Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Isn't the low budget and cheese part of the charm of Doctor Who? Making it a prestige show would be missing the point.

I'd agree. The show's never looked better, but I'd sacrifice that in a heartsbeat for something more creative and less polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Isn't the low budget and cheese part of the charm of Doctor Who? Making it a prestige show would be missing the point.

It's high budget and prestige in terms of a BBC budget. I wouldn't call any of the revival Doctor Who low budget.
You can't compare it to marvel/disney levels of budgets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It would be pretty great if they did give Doctor Who 15 million an episode like Mandalorean though.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

marktheando posted:

It would be pretty great if they did give Doctor Who 15 million an episode like Mandalorean though.

I kinda like the budget constraints, it forces them to get creative. I feel like the show tries to cater more to American's and American money now and it hurt the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

marktheando posted:

You could create an absolutely bonkers Tardis interior using the Volume.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Tardis set would just be a video screen at that rate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1347687601050890240?s=20

My guess is the cover

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'd rather take Fear Her than a single episode featuring that wanker from the BT advert. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

FYI those are just made up by bookmakers to get money from gullible people, not based on any fact or insider knowledge of casting processes

Oh I know but just wanted to see some kind of list of potential people might be speculating about. Speaking of gambling, it's a moral thing I'm against but that's an antiquated moral when it comes to media. Trying to remember if the Doctor ever took an anti-gambling stance? Seems like the Doctor who be aware of the pain and evils of organized gambling businesses but then again, maybe poverty and debt and money don't mean much to a God.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

marktheando posted:

Star Trek Discovery might be a better visual reference point if you wanna imagine Doctor Who with a big budget but not Disney-budget

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Khanstant posted:

Star Trek Discovery might be a better visual reference point if you wanna imagine Doctor Who with a big budget but not Disney-budget
Well, it's got a ship that's clearly bigger on the inside, judging by that ridiculous turbolift void that looks like it belongs in the Death Star...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If we're going back to a man, Rahul Kohli has definitely expressed a wish to be the Doctor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I hope its all rumor and nonsense, and Jodie stays on as The Doctor. But failing that, how about The Master successfully body swaps, and Sacha Dhawan plays The Doctor and Jodie Whittaker plays The Master.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 9, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SiKboy posted:

I hope its all rumor and nonsense, and Jodie stays on as The Doctor. But failing that, how about The Master successfully body swaps, and Sacha Dhawan plays The Doctor and Jodie Whittaker plays The Master.

:hmmyes:

I’m just picturing the Doctor and the Master getting caught in the same explosion, and when the dust clears they both stand up, see each other’s faces, and go “...what? WHAT?“ right before the music swells and credits roll.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish did a third doctor/master body swap story and it was really fun--seeing that dynamic on screen seems like a fun idea

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:hmmyes:

I’m just picturing the Doctor and the Master getting caught in the same explosion, and when the dust clears they both stand up, see each other’s faces, and go “...what? WHAT?“ right before the music swells and credits roll.

Kinda like that Quantum Leap episode where lighting strikes and Al and Sam switch places, only not evil.

Also, its just a rumor that Jodie Whittaker is leaving right?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Kinda like that Quantum Leap episode where lighting strikes and Al and Sam switch places, only not evil.

Also, its just a rumor that Jodie Whittaker is leaving right?

Reported in the Mirror, but not officially confirmed by the beeb yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1348011915889537028?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder why they’re not getting Billie Piper.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder why they’re not getting Billie Piper.

Maybe the first set or two is set pre-meeting rose? They put at least one of the 9th doctor chronicles stories there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
This week's random Doctor Who was The Two Doctors, which has a wonderful final episode and an absolutely abysmal first two episodes. One of my fellow watches gave it 5/5 in his review and compared it to The Duchess of Malfi. There's zero accounting for taste.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The restaurant scene is worth putting up with all the less good stuff in the Two Doctors.

I'm watching The Angels Take Manhattan right now and I wasn't paying enough attention, I've forgotten how the Angels work now. Why does Moffat have to change how they work every time they appear?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Two Doctors is great, and was my first realization that any trio involving Jamie with ANY Doctor is gonna be great.

"Ahhh, always a pleasure to meet two gentlemen.... of the old school."

Though in keeping with the earlier discussion of Kerblam!, it always strikes me as odd that Oscar legitimately gets killed as opposed to just being a comedy character who mistakes sauce on his shirt for a wound or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh look people acting like it's cool to talk poo poo about Six again.

I will assault you with unsold copies of the Timelash novelization.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Oh look people acting like it's cool to talk poo poo about Six again.

I will assault you with unsold copies of the Timelash novelization.

drat, 100% of the publishing run? :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THEY SOLD ONE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Congratulations on the monopoly

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I've just watched the new episode.

The Doctor.... just let Chris Noth get away with it. No repercussions, no consequences, not even a scolding.

I just cannot get over that. When I saw him in the preview, I thought for sure, they're bringing him back after the spider episode just to get his comeuppance.

I'm... baffled.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Flight Bisque posted:

The Doctor.... just let Chris Noth get away with it. No repercussions, no consequences, not even a scolding.

I just cannot get over that. When I saw him in the preview, I thought for sure, they're bringing him back after the spider episode just to get his comeuppance.

I'm... baffled.

Doing literally anything to stop the bad guy makes you just as bad, if not worse, than the bad guy, duh.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Season 39 is where Jack Robertson (I had to look up that character's name) teams with Tzim-Sha for some MacGuffin that is never defined.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Doing literally anything to stop the bad guy makes you just as bad, if not worse, than the bad guy, duh.
Oh but if a computer system goes full Sigma and murders a few people in self defence that’s AOK.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Edward Mass posted:

Season 39 is where Jack Robertson (I had to look up that character's name) teams with Tzim-Sha for some MacGuffin that is never defined.

Yeah and that's another thing, all that bullshit buildup of why are the lights changing colors???
oh it's because of a plot point in the prequel to this episode.

That poo poo might as well have happened to Tom Baker for as long as it's been.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Flight Bisque posted:

I'm... baffled.

Honestly what I suspect here is that, since that character is so blatantly a Donald Trump analog and the episode was filmed in 2019, they maybe didn't want to give the character a wish-fulfilment ending in case things went differently to how they ended up going. Imagine if they DID give him a full-bore comeuppance ending, but Trump got re-elected, it would've felt WAY worse.

Better to set up for a third story with him that they can write when they KNOW how Trump plays out in the next few years and what kind of ending they can properly give him. Plus, it means Chris Noth comes back to be an rear end in a top hat idiot again, and that's great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

I'm... baffled.

I think that's one of the main thing that made the person inspiring the character such a strong villain, the ridiculous lengths to which they could do horrible things and never face real repercussions or instead get rewarded.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Honestly what I suspect here is that, since that character is so blatantly a Donald Trump analog and the episode was filmed in 2019, they maybe didn't want to give the character a wish-fulfilment ending in case things went differently to how they ended up going. Imagine if they DID give him a full-bore comeuppance ending, but Trump got re-elected, it would've felt WAY worse.

Better to set up for a third story with him that they can write when they KNOW how Trump plays out in the next few years and what kind of ending they can properly give him. Plus, it means Chris Noth comes back to be an rear end in a top hat idiot again, and that's great.

they could have just not had him in it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dabir posted:

they could have just not had him in it

Not as easy as it seems there, because he's kinda what makes the whole plot work in the way it does. Who else could you really get in the position of 'guy who unintentionally bankrolls a Dalek army'? You need the Daleks being sold 'innocently' as securitech since that's the core of the whole thing, and they clearly wanted that to be a known figure, who else even is there that's feasibly 'in play' in the current era? It's basically just Robertson and that tech CEO from Spyfall, and I think they made the right choice between those two; the Spyfall guy was already actively malevolent and had a plan that would've killed humans for aliens, so he's out because it's too similar. Robertson's kinda perfect for his role in the story.

Plus, as far as I can tell from people I talk to about Doctor Who outside of this thread, that character was actually pretty drat popular. Of course they'd bring him back, he's a lot of fun as a villain. They were just kinda hamstrung about how they could conclude his presence in the story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Not as easy as it seems there, because he's kinda what makes the whole plot work in the way it does. Who else could you really get in the position of 'guy who unintentionally bankrolls a Dalek army'? You need the Daleks being sold 'innocently' as securitech since that's the core of the whole thing, and they clearly wanted that to be a known figure, who else even is there that's feasibly 'in play' in the current era? It's basically just Robertson and that tech CEO from Spyfall, and I think they made the right choice between those two; the Spyfall guy was already actively malevolent and had a plan that would've killed humans for aliens, so he's out because it's too similar. Robertson's kinda perfect for his role in the story.

Plus, as far as I can tell from people I talk to about Doctor Who outside of this thread, that character was actually pretty drat popular. Of course they'd bring him back, he's a lot of fun as a villain. They were just kinda hamstrung about how they could conclude his presence in the story.

They could have just introduced a new character as "billionaire tech guy" just like they introduced a new character to be "Too dumb to live scientist" and "Theresa May". There was no real reason for it to be a known character, its not like the plot hinged on it being specifically this guy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect they're doing an arc. I mean, they go to the trouble of shipping the guy all the way out from New York every few years, he's not just some random casting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With potentially only 8 Jodie episodes to go, and covid stopping US-UK air travel, it probably won’t be next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

They could have just introduced a new character as "billionaire tech guy" just like they introduced a new character to be "Too dumb to live scientist" and "Theresa May". There was no real reason for it to be a known character, its not like the plot hinged on it being specifically this guy.

Or they could have have made the collaborator Theresa May and try and actually say something about pol--ah, hold on, I've just been informed that the most competent episode the showrunner ever wrote is titled Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.