Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, the obvious one is Weathering with You, since it's more Shinkai.

(Garden of Words is also good, but the central premise can be alienating, and Shinkai's stuff before Garden felt less confident.)

Going with a TV anime, even a relatively short one, requires much more of a commitment, and that's not something you rush someone into. (Although, for TV, the obvious one is Future Boy Conan, since it's one of the first examples of Miyazaki doing his thing). I'd also try to find out what kind of things would be unwanted.

Like, Jin Roh is a really good movie, but it's also really grim, and if you're looking for more anime since you had fun with Totoro, that's not necessarily what you're in the mood for. Royal Space Force is tonally closer, but it also has a sympathetic character attempt rape and get forgiven for it, which can be enough for people to write the movie off entirely. Mob Psycho 100 is a great TV anime, but the sketchy art style, while deliberate, also just doesn't work for some people. FLCL is a ride and a half, but it's also, well, a ride and a half, going Full Anime in ways that can just make people swear off the medium entirely if it doesn't connect.

It's always an interesting question what to recommend someone, because it says a lot about both of you how you answer. It feels like I should end this with a smartass comment, since the thread's obviously something of a joke, but thinking about it seriously is more fun.

(Oh! Eizouken! Eizouken is excellent!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I think the tits and antlers one was like a maid or something idk

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, one of Kyo-Ani's TV anime.

Definitely falls under the "How much anime with a capital A are you up for?" category.