Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
is constantine catholic witchcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think it's an interesting line, like what separates the demon hunter from the demon

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:haibrower:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
how do we feel about deus ex machina?

I have had a very fortunate string of "tech luck" recently where devices worked painlessly when they absolutely should not have and with minimal fuss and effort. to which deity do i owe my thanks and future offerings

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ready to sage the appropriate ports, cut open an old router and remove its still-functional cpu, etc

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i like the idea of a talisman against demonic machine spirits, thank you. i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I was trying to avoid that tbqh, surely it drew that inspiration from somewhere

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think Thoth will be the deity to whom I offer, though I find Gilgamesh and his tale extremely interesting. Maybe I can dual-fealty

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Orbs posted:

Gilgamesh is very cool and all, and I enjoy connecting the present to the past in this manner. But considering we're talking about a lot of new technologies, maybe making new patron deities is in order? I conceptualize the internet for example as being a web maintained by a giant spider spirit union (I pay my spiritual dues to these neo-wobblies every day~)

There is Anansi, the spider god, an Akan deity, associated with trickery, knowledge, and wisdom. Not necessarily technology, but knowledge is there~ and the internet is all about deceit and trickery

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
one thing i have long wondered is why western theism trended towards such a dominant stamping out of polytheistic practice and osmotic absorption of its most popular pagan rituals. i feel in other parts of the world (and especially in native american culture) co-existence of multiple great spirits/divinity was not only accepted it was/is just thought of as natural and in accordance with our vast and unknowable universal existence as thinking beings who pop into and out of life. the various forms of christianity and western abrahamic beliefs (in the sweeping generalization sense) refused and inquisitioned away any kind of adherence to anything other than God and/or Jesus (maybe catholicism is an exception to this?). an extension perhaps of the concept of jealous godhood, taken to its extreme end in literally destroying and qŭashing worship of any other Gods.

to me i have never cottoned to the idea of a singular supreme divine. there's just too much existence for one godhood to do it all, nuh uh. even a gods gotta kick back and crack an ice cold Cöörs Lïght once in an eon

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Mar 30, 2024

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
so, could it be said that to meet the demands of a larger and larger empire, a streamlining of belief(s) was not only encouraged but required?

it's interesting how the demands of certain kinds of human expansion, beyond its equilibrium, have shaped systems of worship and gods.

a lot of internecine strife might also be prevented. with a singular recognized state belief informally or formally it tends to smooth internal pressures that might otherwise be too great for a human empire to deal with

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Mar 31, 2024

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
agrarianism was a mistake

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sure Ishtar would appreciate the offering

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/sheis___mywife/status/1786316013208064041

prayer and sacrifice works

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

there are five distinct types of Boat, of which ships are one. i will exclusively use fictional spacecraft to illustrate

there are Ferries, which serve to toot a character around from adventure to adventure. video game spaceships are this a lot of the time: you dont care that much about the blue falcon or the pleasingly bulbous thing samus aran flies around, but you know they exist because they let the game happen. i guess the tardis is this a lot of the time. rowboats and shuttles. the scale of quiet reflection or a personal conversation

there are Fighter Planes, which are fighter planes. starfuries, colonial vipers, arwings, etc. common af because most space opera was created in the 20th century

there are Houses, which are also trucks and yachts. it can carry a small ensemble of heroes around, and you want the interior to feel like a space that would be livable. the millennium falcon; but sizable things like the liberator or moya often are, functionally, large houses

there are Ships, which have full communities aboard. they function like something on the scale between a small town and a comic book city, and have multiple distinct interior spaces that you use in distinct narrative circumstances. the enterprise.

there are Worlds, which are anything big enough that you will never, ever really know what the whole interior is like, and which have like an entire society on them. usually a place you go to—if it goes to somewhere, well, big day for that somewhere. technically-mobile space stations, peacekeeper command carrier, gsv

treeships like the Yggdrasil in hyperion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
praying for a free palestine 🇵🇸