Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
"I wish I could have another 60 years making terminal cancer patients last days more hellish"
- IDS 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

"No one could have done any better" says worst-performing country in the world.

'Best system in the world' if you ignore every other country's advanced tech solution that was already in place months ago

VVV drat you

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 2, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Captain Keir and The Covidyashi Snafu

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I find Boaty McBoatFace genuinely hilarious, but the claim that it's some uniquely British piece of humour is just loving bizarre to me, and I'm fairly certain I've seen other countries sabotage polls with silly names and claim it as something unique to their humour. What culture doesn't love silly wordplay?

I would say it is sort of British in the way its satirizing the tradition of boat naming. What should be named a majestic or inspirational title, to honor someone who died doing a great service, or something like a city or place name.

Silly wordplay can ruin things. It turned Mock the Week to poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

All UK media is bizzaro like this atm.
Go watch Sky News right now, wait for the bit about schools. and watch them interview 7 year old kids on a beach about the schools returning.
Absolute madness.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

It’s not just watching someone be a prat though - characters like Brent and Partridge are caricatures of the those types of men and I’d bet most people can see reflections of others in them.

Just after The Office got big, the BBC did a real documentary about a real life Brent called The Armstrongs.

Here is the full series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pss6RPtENPI

There are parts that are surreal. People accused them all being actors.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It's now Brexit you idiots.
We now eat our food like God and the Queen intended, in yesterday's newspaper.
Salt and vinegar optional.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tesla was right posted:

The UK Stand-up comedy circuit has a huge problem that most of the acts are cis straight white men who ignore when one of their number is a sex pest, in addition to the default comedy set being "My girlfriend/wife is annoying".

I managed to luck into finding a socially-responsible and deliberately diverse comedy club, though, and it became a staple of my week.

Out of curiosity, who are the sex pests and where are the accounts or news about them?
I can believe it happening, just never heard of any UK comedians doing it. US sure, but none here.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

*checking*
Phew not on it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

when you think about it, are we not all time travellers...?

:350:

We all can, at 1 second per second.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Some items on Amazon UK already have stopped being sent to Ireland directly.
I have one account, but I buy stuff for my family home in NI, and my current home in the Republic.
So I can show what a friend in Ireland had this happen to him.

He would order some kimchee noodle cups as he loves them from the amazon.co.uk site.
Last bought just before christmas. He was looking to buy more, but seems they just stopped.

Here is what I can see on the page:

If I ship to my NI home:

And to Ireland:

And if I click on the Buying Options its another 20 euro charge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Sample of the new BBC Education programs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_dIsnDJGk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

"Elequis has significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment" Holy poo poo. Can't wait for those ads once they've killed the NHS.

That's the same drug I was given for a heart problem I had back in June.
Basically my heart was beating 140bpm all the time, so they were going to shock it. But cant shock it for 6 weeks due to a possible clot already in the heart.
So they put me on that for 6 weeks to thin the blood gradually.
Sounds like its a poo poo instant blood thinner, but it has it uses in some situations like mine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely, I don't mean to suggest that it's not clinically beneficial, but I'm willing to entrust the decision on whether such a serious medication is "right for me" to the health service. It's just bizarre to hear "significantly less major bleeding" in an advert.

I get what you mean.
I wonder if Americans know like a list of drugs for each part of their body or function.
And do you think any has gone to their doctor and asked to swap over their current medication to the ad one, simply on how the ad looked.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

The empire doesn't live here anymore. :munch:

Not since Thatcher was thrown down into the Death Star Core.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Olpainless posted:

My grandma passed early this morning.

gently caress covid.

Sorry to hear

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Subway may be hurting in Ireland at the moment.
Here in Cork City, my local Subway has a sign up saying 'some ingredients may not be available due to Brexit'.
I asked about it, and they said this was wasn't affected but were told to put it up just in case.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've seen people stand around chatting in supermarkets and getting in the way and it should be banned forever not just during pandemics, you're in the way of my beans!!

They used to call the groups of pensioners outside the Post Office in my area a 'Old Biddy Ring'.
Gossiping away waiting to draw out their pension.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Nick Ferrari on LBC at the moment defending the idea that the police should use kid spies to find drug dealers.
Haven't laughed like this in a few weeks, totally batshit amazing.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 19, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
In a nervous kids voice "Hello, are you Mad Dog Mackers? I want to buy a few kilos of coke please."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-diplomats-idUSKBN29Q0U3

quote:

The BBC reported that the Foreign Office was refusing to grant the same diplomatic status and privileges to EU ambassador Joao Vale de Almeida and his team as it gives to envoys of countries, on the basis that the EU is not a nation state.

The Foreign Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The European Commission, the 27-member bloc’s executive body, said the EU’s 143 delegations around the world had all been granted a status equivalent to that of diplomatic missions of states, and Britain was well aware of the fact.

Just watched some Brexiteer gloat this was a great strike against the evil EU.

But can't the EU turn around and say the same thing as the UK is not a nation state itself?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You organize the party at the local hospital car park.
That way you cant be fined, and just wander in and out of the hospital you have a easier risk of getting it.
Just look out for the coughing people and sit beside them and start huffing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

And licorice belongs in the bin.

Miftan posted:

100% agree.
A low bar to clear, to be fair.

That's because you are eating the poo poo Licorice Allsorts, the cardboard of licorice.

A workmate brought in some licorice Turkish Pepper a few years ago, and poo poo it is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gort posted:

I like Quorn hotdogs, they're virtually identical to meat ones with the advantage that they're not made of hooves and hair

Prefer Linda McCartney ones myself.
The Quorn hotdog has a tiny cooking range of 'not nearly yet done' and 'oh poo poo its drier than a Sahari flip flop'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
200k dead in 3-4 months?
Looking forward to Boris spread out naked in front of the fire.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
lol its taken until now for the UK govt to say that going on holiday is not a valid form of travel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Our helldesk guys are so paranoid about us using anything that may allow remote code injection we end up using excel for a lot of small tools.
Leading to what would be reasonably quick javascript/python stufff taking minutes as poo poo loads and processes on excel.
And they won't make our tools as that would mean they would have to maintain them and so who's paying for that?
Some of our excel tools are 10 years old.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It's pack nature in essence.
You will never get rid of the built in necessity of the human mentality of pack ordering and such.
There will always being internal posturing to be alpha or whatever, here in the form of putting each other down with joke insults or such.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I am glad I haven't ever had any male friends tbh, it sounds crap.

I killed all mine.
To show dominance.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

The morale boosting visit of Boris Johnson everybody

https://twitter.com/AlanBrownSNP/status/1355841938549846018?s=20

Boris did this before, or was it May.
I remember some company peons were told to wait and not do anything for hours, and then Boris or May came along, talked to the company head for a few minutes, then hosed off.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I apologize in advance.

I am sure he will walk it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Apraxin posted:

Not gonna inflict an actual Mail link on the thread, but in their reveling over the EU vaccine u-turn today (another brilliant vindication of Bulldog Boris's Brexit Blinder), they actually call it 'Boris's Falklands Moment'.

Just completely loving diseased.

All the Gammon Youtube channel commentators are over gloating about it too.

Farage did a 1 year brexit anniversary vid today too, and the comments are either bots designed to incite or there are some really oblivious people.