Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One quantum/biology thing I find faintly amusing is Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer, and how it's mega important in all sorts of biochemical tests. But every time I see it discussed it's "this works because of FRET, don't loving ask me how". It's like a big concrete wall where biology becomes chemistry and therefore not our problem.

closely related to Transferring Energised Resonant Flourescence, the process for manufacturing Sunday Times stories

e: In base 10, 164 is the smallest number that can be expressed as a concatenation of two squares in two different ways: as 1 concatenate 64 or 16 concatenate 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

With ASD/ADHD, no-one will get a diagnosis if their parents don't want a diagnosis*.
That was also a weird barrier, I had to pursue a diagnosis myself because my dear old mam didn't want me to be 'branded with a label' (so instead I got branded with the labels of lazy, difficult, stupid, oblivious etc).

kingturnip posted:

There are plenty of children with ASD/ADHD who don't present with any challenging behaviour at school, so children with more 'pure' behaviour difficulties will soak up more adult time (in managing their behaviour) than other children.
I don't know how it is now, but me being overlooked was more to do with the 80s and 90s school systems having no loving idea what was going on. Even by the time I got to university the best student services could do was a dyslexia test. After three failed attempts I paid for a test and got 'cognitive dyspraxia' which is bullshit but was a functional diagnosis to get me support. 15 years later I pursued a diagnosis of autism after a series of failed attempts at counselling, CBT and depresdion meds.

My wife is 10 years younger than me and got support for dyspraxia and it sounds like the support mechanisms were better, it's just the TA that did her SEN support was clueless and treat her like she had low IQ rather than the co-ordination difficulties she was diagnosed with.

But still, it definitely seems to be a general trend that a poor kid (or a kid in a poorer area with a more overloaded and underfunded school) is more likely to just be written off as naughty, whereas a kid from a more well off area with a better funded school is more likely to be examined closer and given a diagnosis that excuses their behaviour.

It's like how NHS patients with mysterious pains get a shrug after several years, and private patients get a shitload of scans and a syndrome named after them.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Total Meatlove posted:

The variety of visualisations, publishing to PowerBI as a service in the cloud for access and sharing etc, and the ability to integrate R and Python. Outside of that, it does the same modelling of tables and query editing that Excel does but makes it a lot more user friendly. Like a 1/10 to a 7/10 experience.

E: in your pivot tables, have you been building in the Excel data model and creating relationships between the tables?

The official assignment just has them working on a single csv with 1000 rows and 12? columns. Fake holiday data with things like email, price, holiday type, date booked, rating of booking/accommodation/transport, transport type, loyalty card member, sex, holiday length. They're supposed to open it up, play around with it and see what trends they can find (and so what recommendations they can give based on it). The data provided by the exam board seemed very randomised so had no real trends and just lots of garbage. I thought that was unfair on the students so put together a Python script to randomly generate the data but with some rules behind it (camping holidays cheaper, more common in summer, those with a loyalty card more likely to make recommendations, prices based on month so taking into account peak seasons) so there are some trends to spot.

They 'import the csv' (open it and then re-save it as an xlsx, click 'format as table', make the table pretty, and then insert -> pivot table -> pivot chart a few times basically. Then need to drop those pivot charts onto a single sheet to call it a dashboard. They're meant to use some 'automation tools' but that can just be 'add a button with Excel macro to switch to another sheet'. They also need to include lookups and 'string operations'. Though string operations feels incredibly forced. Because it's not like there's much to extract.

namesake posted:

The UI is designed to show tables and graphs so its easier to build the final dashboard together rather than spending ages lining everything up from several different graphs and filters and disabling the scroll bars. It also allows better connections to databases so it's better if you've got large tables that you want to bring bits of it through.

If you're teaching people how to present data though then there's not a massive benefit to it.

Probably massive overkill then. Their dashboard doesn't have to be particularly good. It just needs to be 'fully efficient and comprehensive' whatever you decide that means when done by a 14-16 year old.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1354521063502336001

A decent response on SNP transphobia, though a few years late and it'll need to be seen what action comes off the back of this. It's nice to see a party leader actually give a poo poo about mass resignations from their party though.

On ADHD-chat: if you're looking to get a diagnosis on the NHS, my advice is to start that process ASAP. There was a 24 month waiting list when I went to my GP and it's apparently only gotten worse since, even before covid hit.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I love powerbi.

Dax is awesome.

Dashboarding is a cinch.

Just do it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
all the twitter videos in the world don't mean poo poo when you're happy to have Joanna loving Cherry in your party imo

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Julio Cruz posted:

all the twitter videos in the world don't mean poo poo when you're happy to have Joanna loving Cherry in your party imo

Yeah, one of the actions I'd like to see to make me trust them more is yeeting her into orbit

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

Russia simply uses a pencil 6000 and Sweden 6300 just to be different.

Is there some way to use this knowledge to work out ‘if we are being shelled by the Swedes, we just need to move 30 feet to the right to ensure they miss’?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's how Finland happened.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sad Panda posted:

Probably massive overkill then. Their dashboard doesn't have to be particularly good. It just needs to be 'fully efficient and comprehensive' whatever you decide that means when done by a 14-16 year old.

Yeah I'd say the risk of it being incompatible with their hard/software as well as all the irritation about creating accounts etc aren't worth it to get that extra level of data manipulation and quicker presentation. Just teach them about why you shouldn't ever really use pie charts for most things, ask for a few data validation dropdown menus that formulas read from to make some dynamic charts if they're really feeling fancy and that's enough to understand what a dashboard is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Making outright threats to Steal Are Vaccines is really gonna set the seal on UK-EU relations. I didn't expect the war to start quite this fast.

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

On ADHD-chat: if you're looking to get a diagnosis on the NHS, my advice is to start that process ASAP. There was a 24 month waiting list when I went to my GP and it's apparently only gotten worse since, even before covid hit.
If you can get your GP to agree you might possibly have it, you can invoke your Right to Choose a provider for the next stage of diagnosis e.g. https://www.psychiatry-uk.com/right-to-choose/. That particular service is currently inundated due to the entire Internet having spent the lockdown discovering ADHD memes and going "Wait, I do that!" so their waiting list has spiked to several weeks.

As opposed to the 3-4 years we were recently quoted for the same referral to Surrey Neurodevelopmental Care :v:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/28/gary-jones-on-taking-over-daily-express-it-was-anti-immigrant-i-couldnt-sleep

Interesting to hear Gary Jones pretend to be horrified by the headlines whilst at the same time saying the honourable decent Express reader were surely not racist on radio 4 just now. Utter scum.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

willie_dee posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/28/gary-jones-on-taking-over-daily-express-it-was-anti-immigrant-i-couldnt-sleep

Interesting to hear Gary Jones pretend to be horrified by the headlines whilst at the same time saying the honourable decent Express reader were surely not racist on radio 4 just now. Utter scum.

Bizarre! I go past the Daily Express when I go to Home Bargains (it's all red tops in there) and their front pages are full of what is essentially "I love Bojo and isn't brexit grate" poo poo unless it's different inside.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

willie_dee posted:

Christ he can't even keep his story straight in this fluff piece

quote:

He said he was horrified after searching for Daily Express front pages on Google shortly after accepting the job, only to see headlines such as: “At last! May gets tough on migrants!”, “How migrants snatched our homes”, and “Britain’s 40% surge in ethnic numbers.”

quote:

Jones’s Conservative-supporting parents had been lifelong readers of the Daily Express when it was still selling millions of copies a day, and passed on the habit to their son.

loving hell man, cast yourself as the moral crusader or the bumbling fuckwit taking on a job without realising what it meant but you can't do both at the same time.

Anything reducing the open bigotry of UK newspaper frontpages is good news, up to and including fire, but lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

namesake posted:

Yeah I'd say the risk of it being incompatible with their hard/software as well as all the irritation about creating accounts etc aren't worth it to get that extra level of data manipulation and quicker presentation. Just teach them about why you shouldn't ever really use pie charts for most things, ask for a few data validation dropdown menus that formulas read from to make some dynamic charts if they're really feeling fancy and that's enough to understand what a dashboard is.

What's up with pie charts? Any other tips or maybe an article/link on what the best chart/graph is to represent certain information? Im assuming there are actual rules. My students mainly care whether it looks pretty or not.

I'm struggling to think of meaningful data validation dropdowns when I can just do a slicer linked to my pivot chart. Just seems so much more effort.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
humans are uniquely poor at evaluating the area of circles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1354402708179050503

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

humans are uniquely poor at evaluating the area of circles.
Going to need to see some data on other mammalian circle area perception for comparison.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

What's up with pie charts? Any other tips or maybe an article/link on what the best chart/graph is to represent certain information? Im assuming there are actual rules. My students mainly care whether it looks pretty or not.

I'm struggling to think of meaningful data validation dropdowns when I can just do a slicer linked to my pivot chart. Just seems so much more effort.

Slicers are okay but I learned on pre-slicer Excel so maybe I'm biased against them lol. The main advantage with cells with validation restrictions is having a intermediary table using formulas and reference cells to pull relevant data into it which gets you dynamic charts without needing pivot tables (which can add to the size of the workbook if you have lots of them). This is unnecessary when learning the basics of dashboards though, I wouldn't worry when teaching it to someone.

Pie charts are misleading when dealing with more than three groups included in the pie - humans are typically extremely bad at assessing relative size differences between the slices just by sight so when there are more than three options (which usually makes comparisons obvious) then they cannot compare just how much bigger one slice is compared to the others. When there's more than 3 options it's pretty much always better to move to other form of graph. This argument was presented to me by Stephen Few who has published a bunch of books and this blog but I don't have any specific references to hand sorry https://perceptualedge.com/

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, the media seem to be a lot more mask-off (heh) than they used to be: I've been following politics for a loooong time and I'm sure it all didn't used to be as brazen as it is now.

Love that literally as you would have been typing this the press were preparing a massive coordinated apology spread for the PM lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1354521063502336001

A decent response on SNP transphobia, though a few years late and it'll need to be seen what action comes off the back of this. It's nice to see a party leader actually give a poo poo about mass resignations from their party though.

Lol, does literally anyone, even the TERFs, not at least notionally agree with the statement “transphobia is bad”?All the TERFs say stuff like “of course I have no problem with transgender people, but”. Good to know that we’ve all got different opinions on gender identification though. What a loving nothing statement, cynically presented as an off-the-cuff video that obviously therefore is completely sincere, as if that wasn’t a 100% calculated choice. She promised absolutely zero actual action.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Everyone should have to do their data visualisation in R without RStudio, like nature intended.

(I hated learning R)

malk83 posted:

If you can get your GP to agree you might possibly have it, you can invoke your Right to Choose a provider for the next stage of diagnosis e.g. https://www.psychiatry-uk.com/right-to-choose/. That particular service is currently inundated due to the entire Internet having spent the lockdown discovering ADHD memes and going "Wait, I do that!" so their waiting list has spiked to several weeks.

As opposed to the 3-4 years we were recently quoted for the same referral to Surrey Neurodevelopmental Care :v:

gently caress me 3-4 years for the most pharmacologically treatable psychiatric disorder.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

So they're finally listening to me.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

malk83 posted:

Hah yeah, a few friends have definitely slid into my DMs recently going "so uh about getting diagnosed, how does that work?"

On Sturgeon: yeah I mean I'm giving it a fairly kind hearing I'll admit, I'm absolutely prepared for gently caress all to happen like it has the last few years, but at least they're pissing their pants about it for once

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol, does literally anyone, even the TERFs, not at least notionally agree with the statement “transphobia is bad”?All the TERFs say stuff like “of course I have no problem with transgender people, but”. Good to know that we’ve all got different opinions on gender identification though. What a loving nothing statement, cynically presented as an off-the-cuff video that obviously therefore is completely sincere, as if that wasn’t a 100% calculated choice. She promised absolutely zero actual action.

Eh there's some clear statements - transphobia is as unacceptable as racism or sexism, debate is not a cover for bigotry - that are solid lines that should be brought up over and over again until they are backed by action.

It's not enough but this has been tolerated for a long time in the SNP and now has reached a point where Sturgeon feels she needs to act and she's backing the right side so I would be hopeful from this rather than dismissing at this moment in time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

So they're finally listening to me.

going to make the drive-thrus rather lewd imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

namesake posted:

Eh there's some clear statements - transphobia is as unacceptable as racism or sexism, debate is not a cover for bigotry - that are solid lines that should be brought up over and over again until they are backed by action.

It's not enough but this has been tolerated for a long time in the SNP and now has reached a point where Sturgeon feels she needs to act and she's backing the right side so I would be hopeful from this rather than dismissing at this moment in time.

Yeah, it remains to be seen whether anything will be done about it or if it's just talk, but it is at least the right talk, and she's already under attack in The Comments for it so that's something at least

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Everyone should have to do their data visualisation in R without RStudio, like nature intended.

(I hated learning R)

gently caress me 3-4 years for the most pharmacologically treatable psychiatric disorder.

Can’t the average gp just prescribe medication while waiting for the official diagnosis? They can prescribe other mental health meds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got my ADHD diagnosis just before Christmas and it's made a big difference to me. Took about eight months from the first time I called my GP.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can’t the average gp just prescribe medication while waiting for the official diagnosis? They can prescribe other mental health meds.

No, nope, not at all. Most of the really effective ADHD meds are very tightly controlled drugs and no GP can start them.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The more you know. Thanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

No, nope, not at all. Most of the really effective ADHD meds are very tightly controlled drugs and no GP can start them.
idk plenty of them seem to start them before they've even graduated

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

going to make the drive-thrus rather lewd imo

I haven't stuck my bare arse out of the window of a moving car since I was a teenager

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

The entire 'gameplay' gets simplified to a weighted random button that you just click to run a single cycle that then spits you out the other side with a bit more xp or currency to spend in a shop. The weighting takes into account levels, difficulty etc and I usually take account for different player types, payers, non payers etc as well by having different initial settings.

This is a great description of greatest game of all time, Football Manager

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Niric posted:

This is a great description of greatest game of all time, Football Manager

Every single game ever made is basically football manager with more or less stats and a different variant of random output.

Also. I love powerbi but gently caress me I have a lot to learn on it. If anyone has some good resources I'd very much appreciate it. I'm the only person who gives a drat about analytics so I'm ending up getting heavily involved in the publisher side of it so I'm teaching myself to write queries. It's ridiculously satisfying when you query millions of fields and do some bastard complicated join and then get a useful table out of it where you can say "Holy poo poo. I don't understand any of this! But I look like I've made a chart that tentatively proves something!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's all just 1s and 0s at the end of the day.

And the occasional 2-1 or 3-0.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
sturgeon's speech has maybe bought her a little time at least. now the question is "is sturgeon going to even acknowledge there's a problem" to "is sturgeon actually going to do anything"

knox_harrington posted:

R without RStudio

this is inhumane.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

I haven't stuck my bare arse out of the window of a moving car since I was a teenager

i think you need to stop the car, op, otherwise those people swabbing will have quite a job

like a dystopian Benny Hill, i imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

Every single game ever made is basically football manager with more or less stats and a different variant of random output.

UKMT kept recommending Disco Elysium but as far as I can tell you can't set your detectives up in an asymmetric 4-3-1-2, so can you even call it a game?