didn't buy it earlier.

Jakosa fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I surprised a guy at the start of the raid and dumped a M4 mag of SOST bullets into him. He then proceeded to kill me. I really need to learn to shoot people somewhere other than the body - or get some better ammo.

Jakosa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 11, 2024