Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Plot twist: The twitch streamer's game is a 100% complete replica of Lawbreakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

:chord: if u think itz so EZ do it urself

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah well known deliverer of even B-tier video games, CliffyB, who tanked his company into the ground after only launching failures because he spent all of his time on Twitter harassing women. He then laid all of his employees off via a Tweet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cliffyb didnt even pay severance when boss key shut down, cant even play by the rules of his own imaginary reality show

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Star Wars Battlefront 2 desktop icon:
Starts Origin launcher, which then starts the Epic games launcher, which then tells the Origin launcher to launch the game itself

I love video games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I said come in! posted:

Yeah well known deliverer of even B-tier video games, CliffyB, who tanked his company into the ground after only launching failures because he spent all of his time on Twitter harassing women. He then laid all of his employees off via a Tweet.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay I finished DQ Monsters Joker. I'm kind of baffled at how short it is - I ended at 18 hours flat and I'll be honest, like five of those hours were me looking up info while grinding in the background. The game is really really hard unless you know exactly what you're doing, in which case the game becomes fairly easy, depending on how much work you're willing to put in. I think if the game had told me some very very important info like "fusing two monsters together has the new resulting monster inherit half the base stats of the parents" I would have had even less trouble. Basically as soon as the guide told me "hey recruit two Beetleboys they're completely busted" I just clowned the rest of the game, with my only Achilles heel being my healer being too weak because I didn't want to spend more time grinding so if the enemy singled him out I would lose.

I kind of want to keep playing and do the postgame stuff, because the game proper ends with enemies being around B-rank and you don't even get to see all the really cool A/S/X rank monsters

e: I do think the game has some REALLY hosed things about it though that would stop me from recommending it to others. The game only has like five save points so if you die you'll have to do a LOT of running back to get to where you were. I played on emulator and didn't use savestates but I think if I didn't have a turbo button I would've quit probably. There's also no fast travel outside of using Zoom which takes you to your last save point, so that's even more pointless walking. If you want to get to the final island, you have to spend like what would normally be five minutes walking across a totally different island so you can take a jetski to a DIFFERENT island, where you then swap over onto another jetski. Definitely feels like padding in a game this short when I think about how much of my time was just spend walking

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 31, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Tales of Vesperia. Thinking about Tales of Berseria but not sure. Otherwise I am for sure going to get Tales of Arise, but that game is still a long ways off.

Games I completed for January:
Trials of Mana
Resonance of Fate
Darksiders Genesis
Tales of Vesperia

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i like this sequence in metroid II where you kill a metroid and there's an earthquake which the whole game has meant the lava level has lowered and you can go to a new area, but then you go down and the lava level has risen?! then you loop back around to the big room and there's an omega metroid!!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Finished Tales of Vesperia. Thinking about Tales of Berseria but not sure. Otherwise I am for sure going to get Tales of Arise, but that game is still a long ways off.

Games I completed for January:
Trials of Mana
Resonance of Fate
Darksiders Genesis
Tales of Vesperia

You definitely should get Berseria as it is either the best or second best game in the series.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What, right now, is the best online shooter where you can both shoot accurately and run at full speed, all the time and without much ADSing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

resistentialism posted:

What, right now, is the best online shooter where you can both shoot accurately and run at full speed, all the time and without much ADSing?

Quake 3 Arena decades later is still the best one in this genre.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I looked up the plot of Funny Games on Wikipedia and that sounds like absolute garbage

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1355906705918455808

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what kind of crackerjack outfit stocks the dog shampoo next to the people shampoo, and not on the end of the dog food aisle with the toys & flea medicines

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

I have my own personal biases since I had to read undergraduate writing for five years, but fourth-wall breaks are on their own the lamest most eye-rolling thing in existence, the coward's way out of attempting to emotionally invest the reader in the fiction that you have created. Which, despite thousands of years of human storytelling, is really loving hard to do well.

Counterpoint: Pathologic owns

exquisite tea posted:

SpecOps has some fourth-wall breaking stuff like the loading screen tips directly addressing the player that I think kind of undermine what they were going for.

I think it depends on how straightforward you think they're being with them, like when the one asks you how many Americans you've killed today. The answer is either zero or a hundred depending on how you're thinking about it. I still think the first Hotline Miami is a really good foil to Spec Ops. "You mean you haven't enjoyed it?"

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hwurmp posted:

what kind of crackerjack outfit stocks the dog shampoo next to the people shampoo, and not on the end of the dog food aisle with the toys & flea medicines

The tweeting idiot did probably not buy it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rarity posted:

I looked up the plot of Funny Games on Wikipedia and that sounds like absolute garbage

It's garbage.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

same folks who put the horse shampoo with the people shampoo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm at that awkward moment that I hope others can relate to when I don't know whether to pay £18 for Iceborne or just to hold out to Monster Hunter Rise :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnathan there's a picture of a dog on the bottle

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

That's telekinesis, Kyle.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just watched a guy get the WR for Bioshock: Infinite and this is still one of the dumbest endings to a video game we've had

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

see you next mission (i took a photo of my 3DS because they removed the screenshot function when miiverse died RIP) Samus does not seem impressed

It was fun though, it might be fun to revisit Samus Returns now that I've actually seen the original (I guess there's also that AM2R thing)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just watched a guy get the WR for Bioshock: Infinite and this is still one of the dumbest endings to a video game we've had

I will always lol that the devs of Bioshock Infinite didn't understand what infinite means

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I will always lol that the devs of Bioshock Infinite didn't understand what infinite means

are you talking about how they have to kill DeWitt because if you think about a multiverse for a minute it means that killing him only introduces a new fork and there's still infinite Good Guy DeWitts and Bad Guy Comstocks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

see you next mission (i took a photo of my 3DS because they removed the screenshot function when miiverse died RIP) Samus does not seem impressed

It was fun though, it might be fun to revisit Samus Returns now that I've actually seen the original (I guess there's also that AM2R thing)

am2r is amazing

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wondering if anyone can help me recall a game I once played: A pair of tower defence games where you had to defend parts of your core from being taken away by some kind of bug/robotic (can't remember which) aliens, so the enemy didn't just have to smash your core, but also bring it back to their starting point, allowing you to get them coming and going. You also had an advisor with a British accent, who got a lot of backstory in the second game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'd probably be interesting to play AM2R and Samus Returns together

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Wondering if anyone can help me recall a game I once played: A pair of tower defence games where you had to defend parts of your core from being taken away by some kind of bug/robotic (can't remember which) aliens, so the enemy didn't just have to smash your core, but also bring it back to their starting point, allowing you to get them coming and going. You also had an advisor with a British accent, who got a lot of backstory in the second game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
i cant remember if theres a british robot in it or not, but defense grid?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless snail posted:

i cant remember if theres a british robot in it or not, but defense grid?

That's the one! Thanks! I'd played it at my cousin's a long,. long time ago, and I was in the mood for some nostalgia TD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's been a decent amount of activity recently with AM2R, as long as you have the 1.1 version there's a launcher for that can automatically update it to a WIP community version that supposedly is going to replace all re-used assets with new ones among other things.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Realistically it shouldn't be worse for your hair than regular shampoo. The chemicals in animal soaps are typically less harsh than in ones meant for people since animals typically have much more sensitive skin.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Stux posted:

am2r is amazing

AM2R is the best 2D Metroid game ever made. It combines the best features from Fusion and Zero Mission, which are the best official 2D Metroid games. Super Metroid was trailblazing, but not actually that good of a game. It's fun to see speedruns of it because how wild and messed up the physics and the controls are, but actually playing it isn't a great experience. It's awkward and weird. Samus Returns was like, haha okay at least you tried, Nintendo. This is my position on 2D Metroid games, thank you for listening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably says more about me than the game, but I'm pretty bored playing Policenauts.

Help Im Alive posted:

(i took a photo of my 3DS because they removed the screenshot function when miiverse died RIP)

WTH?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm at that awkward moment that I hope others can relate to when I don't know whether to pay £18 for Iceborne or just to hold out to Monster Hunter Rise :(

play iceborne!! it's really good!!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Probably says more about me than the game, but I'm pretty bored playing Policenauts.

WTH?

If you hacked your 3DS you can have screenshots back.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

important update: after looking at a chart for how to get certain lategame monsters I will not be doing postgame in DQ Monsters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's not really much to say about Mario Kart Wii cause it's frigging Mario Kart but I'm having a blast with it. I basically have a smile on my face the whole time (except when I get chain stunned by two red shells and a POW block :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rarity posted:

There's not really much to say about Mario Kart Wii cause it's frigging Mario Kart but I'm having a blast with it. I basically have a smile on my face the whole time (except when I get chain stunned by two red shells and a POW block :argh:)

Basically every clip I see of vtubers playing any of the newer mario kart games its always them being in first and then getting chainstunned into last which seems like something that happens a LOT