Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's really impressive how much they're loving up the vaccine. It really does feel like the second dose is never going to become available at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That IDS quote really does piss me off. To him, the opportunity to screw others out of the value of their labour by being a 'buccaneering trader' is a good thing? gently caress you for endorsing the kind of vulture capitalism that screws over everyone else (technically any capitalism I guess)

What a great island we're becoming when that's considered the best way forward for the youth of today. World first in loving other people over! Huzzah! Aspirational! Johnny foreigner will never see it coming! We're so smart!

Utter bastards.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Meanwhile "defundtheBBC" is trending on twitter because racists are upset by the BLM fireworks,
"Sorry Jess" is trending as FBPE types body her for writing an article trying to say we're all in this together now after everything she's done,

aaaand "Little Prick" is trending because Brewdog are trying to choose a name for the free promotional beer they'll hand out to people who get vaccinated at their premises (if that happens)

Ahh 2021, off to a good start. :allears:

Is Twitter always like this? It's honestly the first time I've sat down and read it for a bit as I'm knackered after sanding my walls down to get ready to paint them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Blueshirt posted:

In the face of that the surprising thing, to me, isn't that a few people have decided to go "gently caress it" and party, it's that such a large percentage are still respecting covid protocols.

I'm more surprised that people are still supporting the Tories and can't envisage better things. Labour being so poo poo now under Starmer for fear of being called out for "playing politics" has me way more angry.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You see sensible adults all agree on the one way to do things which is with no changes to the current system ever. Anything opposing that is just naive student politics.

It's almost like they're all invested in holding up the massive racket they have going.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey we made it a whole 24 hours before the first slap fight.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

Are they seriously going to gently caress with the vaccine dosing :psyduck:

Yep. It's insane. loving insane.

E: whoops. hosed up the middle page.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 2, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Whoops hosed up the links. Fixed now!

I don't even know how to process it. It's like. Even though I knew they'd gently caress it up, I didn't think they'd gently caress it up THIS badly.

Every time we think we've hit the bottom...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Meanwhile my dear mum just had a rant on whatsapp that the reason we have a Boris as PM is clearly because of people voting for things like boaty mc boat face.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

German humour to be fair is way better.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It feels like both the US and UK humour in the last 30 years suffered from the counter culture basically becoming the culture and then falling prey to all the same trappings of capitalism as before.

Maybe that's just getting old? Maybe good comedy never really was good as a lot of it in retrospect is beating down on one minority or another. The UK panel show circuit that seemingly kicked off with the Hignfy Angus scandal causing rotating hosts and making the popularity soar certainly has gotten a bit stale recently though, I agree.

I did enjoy catching up on taskmaster last year when I came back, some of that was quite funny. I haven't watched this year though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife and I often light-heartedly argue about sarcasm (She's American)

When she's sarcastic I can't read it at all. It just comes off as her being entirely serious or weird about something that only an American would be serious or passionate about.
I'm really careful to not be sarcastic around her because if I do it, it comes off as me being an rear end in a top hat to her.

She thinks British people are entirely miserable and massively self deprecating and mostly blames it on "this frozen rainy hellhole of a country you all live in"

I mean, she's not wrong.

E: 15 stone is 95.2544 kg which is roughly what I've weighed for the last 10 years no matter how much I exercise or diet. At least I'm really tall.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That tracks with my wife. She's a massive troll and was the one who introduced me to SA.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I agree with Owlfancier, I can't watch any of the cringe comedy things in any way without wanting to just try and run.

It's a kind of visceral "flight or fight" reaction from me and I always just end up leaving the room because I have no real understanding of how to deal with tension.

I think the best experience that I can relate to it is. It's like you are at school and your all in assembly and have to listen to some dude do a presentation on whatever the hell. And they are bad at it. Not comedically bad, but just messing everything up, being unengaging, avoiding looking at people etc. You can't leave because you have to be there and all around you people are talking softly, not paying attention and just generally ignoring someone who appears to be trying to tell them something.

To me, that is a kind of nightmare. It's not even being up there doing it myself, it's having to witness it and not being able to do a drat thing about it.

Oh hey, this is me. Cringe makes me want to hide behind the sofa more than any monster movie.

I got a bit better at handling it by doing some stand up when I was younger but several adult bouts of dancing in public (without insane booze levels) or doing karaoke has me right back being unable to deal with even basic tension and/or cringe.

I haven't watched the end of Parasite yet as its too unenjoyable watching them all lie. I feel way too involved.

I tried watching peep show and was like haha nope gently caress this.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My approach is just screaming silently and hiding on my sofa with my wife and five cats and then drinking so much I destroyed my stomach and can't eat or drink much anymore.

Hey maybe this will help me lose weight!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Crispix is very serious about making irc a good and safe place to hang out. Ps. #ukgoons on synirc!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

LordVorbis posted:

So if you need a doctor now what? Just die?

My docs has had all e-services turned off since June or so, because they had a 60% no show rate on online appointments.

Now the amazing modern system is if you want an appointment for anything non 999 worthy you ring at 8am, and get engaged tone and redial immediately for at least 40+ minutes. Then you get put in a queue of max 5 people (why they can't have a bigger queue system I don't know)

You then explain your problem and they triage you and you get a call back later in the day from the doc. It's utter balls and for someone pathologically afraid of phone calls it's quite fun making 200+ calls whenever you need to talk to a doc.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wow... they're so poo poo...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I loving love wind turbines.

My first job ever was running cable as IT for a solar power company that my mum worked for at the time.

She's always been massively into renewable and whenever I spot a good wind turbine I send her a pic.

She used to take me up onto the hills as a kid right under them to see them. They're loving glorious and one of the few good things that are massive industrial structures.

There's loads here in Sheffield and they're AWESOME. gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Psa. I am able to drink again and work was hard and lovely and everything broke over Christmas. Hi goons I love you all, even the misguided guy from Norway. My Swedish friends say Norway has terrible roads. Is that true?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Convex posted:

Camrath can you make Toblerone fudge please :)

Seconded!!!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I hate long coffees and only drink espresso. Machines are poo poo at long coffees (pushing too much water through the puck massively increases the bitterness) but if you want a shot of espresso nothing will beat it.

However I got a cold brew coffee thingy for christmas and it's basically a long brew french press that you leave for 24h and has a much finer filter. drat it's good. No acidity. Do recommend as it's like £20 for one that fits in the fridge door and you get coffee for a week as holy hell it's strong.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I do cold brew myself thought mine is very basic; throw coffee + water in sealed jar for 20hr then drain through sieve + filter and throw back in the cleaned jar = coffee for the week.

Any more than 20hr ruins the PH balance and sets off my hiatus hernia big time. :kingsley:

Good to know! I am not at the point of ph testing my coffee yet but with staying inside for another year it's only a matter of time.

E: I thought we learned with the Brussels sprouts argument vs broccoli a while ago. We all have wildly different tastebuds and that's OK!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Peel it, cut the roots off, Dice it into chips, toss it in olive oil, paprika and chicken or veg boullion (salt if you have that) throw it in the oven at 180 for 30-40min depending on your oven strength and how thick you cut the chips. You may want to shake the pan half way through. Lots of moisture will come out and they'll shrink up massively.

Eat dipped into mayo and or ketchup like French fries.

It's low carb so I make it as a fries sub for my diabetic partner a lot and it's close enough that it doesn't spike her blood sugar.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I can't decide if the school meals thing is malice with the general feeling from conservatives thinking things like:

"So they want something for free do they? We'll see how they like THIS free lunch then, loving scroungers" which my dad, a self professed 'Old Tory' would do. Undeserving poor BS mentality etc. etc.

Or if it is the logical conclusion of min/max capitalism where my dad ALSO used to spout things like "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!" which leads to measuring out 2p's worth of pasta and cutting a pepper in half because "A penny saved is a penny earned" or some poo poo.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Replacing council tax with a home owners tax is a bloody good idea.

They have that in Spain and everyone who owns a home hates it of course.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wachter posted:

In this country, you gotta make the models first. Then when you got the models, you get the paint. Then when you paint the models, then you get the... uh...

Obsession with buying bases, flock, gravel, tiny screwdrivers, modelling clay, claw grabby things, different colours of undercoat... The list goes on.

Save me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

From yesterday but this is amazing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I still can't believe that the genuine small business advice for dealing with the border red tape is to incorporate in Europe.

How about we all just incorporate in Europe. We could move the whole country to be part of Europe even then there'd be no red tape for anyone. That'd be crazy radical though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It'll come around again, this was never a one election fight. It's a generational battle and the stakes are only the planet.

E: office catte

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Meanwhile in the town I used to live in, in the Netherlands. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-24/dutch-police-clash-with-rioters-in-netherlands/13087854

And several other places.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I do my entire job as a games systems designer in excel.

Pretty much build the entire game economy, all levelling, stats, equipment, xp curves, shops, items, enemies, balancing etc. out of excel.

The entire 'gameplay' gets simplified to a weighted random button that you just click to run a single cycle that then spits you out the other side with a bit more xp or currency to spend in a shop. The weighting takes into account levels, difficulty etc and I usually take account for different player types, payers, non payers etc as well by having different initial settings.

If you can make the excel fun for an artist or something to collect a load of fake pokemon with different coloured borders and level up numbers next to them and you find them playing it at lunch , You've got a good enough metagame.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Niric posted:

This is a great description of greatest game of all time, Football Manager

Every single game ever made is basically football manager with more or less stats and a different variant of random output.

Also. I love powerbi but gently caress me I have a lot to learn on it. If anyone has some good resources I'd very much appreciate it. I'm the only person who gives a drat about analytics so I'm ending up getting heavily involved in the publisher side of it so I'm teaching myself to write queries. It's ridiculously satisfying when you query millions of fields and do some bastard complicated join and then get a useful table out of it where you can say "Holy poo poo. I don't understand any of this! But I look like I've made a chart that tentatively proves something!"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

willie_dee posted:

What differences in your life has it made? My partners been urging me to get diagnosed as she’s in the field and says I clearly have it, and I’m willing to, but don’t see what it will achieve.

I too would also like more info. My partner is convinced about me too. Though mostly from her reading Elise the greats posts on it in the healthcare stories thread and saying it basically maps 1:1 with me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So what you're saying is I should plant turnips now because its all we're going to have to eat after we're forced to lock all the borders during lockdown 9 Christmas 2021 to avoid the European turbocorona virus because we got Chris Grayling to try to save the hedgehogs and he fed them all our supply of vacceine that we outbid the EU for.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jokes on you all, I never had any friends.

A load of kids in school pretended to be my friend for a bit to string me along for laughs then turned on me savagely all at once at the end of school, did a load of nasty poo poo and then ghosted me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

With how poo poo Keith is and how universally slammed he's starting to get, is there any hope we can claw back the party from the poo poo pile of centrist wankery we're stuck in?

Or do we have to get absolutely crushed at another general election to even have a snowball in hells chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It really is like they think they're running in the US election in 2016...