Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

betty boof posted:

It's not like we invented mayonnaise

mayonnaise was not invented, it was discovered

it is an inherent and essential part of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

yeah i feel like carmack has been coasting for decades now. Which is as it should be, if i had that guys money i'd never touch a computer again as long as i lived, but the idea that he has some weird repuation to protect or whatever seems off to me. Dude got real rich and seemed to be a good programmer, those guys arent really in short supply around here.

dude worked crazy hours on mobile VR at Oculus, at least, squeezing perf out of every layer so that you could have 7 minutes of mediocre, poorly-tracked VR before your phone ran out of battery

(it only made it that far without thermal shutdown because we had a magic API from Samsung to disable the thermal limits; throttled down like it would after about 2 mins of play, nothing could hit frame rate targets)

it was kinda cool as a Netflix viewer though, lighter than current headsets

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Old One posted:

I dunno if Carmack was the technical brains that made FPS games possible but he was definitely not the one who made them fun

yeah, absolutely not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

polyester concept posted:

remember when this format of jokes was called "weird twitter"

what’s the format you mean? the square brackets stage direction?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s impressive. iirc our stress test was 2500 tabs of random Wikipedia pages, but that was a decade+ ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I hadn’t realized that it was no longer an intra-SA term of endearment, and I’m glad to learn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

found a new resume header, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KoRMaK posted:

this but its about ruby and rvm

chruby!