Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

CyberPingu posted:

Also please don't buy books off of Amazon. Support local bookshops at bookshop.org

E. Didn't realise those were free. Still point stands
There is also Hive that do a similar thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I would struggle to even define what "british humour" is tbh.
Self-loathing and celebrating failure.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jakabite posted:

What’s your alternative method of energy generation then?
Nuclear fusion. It's only five years away....

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19
He's escaping to Moscow?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not sure in itself it's a bad idea just badly implemented. You don't want businesses like Netflix or Amazon AWS to be able to always undercut British businesses by 20%. It needs sensible implementations like minimum volumes and/or easy ways for smaller companies to co-operate.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

why should an overseas seller have to pay tax in the UK as well as in their country of origin?
I believe that exports don't normally incur VAT type taxes on export.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

How it worked up until the beginning of the year was that people would get a bill from the carrier prior to delivery. This change requires the seller to register with the UK and charge VAT up front, plus deal with all the paperwork around it. The same amount of money is getting remitted, but it's going to be a much larger pain in the rear end for smaller sellers.
That's how it's meant to work. But read any AliExpress or grey-import web discussion and it's clear that more probably gets missed than get's caught.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I corrected my post to say its the storefront you use not the location of despatch.

The Marketplace sales are already covered by paying local VAT for their sales. Italian vendors pay Italian sales tax on all UK sales. The UK would then get their cut on the import tax and duty which, as previously a member of the EU it hasn't levied on European sales.

What this now is a case of the UK double dipping. This isn't about the international sales getting a 20% undercut by nature, especially in some countries where their sales tax is higher than the UK. The majority of vendors are making sales to individuals who are not VAT registered, which means they are not exempt from local sales tax, so again our Italian vendor would have to pay their local sales tax and then suddenly have to cough up to HMRC a few months later for the privilege of supplying luxury loo roll to a UK customer.
Sales within the EU aren't exports (the point of it being a single market). For an export such as UK-to-USA, HMRC don't impose VAT.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-rules-rates/index_en.htm
"VAT isn't charged on exports of goods to countries outside the EU. In these cases, VAT is charged and due in the country of import..."

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

For sellers that were already being dodgy about VAT, I imagine they'd just declare a low value on the package and mark it as a gift. I don't really see how this is going to prevent that.
I suspect the end-game will be to be in the position of going to big sites likes AliExpress and say, honour your VAT collection duties or we will block you from doing business in the UK (previously the duty has been on the buyer/importer so they couldn't go that route). Smaller players will either not sell to the UK (A win for the UK treasury) or do as you say.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I just had a blood test and I don't think I've ever had such a smooth GP surgery appointment. I arrive a bit early so sat in my car. I use the intercom to explain I have a blood test in five minutes and they let me in after a temperature check. On time the nurse turns up and calls me in and about three minutes after my scheduled time I'm done and out of the building.

I don't know how much is the covid effect keeping people away and how much is the system for actually booking appointments putting off people. I now have to use the NHS app to request a GP appointment via a medical survey (the reception can't book a GP appointment, all they can do is fill out the questionnaire for you). That got an initial triage and assigned to someone to look at the following day and only then did a human decide I should have a GP telephone appointment. The subsequent booking of the blood test was done via a human on reception but only after an hour phone queue (fortunately the system will call you back rather than having to stay on the line. I suspect reception having to fill out the form for old people is the main cause of the long wait time).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Percents are quite terrible anyway for many reasons. Off the top of my head, you've got percent vs percentage point change; the fact that e.g. something going up by 5% and then down by 5% leaves it at 99.75% of the original; the ambiguity of "has gone up by 200%" vs "has gone up to 200% of what it was". I wish more people would use factors, especially in the last case - gone up by a factor of 3 or 2.

And yes, the number of otherwise intelligent people who are scared of going up a tax band...
This all reminds me of this video that Youtube decided to show me recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrAgT86UzSU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

it's just pantomime. Blue-blooded space lizards are immune to COVID.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gort posted:

Get out of HSBC, they constantly top lists of unethical banks. Go to somewhere like NationWide.

Edit: And tell 75 other HSBC customers to do the same
I believe Nationwide no longer have unarranged overdrafts so they'll reject transactions, plus they don't do a 'rejected payment' fee.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Blueshirt posted:

S&TC started out pretty cool and then turned into "4 impossibly rich monsters whine about their non-problems" before launching into absolute insanity with the movies, one of which was so insanely bad, classist and racist that it made Mark Kermode break down and sing the Internationale at a perplexed Simon Mayo.
Good news! They're bringing it back!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55616551

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Sky is probably going to have a stranglehold on HBO stuff for the foreseeable future so if you don't have that your best bet is a Now TV trial.
Unfortunately the cost of NowTV is creeping up. You used to be able to buy gift cards that worked out cheaper than directly paying but they've stopped those. They also used to always give really cheap deals if you went to cancel, but I gather they're not so generous now. I suspect NowTV is getting too popular and affecting Sky.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK8QQsKSpQ

There aren't any crisps involved.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's poo poo but if it's monument trashing time then who the gently caress cares about 'the law'?

Like, I know they exist, but lol at the type of person who falls exactly between 'oh no i wouldn't ever join a protest, it's naughty' and 'smash the state, build the guillotines'. Legal revolution only.

Although yeah I worked it out as I was typing this that it's just another law to punish us because they know people will try poo poo as we get more and more desperate. Gotta keep those prisons full and the fines coming in.
To me it reads less a law aimed at protestors and more at tying the hands of councils, property owners and such who want to remove statues they currently have the right to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So another spike in Covid coming?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/24/snow-brightens-uk-landscapes-but-covid-precautions-still-necessary