Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You'll be pleased to know the daily mail is absolutely livid about the fireworks

"Viewers slam BBC and London mayor Sadiq Khan for 'forcing politics' into NYE light display that featured 'woke' NHS tributes, BLM fist salutes and a climate change lecture by David Attenborough - while NO ONE sang Auld Lang Syne"

Lmao cry more, daily mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

*is triggered*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CyberPingu posted:

Seems pretty irresponsible to hold a mass gathering. Even if you do think you have things under control.

China does have it completely under control and they know they do because of their crazy surveillance

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mourning Due posted:

Is there a good stats-based takedown of articles like this out there, showing that the thing is real?

I dare say that anyone who thinks the pandemic isn't real at this point is simply irrecoverable

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bitcoin is basically the tulip bubble of the 1600s except each tulip is a smokestack

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jiggerypokery posted:

Has anywhere ever successfully harnessed tidal at scale?

Quick google says Korea has a big tidal plant (254MW) but I have no frame of reference for how much energy that is.

The UK uses about 60,000 MW a year.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Couldn't give a toss if wind power disrupts TV signals tbh.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

I have cheques that need to go in the bank, today was a bank holiday so tomorrow is the earliest I can go. Annoying.

Which bank? My bank allows me to deposit cheques by taking a photo of them with my phone via my bank's app

Truly we live in the future

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think he might have had some plans about dealing with that problem.

A solution, you say?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

threat level extra spicy.

Staying in for a cheeky covids

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
A windsock except it only responds to what another windsock is doing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Get your bingo cards ready for tonight, I'm going to take a shot when Boris says "work from home if you can".

"following the science"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"it is important that everyone"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*turns blank page over on podium*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Convex posted:

He is a soft boiled egg in a person suit, the nervousness is just his inherent wobbling from having a liquid yolk

He's constantly terrified someone will bump into him a little bit too hard and the yolk will come out and everyone will find out he's actually an egg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like how BBC will be following up with "reactions" rather than y'know "analysis and expert commentary".

VIDEO: doctors REACT to Prime Minister's Address elsa spiderman peppa pig

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm so glad all the kids, having had an opportunity to pick up covid from family at Christmas, got an opportunity today to mix with other kids at school whose families avoided it at Christmas

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oh dear me posted:

We have many wind and solar farms in Cornwall and I am strongly in favour of putting them everywhere possible in our current circumstances.

All the same, they absolutely do spoil the views a bit. To the people who think wind farms are beautiful, that's nice for you, but so is the Taj Mahal and yet I don't want to see the Taj Mahal everywhere.

If the Taj Mahal made electricity, though...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Woo i'll be getting my training for volunteer vaccinating soon

Can't wait to stab people with abandon

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I got the opportunity to volunteer through my place of work (which is in the medical sector). I have absolutely no medical training whatsoever though. They're not asking for complete randos just yet because there's some sort of legal thing between my company and the organisation doing the vaccination, i dunno. I tried to get my wife signed up but they were all like "nope not yet".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Just get the needle gun from team fortress 2 and hose down a whole street full of people with vaccines.

Syringes are about the same size as those 'bullets' that go into Nerf guns.

Just saying.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Perfect Element posted:

I am just praying, in an incredibly selfish manner, that playgrounds remain open. This is not because I am a nonce, but actually because I have a 21 month old and it's literally the only activity we really have available.

The rules are loose enough for that to be interpreted as exercise, which is a permitted reason to go outside. You'll be fine.

e: and if nurseries are explicitly allowed to stay open I would think playgrounds will be OK. So long as you can physically access them - but I doubt local authorities will bother boarding them up like they did in March.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If we must construct additional pylons, might as well make em look nice

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Flayer posted:

Haven't they learned by this point?

They never learn op

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My boss sent me a PowerPoint file about Lean 6 Sigma and I couldn't get 10% of the way in before wanting to kill myself

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I find the best way to get all my chores done is to have something really important I need to do for work and then avoid it by doing the chores instead.

My bathroom is gleaming

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

All this business gobbledegook just makes me glad I don't work in an office.

Let's put a pin in that and circle back to it later to touch base.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

There are four plumbers van parked outside my flat. What scale of plumbing catastrophe necessitates 4 vans.

Four vaans, Jeremy? That's insane

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've been working at home since March and I love it.

It's one of the few little upsides of the government completely loving up the pandemic response.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I love the absolute inevitability of a conversation starting with "lol all these Facebook people get this poo poo wrong" and instantly devolves into holy war.

Don't mention airplanes on treadmills

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Armani Glasses posted:

Up here in Aberdeen I work in Starbucks and our two central stores are as busy, if not busier, than before this 'lockdown' was announced. Suddenly families and other folk are out in droves for their "exercise walks" which just happen to all pass by our stores. Its obscene and just makes me think no-one is paying attention at all and we'll see that number will continue to go up, up, up. I'm ashamed we are even keeping the doors open to be honest, and if I could I'd have my store closed until February and beyond, but alas money needs to be made and we'll skirt the line until explicitly told: "Stop"!

The virus may take your lives but it'll never take your freedom

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Some quality content tonight. Looks like i'm not going to bed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

:stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hey does anyone remember this news site, or maybe it was just a twitter, but they reported about news from the UK I believe, but they reported on it in the same way that modern news report on news from the developing world, using terms like "the regime" and the like which put a very sinister look on the whole thing. It was a great thing for showing double standards in journalism.

I know who you're thinking of. A twitter feed but I don't recall the name.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

therattle posted:

Seeing as it’s for heroes not carers, it’s lost the alliteration. May I suggest something like Howl (or Hurl) for Heroes?

Hard-on for Heroes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which ones are Coco and Thicko?

Ask Gibbo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Am at my vaccination training day

I believe this will qualify me to receive one (1) clap on Thursdays, so I'll be checking in on each of you next week to ensure the clap has been duly issued

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm loving this idea of charity via private contractors.

Perhaps we can pay a company to house the homeless? Give them like maybe £5000 a pop and the company books the cheapest rooms at the Premier Inn? (with one Mayfair penthouse suite for the company director's daughter recently made homeless by being 'kicked out' of the family mansion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not the hard drive space that bothers me as much as the depressing thought of yet another piece of disposable media on the bonfire

I don't think downloading a file means you have to rip out the hard drive and put it in the bin

Unless it's, y'know, but that's the church's problem