Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Is it a stupid time to start playing tarkov, should I wait until whenever the next wipe is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Phoix posted:

If you're new it's probably gonna be a miserable experience since everyone is gonna be running real gear but you also get the benefit of almost every dead player you find being a loot pinata

this seems like a good upside/downside

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the timeless truth of cheaters in FPS games is that 80% of the deaths you think were from cheaters probably weren't, but also every FPS game has a bunch of cheaters, often concentrated in one part of the game where cheating is most impactful (eg for $, progress, or rank)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it obviously isn't some binary hackers y/n issue, the issue is how pervasive they are, how impactful to non-cheaters they are, and, significantly, the perception of how bullshit the game is because of it. Plenty of games manage to minimize all three of those.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

tjones posted:

Instead of wasting a year or two (or four, STREETS) rolling their own anticheat and praying BSG does it competently (they wont) or spending the exorbitant amount of money required to license a reputable (lol) pre-rolled third party anticheat software package, BSG should simply implement an after raid replay system. That would be more useful IMO.

Hacking can't be stopped. I'd rather be able to review what happened and know I died by a cheater than forever wonder if I could have played a situation differently not knowing all the facts.

It's this. It's always been this. BSG can't get out of their own way.

I disagree with this statement. The higher in skill ranks you go in most games, the more pervasive hacking gets. The more careful it becomes as well. Just my opinion.

ironically OW was in a similar situation with huge numbers of cheaters (they were banning a significant fraction of their top 500 every time they'd do ban waves) and were doing comparatively little about cheaters relative to other popular FPS. Then they added replays, which people thought would fix the cheating situation... and it had very little impact, they're still banning significant amounts of their top 500s each ban wave. They certainly should add replays for a bunch of reasons, but it definitely isn't itself a fix, it takes a lot more than that. Really they just need to do everything they possibly can and while it won't fix it, they can make it less bad.

I suspect their current focus on RMT relates to them trying to diminish one of the incentives to cheat (eg to farm for RMT), albeit without actually impacting the demand for RMT you run the risk of just making RMT more profitable, which in turn would actually increase the incentive for people farming currency to cheat. That said, I'd be very surprised if people farming to RMT are anywhere even near the majority of people using cheats. Hell I'd be surprised if they're more than 5%. They might well be some of the most high-impact cheaters though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
for better or for worse a dude just made a video that is probably the most high profile advertisement for cheats Tarkov has ever gotten and it's going to be really loving bad for a while, both due to more people trying them and more legit people just saying fuckit and not logging in

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nah

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
BSG's animosity towards SPT is bizarre because SPT will never replicate Tarkov's most compelling feature: playing against human beings who will do all kinds of insane, unpredictable stuff and it is a complete non-issue as a competitor on that level. That said, it's compelling enough of a game on its own even without that and with a bit of modding it even works pretty well as a single player rpg-fps. Still doesn't replace the tarkov experience in any way, but having to fight your way through dozens of AI is fun enough in its own right.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao yeah hes not saying he's tank man he's saying it's more impactful to see something than it is to just know it abstractly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ironically that's why perception of prevalence of cheating is so impactful to player experience beyond even the actual extent of cheating

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Impressive amount of qol stuff announced in the last week, wow.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
^yeah pretty much

Shumagorath posted:

How much of it can be changed in a config file?

idc, I'm just happy that stuff is getting improved that needed it badly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

El Jebus posted:

Which one of you is this?

lmao

appears to be a japanese vtuber

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 11, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
one part of the solution to density of cheaters is doing stuff that increases retention/gets people back in the game which works to dilute the cheaters into a larger pool of players

key word there being 'part of' ofc

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

Counter argument. More players means more incentive for cheaters.

yeah though unfortunately that incentive doesn't go away until the game is like battlefield 2042 levels of dead

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what are you suggesting that someone didn't actually go through a transformation from a 200 hour player to a 6000 hour player in the course of a week?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i was trying to farm up some fence rep and the last like 6 times i've run to the car it hasn't been there

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I leveled to 20 in the last ~2 weeks and saw exactly zero cheaters.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
is it true that there's zero matchmaking?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I didn't say there weren't any I said I saw zero. Honestly that two weeks was probably some of the cleanest fpsing I've experienced in ages wrt suspicious stuff happening.

With that said, man it feels like the bulk of the playerbase is very timid. Most of the people I ran into were hiding in corners or trying to play hide n seek. I kind of get this insofar as the ttk is so low and the penalty for being at a gear disadvantage is so high that for anyone not confident in their ability to shoot people almost all fights are going to be very low % fights, thus not worth taking (setting aside the long term issue that not fighting means you don't improve). Idk how much my perception of that is due to my own play style, time of day I play, what maps I've been playing, etc.

I'm not saying this as some definitive state of the game, it's just one point of anecdata.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
just play regular tarkov, your average pmc is playing with a burlap sack over their head and crippling DTs afaict. like 10% of them are pretty good at fps though

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I was shot finally by someone while in a spot I wouldn't expect anyone to check or to see me. Then a buddy killed him and he had a FLIR.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
can't believe that they added well lit areas to tarkov that aren't outside, I'd assumed that never doing that was in some tarkov design doc bible

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tell that to the awl i am still missing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I've gotten probably 90% of my gear back from deaths this wipe, which seems surprisingly high if anything, I don't really ever do budget runs, either. scavs will pick up items off the ground if bushed, but it doesn't seem to be all that common. I don't have a huge sample size because I haven't died that much, but you get a ton back. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of stuff that does get looted ultimately gets dropped for some random industrial item that is worth 5x more than my ears or helmet or w/e. when I insurance fraud items they pretty much always come back, too.

solos do have it rough though, yeah. it would be bad to split lobbies up too much, but putting solos into lobbies that are mostly solos/duos would be good, though that's kind of anathema to what the game fundamentally is

Vasudus posted:

I picked this up because I hate myself and want to experience the trifecta of grog, toxic pvp community and jank.

Jesus Christ does this deliver. It’s going to take me weeks before I can be considered bad at the game. I spent like 15 hours researching/watching guides before dipping in and I was still woefully unprepared.

I'm a couple hundred hours in now and mostly through the new player 'wtf is going on' phase and know a couple of the maps decently and am finally getting to the point where I'm regularly killing players (plural) in raids and uh yeah holy poo poo is it rewarding if you can stick out the first 100-200 hours of just not knowing wtf and dying to stupid poo poo because I'm not familiar with the engine and all the jackasses with 2000 hours on a specific map.

afaict by far the single thing that matters most in tarkov is what bullets you are firing out of your gun.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 21, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
definitely do hop in the discord for help with any quests that you are struggling to get past

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

tjones posted:

lmao at the screenshot from that pestily tweet being all shoreline and labs reports, im not surprised

its pretty funny seeing the majority of the players backpedal with their opinions on cheating now that big name streamers are claiming that the problem is dire considering how much the same player base would immediately try to gaslight you if you dared to mention tarkov had a cheating problem before this or that goat video

i wonder if bsg ever caves and implements some type of after raid / death replay system. approaching 50% of deaths is a huge confirmation ratio. i wonder how many players are getting banned for no reason or for easy / lucky shots from players that pestily was unaware of. i bet their false positive rate isnt 0.

lol this season specifically and battlebit have been two of the least cheated fps experiences i've ever had. 9/10 of the fights I get into it feels like the opponent is running the opposite of cheats, if anything. I've died twice as many times to running into landmines as I've died to cheaters. the only downside to this is that dying to sweatlords who have 2k hours on a map and know every sound cue and weird off angle is an even more futile experience than dying to cheaters. at least with cheaters you can run them out of ammo and then push them while they reload or just out-aim the dudes only using walls

yes that surprises me to say, don't get me wrong. I can also readily believe that OCE is a total shitshow because that tends to be the case across many games

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 22, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

I'm still running Windows 7 btw which I'm sure is not a factor

yeah that's probably a problem. how much ram and vram do you have, too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Your OS is at least 3 major versions behind and is not getting updates. I liked Windows 7 too but it's time to move on. Throwing more ram at it isn't going to help.

it will help, it just isn't the first problem that needs to be fixed if they're running windows 7 lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ps is everywhere, just shoot some scavs and you'll get a fair amount of it, or run your scav and loot a bunch of even better stuff

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
step out is extremely good because it is silent and blind fire gets used because it lets you unads silently

also cuz it looks badass

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's completely ineffective, but dumping mags down corridors by blind firing around corners is good fun.

not ineffective because if you blind fire around a corner people see your flashlight and think you are peaking and will fire half their mag at your flashlight

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
dont sweat it and just join the dang channel. 90% of playing with people in this game is being prepared to narrate yourself doing things to prevent teamkilling 'this is me running into the building' 'that's me on the stairs to 3rd floor' etc. no one gonna gatekeep you for not being incredible at the game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mellow_ posted:

Depends on how far I am into the wipe cycle.

Early levels I just use w/e I find and bring home usually.

Late levels is when I start to build weapons to maximize stats.

Though if someone has good ammo in a stock AK and can shoot people in the head reliably, it doesn't really matter.

i can shoot people in the head reliably and i still want my guns to have as much ergo as possible and usually a silencer and at least a couple mods improving recoil so that if you do get in a spraydown fight you've got an advantage and oh hey at that point fuckit just build a whole modded gun. like yeah you can make anything work with good ammo in it, but the actual cost of basic modding of guns relative to how much of an advantage you get is extremely favorable, especially early on

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you can certainly get the levels for it (albeit like 2/3 or more of your xp normally comes from finishing quests so even that would be slowed a lot), but you're going to really struggle to get the rep high enough, if it is even possible at all. also a bunch of the specifically useful stuff be it attachments or meds or w/e else is locked behind quests, so even if the rep was a non-issue, you'd still be getting a pretty neutered max traders.

that said you don't have to go that far into questing to get enough rep to max traders

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh even as someone who dislikes all the questing I'd rather just do a bunch of the actual quests than have to brute force some of the insane poo poo that dailies require. especially after the first week you can cheese a ton of progression solo by just keeping a couple sj6s on you

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
dirty secret to most tarkov maps and getting tasks done is to just play at a steady pace in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction towards your objectives vs bee-lining right at them on drop. unless you got the single closest spawn to where you're trying to go and you can beat everyone there, in which case by all means do that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you don't know all the spawns yet, a good approximation for that is 'if someone spawned 200m to my left or to my right, how would they kill me'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you have to sit in a bush for 20 minutes to do anything why even play. just play the raids. loot the poi you spawn by, fight the other person who spawned in range to get to it first if they turn up, move around the map looting more/less depending on when in the raid you want to arrive at your objective. gather info about the raid by paying attention to where all you're hearing gunshots and how who with what gun is moving around the map. spending 20 minutes killing scavs and looting less-active parts of the map is the good player version of sitting in a bush for 20 minutes and it actually makes you better at the game, richer, and gets you all the random bullshit you need for tasks, which will never happen if you just sit in bushes

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Sorry, how does one cheese progression with SJ6's? That's an Injector right? (I've never used them because I've never got far enough to have a case)

they make it so you can run like 2 or 3x as far in a given period of time. For quests that are actually hard to do solo, they help get you out once you've got your items or if you have to disengage after you ran into someone you can't/don't want to fight, you'll be long gone before they realize what happened. there's still the danger of sprinting into someone, but ime that's quite a bit rarer than you'd think. imo they're more useful for getting out of raids than at the start of a raid, at least for newer players, though people who know the maps really well will use them at the start of a raid to get in position.

they're also super useful economically: yeah they're 50-60k, but when you're completely full of loot and want to almost guarantee an extract it's often worth it to pop one because they'll let you run almost the entire way to any extract even when loaded down with 45kg. you can combine them with other stuff, too. a painkiller or propitol+sj6 makes you really, really hard to kill as long as you're using cover a lot.

there's other poo poo you can combine them with that gives you literally unlimited stamina, albeit with way more drawbacks, but idk when that's really practical

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
from what i've seen, new players who don't know the maps and don't know how to traverse safely (and also have no soft skills to help traversing) get absolutely shitstomped over and over just trying to bee-line objectives and exits and that's not an experience that teaches much either. like how much useful gamesense is someone building by just sprinting at jaegers camp and getting killed by someone they never saw a bunch of times in a row?

im definitely not saying that people should stick to the outer boundary or loot every single thing or loiter unnaturally after having a bunch of tasks done, but imo just spending more time in raid, learning to process the info you get from hearing a raid play out for 15 minutes, and in general actually playing the game is a big investment into being less bad at tarkov a month or two down the road in a way that bee-lining tasks is not. imo learning to deal with scavs quietly and without much effort and learning to make sense of the info you get during a raid and learning the ways to move between POIs on a map is much, much more useful than any quest in the game

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 12, 2023