Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What game is the bernie sanders meme happening in? It looks resident evilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I believe that's Resident Evil 7

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is. The mod replaces Jack Baker

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[joker voice] im jack baker baby

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nate RFB posted:

There's been a decent amount of activity recently with AM2R, as long as you have the 1.1 version there's a launcher for that can automatically update it to a WIP community version that supposedly is going to replace all re-used assets with new ones among other things.

drat, I need to see if I can find my copy.

redreader posted:

What game is the bernie sanders meme happening in? It looks resident evilly.

Looks like a model replacement for Jack in RE 7

e:f,b

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Basically every clip I see of vtubers playing any of the newer mario kart games its always them being in first and then getting chainstunned into last which seems like something that happens a LOT

Nobody makes clips of the 95% of the game where they easily win.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Finished Chrono Trigger for the first time, how nice that it ended with Goku and Chichi getting married

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baller Time posted:

Finished Chrono Trigger for the first time, how nice that it ended with Goku and Chichi getting married

There are 16 different endings too!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

somebody needs to come get this king. he is out of control

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

somebody needs to come get this king. he is out of control

That kind of thing came up on a Japanese blog recently, The fact that that’s a thing that older Japanese men say as a joke when they’re introduced to someone’s daughter and they need to loving stop. It’s only funny to them and no one else in the whole world.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Interesting how different that appears without the cultural context. I figured it was supposed to be one of those situations where a little girls develops a (completely innocent) crush on an older man and he gently lets her down with an "well, maybe I'll marry you when you're grown up" in the expectation that she'll of course have grown out of it by then.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That kid needs to get her priorities in order. Not like that kid who wants to be a blitzball. He has his ducks in a row.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a thing older American men used to say, and in the case of a president made good on.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/669500/Himeko_Sutori/

I can't tell if I wanna try this or not

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a particular reason why/why not?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whoever does the Feb op, please include

"They were trying to kill it" except it will be about Bowsette and not Godzilla

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there a particular reason why/why not?

I always weight my interest in games vs cost. There's tons of indie steam games I try out and say "this is neat but I'm not gonna stick with it past the first few hours" and I've got enough of a backlog that I dont reeeeally need to be following every single video game whim I have

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gently caress, I missed a chance to advance to the next Duolingo league because I forgot what day the advances happen! I'm still in loser rear end Emerald.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
post your backlog

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this is a general challenge to anyone foolish enough to keep a list

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Remember like four months ago when I got talked into playing through Danganronpa 1+2 so I could better appreciate the twist at the beginning and end of 3?

Still have not started 3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watching more of the medium... man it sucks

tw child abuse/molestation, the holocaust

the game seems to want to spend more time trying to make the player sympathize with a pedophile rather than empathize with his victim. after seeing a vision in which the pedophile (Richard) is on his knees saying "what have I done" after implied child molestation, you switch protags to a guy named thomas who has a sassy doppleganger named SPIRIT THOMAS, who confronts the pedophile and enters his specific spirit realm or whatever. as he explores and does bad quips, you get a whole hour long story (mostly told through voice echoes and items you pick up) about Richard as a child, whose father died in the war, and then he fell in love with a Jewish girl named Rose (the game shows you a half-obscured star of david at first, and then just a full star of david later as if to go DO YOU GET IT???). Richard blames himself for not being able to protect his dad for... some reason. Then his new stepfather is abusive and beats his mother, so he blames himself some more. Then the secret police find Rose and kill her because it turns out Richard's stepfather was a nazi collaborator who was later hanged. as if it's not being laid on thick enough, you find a patch of roses that WILTS as Richard's echo shouts "rose no! please don't be dead!"

Sassy Spirit Thomas finally finds Child Richard in the spirit realm and... kills him? It's not clear but I want to go back to the spirit realm for a second. at the beginning of the game it's implied Marianne is a spiritual ferryman who shepards ghosts on, like her father figure mentor. These ghosts have masks covering their face and are caught in a routine as ghosts are. There's also an enemy called The Maw (maybe it's Thomas?) who like, rips the souls out of people and possesses them?? There are people just trapped in the spirit realm or even long dead. So are they ghosts or something else? IDK. All I know is, having Child Richard be in the spirit realm and not Adult Richard makes the implication that real world Richard is emotionally/mentally a child, OR that what he did could be explained away with THE MAW DID IT, which... no chief. (And also none of the visions of Richard in the game up to that point showed him being anything other than a creepy old man)

Anyway, after that we suddenly cut back to Marianne who is trapped in a wheelchair as tentacles drape all over her and slide around her legs like the cover of an anime VHS tape you'd see at a blockbuser in the 90s. A giant blob monster named CHILDEATER simultaneously taunts Marianne and also begs to be killed. Childeater is the lingering remnants of adult Richard and says he desrves to not exist. Marianne is like "uh sure OK" and sends him on his way, and he asks one last time for forgiveness. Then Marianne finds a photo of the victim and it's her!! dun dun dun!!!!

this is still not remotely the end of the game. but it doesn't seem to me like Bloober Team is even trying to say anything with this game, which makes their use of trauma and holocaust horror even less appropriate. it's like how AAA games are all "we're not political!" but to do that with this kind of subject matter makes no sense

anyway after that part you are in a forest that looks a lot like the Blair Witch game's forest, and then you can see a blair witch stick thing in the trees, and then the dog from the Blair Witch game finds you and you follow it for a while. is the Blair Witch in the same universe??? or, the more likely explanation, bloober team wanted to reuse assets and they tried to spin it off as "look, a cheeky easter egg!"

e: also Troy Baker voices the monster and does the weirdest dumbest voice he's ever done

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 1, 2021

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looper posted:

this is a general challenge to anyone foolish enough to keep a list

i dont have a list I just carry a vague sense of guilt with me everywhere

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

New Super Metis posted:

i dont have a list I just carry a vague sense of guilt with me everywhere

was literally thinking this as I tried Cyber-Shadow just now (seems fun), 'cos I haven't played any of shovel knight beyond the first campaign

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I quit the Medium when I got to the stealth from a monster puzzle maze and super glad I did. Lol at that the twist at the end of your post because that is 100% what I expected

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Remember like four months ago when I got talked into playing through Danganronpa 1+2 so I could better appreciate the twist at the beginning and end of 3?

Still have not started 3

hey you'll probably get to it before rarity at least!

I'm not one to talk, the sonic saga has been inadvertantly put on hold for mega man. currently in the middle of command mission, zero 1, and legends 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Legends 1 is a fantastic game with stiff and archaic controls that I will still go to bat for except you know, the voice actor so have fun with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

I quit the Medium when I got to the stealth from a monster puzzle maze and super glad I did. Lol at that the twist at the end of your post because that is 100% what I expected
I should also mention this is the dullest looking AAA horror game ever and the fact that people are comparing it to Silent Hill is an insult

Bloober never really escaped their walking sim roots and it doesn't help that they made the game so linear and unexplorable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Should have gotten the Large instead. They're all a dollar at McDonald's and you get more Coke.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As someone who plays almost exclusively Japanese video games, I think that Japanese games can be stupid and bad, but are usually dumb and bad in a totally different way than Western games are and Medium sounds like the exact sort of weird dumb badness that JRPGs rarely are

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Legends 1 is a fantastic game with stiff and archaic controls that I will still go to bat for except you know, the voice actor so have fun with it.

I've played both before and love them! i went into it a bit while you were playing them but 2 is better in just about every way imo, even the water dungeon. the movement, the music, the aesthetic, the characters, the setting, the mood, i love them to pieces! misadventures of tron bonne is the one i haven't played before and I'm looking forward to checking it out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Interesting how different that appears without the cultural context. I figured it was supposed to be one of those situations where a little girls develops a (completely innocent) crush on an older man and he gently lets her down with an "well, maybe I'll marry you when you're grown up" in the expectation that she'll of course have grown out of it by then.

everyone in the castle is telling me about how the king hits on every woman he sees. in that very room there is another lady fuming about the king hitting on the high priestess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like that it's unfair to rank the characters since some of them play roles of narrative importance which may not make them "likeable" but I guess that's the thing!

1. Yuki Takamiya - Number one with a Leg Spike, easy. In gameplay mode she was my favorite character: flight unit mobility, stack the Brawling perk and the back attack perk to do tens of thousands of armor-piercing damage and pop the giant kaiju like balloons, yes please. In the story, dug the detective story framing, best walk animation and the special gangster squat, plus best relationship with Natsuno. The scene that went "and so I started blastin' "
:blaster: was a fistpump moment

2. Natsuno Minami - The other half of best relationship. Real fun buddy cop dynamic with BJ and also doing the most time traipsing. Laughed with the discussion of E.X.T. and her serious Research Notebook, and especially when this literally happened: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/anime-girl-hiding-from-a-terminator Gen 3 Sentinels were real fun to play with and even though Missile Rain was not her exclusive it felt like it fit her character lol.

3. Takatoshi Hijiyama - Massive himbo energy and "Yakisoba pan angel" is clearly enough to carry one into the top 3. Setting up chain strikes with him, Keitaro, and Natsuno always felt satisfying

4. Iori Fuyusaka - Food-based storylines are going to rank high. Also she gets the iconic line of the game

5. Keitaro Miura - Sincere, upstanding, wants to protect his sister, and also hemborger. Gen 3 Mega Railgun yes

6. Tomi Kisaragi - The scene where she is "marking out" about seeing all the stuff from 40 years ago was fun (and also reminded me that I am a dying husk). lol that she went viral. This is also a placeholder for Best AI Girl Miwako Sawatari, the second best relationship goes to their trio. Honestly got a lower rank because gameplay-wise she gets the dual railgun upgrade but not the Mega Railgun? This made her power ceiling much lower

7. Nenji Ogata - Condensed Demolisher Blade owns bones. His Source Code/Groundhog Day plotline was fun, the end scene where he breaks down because of the rival thugs was :unsmith:

8. Ei Sekigahara - EMP Surround was cutting a swath through the big hordes at the last half of Chapter 3. Sweet bike, but point of order... everyone else in Project Ark was already part of the colonization/science project, dude was a hitman from the outside, how did he end up as one of the DNA samples

9. Megumi Yakushiji - Maybe the actual yakisoba pan angel and hemborger helper should rank higher... a fool for love and seemed pretty credulous throughout, but I get it. I enjoy the "ludonarrative consonance" that in combat I basically just used her for her indirect attack ability with the Interceptors and that she procced Tomi's damage boost. Gen 4 started to shine more lategame because their 0 EP attacks were armor-piercing, too

10. Renya Gouto - The low end for two characters I found really useful in gameplay and serve crucial narrative purposes but weren't "fun." In this case he was Exposition Man. I did kinda like his "reversal of fortune" deductive argument style. His and Megumi's advanced interceptors were super useful for like half the game, but I had to drop them for the last battle because that wasn't enough

11. Ryoko Shinonome - Again, super useful in gameplay (double turrets yes!) The psychological plotline was interesting here... creepy downer of an ending was warranted I suppose

12. Shu Amiguchi - Eh. Jack of all trades in combat when that wasn't really that helpful. Cool stuff in his story but grating personality overall. Every time he said "Yuki-chan" it reminded me of Majima though

13. Juro Kurabe - The face of the game and yet... interesting stuff happens to him but otherwise pretty forgettable? This is what I mean, him being kinda passive is entirely a plot point. In combat he was another all-rounder but worse because of Gen 2 mobility problems, at least Shu can "get in there"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ei Sekigahara

He was in the pocket of the Ogatas, who were basically running the entire project, so it makes sense he would be in

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Now that’s a kid list

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I’ll post my backlog once February turns over for my monthly wugglesquest reminder

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh right i should go back and look at people's 13 Sentinels posts, they should be easy to spot

Edit: the hell this thread is 182 pages

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are you talking about how they have to kill DeWitt because if you think about a multiverse for a minute it means that killing him only introduces a new fork and there's still infinite Good Guy DeWitts and Bad Guy Comstocks

That and with how they set it up its both impossible and meaningless to kill all the ones that call themselves "Comstock" regardless lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 1, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I loved the DLC which was "you failed, it was all pointless, let me babble more, kill yourself again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy crap the storming of the Capitol was just a few weeks ago...