Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

hey pretty cool imo. Big robot fan here, as long as they aren't the sort which ruthlessly hunts you down and murders you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When they kill our future soldiers they will be able to dougie over the corpse

A glorious future awaits us

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
a robot uprising joke under a Boston Dynamic video, huh? no one's ever thought of THAT before

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i know the company makes actual real robots but this really looks like cgi

barnold posted:

a robot uprising joke under a Boston Dynamic video, huh? no one's ever thought of THAT before
oh poo poo is it too late for me to post the first "who downvoted this video" comment

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

barnold posted:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyLJ-fWbSI

lol this is actually still in my clipboard from when i posted it to funny av guy in qcs

gary oldmans diary posted:

oh poo poo is it too late for me to post the first "who downvoted this video" comment

no but you have to say "first!!" otherwise it doesnt count

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They need to give them fancy clothes if they want to win strictly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

barnold posted:

no but you have to say "first!!" otherwise it doesnt count
🔊https://i.imgur.com/mbWA22q.mp4

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i think it's the way they don't quite move like a human or animal, something weirdly abrupt and mechanical in the motions. I definitely got the same feeling

i guess they are owned by Hyundai or someone now. But I for one welcome our new Korean robot overlords,

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They're no Patrick Swayze

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

barnold posted:

If there isn’t an uprising I’ll be pissed

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I don't know why but I was expecting the Nick Cave Do You Love Me? instead of The Contours

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Dear Watson posted:

If there isn’t an uprising I’ll be pissed

hell, same

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i feel like its the lighting and (jumping the gun here but) the textures

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cubone posted:

I don't know why but I was expecting the Nick Cave Do You Love Me? instead of The Contours

I realized I’m too online for expecting the Old Greg version.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
It's horrific, when the 3 of them are there

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

:same:

It's probably because everything in this video is now possible to imitate 100% in cgi.

Spinz posted:

It's horrific, when the 3 of them are there

I found it quite charming, I'd let them probe me for sure.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Boston Dynamics has come a long way from the buzzing black four-legged nightmare that looked and sounded like it should be chasing you around Silent Hill

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Suction crane-face needs pincers to look more deliberately menacing. I think we found the third dimension in the uncanny valley.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Boston Dynamics has come a long way from the buzzing black four-legged nightmare that looked and sounded like it should be chasing you around Silent Hill

nightmare fuel is a renewable resource

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i want them to make a mechanical human face that moves super realistically. like remember this little bastard?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
when you find robot music you like its hard to change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wsLt42KYpM

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Homeless people starving on the street
Boston Dynamics haz dancing robutts

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If the robot isn't getting bicycle kicked then idgaf

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Finally a robot that can show me up on the dance floor and gently caress my wife.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Homeless people starving on the street
Boston Dynamics haz dancing robutts

one problem will eventually be applied to the other but not how we hoped

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

There's an app for that:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
That is an incredible amount of automation. Shifting weight to one foot while twisting... engineers, designers, programmers should be super proud. We don't have jetpacks and flying cars for the most part (I know we have them), but drat, the future is finally getting here.

Are they using lithium battery packs for a power source? How long does a charge hold for?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

can't wait to see the new Boston Dynamics robots glitch through the floor then get launched 500 meters into the air

Johnny will protect us I hope

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the world of cognitive robotics has come a long way since aibo soccer

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm not impressed. The hallmark to good dancing is doing the splits, then rising back up to a standing position like Cab Calloway. I get the feeling if these things tried to do the splits their legs would rip off.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cool stuff. Has Boston dynamics ever actually sold anything and made any money or do they just consume it in the hopes they make robocops for the rich?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No not a cent

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ostritch bot is dummy thicc

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I liked the part where the claw was lip syncing, they should have kept that up for the whole thing.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Cool stuff. Has Boston dynamics ever actually sold anything and made any money or do they just consume it in the hopes they make robocops for the rich?

You can buy one of the small dog robots from them for like 75k iirc

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

You can buy one of the small dog robots from them for like 75k iirc

Does it come with winrar?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

They sold a few dozen? Hundred? Spot robots last year, but all indications were that their long time CEO was only interested in puttering around his workshop building cool gizmos and gadgets without a single care as to their practical value

Recently however he retired to a less authoritative position in the R&D department, which is theorized to be part of a greater trend towards a more commercial focus for the company. The ostrich box mover bot is the first machine they’ve designed with a specific customer and business use-case in mind.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I think most of the purchases have been by researchers who had spare grant money or just rich people who thought they were cool and could justify it as a “business expense” like Elon Musk even if there wasn’t much practical value

https://youtu.be/gD7K6-q-o50

Wow robots are even stealing jobs from dogs now? This time they’ve gone too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This was linked to that tub and I do like me some Adam Savage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PdPtqw78k