Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Meanwhile, in Japan:

https://youtu.be/dNjCd_eLsRA

https://youtu.be/G9p9jdmJQOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately the robots are from Boston so they are also extremely racist.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Now they can dance on our corpses and give us a proper tbagging when they take over

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I like the protective wall in case the robot goes crazy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tip posted:

Finally a robot that can show me up on the dance floor and gently caress my wife.

Of course 2020 ends with my job being outsourced. :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know why everyone is afraid of robots.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
It's like dinosaurs except the horror is in the future instead of the past, increasingly the present. Neato

Mindless fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 30, 2020

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

gary oldmans diary posted:

i know the company makes actual real robots but this really looks like cgi

the more I watch it the more I think something is definitely off about the lighting

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We're watching objects moved around by computer code so there's something about that that's exactly like every 3D animation we've ever seen, doesn't help that the environment looks like what you would do if you faked this... blow up the outside, very reflective surfaces to "sell" photorealism. And it's filmed with a steadicam, the cam looks like it's on rails.

What I'm saying is this is most definitely real but it looks exactly like it would if you faked it.

This probably says more about how far we've come with computer graphics than with robotics.
Don't get me wrong it's a cute dance but I can sit right here talking poo poo about that robot and it still won't hunt me down and turn me into biofuel.
3/5

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 30, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

not Michael Jackson, therefore it sucks 0/10

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i ain't gonna be impressed until i see a fuckbot jogging down the road to my apartment so it can gently caress me

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The first person to found a jogging fuckbot company will indeed make a fortune

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i ain't gonna be impressed until i see a fuckbot jogging down the road to my apartment so it can gently caress me

Ordering a Boston Cream is gonna mean something very different once these bad boys get installed at your local donut shop. Coffee's still gonna be watered down garbage though, you think they pay fuckbot to make coffee?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is this really what we should be wasting our time teaching robots?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
When is Boston Dynamics going to make robotic strippers?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

It doesn’t even look like a human. Look at that face.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It doesn’t even look like a human. Look at that face.

Humans don't care about the face as long as it can put on a good striptease
This is a historic fact

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

John_A_Tallon posted:

Humans don't care about the face as long as it can put on a good striptease
This is a historic fact

Well it certainly isn’t hanging “good dong”

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
They're going to have a real problem with people like me trying to gently caress these robots

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This would be a couple orders of magnitude cooler if it wasn't murder technology specifically designed to make wars of aggression and killing of poor people politically easier to sell to the electorate. Like, when I see Japan present a robot that can lift grandma 10% faster that's kinda cool. This is just plain depressing and creepy.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This is 100% CGI, look at that jump in the beginning. If they were capable of such advanced moves there would be way more videos of them doing impressive poo poo

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
These robots are pretty lovely dancers if you ask me. That hosed up dog is alright though.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

GABA ghoul posted:

This would be a couple orders of magnitude cooler if it wasn't murder technology specifically designed to make wars of aggression and killing of poor people politically easier to sell to the electorate. Like, when I see Japan present a robot that can lift grandma 10% faster that's kinda cool. This is just plain depressing and creepy.

lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sekenr posted:

This is 100% CGI, look at that jump in the beginning. If they were capable of such advanced moves there would be way more videos of them doing impressive poo poo

i think that this is the video of them doing impressive poo poo that you're talking about

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The idea that it would ever be cheaper and more practical to murder people with a robot than just other people or a bomb is pretty funny :thunk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dallas cops were so cowardly that they once loaded up a bomb defusing robot with bombs to blow a guy up.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dallas cops were so cowardly that they once loaded up a bomb defusing robot with bombs to blow a guy up.

And then George Bush got drunk and danced at the candlelight vigil.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

The idea that it would ever be cheaper and more practical to murder people with a robot than just other people or a bomb is pretty funny :thunk:

The most important problem for war mongers today are human casualties because they create political pressure to end conflicts and withdraw troops too early. Soldiers coming home in coffins is really bad for business.

Everything boston dynamics makes has the same problem going all the way back to big dog (witch was financed by DARPA btw) and it's that there is no major market or application for this stuff outside of the military. They are basically incrementing on the technology untill it is ready to be sold in mass to the military as weapons platforms, support equipment and for logistics. They are hoping to revolutionize land warfare the same way that drones revolutionized air support/strikes and make an astronomical shitton of money in the process.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the robotics research they are doing is really impressive and has a lot of general value. But it's just sad that this isn't coming from a civilian university doing basic research with public or pubic funds.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

The February revolution was made possible after disaffected soldiers stopped following orders, at first simply allowing rioters to pass through them, before joining the revolutionaries and raising arms against their former leaders. In the modern world there isn't likely to be a unified revolution, but it seems very likely that there could be huge amounts of seperate and conflicting guerrilla militias. The US military has already proven that they do a poor job of taking such things out even when they can hide what they are doing from most of the world. Domestic groups would be far better armed and whatever happens to them would be much more difficult to hide.

All human soldiers carry with them some sort of ideology or affiliation that can make them more sympathetic to some groups than others, and both individuals and groups could easily switch their allegiances away from the military to any one of the militias if things start getting bad enough for the people they care about. Hard to maintain control in such a situation–and even harder to maintain the illusion that the military is working for the national interest rather than the interests of a very select subsection of the nation. Doing away with the human component would make that control much easier to maintain, and concentrate it in the hands of a much smaller leadership group. Potentially it could allow one person to gain complete and total control of the military apparatus with no need to maintain other's loyalty.

Even without society crumbling that sort of "power struggle at the top" situation is worth considering. Billionaires being able to build their personal militaries and genocide squads without needing to convince anyone to join them or give enough bribes to keep their force loyal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6Ay_setdM

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Who What Now posted:

I don't know why everyone is afraid of robots.

Ironically, humans are afraid that robots will treat humans how humans have treated everything else on this planet.

E. Also, video is neat because it shows that the balance on these things is getting pretty great. Bet that guy who kicked the robot over in that video sleeps pretty lightly at night

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

1redflag posted:

Ironically, humans are afraid that robots will treat humans how humans have treated everything else on this planet.

E. Also, video is neat because it shows that the balance on these things is getting pretty great. Bet that guy who kicked the robot over in that video sleeps pretty lightly at night

Yeah but just, like, tell them not to do that.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Moon Atari posted:

Even without society crumbling that sort of "power struggle at the top" situation is worth considering. Billionaires being able to build their personal militaries and genocide squads without needing to convince anyone to join them or give enough bribes to keep their force loyal.

They still need to employ nerds, atleast until robot fixing robots come along.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Boston T-800 party

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Hey hey, i said these expensive bumbling robots with a battery life of 30 minutes aren't gonna be an efficient killing machine compared to man, I never said the US army aren't evil enough to use em

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

That robot that rolls in at 1:30 has a thicc booty

This is also really cool, especially if you’ve been watching their progress over the years.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Homeless people starving on the street
Boston Dynamics haz dancing robutts

Oh relax. Why can't we have both?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Can we go back to talking about how cool the dancing robots are, and the pearl clutchers can go activate their clutching robots somewhere else?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The robots dance because they are officially one month cancer free. Congratulations robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Moon Atari posted:

The February revolution was made possible after disaffected soldiers stopped following orders, at first simply allowing rioters to pass through them, before joining the revolutionaries and raising arms against their former leaders. In the modern world there isn't likely to be a unified revolution, but it seems very likely that there could be huge amounts of seperate and conflicting guerrilla militias. The US military has already proven that they do a poor job of taking such things out even when they can hide what they are doing from most of the world. Domestic groups would be far better armed and whatever happens to them would be much more difficult to hide.

All human soldiers carry with them some sort of ideology or affiliation that can make them more sympathetic to some groups than others, and both individuals and groups could easily switch their allegiances away from the military to any one of the militias if things start getting bad enough for the people they care about. Hard to maintain control in such a situation–and even harder to maintain the illusion that the military is working for the national interest rather than the interests of a very select subsection of the nation. Doing away with the human component would make that control much easier to maintain, and concentrate it in the hands of a much smaller leadership group. Potentially it could allow one person to gain complete and total control of the military apparatus with no need to maintain other's loyalty.

Equally inevitable in your scenario is hacked killbots murdering their former owner at the behest of an opposing force. It's just obvious enough that even the lovely leaders we have now will think twice about putting all their eggs in one basket. It's likely that the technology won't be used in a scenario like yours until there's at least two competing companies making the machines. Until then, it'll be supplementing human fighters.