Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Honourary mention for the Pet Shop Boys as well I feel. They took some misteps but are generally right on.

1789 - The French Revolution begins and about drat time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I imagine most people here are fully aware that DM are Correct as hell, but it's still good to see

Sanitary Naptime posted:

In case anyone still hadn't figured out it was a bit, I am now owning up to the bit

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1355644736682516481?s=20

Loving this new Adam Curtis

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Loving this new Adam Curtis

You’ll enjoy another project I’m working on then :v:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You’ll enjoy another project I’m working on then :v:

:ohdear:
:ohdearsass:

Can't believe it's been a year since Brexit happened. Great craic all round, let's make Year 2 even better

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1355831061532573698?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Access the file on Depeche Mode in my head. A thing paper folder with two A4 sheets is taken out.)

Page 1.
Songs by Depeche Mode.

I need you tonight.
New Sensation.
Fade to Grey.

(Underneath it in red pen is written.)
These songs have been misfiled and belong with different artists.
Also move song "Just Can't Get Enough" yo this folder from "The Communards" folder.

Page 2:

"Depeche" was a cheat code in the Amiga game Alien Breed '92. It was named after the band.

END OF FILE.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So do you have Personal Jesus under Johnny Cash or Marilyn Manson?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

So do you have Personal Jesus under Johnny Cash or Marilyn Manson?

Johnny Cash. Because I bought that four CD last album he did with an entire CD dedicated to covers he did. The CD was called The American Songbook, the Album was American and released in 2002.

That's depressingly long ago.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 31, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Violator and Exciter are both all time great albums.

Also, the Underworld ambient remix of Barrel Of A Gun would be good to do heroin to (I assume)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I mean let's face it, if you are gonna do heroin its gonna be while Born Slippy is on

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean let's face it, if you are gonna do heroin its gonna be while Born Slippy is on

If I did smack I'd be listening to the Velvet Underground.

Also the last Depeche Mode record slapped

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That pairs better with a couple of yips* in my experience.

(* Not sure what pressed pills of variable quality MDMA are called in your locality. I imagine it varies as much as the name for ladybugs. Maybe it's related?)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm now thinking what a hypothetical Underworld ambient remix of Wave Motion Gun would sound like.

The Question IRL posted:

Johnny Cash. Because I bought that four CD last album he did with an entire CD dedicated to covers he did.
Fair, I've got that album somewhere, probably in a box in the gas cupboard because I've listened to like one physical CD in the past few years.

The Question IRL posted:

:hai:

Failed Imagineer posted:

(* Not sure what pressed pills of variable quality MDMA are called in your locality. I imagine it varies as much as the name for ladybugs. Maybe it's related?)
The Bishop That Gurneth.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think itd just be ectos or eccies up in Scotland, I've only tried MDMA once and Mandy was the preferred nomenclature

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The Bishop That Gurneth.

:hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Johnny Cash. Because I bought that four CD last album he did with an entire CD dedicated to covers he did. The CD was called The American Songbook, the Album was American and released in 2002.

He actually did 6 albums of (mostly) covers in the American Recordings series, Personal Jesus was on American IV with Hurt.

The whole story of those albums is amazing, basically Rick Rubin got so sick of how mainstream hiphop had become that he held a funeral for the word "def". He found out Cash had been dropped from his contracts after a massive addiction relapse - he put Cash through rehab and basically said "Here's a guitar, here's a mic, here's a list of songs, pick the ones you like and record them". Most of the songs are pretty much one take with only a tiny amount of accompaniment added later, and every single one of them was a Johnny Cash song no matter who originally wrote it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He actually did 6 albums of (mostly) covers in the American Recordings series, Personal Jesus was on American IV with Hurt.

The whole story of those albums is amazing, basically Rick Rubin got so sick of how mainstream hiphop had become that he held a funeral for the word "def". He found out Cash had been dropped from his contracts after a massive addiction relapse - he put Cash through rehab and basically said "Here's a guitar, here's a mic, here's a list of songs, pick the ones you like and record them". Most of the songs are pretty much one take with only a tiny amount of accompaniment added later, and every single one of them was a Johnny Cash song no matter who originally wrote it.

Dang, that is a really cool story!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1355843099700957190?s=19

Yikes

E: didn't notice that Jose posted it earlier. Still, yikes

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 31, 2021

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: whoosh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 1, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol do it, completely destroy the legitimacy of these institutions for anyone who pays attention to this kind of thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The morale boosting visit of Boris Johnson everybody

https://twitter.com/AlanBrownSNP/status/1355841938549846018?s=20

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Cyril Sneeer posted:

mod edit: there used to be a quote here

Please get immediate help if you continue to feel suicidal; this isn't normal or healthy behaviour

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 1, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

If you arrange to meet someone in a car park they should at least have the opportunity to kick your teeth in

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ash Crimson posted:

Please get immediate help if you continue to feel suicidal; this isn't normal or healthy behaviour

Not healthy but, I think, becoming more and more regular

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Boris did this before, or was it May.
I remember some company peons were told to wait and not do anything for hours, and then Boris or May came along, talked to the company head for a few minutes, then hosed off.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you arrange to meet someone in a car park they should at least have the opportunity to kick your teeth in
Or a little spidge of dogging

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Now, bring us a spidge of dogging,
Now, bring us a spidge of dogging,
Now, bring us a spidge of dogging, and bring it out here!

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
In case it wasn't obvious, here we have the rationale behind Sir Kier's brilliant tactics:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/31/the-bad-taste-question-about-covid-that-everyone-at-westminster-is-asking posted:

One Labour frontbencher tells me: “In our focus groups, the more we attack the government, the more people don’t like it.” The accusation that the government has been too slow to take measures to control the virus resonates with the public because they largely agree. “Anywhere else you attack them, you have people saying, ‘That’s not fair.’”

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Rumda posted:

Not healthy but, I think, becoming more and more regular

I'm just saying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because it isn't, because they can't, won't, and haven't put up any alternative, they have spent every moment saying they support the government except that they want the schools open so people can get sicker. They can't make criticism because the tories are doing exactly what they would do and they keep saying it.

They dug the hole and now can't do anything but keep digging it. What an utterly useless sack of poo poo starmer is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 31, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

In case it wasn't obvious, here we have the rationale behind Sir Kier's brilliant tactics:

There is going to be a certain schadenfreude in watching Johnson coming out of the crisis smelling of roses because after a year of collossal fuckups he got one thing right whilst Keith drowns ineptly still trying to tune the dial to exactly the right frequency of spineless reactionary appeasement to break through to middle england

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would feel a lot better if the prick could actually be made to suffer for it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

sounds like prime time for a government of national unity

Mebh
May 10, 2010

With how poo poo Keith is and how universally slammed he's starting to get, is there any hope we can claw back the party from the poo poo pile of centrist wankery we're stuck in?

Or do we have to get absolutely crushed at another general election to even have a snowball in hells chance?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Keith's plan is to "win back" Tory voters, consider what kind of voters went into those focus groups & it doesn't take a brain genius to work out why they all support the Tory government

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It really is like they think they're running in the US election in 2016...

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Mebh posted:

With how poo poo Keith is and how universally slammed he's starting to get, is there any hope we can claw back the party from the poo poo pile of centrist wankery we're stuck in?

Or do we have to get absolutely crushed at another general election to even have a snowball in hells chance?

since the right has taken control of the party it has been working very hard to make sure the left never has a chance again, pretty sure they're currently working on being able to veto any candidate.

labour losing a general election will be pinned on the damage to the parties reputation by corbyn, probably for the next 20 or so years.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Mebh posted:

The Labour left need to regenerate around a post-Corbyn idea which has the same appeals without the bitterness of its end, maintain that concept through all the internal lower organ elections and policy votes winning on the idea, then agree a PM candidate which represents that idea best, then convince enough MPs that the candidate/ideology is better than Starmer, then convince the membership of that as well. It's an incredibly long term project.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ewan posted:

sounds like prime time for a government of national unity

The thing with all the melts calling for Labour to agree to a government of national unity is why would the Tories even want that? They have an 80 seat majority and no opposition to speak of anyway, if anything a unity government would weaken their position because they'd presumably have to put a couple Labour figures into token cabinet positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i got a lower organ for the labour right!!!! *flatulates loudly*