Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Problem description: Bought new mobo, RAM and CPU. Powers up and fan spins, but doesn't post. Red light and Code '00' shows, indicating CPU issue?

Attempted fixes: Taken everything apart twice, reseated all power cables and cooler. Flashed the BIOS by USB. Checked CPU for bent pins, couldn't find any. Tried both sticks of RAM solo in primary slot.

Recent changes: -

Operating system: -

System specs:

ASUS ROG Strix B550 Gaming E
Ryzen 3600
2x16GB Corsair LPX 3600Mhz
nVidia 1070 Ti
600W PSU, unsure what, but it worked yesterday no issues.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Not really a seasoned PC builder, kinda reached the end of my knowledge. Only thing left I can think of beyond the CPU being kaput is that the PSU might be too old? It has a 2x4 pin adaptor, the mobo has 8+4 socket. But stuff I read online seems to suggest that the supplementary 4 pin doesn't really matter. The 2x4 slotted into the 8 pin slot OK.

I have my old CPU 4790k, but I don't think it will fit onto this motherboard for me to test with right? Seems like it only supports AM4+ socket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
According to the motherboard manual: "Ensure that all power cables are unplugged before installing the CPU." Since your PSU does not have the required cables you'll need to get a new one. The wattage of that PSU is fine, but when getting a new PSU consider whether or not you plan on making any upgrades. Look online for a power supply finder, and input the hardware that you are considering buying. Make sure that the PSU you select supports your upgrades, or you will be buying yet another PSU when you buy yourself a new GPU for example. More than likely a 600W PSU will work though.

Edit: Actually, it seems like your PSU should be fine. As you stated the 4 pin connector is not required. My apologies. You stated that the PSU worked yesterday. This is a strange problem. Your CPU has worked with that motherboard since BIOS version 0248. More than likely you have that BIOS or newer already. You are correct about 00 indicating a CPU error.

Can you tell me how you applied your thermal paste and cooler? Maybe that'll help tackle the problem.

Also have you tested turning on your computer without the RAM installed? I am curious if it has a different error, asking for the RAM.

G-Philez fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 26, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
CPU and stock cooler came attached already as a bundle pre-assembled. When I did all the reseating I saw it did already have thermal paste applied, but I did add a smidge more. Tomorrow I will try to boot without RAM just in case that is somehow responsible.

I noticed in the manual that there should be some additional LEDs somewhere in the top right that can indicate if there are issues, beyond the code thing. I didn't notice them working today but I will check those tomorrow too in case they give more info.

Thanks for your input.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
I built a new asus motherboard system, and it would not boot. I forget if it has diagnostic lights. But anyway, out of the box the bios settings was set to some zany overclocked mode.
Thus it would freeze as soon as it tried to boot. Did not run hot, according to the bios menu.
Now you said you did a bios flash, but my Asus board still seems to have a selective memory. I.e the stupid rgb light strip goes back to default!

Check the your cpu clock/voltage settings, set it to another profile if there are any, and then set it back to default.