Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

FileNotFound posted:

Scavs aren't just good for killing, they also serve as alerting you to the presence of players and serve as roadbumps for the groups who are on the map to hunt other PMCs.

Yeah the current scav situation sucks. It's taking me forever to get 15 kills in customs, I've killed more players than scavs on customs so far. The map feels weirdly empty because of the lack of scavs.

Oh well guess it's time to hide in a bush and wait 20 minutes. Bush hiding simulator 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Its Happening! posted:

Maybe I'm too old school, but I just want a game where everybody is on a level playing field. Seems like every game lately has been tilting the table more and more, not just to favor those who spend money on the game, but to punish those who don't until they give in and open their wallets. Hence my hesitance to even start with Tarkov.

I feel you on that. Almost every game these days has some form of progression. I think players like to feel they are making progress and unlocking things. Companies love it to sell their pay to win versions. Tarkov does give an advantage if you pay for EOD with a bigger stash, better starting items and a few other things. With that said you can buy the basic edition and upgrade later by paying the difference if you want to the higher end version. Best time is to wait for a sale. Also the game itself requires a lot of map knowledge and item knowledge. Even if you pay for the fancy version you are going to have to put in a ton of time and effort to become "good" at the game. You can get stomped by someone with the basic edition who has put in the time. The progression in tarkov makes sense too it does not feel forced in.

There are two other games I play right now that have a level playing field.

COD Warzone : Really tight Battle Royale and everyone starts off with nothing. The customized loadout drop is slightly annoying as it is progression based.
DOTA 2 - Not at all like Tarkov but still a fun game if you like MOBA and everyone starts the same.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
How CPU dependent is tarkov? I have a ryzen 3600 and a 3080 playing at 1440p. It runs well for the most part but still dips sometimes. Would a ryzen 5900x be worth upgrading to or is it just a case of a poorly optimized game running on unity?

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are they really leaving player SCAVs broken? My past time was scaring raiding PMCs.

Yeah it sucks right now. I’m at 5.54 out of 6 trying to max fence rep. I like hunting PMCs as well they’re fun and can really help with fence rep. I popped a PMC in factory from the rafters 50M away with a mosin headshot and was feeling good. Then an ai scav started blasting me and I thought well maybe that wasn’t a PMC. He killed me and I thought what a bunch of poo poo this is.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Tabletops posted:

i played 5 games and saw people exactly once

there is no point to money or value items. it's just converted into experience.

seems like it's an afterthought secondary system for leveling up guns or your dudes or whatever in WZ or MP

I had a very similar experience. They added lots of items to loot but there’s no hideout system that makes loot interesting it’s all just $$$. Items are weird and large items take up the same amount of space as tiny items like an origami crane. There’s no traders or flea market.

You can see where the game is inspired by tarkov but it misses the mark entirely. I don’t expect it to have much longevity unless they radically change it. If I want to play tarkov I will and if I want COD then DMZ isn’t it for me.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The updater is running so slow right now to download 4.4GB of data. It’ll start at a few MB per second and then crawl to a 100kb per second. If you pause the download and resume it’ll speed it back up… for maybe 30 seconds. Do this one hundred times and you might even get to play tarkov tonight!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

poe meater posted:

It's been a while since I last played but the few raids I've done as a PMC on Ground Zero have loaded super fast. Probably the fastest I remember.

Been getting killed super fast too :banjo:

I'm enjoying ground zero and the short que times. Trying to get the hard drive quest done there not so much. The combat feels so much better this wipe.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It's bad for me when I'm trying to scav factory since I guess that's popular to do? It's like 5 mins max otherwise in the like dozen or so regular games I've played so far

SCAV factory matching is rough. It's often 8 minutes or failed to match for me. Matching for PMC has been good this wipe most raids take 1-3 minutes to match.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I don’t know who needs to read this but I just fixed a tarkov bug that’s been plaguing me for weeks. I have a pretty decent PC, despite this after every raid my game would freeze for 30 seconds before letting me navigate menus. Turns out having a disconnected network drive caused this problem. Removed the network drive and boom problem is gone.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Mae posted:

Scavving before karma was way more fun because you'd end up in weird fights where you both had 10 round mags and couldn't shoot straight. More than a couple of times I had to bonk a guy with a shovel

I agree the scav game is soft now. Previously every scav raid in factory was a death match where you tried to loot a few things, kill a couple scavs, and extract before getting popped. Now many of the raids are run around the factory looking for scraps with no shooting before extracting.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The highs in this game can be so great. I did a duo raid with a friend on woods as he had some quests. Popped a PMC and then a ton of SCAV's. Later while collecting the blood sample from the van I got pushed on by another PMC and took heavy damage. He pushed up on me heavily focused, meanwhile my friend was able to snipe him from up the hill. Then I ran into lumber camp while he looked out overhead. Schturman was stuck between the two of us and finally he made a mad dash at me, with my AKM loaded with PS I blasted him down. The net result was the SSK key, a labs key card, and a RED REBEL. After picking all this up I began taking shots blacking my leg from sniper rock. Later I would find out it was 338 lapua FMJ. After healing I extracted and sold the Red Rebel on the flea for 7 million roubles.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I think there are a few cheaters and that sucks. I’ve only had one obvious cheater this wipe, I reported and then a couple days letter I got a message saying they were banned. There was a Reddit post within the last week which lots of people saw and jumped on saying they were leaving the game. A few of my friends left too. IMO a lot of deaths to “cheaters” is really people getting outplayed. If you’re sprinting around the whole map making a ton of noise don’t be surprised when someone playing a bit slower pops you. Sound is crucial in this game.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
If you go to the tarkov website you can claim your Chinese new year package. The highlight is a vector 45 and enough buckwheat to trade for a blue fuel container.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

El Jebus posted:

I'm finally at a point where I'm just selling any gun I can buy because... well, I can buy it. Why waste the space holding onto it? Especially if it isn't in my normal rotation or required for a quest like svds.

The only one that has bit me is selling an RSASS and then later having to trade a ton of dog tags for one to complete a gunsmith quest.

The list of prohibited flea items is quite long and interesting.
https://www.ggrecon.com/guides/escape-from-tarkov-flea-market-banned-items-list/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Psycho Society posted:

i dont. too busy making dough at the bread factory baby

Some of my friends love playing scav because there is no risk and a good chance of reward. I’m so task driven I see it as taking time away from getting stuff done as my pmc character. I’m not too proud to scav i will solo scav occasionally but it’s normally a sprint to the camera exit on factory early wipe or if im low on funds.