Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Last major news I heard in 2020 was that legendary rapper MF Doom has died. What a shite loving year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

stev posted:

Why isn't he queen yet?

Not inbred enough

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Given the UK's economy just crashed, the plague is spreading without any meaningful way to contain it, and Boris is in charge?

I may be genuinely worried. I may have been for a while.

There are clearly meaningful ways to contain it because other countries have done better than the UK. The government should have a much tighter definition of essential worker (it is not essential that Game is open for example). People coming into the country should have been quarantined in hotels or similar rather than the farcical trust system. The government should have been paying people to stay at home.

The notion that nothing more could've been done is utter bollocks. Especially as we did absolutely gently caress all for ages.

Okay, you understand that but just worded it poorly, fair enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

I wondered why some people had been letting off fireworks at 11pm rather than waiting til midnight, until one of my friends on our Google Meet call suggested it was probably people celebrating Brexit since that officially happened at midnight CET. Fucks sake.

Didn't hear any of that here. Scotland wins again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Plenty of countries had it under control then had outbreaks again

All 11 million residents in Wuhan have been tested for Coronavirus. The Chinese handled it extremely effectively, albeit with little regard for niceties like civil liberties.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

no ifs no buts was in the summer, but e.g. starmer insisted that schools should stay open during the November lockdown

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1322839946214989825?s=20

and Nandy insisting schools should open in January happened after the new strain had been announced

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1340975305624854535?s=20

it is absolutely ok to say "schools should be the last thing to shut, and the first things to open", but even now they can't bring themselves to actually back the teachers unions and call for all schools to stay closed, they are merely attacking the Tories for confusion and delay because they're too loving cowardly to say "hmmm actually it's clearly not safe to reopen any school at the moment"

it's just ridiculous disingenuous poo poo

Dunno why but an old Suede song comes to mind, Trash.

Anyway, I saw this dumb tweet so you can too

https://twitter.com/oldnorthroad/status/1345341397411516418?s=20

Man outraged that image of tampon makes him horny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Twitter seems convinced Keith is going to resign tomorrow, which seems like the most staggering optimism but y'know, it'd be nice to not absolutely hate Labour.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

It's probably one of those twitter jokes you're not in on like the video of the scary Airdrie guy (seriously don't search for it).

I just assume everything on Twitter is dripping in 8 layers of irony but still, notable enough even if it's made up nonsense. After all, someone posted a Daily Mail Online link in here the other day baddum tish

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Also if you read it, the headline says it would "wipe out" Tory majority and while that's technically true, they would still be the largest party by like 1 or 2 seats over Labour. Lol.

Good work Keith

20 points ahead baby!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Femi is basically Male Tweetman at this point

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

lol i read an article the other day about a guy who pumped $1.4bn into bitcoin

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1346038379960537089?s=20

For fucksake, the last time I looked it was like $7000, at some point it got to $33500? Insanity

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

They've been talking about building a massive tidal lagoon in Swansea for years, the web site says that construction is due to start in, uh, 2016, just as soon as somebody starts giving a gently caress about funding investment in green energy and/or Wales

There's also MeyGen, off the coast of John O Groats. When it's up & running it should be producing about 400MW.

ukle posted:

Boris is addressing the nation at 8pm tonight.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1346106536855302144

Cool cool, just 3 or 4 months late.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Ah ffs I need to go shopping tomorrow it's gonna be a nightmare now.

I have cheques that need to go in the bank, today was a bank holiday so tomorrow is the earliest I can go. Annoying.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19

I'd assume not because Prestwick is about as far from Glasgow as Heathrow (mild hyperbole), but you'd have to travel through Glasgow City Council, Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire & South Ayrshire council areas to get there & you're not meant to travel from council area to council area at the moment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

I gotta say, I didn't expect this to be the thread where wanting to preserve nature in the face of limitless global growth would be met with harsh hostility

We shat it. It's far too late to equivocate about climate change & hope people change their behaviour & use less power, we have to move to renewables now. Wind works & is a drat sight better than continued desertification of the Sahel regions leading to increased global food insecurity.

TheRat posted:

I live in rural western norway, and while it might be NIMBY I think it's incredibly depressing to see what it does to the nature I grew up hiking in. I find a hydropower drat much less intrusive than endless rows of giant buzzsaws

I think you should look into what goes into the construction of a dam. Obviously at the extreme end of the spectrum you've got something like the Three Gorges Dam which involved moving 1.3 million people & has caused untold damage to a variety of species from river dolphins to plants to cranes. Partly to the habitat turning into a massive loving lake, partly to things like changes to water temperature, the drat preventing fish from completing their migration or even just river creatures getting hosed up in the turbines. But all that can & does apply to dams on a smaller scale. Obviously that can be managed to some extent (Dinorwig in Wales was built to minimise the environmental impact in the Snowdonia National Park but that's costly & you know what capitalism is like) but plenty of dams do plenty damage to the environment in way that isn't comparable to wind farms ruining your walk.

I'm biased because I have always liked the look of them, there's quite a few round these parts & I don't find them ugly but even if I did, it's a necessary evil at this point.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

What do you mean by "Wind works"?

I mean every time you post I read it out loud & it generates 5GWh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

I just read an article yesterday in the Israeli FT equivalent (can't find it now and its in here anyway) that said that over the last year over half of the UK's power came from wind energy.

Vitamin P posts a lot.

(I will not let that terrible dad joke lie. It was my posting peak)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hope this means they reshow the Hollow Crown series of Shakespeare because I didn't see them when they aired but wouldn't mind giving Shakespeare another go now that the trauma of reading him in English is 20 years ago

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

stev posted:

And Trump has now told everyone to go home, after a three minute monologue about how they're doing the right thing and that their enemies are evil.

And he loves them.

I appreciate that as Britain gets worse & worse the US dedication to being number 1.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh no, I slept through Clap For Heroes, when will the police becoming for me?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/THENEWENDS/status/1347267752151691268?s=20

I posted this tweet because the response is hilarious, but the original tweet embedded with it is the actual story here. Filth absolutely overstepping their mark by a country mile.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

It's not like the police are going door-to-door though, is it? Someone on that family's block would have seen a commotion at the house, assumed they were having a party and - probably on speed-dial - called their local station, who sent officers round.

And obviously, it's upsetting for the family, but I'm sure most people feel some irritation when they see/hear about a couple of pricks in a house who decide to have all their mates round, 'cos this whole coronavirus thing is a loving con, innit? Either you accept that people are going to be cunts and break the rules, and leave it at that, or you accept that the police are going to go and investigate reports of people breaking the rules and there'll be some people who get harrassed by thick coppers.

Maybe don't be a loving narc?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its because you're just a boring poster OP.

You could get away with this stuff if you were funny, or at least entertaining in your delusions. But you're not. You're boring. We get what you're trying to do but its been done by much better posters many times before. Just stop it.

Wait, being boring is held against poster? Why didn't anyone tell me before now?

Anyway, apologise for my own tweet but she deleted the original sheepish and as I'm phone posting this is what I've got for uploading a screenshot

https://twitter.com/forkboy84/status/1347697695482380288?s=19

Twitter banning Trump far too late is apparently akin to Mandela getting out of prison.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

therattle posted:

It’s not a great tweet but it’s pretty tongue in cheek, no? I think you’re being a bit harsh on her.

Why delete it then? She's got Remainer Brain, she absolutely incapable of sincerely believing something that stupid.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I knew Jose was a man of valour who would understand she's a loon.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crayfish posted:

It does sound a bit like a star wars character though

It absolutely does. It's funny, thinking it's funny doesn't make you want to join the Third Reich.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crameltonian posted:

I admit that my initial response to Guto Bebb is 'lol that's a Star Wars name'. But as leftists surely the good thing to do is listen when members of a minority culture that's poo poo on and and mocked to this very day say 'hey it's kinda lovely when you mock us like that'.

It's not mocking the Welsh, it's mocking one particular combination of Welsh names. I'll listen to someone making the case why it's lovely but that doesn't automatically mean I'll agree with it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So what's the solution? Sounds like Welsh people change our names so that English people stop laughing at them?

This is definitely not a thing with historical prescendent amongst other nations the English have ruled.

Making fun of people from a minority culture for having weird names is the sort of thing this thread normally objects to do I really don't understand it.

My name is Cameron. It's Gaelic for crooked nose. Go off king. Or any other traditional Scottish Gaelic name. I don't mind despite it being my background. I don't really think chuckling at a name demeans the language or the culture.

It's a really dumb thing to get offended by imo (And so is comparing the Welsh to other minorities in the country). It's not demeaning the Welsh language or history or culture, it's just, Guto Bebb sounds like he hangs out at the cantina in Mos Eisley. Maybe George Lucas was influenced by Welsh for some of his aliens? Hardly outside the bounds of possibility. It's not demeaning the language, it's a silly observation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Very promising. Glad they are willing to have the conversation & hope it spurs more unions on to have it.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to disaffiliate from this though

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1348021430089347073?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 9, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As someone who does not have a family and doesn't want a family I really feel like there is a space in the political landscape for a party that doesn't give a poo poo about families.

I don't expect a party to come out against families because that would be dire politics appealing to that really annoying Facebook friend you've known since high school who is obsessed with antinatalism and letting everyone know he got the snip.

It's more the vacuousness of it all. It's so Keith. Of course he's for families, what's the alternative, a policy of taking all children from their parents? He just is incapable of standing for anything and it boils my piss.

Plus it being Keith you do sort of fear the whole "kinder kirche, küchen" vibe

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 10, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

was the fast show racist for making fun of boutros boutros ghali

Noooooooooo let's not do this again or I'll have to ask if he was Welsh and we don't want to touch that poop again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Important news

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1348039274436947970?s=20

Yes, that's Michael Gove's daughter for sure. Writing in the Sunday Mail. Normal country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eararaldor posted:

Wasn't she the daughter making TikTok’s about how much she hated being Gove’s daughter?*

*Not hated enough to ride in her parents coattails apparently.

Yes. They made her delete her TikTok. Harsh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

they have something called a 501 3 C which marks them as a charitable nonprofit organisation, which I assume covers the bases

Yeah, that's a US thing. This has to comply to UK charity laws because well, it's managed in the UK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Oh looky here it's time for the

:siren: First General Meeting of the UKMT Solidarity Fund :siren:
I will Aye on Item 1

I also don't really see any problem with the AGM or any SGM if necessary being "held" in the regular UKMT. Especially if you want to ensure the widest possible participation. But ultimately it's you Maugrim & a handful of others who are doing the hard work so if a separate thread is easier to track votes & discussion or whatever, that's really fine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I was going to go to town but it was pissing down so I put it off and now it's turned to snow which is even worse because the windows on the bus will be shut. I am never going to be able to get to the bank. World is cruel for those of us who refuse to ebank

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

What's wrong with internet banking?

I really value having a bank account that stops me from being overdrawn because I have no ability to not end up overdrawn. Which basically means the bank account I had as a kid which is ATM only is a real pain in the rear end but ultimately worth not having any mod cons to avoid running up obscene interest levels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Funny way to spell war criminal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Polly huffing them farts hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've always found it weird that people called Johnson a socially Liberal tory. The man has always been a racist, homophobic, sexist piece of poo poo

That's liberalism.