Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ah yes, now to carefully open the box with the alien monster inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

:siren: SQUARENESS GUN :siren:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Ryan and Graham leaving feels completely off, like it should be the culmination of an entirely different episode.

It was a pretty good scene, and Ryan growing up and finding his place in the world seems like a decent end point for the character. But it's come completely out of left-field.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I liked that last scene between Ryan and Graham but where the hell did it come from? That whole episode felt weirdly put together, like we're just doing giant public alien invasions and mass deaths and then everything going back to normal stories again? The tone of the thing was all over the place.

And somebody called John Bishop is gonna be the new companion, I have no idea who that is but looking him up he's a footballer/comedian?

I feel like there was an early draft where Graham/Ryan had used the intervening 10 months to actually build something with their lives that they were doing something useful in their community. But then that got cut and we're left with this weird half-story.

John Bishop owns, and I think he's gonna be a great companion. Although he's gonna be bringing pretty much the same vibes as Bradley Walsh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yannick_B posted:

Even when I don't like brand new Doctor Who, it pumps me up to rewatch the show.
I put on Boomtown and it's GREAT.

You know everything you need to know about Mickey, Jack, Rose, The Doctor, their relationships and even their backstories
as earthbound/scifi characters in their very first scene. I still feel like I know nothing about the current crew of companions.

It's astounding how RTD is good at communicating different, dynamic characters in one single scene.

Of course, it's also very silly in a way that will always grate on some fans, but the characters are so good.

The bit where they're high-fiving each other whilst explainig the Rift to Mickey is just so good. Especially his look of utter despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

One of my favourite Whittaker moments is when the Master is all "kneel! kneel before me doctor!" and she just kinda shrugs and kneels. Tennant or Smith would have made a big deal of it, some big clash of wills, and she doesn't give a poo poo because its an entirely meaningless and hollow gesture.

I can't think of a half-decent angry-doctor scene she's had though. I'm fine with a much more chill Doctor, but I want some of those moments when we see the proper Time Lord rage.