Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
*relaxes in west australian*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

You scrunts better keep posting in here. I'm old and hate change and don't like discord, but do you like all of you.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't relax too hard mate, from some rumours I've heard.

its campaign season, i haven't relaxed for months

i am protesting greyhound racing for new years eve because i am such an exciting person

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
even loving covid isn't going to stop me from stealing this election from mcgowan!!!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Get McGowowned.

Nothing concrete, just that theres an assumption that covid will break quarantine again now that we're open to the east again and it's only a matter of time until our next lockdown, so basically keep doing as much covid safety as possible.

Hopefully after seeing what happened to VIC, and the fact that we have had it very easy over the last few months, if any comminity traces are detected there will be a very quick lockdown and people will follow it. McGowan is basically building his entire election campaign on the fact he saved WA from the crow, so I don't think he will hesitate to lock poo poo down very quickly.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Also, dammit Hooman, come join the discord!

don't do it, it's a trap

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

cover your yawn with a mask so you don't spread covid

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

Pfft, I want stage 6, where the ring of steel is mad max gangs.

stage 7: execute everyone outside of WA

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Artificial Kid posted:

Are there amazing benefits to masks other than preventing the spread of respiratory illnesses?

you can buy a mask that looks rad as gently caress and pretend you are a cyber punk

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
just wear the mask you abacus gremlin

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
A friend of mine got in trouble when he worked at a bottle shop for selling alcohol to an undercover cop. He didn't card the cop, because he looked older than 21. He got in trouble for not carding someone who turned out to be over 18. This incident went on for months and months where he worked, so he quit.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

To be clear, although I reserve the right to have a nice cleansing sook about it, I endorse the mask wearing requirement 100%.

scream into the void, but wear a mask when doing so

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

perepelki posted:

nowadays i wear a black cloth mask even when not mandated to because it makes me more intimidating

same except to stop (more) skin cancer

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

^^^ Are any outlets reporting similar to the above? Because that seems pretty dire.

Wish they'd put a black cloth mask around your posts.

*muffled shitposting noises*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
the lives of people who say "all lives matter" don't matter

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Who the gently caress was campaigning to change the name of Coon cheese lmao

The only reasonable argument for the change is the time that imbecile Courtney Barnett did Black Skinhead by Yeezy and changed the lyric "coon poo poo" to "coon cheese" while giggling like a child.

300 chickens

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bell jar posted:

Unironically though, where else would you rather live? For me it would probably only be New Zealand

antarctica

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

perepelki posted:

- nobody likes australian cinema

mate

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

WA joins the stronk state club

always was

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Boomer brain is caused by lead poisoning.

Wonder what future all those microplastics are going to give us?

collect enough of it and you might get $0.10 from a container deposit scheme

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mr Chips posted:

What happens if someone in quarantine needs hospitalisation?

*tony abbott voice* well they can get their medicine themselves they aren't that sick

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
why don't we give all the people under quarantine a pile of tires and corrugated tin sheeting, and an open paddock, and they can build themselves their own quarantine town

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

ban all pets, they are emotional support slave labour

you'll take my parrot from my cold dead parrot bitten hands

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can’t we just send all the South African mutants to Perth like we’ve done for the last 30 years?

they don't vote Labor so McGowan doesn't want them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i'll absorb the vaccines and become a blood god like le magra at the end of blade

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I AM THE HERALD OF NURGLE

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Unfortunely it for him it is his responsibilty, but it not his fault.

Ita actually the collective responsibility of society to minimize the transmission of viruses like influenza & coronavirus, through vaccinations, masks, washing your hands, not going to work when sick etc

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Are you a libertarian?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

I think people need to realise that even with the vaccines - it is highly likely, if not certain that covid isn't going to go away. It may become less or more virulent or infectious over different years dependent on strains but it will hardly be newsworthy anymore (unless there's a bad year), but it won't be suddenly eliminated like small pox was - which took 200 years. The borders will eventually have to open.

The whole point of the lockdown and social distancing and closing borders was to not have the vast majority of the population get smashed with a disease that 100% of the population is vulnerable to. Vaccines will provide enough protection that a whole slew of people won't die every day for a year or two until herd immunity is reached.

I predict next year is going to be pretty cooked as cases of influenza have been basically non-existent since the introduction of lockdowns and quarantine for international travelers. Which is loving astounding seeing there were over 700 deaths from flu in 2019)
Unfortunately the vulnerable people that didn't die from flu last year or this year are going to be hit VERY hard when international travel occurs again and social distancing isn't a thing anymore, or if enough people don't get the fluvax or the fluvax doesn't cover the dominant flu type that's circulating.

And yes - people who are immunocompromised are responsible for their own health and welfare when it comes to airborne/droplet viruses and bacteria. Nothing is really going to change for one of my friends with cystic fibrosis who's had a double lung transplant. These people constantly have to be careful with hygiene etc. It's not libertarian thought - it's one based in reality.

How does "public health is a public responsibility", when talking about infectious diseases such as influenza and covid, in any way preclude people with suppressed immune systems also managing their own safety & hygeine?

Do you get your yearly flu vaccinations? If you thought you had an infectious respiritory infection, would you visit your friend who is immunocompromised?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

Easy questions
I work in the health field.
Yes I get my yearly flu vaccination.
No I wouldn't visit my immunocompromised friend if I had a respiratory illness - just like you shouldn't be turning up to a nursing home with flu symptoms because outbreaks can make a few people sick or kill them. This was happening before covid.

That being said, pathogens such as mycobacterium avium complex that the general population doesn't give a poo poo about is dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis which sometimes leaves people in hospital rooms for months on their own while they get diagnosed and treated.

...and that bug is found naturally the environment so you could be eating it, drinking it or breathing it in without any clue.

If we really wanted to stop these emerging diseases such as swine flu, MERS, SARS etc from infecting the human population, we would stop industrial farming livestock and encroaching on the habitat of wild animals.

How do you work in the health field and not think that public health is a public responsibility? Via things like getting their vaccinations, wearing a mask, not going to work sick, not sneezing on people in public etc.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

Yes I get my yearly flu vaccination.
No I wouldn't visit my immunocompromised friend if I had a respiratory illness - just like you shouldn't be turning up to a nursing home with flu symptoms because outbreaks can make a few people sick or kill them.

i mean this sounds an awful lot like you are taking a just a wee bit of responsibility to make sure you don't accidently infect or injure someone else, rather than just going "well she'll be right, they can take care of themselves"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

What the hell.
I never stated for public health to stop doing any of those things. I was referring that people who are immunocompromised have to take extra precautions every day, so are in effect responsible for their own health in a more conscientious way that the general population isn't.

And that keeping the borders shut once the vast majority of the population is vaccinated doesn't make sense. Though covid will still be around, just not as we have known it for the last year and at much lower levels even if we aren't socially distancing anymore.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying in the conversation, but you did say

MythLisp posted:

And yes - people who are immunocompromised are responsible for their own health and welfare when it comes to airborne/droplet viruses and bacteria. Nothing is really going to change for one of my friends with cystic fibrosis who's had a double lung transplant. These people constantly have to be careful with hygiene etc. It's not libertarian thought - it's one based in reality.

in the same conversation where someone someone claimed:

Launchpad McQuack posted:

No it isn't. I am very sorry but it isn't. There is a level of personal responsibility. You can't trust anyone with your health but yourself.

about public health. I know people who have compromised immune systems have to be careful in their lives. I nevers said they don't have to be responsible for their own health and hygeine. Its not easy for them. It would be a lot easier if other people showed a bit of empathy and didn't ignore poo poo like health advice on vaccinations, masks, hand washing, going to work sick etc.

Rather than just screaming "no its all personal responsibility its not my problem if you get sick when I cough on you"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

Old man Gsc forgot who he was going off at last page and now thinks it’s myth.

gently caress you ham beet i'll go off at you in a minute

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i'm bound to hit you eventually if i just throw poo poo everywhere

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

accurate

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
lol auspol

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

See Firestarter, if for no other reason than to be reminded why the ABC exists.

Do you mean the doco about Bangara?

Becauae yes, its a very good documentary and seconding this recommendation.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i feel very attacked by this

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm not an economist and I am covered in ants but the gist as I understand it is surplus labour places upwards pressure on wages somehow. I forget how this works because of the ants. Maybe it's the opposite? The diamondback ant is a fierce biter.

If I remember correctly (not an economist, covered in birds), it puts downwards pressure on wages, because if there is a large pool of unemployed people ready to get a job you are more easily replaceable.

If there were no people seeking jobs, your workplace can't just sack you for asking for asbestos to be removed from the lunchroom as they won't be able to find a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

Gsc was dropped on his head as a baby and landed on a vhs tape of the thing. The tape was never seen again.

except it was a VHS of buster keaton and now I can't stop falling down stairs