Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Australians are short sighted as hell and if we don't get bit we'll keep shoving our hand back in the dog's mouth.

Can we not lump WA in with the rest of the country? We went hard and fast early and its paid off pretty good. Despite the world being upside down, I had a pretty good 2020.

This cost benefit analysis is wrong anyway, doesn't factor in nearly the number of costs to be anywhere near a useful tool for discussing how to deal with outbreaks. Investing in masks now, and using them during flu seasons would have a large net benefit to the economy. Not to mention, the onflow affects from investing in local mask producers. Imagine the jobs that could be created! Dozens, if not tens of dozens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

The Artificial Kid posted:

Sure, but if masks were literally free, I'd say do it. I don't see there's a very onerous non-financial cost to masking, except maybe that if you want to have indoor restaurants open then the whole idea of masking indoors becomes a ludicrous joke.

You know you can make an alright mask from an old bra? And with 51% of the population being women, and pretty much every woman has one or two old bras lying around, with some labour we can all have our own bra masks.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

We'll happily put defibrillators in all workplaces and public spaces for ease of access in the event someone has a heart attack, but everyone getting a mask is too costly.

What even is this thinking. Prevention is always the best course of action.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

You haven’t gone anywhere.

This is my legit strat for avoiding having to download an app or touch a public pen during covid times.

Works for me.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

I'm not sure what 3 days is supposed to do

You can increase the lock down on the third day if you need more time.

With this new strain, especially how it is affecting younger people, I'm really thinking WA needs to reopen quarantine island Rottnest again.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Glorious Leader of Westralia McGowan has warned us all to get masks in case the new strain breaks through our quarantine. Since I've literally not had to buy a mask because the last time COVID was a thing people were saying masks were pointless, where the heck does one buy a mask and what is the best type of mask to buy.

Also, which sort of mask is best for children.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Oh look, 2021, COVID2.0. Similar timelines too. I wonder if we'll properly lock down the schools this time (WA).

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

hambeet posted:

Kids don’t catch it though?

The new strain affects younger people even moreso than the last one, I don't know what the cut off is that the new strain won't infect you but I'm not sure the UK Doctors have said. Too busy zipping people into body bags apparently.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

crepeface posted:

moneybags mark mcgowan has told people in wa to get a mask in case.

does he not understand the burden is too much to bear for the average true blue digger doing it rough if you add up the distributed cost collectively?

Well this Millenial got 2 masks, didn't affect his budget at all. Find out how he did it below!

His Mum got them for him. That's always the answer to these things.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/when-backpackers-went-home-these-australians-tried-farm-work/13047062

ABC interviews some Australians who turned off Netflix and went to farms. My favourite is the 14 year old working 12 hours a day for $14/hr and going "this is fine".

My favourite bit was the person who drank half a water bottle and then realised there was nowhere to get more water and would have to ration the other half a bottle of water over the remainder of their 12 hour shift.

Farmers are hosed eh?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I agree. End capitalism, and start by having everyone involved ride the guillotine.

Won't this just increase demands in guiltotines and the services of blade sharpeners? Not to mention undertakers. It's just capitalism under a different name.

What we need to do is uncouple the political system from the corporations who pay paltry pennies to politicians to steal our water and sell it back to us as Pepsi. The politicians look the other way while the land is ruined. If the real costs of the environmental damage were born by the corporations then the capitalist system might function a little better.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Couple of things I'd love to see as a response to record profits and record stagnant wages:

Increase in the minimum wage.
A cap on executive salaries and benefits, because how much of a better CEO are you getting for another 20 million? Especially when they're driving companies into the dirt and receiving payouts whilst cutting jobs.
Removal of corporate donations to politics, but how the hell do you get that one through?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, UBI then?

I mean, I'm certainly not arguing with you here. I'm 100% behind the idea of a UBI set at a liveable level. I also can never see it happening in this country as long as we have the LNP and the Murdoch press dedicated to causing needless suffering to the majority of the country in the name of profits and ideological purity.

And cruelty.

I feel like the Murdoch Press would die if the government stopped giving them money for doing nothing. It should be a scandal but somehow it isn't.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Australian politics is pretty dull right now. COVID ticking along okay, I'm not sure the tennis counts. The WA election is coming up but that's a foregone conclusion already.

We could discuss CANZUK I suppose? Britain seems keen.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

No news?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/21/australia-day-references-dropped-with-big-bash-cricketers-to-wear-indigenous-strips

RB died of a heart attack in his cell, after calling the guards and complaining of shortness of breath and chest pains on 20 June 2015. The coroner found that the care he received was "adequate" but raised questions about the conduct of the prison officers, saying: "The fact that an officer went to the deceased and then left him to go and get the other officer would seem unnecessary in an age with electronic communication. That they both went to see the deceased without the ‘Oxy Viva Unit’ or a wheelchair seems unnecessary. To then assist the deceased to walk to the officer’s post would seem to be a strange reaction to a person potentially suffering cardiac arrest.”

ISSUES RAISED
Procedures not all followed.

Sport? I guess sport can be news.

Sulla Faex posted:

"it'd be incredibly expensive and absolutely nothing will change as a result" is also not a good argument against against it because that's never stopped us from doing dumb poo poo before. at least this will have a valid moral component of anti-monarchism

"it'd be incredibly expensive and absolutely nothing will change as a result" is not a good argument because everytime the Libs get in they change all the signage and names on every government department. They love changing poo poo for no reason other than looks. Just tack it onto the next referendum and have a staffer type up the change to the constitution, it'll be fine. Whilst we're at it, we can recognise the first people of Australia.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

lmao, Margaret Court is being named a Companion of the Order of Australia in this year's Invasion Day Awards

garbage country

Why? Did they forget the horrid poo poo she said or did they think she deserved it for coping all that flak for being a total dumpster fire of a person?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

hooman posted:

:qq: WHY WON'T YOU TOLERATE MY INTOLERANCE :qq:

https://www.facebook.com/LammoMPP/posts/3620779584623905

Amazing it's been deleted, luckily I have a backup.

EDIT: Apparently he's now also getting hate mail from rich people being like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M A BENIFICIARY" ahahaha eat poo poo.

Very confused about how younger, poorer people are complicit. The only way not to participate in the system is effectively to die or commit a crime and have the system punish you. Check out any of the micronations who "seceded" from Australia.

How are people without the ability to make a change to blame for systems put in place before they existed, that continue to exist. And somehow when we kick up a fuss to change the system, we should shut up because... we benefited?

I know Andrew Laming is an idiot, but why is he allowed to type this poo poo out?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

If Google hits the nuclear button and shuts down Google Search, Youtube. Maps and the Android Playstore, I expect we'll have a successful insurrection in Parliament within 2 hours. It would be under 1 hour, but it will take time for everyone in the country to work out how to find Parliament without googling it.

I would willingly vote out my federal and state members if Google threatened to withdraw their services because the government were being fuckwits. News sites can put robots on their pages and tell google to gently caress off, but they don't because whilst they still lose views to lazy assholes reading headlines and nothing else, they gain enough click throughs to keep them floating. Modern news services need to survive via subscriptions, and I think all the viable ones have realised this and are pushing for it heavily.

The government getting involved at this point and regulating something that should not be an issue is dumb. They have always had the ability to opt out of google, pushing the government to make google pay to use their services is dumb.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Seeing as how Microsoft CEO's aren't threatening to shut down Bing or whatever it doesn't look like the new law will be impacting them as much.

No one uses Bing as a news service, Bing is just happy for the mention in this post to be honest.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

What are they on? Because it's powerful poo poo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

The thing wasn't a documentary.

Speaking of that gremlin, scraped from the arse.

Abbott seeks return to values
Tony Abbott will lead a new movement to defend and revive traditional Australian values, as a report warns of a collapse of living standards.

Can someone outline to me what these people constantly prattling on about Australian values actually are? I studied the history courses and I've listened to them for yonks now and I still can't work out what they are. Unless they value hypocrisy and nepotism. But those aren't Australian values.

Just putting this out there, if a Police officer arrests a politician for a crime, they should receive a bonus. That feels like a traditional Australian value being upheld. The value of all politicians being bastards and gently caress 'em. None of this wash away Abbott breaking the rules bullshit. They should receive twice the fine.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Can Labor just get rid of Joel? Is there some hold he has over them? Just preference someone else over the git. What dumbshits in his local branches are putting him up?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Workchoices 2: Scotty from marketing boogaloo

AKA, spend $200k researching how best to advertise to people how badly you're going to gently caress them over.

Coalition lays groundwork for advertising campaign to spruik workplace relations overhaul

Theft is only bad if its an individual stealing from a business, if a business commits wage theft it is not only legal, but you're not allowed to demand your fair earned compensation back. What. The. gently caress.

If we had a half way competent opposition they would nail the government to the loving wall and not stop until they were flattened.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

normies don’t care though

They cared the last 2 times the libs tried to push this poo poo through, but suddenly radio silence from Labor?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

So how much is a normal amount of money for the government to give to any type of museum? $10 million sounds like a lot to me because I'm assuming a Holocaust museum is going to be small compared to a regular museum, but maybe the Melbourne Museum of Everything or whatever gets $100 million or something.

In any case I totally get the value of these museums, the Holocaust is a pretty terrible stain on humanity's legacy (or something like that, I'm not good with words) and it shouldn't be forgotten.

Anyway not to take away anything from the Palestinian people whose suffering is also a terrible injustice, but reading on I see this paragraph, completely lacking context or connection to the preceding or following ones:

I'm not Jewish but that's a big yikes from me, I'll stop reading there. Maybe they should have tried to connect the wealth of Jewish people to some other point in the article if they didn't want to sound like they were just sharing a Jewish stereotype to demonize their enemy.

So, wait. Do they send it to the state of Israel, or do they send it to relatives in Israel? And were they not taxed on their income or dividends, or are people just upset that they're not taxed for gifting it. I wasn't aware people wanted the government to tax gifts, they seemed quite irate at death taxes.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Well the panic buying was real. Nice and orderly but the lines went out the store and down the road. The covid case went a lot of places though, so hopefully he doesn't have the UK strain and didn't infect a bunch more people. 1 more week school holidays though, so that's... nice.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Periphery posted:

This isn't an issue with the tennis imo, it's a fundamental flaw in the quarantine system that would happen anyway.

They just need to build a dedicated quarantine facility in an paddock a few hours from Melbourne and make all workers who support the facility isolate as well.

McGowan said it was a Federal responsibility to oversee Quarantine, and in the act it specifically calls out a number of locations for use as Quarantine. Christmas Island being one of them.

Why we aren't directing all cases through Christmas Island or the other facilities which are cut off from the mainland population is beyond me. Any breaks in quarantine can be squarely put on the Potato and the PM for neglecting their responsibilities. We don't need to use hotels or caravan parks, we have dedicated facilities already.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Wasn't he against gay marriage, now he's for rape of boys by men.

What the hell does this legally recognised racist stand for? Other than racism of course, but what sort of whacko values does he hold?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

norp posted:

What the hell

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-11/coal-plants-to-shut-by-2025-in-wa-liberals-renewable-energy-plan/13143910

Did someone manage to kill their brainworms? Or is this just a "we aren't gonna win so we will throw bullshit at the wall"?

At the risk of doxxing myself here. I went to school with the current leader of the Liberals, we're the same age. He was a good friend for a long time. This is what you get when you put millennials in positions of power, they're leader isn't an idiot and he can see the writing on the wall. If they want a chance of fighting back against Labor in the future they'll need to adopt climate policies and dump that partisan bullshit that surrounds it. WA is in a unique position to ditch coal and swivel to renewables as well, better than some of the other states. Our Nationals are a different breed too, and a separate party, so easier to deal with any anti renewable sentiment there.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

froglet posted:

On the one hand, I get where this reasoning comes from, on the other, I don't believe them.

I find the Liberals extremely unimaginative for the most part - it seemed like if it wasn't some big ribbon-cutting exercise for Colin Barnett, it wouldn't get done, which is a poo poo way to run a government. And call me cynical, but they also have a history of making promises and welching on them in WA. They went to two state elections promising the Ellenbrook train line and didn't do it on both occasions, and they had literally no excuse because they were rolling in mining boom money at the time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good policy, it's bizarrely progressive and forward-thinking. However, if they won, I believe they'd make excuses or kick the can further down the line until 'oh no we can't do that now', and I reckon they've burnt a lot of goodwill with the WA public and will have a hard time winning/retaining seats.

I was very surprised when I read about it. I thought 'drat, that'd almost get me to vote Liberal' especially when I read McGowans off the cuff response, which wasn't much better than a typical Labor response to a Greens policy. There's only 22 Liberals sitting in WA, with a millennial at the helm it wouldn't surprise me if he steered them in a new direction on it. He was Collin's golden boy for a long time there, and to be made Leader he must have some pull, or they're that desperate which means they're desperate to do what he says. Because what they were doing isn't working. Just looking at that current state of the WA Liberals, it's mostly a bunch of old people who are out of touch and out of ideas. Barnett's modus operandi was to be quiet and do as little as possible, which was a pretty successful move, so the old school Liberals don't even know how to do things anymore.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Just coming out of the WA lockdown transition today, 5 day snap lock down seems like a great idea now. Somehow no one has presented with the virus, the contract tracers got to isolate all the contacts and check them. Tomorrow we're pretty much back to normal except for signing into places.

We desperately need a better solution than hotel quarantine though, proper Federal quarantine facilities in a semi-isolated location. Gosh our government is poo poo.

Not glorious leader Mark though, he's the top poo poo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

WA Covid guy going all over the place probably meant he wasn't feeling crook when he was moving about, so his viral load was low. As soon as he felt under the weather he reported it. The UK variant is more virulent, but not zombie bite, better shoot them virulent.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I almost feel like, based on some of the pages that haven't been hit. Someone at facebook made sure a lot of this hit the Liberals and left the non-supporters free. Just a theory.

If it's true, it's hilarious to me.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

So theoretically, if I were to post a birth, marriage or death announcement. Something that would have in the past been put into the paper, that counts as news and facebook might blank my whole page out?

Cool beans.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Ha, his speechwriter ripped off a popular movie? I wish our PM was more like an inspiring leader from a movie. Almost makes me want to vote for him more. Oh wait, that's not how the Australian electoral system works.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I can see this working if we also somehow stop the boats that regularly bring drugs in over the water. Or the mobile meth labs people put in the sand dunes. Or the weed they grow in the middle of nowheresville. Yup.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'm going be shocked personally. Can you imagine a cabinet member drawn from the ranks of the LNP being a rapist? I cast my eye down the column of names in that spreadsheet from earlier and I just can't picture it.

Look, this may be a controversial statement. And I realise it may paint me as a bad guy, and I am definitely not painting anyone with an accusation of committing this specific rape. But,

I struggle not to imagine any current cabinet member as not a rapist.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

"these were not comments made in a public space". It was in an open-plan office which is how it was leaked.

If we're not counting Parliament as a public space which merits consequence, then I can see how a serial sexual abuser has been getting a pass this whole time. Not to mention certain ministers. There's no trial by media, just their own version of the rule of law.

How the gently caress does AusPol get worse week by week with no consequence.

So it is entirely appropriate for Ministers, in positions of power, to slag off their subordinates to a room full of others?

Awesome. Great job running the country. Someone please please please cut this poo poo into an ad, these numpties aren't fit to rule a margin in a notebook.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What even is an example of left-wing extremism in this country?

Giving women the vote?

Blocking sacred trees getting cut down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Bit late for a religious coup in Australia. Even if completely mobilised they can only carry about as much weight as four or five times what the Greens do. Even then, the 'moral' issues have traditionally been a weak side to the the whole LNP poo poo puddle.

The number of Australians who attend church once or twice a year, state they're Christian on the census and yet are heavily in favour of lgbtqi+ rights, birth control and pro-choice is staggering. I'd lower that number even further.