Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Shatner is a colossal Trumpian prick. Even if you hate Trek in all its form, The Captains is still a worthwhile watch because it shows him in all his glory as an oblivious narcissist freak. It's like a Christopher Guest meets David Brent meets Alan Partridge thing, and it's clear everyone he interacts with despises him. Plus he spends the whole doc shilling for Bombardier private jets in the most hilariously transparent way, it's amazing.

E: forgot it also has a scene with Avery Brooks psychologically assaulting Shatner through the medium of jazz piano, which has one of the most powerful energies of anything ever put on film

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This Twitter random seems to have captured the vibe of the Starmer rumours right now

https://twitter.com/IamJustChillin0/status/1345420230873513985?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Good boy :3:

Guavanaut posted:

I am keen to know more.

Impossible to explain more in words

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thanks for that, crystallises my views on this which i was avoiding posting about due to phone posting limitations

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yeah when the FT COVID guy, who AFAIK has been pretty level headed since March, calls a trend genuinely scary, get ready for some sub-optimal outcomes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

Well gee, too bad the current government doesn't have to call an election for another four years, and has no reason whatsoever to do so any earlier.

lmao somehow I was still thinking the next election was 2022 per FTPA, guess I hadnt updated my mental calendar there. ah well

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Incidentally this is why all superhero movies are poo poo, and I will not be taking questions on this)

you're completely right about this btw, and wrong-brained fans getting what they think they Want but not what they Need ruins almost every franchise in the end

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Recoome posted:

isn't Drax a bad guy out of a James Bond book/movie? Moonraker?

yeah Moonraker, but also Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of The Galaxy was played by the lovely Dave Bautista, who went on to be a big hench-guy in the last Bond. good opinions on twitter too i think

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Owl posted:

Ooooor he's resigning?

hes going Back To School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbTEJCoNxw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

I Think You Should Leave is also good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdYUIQzu-o

This is the only show that's given me a stomach ache from laughing in a decade or more. Probably not for everyone but it's just so idiotic it's incredible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vodkat posted:

British humour is punching down while you pretend to punch up.

British humour is punching yourself in the balls repeatedly (Brexit) while the rest of the world laughs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I remember chuckling when the idiots at /b/ rigged the poll to name the new Mountain Dew flavour Hitler Did Nothing Wrong. Seems a bit less ironic now...

Getting Pitbull to play a mall in remote Alaska was pretty unproblematically hilarious tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Thirding this. A really underappreciated gem. Me and my partner still shout PAUL BUFANO ITS PAUL BUFANO each other semi-regularly

The guy with the freak lips? He can hit the High C all night long?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My American missus said she had to move to Ireland partly because the only way she knows how to flirt is by slagging people off. American lads mostly can't handle that apparently :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have also never stabbed myself in the dick for fun but I am more likely to take this thread's advice on that than I am to voluntarily subject myself to live stand up comedy.

Much like corona vaccines, you get the results by doing one shortly followed by the other

It's not like the next generation are going to have much use for cutlery when they're foraging for grubs in the Zone

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 3, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

I have to eat off the floor out of a dog bowl. It's quite embarrassing at work.

:jackbud:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

But it's not funny though, you're just watching some prat be a prat and everyone else just knows they're a prat and the camera points at them for too long and at some point this elicits laughter in some people. There is no emotion, you are watching a thing that is not funny, or interesting, it is just there.

Turn off BBC Parliament

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But things like the Inbetweeners, the Office, Friday Night Dinner; Most of them I just can't watch because half the time the person who's the butt of the joke has done nothing wrong. Even Alan Partridge, half the time it's him taking out his inadequacies on guests, staff, other researchers.

But... those people aren't the butt of the jokes, it's always AP himself being an awful and oblivious oval office.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

How... do you eat curry with chopsticks?

Or your fingers???

Lots of naan/roti

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I've done the research about Electric v Gas v Induction.
The problem is the wife has these romantic notions of using gas cookers in her mums home and how much better it is than our electric hob.
(And she is right. The gas cooker is better than what we have now. But I don't think it is as good as a new Induction hob.)
And no amount of articles or videos will change her mind. The only thing likely to change her mind will be real world evidence.

This came up over Christmas where I bought rear Wireless LG speakers to add onto my Soundbar to turn it into a 5.1.2 sound system.

Before I got it, she complained that it was a waste of money and would do nothing.

Five minutes into watching Midnight Sky on Netflix with the new sound system she admits that she was wrong.

I persuaded 'Er Indoors on an induction hob for the new gaff. Part of it was compromising on it being a super-pricey Smeg job (apparently their cookers are good but their fridges are poo poo), and tbf it looks well nice and is Which?-approved. Also got a €30 induction tabletop hob for while our kitchen was demolished during renovations, and within a day she was persuaded that even that piece of poo poo was better than our previous cooker.

The next battle is an OLED TV. I need those blacker-than-blacks. No racism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I am currently engaged in a protracted OLED war. Even putting aside the obvious facts (a seven year old 42 inch LCD TV is not sufficient for a Playstation 5.) I am trying to open up a new front in the war by using arguments about couch distances from TV's and how 55 Inches is the minimum sized set you should be using these days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

"benefits of 720p starts to become noticable" lmao ok

Charts a bit old but whatever. The real benefit of a big TV is it makes you feel like a Big Man I guess :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

I have a 65 inch TV and I do not need to be 6 feet away to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. And I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at 12 feet.

The graph suggests you need to be about 4ft away

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just fired up my 65" OLED TV to watch Keir Starmer on Sky News and he looks like a useless piece of poo poo. Which setting do I turn off to correct this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also thanks thread, I bought $200 of BTC back in the summer for the purposes of :catdrugs: and left the remainder in my wallet - checking now I have an extra $500 in there.

Getting paid to do drugs - I can highly recommend it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

Turn on your monitor

But...I just did :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Yeah, the way that people talked about him- as this successful lawyer who can speak confidently with forensic (lol) detail, looks good in a suit and exudes competence. I can kind of see why that would appeal to people as a Labour leader in 2020. But then you watch a video of him and its like: Him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IyaqurmGE

He was always exuding something, but upon upgrading to 4K HD it turned out not to be competence

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol.

I was worried he wasn't gonna get a Pointless answer but he got there in the end

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol that song is just a long form UKMT post, wonderful

E:

hes right you know, I get pissed off every time I see the Butchers' Apron

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah it's NIMBY as gently caress

sorry that your nice hikes are having to take second place to the hundreds of millions of people who'll be flooded out of their homes if sea levels continue to rise, I guess

:hmmyes:

Not to mention, I find giant windfarms beautiful, both on an aesthetic and human level. They're one of the few kinds of large-scale building projects that doesn't stoke the species-shame I feel constantly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a shame we can't/don't have wind turbines made of some kind of organic material that could encourage the growth of epiphytes and form its own ecological niche. I'm sure there's a lot of reasons not to do this - like those materials not existing, and structural/tensile strength, and durability, but still the concept gives me a Kim Stanley Robinson vibe and I want the eco-future before I am an old man goddammit!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

Oh isn't it just lovely

That is actually beautiful, sorry about your brain-wrong

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

this is 100% because OP lives near some hills but not any lakes or rivers

I just looked at a map of Norway and that's probably not true

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

The big tower in the middle's for focusing the collective power of the panels like a gigantic laser beam, right? Don't disappoint me!

Now witness the awesome power of this fully operational solar farm! :shopkeeper:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

Why are you all focusing on wind turbines on hills anyway. Offshore wind is where it's at. Just build gently caress off massive wind turbine clusters off shore in the windy seas and we all good. Build some nuclear plants for your base load too and you have a green, sustainable mix. Maybe a couple of back up 'clean' (yes I know it's not completely clean) gas, just in case for those cold wintery days of surge energy.

And for the sake of fairness, we should recognise that the UK actually has a pretty good and progressive energy mix, that is getting better every year.

By far the coolest part of watching Tenet was the epic offshore wind farm shots.

The second coolest thing was going to the cinema during a pandemic to see an utterly confused sci-fi Bond movie/watch ad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Hasn’t solar come on leaps and bounds recently, to the point where it’s actually cheaper than fossil fuels? Not that it’s a great option in this country though.

Many renewables have been cheaper than fossil fuel extraction in the West for some time, if you removed subsidies

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

EDIT: When I was 29, I had to take a poo poo in a train station flower bed.

A New Loafer, like the prophecies said!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boris' bullshit bingo card:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

The technology exists for both transmitter and receiver but unfortunately brendan o neil only has 1 forehead.

Big if True

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

"but for now... I'm afraid"

Yeah thought that was pretty regrettable wording. Overall probably the right message, just a shame it took the best part of a hundred thousand corpses and a Made In Britain mutant to get there