Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/JimBelushi/status/1343692787137585152

what anime would you recommend to Jim Belushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Interspecies Reviewers

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
Words Worth

real answer: the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Zombieland Saga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A Silent Voice.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Prison School

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jojo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bunny Girl Senpai.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Food Wars

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

that Keijo!!!!!!!! show from however many years ago

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
full metal alchemist

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Important update: https://twitter.com/jimbelushi/status/1343978198367932418?s=21

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, the obvious one is Weathering with You, since it's more Shinkai.

(Garden of Words is also good, but the central premise can be alienating, and Shinkai's stuff before Garden felt less confident.)

Going with a TV anime, even a relatively short one, requires much more of a commitment, and that's not something you rush someone into. (Although, for TV, the obvious one is Future Boy Conan, since it's one of the first examples of Miyazaki doing his thing). I'd also try to find out what kind of things would be unwanted.

Like, Jin Roh is a really good movie, but it's also really grim, and if you're looking for more anime since you had fun with Totoro, that's not necessarily what you're in the mood for. Royal Space Force is tonally closer, but it also has a sympathetic character attempt rape and get forgiven for it, which can be enough for people to write the movie off entirely. Mob Psycho 100 is a great TV anime, but the sketchy art style, while deliberate, also just doesn't work for some people. FLCL is a ride and a half, but it's also, well, a ride and a half, going Full Anime in ways that can just make people swear off the medium entirely if it doesn't connect.

It's always an interesting question what to recommend someone, because it says a lot about both of you how you answer. It feels like I should end this with a smartass comment, since the thread's obviously something of a joke, but thinking about it seriously is more fun.

(Oh! Eizouken! Eizouken is excellent!)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

chiasaur11 posted:

It's always an interesting question what to recommend someone, because it says a lot about both of you how you answer. It feels like I should end this with a smartass comment, since the thread's obviously something of a joke, but thinking about it seriously is more fun.

I’m genuinely delighted to see so many serious answers. My suggestion would be Your Name for a movie and March Comes In Like A Lion for a tv show

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The correct answer is Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Can Of Worms posted:

The correct answer is Thunderbolt Fantasy.
I honestly did not know that a part of me would be all for a glove puppetry series to that extent, but by jove, I loved that poo poo more than a djent kid loves Periphery.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Legends of Galatic Heroes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Of course you have the sadistic Twitter assholes recommending Boku no Pico. :negative:

Real answer: Anything by Satoshi Kon. Dude is legit the best anime director of the last 30 years.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dennō Coil

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

that one about the drunk office lady and her friend with the reindeer antlers and the tig ol bitties

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

that one about the drunk office lady and her friend with the reindeer antlers and the tig ol bitties

You should give the name, so that uhhhh Jim Belushi can watch it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bill Burr gave a good recommendation of One Punch Man.

Or just Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

chumbler posted:

You should give the name, so that uhhhh Jim Belushi can watch it.

I think the tits and antlers one was like a maid or something idk

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I think the tits and antlers one was like a maid or something idk

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, one of Kyo-Ani's TV anime.

Definitely falls under the "How much anime with a capital A are you up for?" category.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CannonFodder posted:

Bill Burr gave a good recommendation of One Punch Man.

Bill Burr's initial spiel on OPM is something to behold.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:hmmyes: More people should hear this.

*commentary on social commentary that gets problematic at times* "Or you could get high and watch a guy punch a crab in the head and watch it explode" is right up the Jim Belushi alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Honestly? Cowboy Bebop. It's a little dated, but there's a reason it got so much acclaim and if you don't really watch any anime it's a good gateway series that doesn't really lose anything if you're totally unfamiliar with Japanese culture.