Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I went to a boys' school next door to a girls' school, got put in hospital a couple of times from "falling down", that didn't happen to the girls but honestly I prefer the honesty of it to what they'd talk about.

Really it's apples & oranges though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

This is a truly excellent joke.

In other news, looks like prominent leftist youtuber, runner of Philosophy Tube has come out as trans, and is premiering a video about it in like 25 mins on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITRzvm0Xtg

Likely to be good on trans issues generally.

Well I guess I've gone from fancing him to fancing her.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My tiny new sofa arrived this afternoon and I have absolutely no idea how to interpret the picture-only instructions for putting the back legs on. (The front legs are different and were easy).
I've slept for 2 hours, gone to the shops, eaten myself silly, watched a 1.5 hour Obese to Beast episode on youtube, anything to avoid having to try again. But now I shall have to.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My tiny new sofa arrived this afternoon and I have absolutely no idea how to interpret the picture-only instructions for putting the back legs on. (The front legs are different and were easy).
I've slept for 2 hours, gone to the shops, eaten myself silly, watched a 1.5 hour Obese to Beast episode on youtube, anything to avoid having to try again. But now I shall have to.

Check online for instructional videos. It’s what I use when I get stuck on things. (Very rarely, of course...)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pro move: don't bother and just sit at an angle.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

“It’s meant to be like this. It’s a recliner!”

Or prop it up on some books.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

Check online for instructional videos. It’s what I use when I get stuck on things. (Very rarely, of course...)

None, I checked :qq:

Probably serves me right for buying a sofa model "boujie"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Post some photos of the instructions and the offending components. Let's crowd source this.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tarnop posted:

Post some photos of the instructions and the offending components. Let's crowd source this.

I think I've got it now thanks. Got one leg in position (but not tightened).
Mind you I might post one of the instruction images later - it is 'interesting' and I have zero idea what it is trying to convey! (It's not to do with the putting together I don't think!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at the thing I assume it must either screw in or have a removable underside that allows you access to the other side of a mounting block or something on the inside of the seat.

Also why does it only have wheels on the front?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Looking at the thing I assume it must either screw in or have a removable underside that allows you access to the other side of a mounting block or something on the inside of the seat.

Yes. However, the instructions show considerably more holes and placed differently than in the actual thing. It also came with more bolts etc than appear to be necessary so that had me foxed for a while too!
Re the wheels, I suppose that's for stability to have two stationary legs. It is light so only really would need 2 wheels to manoeuvre it.

It's this one: 'loveseat' it will fit nicely under my living room window. (My flat is tiny, no room for a proper-sized sofa). I bought the last one in stock.

https://www.made.com/bouji-love-seat-seafoam-blue-velvet

I got offered a small contract yesterday which will pay £500 for 40 hours work on a specific project. Not much and under half my usual hourly rate, but it might lead to more stuff. (It's with the charity I've been doing loads of voluntary website work with. But this project needs dedicated time and liaison with several other people.) so I might buy the matching chair as my main chair is gradually disintegrating and one day is going to collapse under me!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Bouji eh...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Overminty posted:

Bouji eh...

Yes. Bouji me :guillotine:

or, boogie me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wDFCM7iSI

Right - once more unto the sofa, friends. Try and finish it before Taggart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

"Bouji Love Seat, Seafoam"

The answer is obviously depravity.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

"Bouji Love Seat, Seafoam"

The answer is obviously depravity.

Definitely, the screws wouldn't fit in the holes so I had to lubricate them a bit. Now my thighs ache from crouching over the screwing.
They're in but not tightened as I try to interpret 'diagram 3'.

Ed: nearly 11pm: Tiz now done. Who'd have thought putting two legs on would take 3 hours?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2021

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I always feel like I went to a bizarro world secondary school because everyone at my school was pretty nice and chill.

There were some attempts by older kids to bully me when I was younger but they fizzled out pretty quick and were so half-assed it wasn't until years after the fact that I realised that's what they were trying to do.

It makes me think that there isn't much difference between teens and adults in their capacity for bullying, either way it only takes one real rear end in a top hat to poison a culture. I think its something about schools as an institution that magnifies the problem.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Random Integer posted:

I always feel like I went to a bizarro world secondary school because everyone at my school was pretty nice and chill.

There were some attempts by older kids to bully me when I was younger but they fizzled out pretty quick and were so half-assed it wasn't until years after the fact that I realised that's what they were trying to do.

It makes me think that there isn't much difference between teens and adults in their capacity for bullying, either way it only takes one real rear end in a top hat to poison a culture. I think its something about schools as an institution that magnifies the problem.

From what I've read from teachers, senior management in schools still think they're in the playground and are horrendous bullies. My experience and others in the NHS wasn't dissimilar. There was a bit of it in the railway but nothing like as bad (not that I ever witnessed anyway).
I think adults have a hard time recognizing and understanding that they are being bullied let alone doing anything about it.
I have made a commitment to myself that if I ever end up in those kind of jobs again and see someone being bullied I will stand up for them. I know a lot of people are scared to but at my age and with no mortgage, I'm not so vulnerable to the threat of retribution.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Random Integer posted:

it only takes one real rear end in a top hat to poison a culture.
I think half the thing that fucks you up about bullying is that most of the kids doing it grow up perfectly nice, well-adjusted people. So you grow up all hosed up seeing the kids that did that to you turning out absolutely fine.

Like you say, it's just a few real arseholes instigating the whole thing. Everyone else just sort of goes along with it.

Probably a lesson about human nature there.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

From what I've read from teachers, senior management in schools still think they're in the playground and are horrendous bullies.of retribution.
The head teacher that expelled me (on spurious grounds, for the record) got sacked a few years after for bullying, I saw him in the job centre once & had a hearty lol since I was gainfully employed at the time

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Borrovan posted:

I think half the thing that fucks you up about bullying is that most of the kids doing it grow up perfectly nice, well-adjusted people. So you grow up all hosed up seeing the kids that did that to you turning out absolutely fine.

They grow into socially accepted people.

If you visibly show weakness everywhere you go, you learn right quick they're not actually any nicer.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kind of interesting that the "Britain First" people existed before the "America First" people this time around.

We still steal everything from britain at any given chance.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Kind of interesting that the "Britain First" people existed before the "America First" people this time around.

We still steal everything from britain at any given chance.

You're aware 'America First' goes back to Woodrow Wilson right?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Borrovan posted:

I went to a boys' school next door to a girls' school, got put in hospital a couple of times from "falling down", that didn't happen to the girls but honestly I prefer the honesty of it to what they'd talk about.

Really it's apples & oranges though.

I'm a form tutor at a girls school. I think my form are generally lovely and get that feedback from others who teach them however there are definitely lots of falling outs and some bits of being mean. Some of them don't get on but of course they don't. I just hammer the message that they don't have to be friends but they don't get to be mean. This was important as at the start of Y7 there were a fair few who seemed to not understand why some others might not want to hang out with them.

The massive difference from my experience in school is social media. It's great for proving that someone said something mean, but the idea of being in a WhatsApp group with my whole form when I was in school? Not a chance. There was enough drama in my PGCE WhatsApp group and we were all 25-50 year olds that all chose to be teachers. There was an incident back in November which lead to a fair few of them leaving after I again reminded them of how they need to move away from things that are toxic.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

WhatEvil posted:

This is a truly excellent joke.

In other news, looks like prominent leftist youtuber, runner of Philosophy Tube has come out as trans, and is premiering a video about it in like 25 mins on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITRzvm0Xtg

Likely to be good on trans issues generally.

yeah I saw it just before I sat down to play a rpg with a couple of of my trans friends and even though one didn't know her before it was still a nice thing to learn with friends

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sad Panda posted:

I'm a form tutor at a girls school. I think my form are generally lovely and get that feedback from others who teach them however there are definitely lots of falling outs and some bits of being mean. Some of them don't get on but of course they don't. I just hammer the message that they don't have to be friends but they don't get to be mean. This was important as at the start of Y7 there were a fair few who seemed to not understand why some others might not want to hang out with them.

The massive difference from my experience in school is social media. It's great for proving that someone said something mean, but the idea of being in a WhatsApp group with my whole form when I was in school? Not a chance. There was enough drama in my PGCE WhatsApp group and we were all 25-50 year olds that all chose to be teachers. There was an incident back in November which lead to a fair few of them leaving after I again reminded them of how they need to move away from things that are toxic.

Social media has definitely added more weapons to the teenage bullying armoury. My nieces were at school when Bebo got going and the girls were posting photos of themselves in sexy 'baby-doll' nighties, photos of other girls with nasty comments and so on.

Eventually the headmistress told them to remove their accounts and any girl with a Bebo account after a given date would be expelled from the school! (It was a fee-paying school).

(Apparently Bebo is being relaunched in February!)

Personally, I don't go in Whatsapp groups with anyone, very occasional 2-3 people to arrange something specific but I think I'd go insane in some of the groups people I know are in!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes. However, the instructions show considerably more holes and placed differently than in the actual thing. It also came with more bolts etc than appear to be necessary so that had me foxed for a while too!
Hmm.. That usually indicates that the bit that should be there with all the holes is somewhere else, and either you replaced it with something that was identical except for extra holes, or the wrong way up.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

In case anyone still hadn't figured out it was a bit, I am now owning up to the bit

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1355644736682516481?s=20

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Whatsapps weird, my overly social friend with 200 peoples phone numbers was all "you need to get on whatsapp" so I did and now I still text everyone except my :420: guy who actually uses whatsapp for sending me product updates and occasional videogame memes

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think I've got it now thanks. Got one leg in position

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanitary Naptime posted:

In case anyone still hadn't figured out it was a bit, I am now owning up to the bit

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1355644736682516481?s=20

Called it lol, you're still getting Laird Tonty of Holyrood, Emperor of Scotland.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Called it lol, you're still getting Laird Tonty of Holyrood, Emperor of Scotland.

It'll sit well with the Sanitary Naptime Tory Blairite Trust Fund :v:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

BizarroAzrael posted:

My nan died suddenly last night, I hadn't spoken directly to her for something like a year. Call your loved ones.

After being hosed off with them since xmas finally had a chat with dad this morning, this afternoon he dug out Zombicide from the attic and we played a four households zoom remote game and somehow it worked, dad couldn't understand the zombie moving rules and mum had to constantly be waving her phone around the board to show everyone what cards they have/how the maps looking but it was such a good time, we're playing the next mission together tomorrow. Even if you're hosed off with your loved ones call them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Definitely, the screws wouldn't fit in the holes so I had to lubricate them a bit. Now my thighs ache from crouching over the screwing.
I'm reporting this post to Ms. Adequate.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Hearing the strains to 'Things Can Only Get Better' puts me in a really weird mental headspace because much as I hate Blair now, that period in the late 90s when it was the end of history and we'd gotten the tories out for the first time in my whole life, I actually believed it. Hearing that song takes me back to that time emotionally even though I know it's all poo poo, and the cognitive dissonance fucks me up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

my brain is so fried by the internet i see this and immediately to see another 8

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Not that weird that you’re associating the hitler number with suicide tbf

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Random Integer posted:

Basically the same for me, a few kids tried to bully me in the first few months of the first year (so ~12 y.o.) but they ended up being the ones who got mildly ostracised and the rest of it was incomparably chill.

Though it was in eastern europe and in a posh co-educational (in fact I don't think there's any single-sex ones I'm aware of) school that had around 70% girls (apparently mostly because girls do better at aptitude tests for admissions).

e: Thinking about it a few girls did sortof try to verbally bully me a few times later on but I didn't really give a toss at all.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 31, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

Basically the same for me, a few kids tried to bully me in the first few months of the first year (so ~12 y.o.) but they ended up being the ones who got mildly ostracised and the rest of it was incomparably chill.

Though it was in eastern europe and in a posh co-educational (in fact I don't think there's any single-sex ones I'm aware of) school that had around 70% girls (apparently mostly because girls do better at aptitude tests for admissions).

e: Thinking about it a few girls did sortof try to verbally bully me a few times later on but I didn't really give a toss at all.

I think that my year group in particular was really chill. There was of course some bullying that went on but more generally it wasn't very clique-y at all. There was a "popular kids" group but they broadly got on with everybody else too, and then near enough everybody else in the year were all more or less friends. It was nice, and surprising for about 170 teens.

I'd say it might have been something to do with it being a grammar school but the year below were apparently clique-y and bitchy as hell. I had several friends in the year below and from the sounds of it just about nobody in that year had a good time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
At my secondary the social groups were split up as "neds" and "moshers" (each label applied by the other group regardless of accuracy), and there was a strongly enforced culture of compulsory civility if you were in the mosher group. There was an extreme "us vs them" mentality in the mosher crowd, that the neds were all violent thugs who were only unable to bully us because of our solidarity. Any sort of open disrespect between members of the group threatened solidarity and would potentially get both parties ostracised. If you didn't like someone, the expected thing was to say nasty things about them to your friends, who would pass along those nasty words to your enemy's friends, who would pass it along to them.

We used to joke that we'd all be diplomats one day. In later life I just see twisted variations of the Geek Social Fallacies.

The closest thing the mosher group had to a "popular" crowd was probably the circle of people who threw most of the parties, but again, the worst thing they'd do to you is not invite you to the parties. Or, y'know, have their friend tell your friend that you're "a stuck up bitch who thinks you're better than everyone" while greeting you with a smile.

What social life was like over in nedworld, I have literally no idea. Did they have a social hierarchy? Any sense of common unity? Or were they savage uncultured barbarians at our gates, here to destroy Mosher Rome, the glorious and historic edifice built by *checks notes* the Party Posse? Truly, who can say.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm reporting this post to Ms. Adequate.

Thank you for your vigilance, citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cross posting from PYF because I thought UKMT would like to know that the Most Correct UK band is *checks notes* Depeche Mode? Huh.

https://twitter.com/BrianKiddsAlive/status/1355160393077956611?s=19

https://twitter.com/BrianKiddsAlive/status/1355160904887906308?s=19

https://twitter.com/BrianKiddsAlive/status/1355274842082332674?s=19