Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

then got bought by Palm iirc

solving the problem where palm had a really popular broadly used os and wanted to break into the "tech demo toy" market instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

that's the same attitude that made airports suck in the first place

time to double down

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Also does that actually say that he spent $340,000 sending messages to this woman?

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

does not make the top 10 of weird things about santos though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

I think wikipedia is important and I'm glad they have money and I give them $50 a year and its a bargain for the utility I get out of it.

they have near as i can tell been pretty reasonable with how they spend money, so indeed why not.

it is surprising though, as most organizations go off the rails quick if they start amassing money badly connected to their original purpose. e.g. imagine the poor fools donating to mozilla only to have them go out buying ai startups to make bad extensions for them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ibm was right to keep pushing decimal though, so much use of floating point would be better served by a simple decimal type.

in general a rich selection of representations of basic stuff like numbers is good. which is a big reason why javascript is so bad.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

he was real old. but i believe he was doing some relevant stuff up until surprisingly recently (by which i mean in the same timespan yospos existed, not the other day)

indeed a titan though, we'd have been better off to have listened more to his ideas.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

this is a really funny thread. account being quoted is hedge fund manager and noted dipshit bill ackman's wife, who reportedly plagiarized her thesis and was pals with epstein

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1744188570641031178

being in academia ive followed this a bit, and the full background is too long to go through here, but it's genuinely real funny.

ill just note that: there's layers of irony; ackman on top of listed faults also desperately wants to drink the blood of palestinian children; and; the only people getting directly hurt are like harvard academics you don't need to worry about.

clean fun.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't read, but if that is not the post, he also had one where he calls himself the 'protagonist' of the controversy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

yeah well if modern GPUs are so great, then how come they can't make the boob sliders go any bigger?

my friend, you need to look into this stable diffusion stuff

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

don't think he's actually upset about it, in general it seems a fun and fine thing for kids to do. it is indeed a weird thing to have come around for any old fogey acutely aware of this being a thing since forever though. kind of relective of a marketing landscape that managed to obscure that reality effectively from kids for a bit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

the technology connections guy now qualifies as an influencer because i bet there are now people importing christmas lights from europe because of him

kind of why i don't think he can be quite serious with the complaint, because it is if anything horning in on his racket :D

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

i absolutely do not envy the people who have to do this on a forum with more than a few hundred posts a day of traffic, or that isn’t tied to people’s jobs in a way that keeps them mostly in line

tbh i think it being tied to work makes it work, i would assume one of the things making modding sa at least doable is that one can just remember that it basically is a useless waste of time for everyone so probing/banning someone is no big deal. presumably you can't reasonably ban anyone at all from a work forum.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

problem with those ads trending is that there's no way we wont have brands trying to play this game.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

betty boof posted:

This ad will forever live rent-free in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWSJEvpi5tY

tbf it appears to be about 200 bytes of memory, so given we don't have to remember phone numbers anymore you're still ahead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wait, i didn't follow, has bdid sold out to elon and is now a billionaire?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

christie so fat that when he goes to the beach,

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm old enough that not only do i want the big screen, if it is a big purchase or flights or such i am pretty likely to print the confirmation.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carmack never had good opinions, and honestly i don't think this is even slightly inconsistent with his past opinions.

i find it kind of easy to not care though, he isn't exactly relevant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

drat that is seriously hosed up, someone still posting on threads

i have no idea what i am looking at in these anymore, it is just the normal that i get an embed with nested pieces of random ui from a bunch of places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in real life most scenarios outside of skydiving accidents will have you dealing with trees trunk up.