Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TACD posted:

This sounds like a good description of ‘electability’

PM in waiting.

I.e. not actually DOING anything, just patiently waiting his turn.

E: 40 is roughly the percentage of the british electorate qwhich will apparently always vote for their own pain.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Endjinneer posted:

There is something in sticking to what you're good at and buying in everything that you aren't.
The flip sides are that staff in lower skilled jobs have much less opportunity e.g. your badger licenser can't work their way up the organisation to be a planning officer because they aren't in the same organisation.
And also the salami-slice attitude to responsibility that's doing to the construction industry what CDOs did to the banks in 2008. See- Grenfell.

In my specific example badger licences are handed out by the commission themselves but as they no longer want to take responsibility for things going wrong, it's now on the contractor to find any and all setts on sites on behalf of the landowner (the commission) and report it to the authorities (the commission) rather than it being part of the duties of (the commission's) supervising contract managers. This means that every contractor needs to devote man hours and expertise to a problem separately when it used to be handled by centralised expertise.

What is actually happening is small contractors are falling out of the industry due to added demands and a few giants are taking over the greatest share of the market. On its own the badgers thing is pretty minor in practice, it's just a hassle drawing up maps and getting a signature from person a to authorise us to apply to person b for a licence when they might even sit across a desk from one another. But it's not on its own and its new stuff all the time being passed along.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kieths plan is literally to wait for the tories to gently caress up real bad, like maybe boris announces that they need maybe 150k coffins for all the dead people from covid so keith can swoop go "ACTUALLY I THINK 75k IS AN ACCEPTABLE NUMBER" and get roundly clapped by the big brain centrists playing for the middle ground, because the correct acceptable answer is 0.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ah yea, that one too. Not had that one happen to me before.
I think it descends from the old old way of doing it, where you, an importer (because who else would be buying from beyond seas), would have a Pitney Bowes account to keep your franking machine topped up and so may as well just have them settle any other costs with the postmaster. The modern iteration is ticking a "yeah they can charge my card VAT and poo poo" box during an international purchase.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So are HMRC still going to intercept my boxes of plastic shite and send me a bill for 20%+ a massive gently caress off admin fee or are they just going to let them all go through because in theory whichever Chinese knockoff outfit I bought them from should be cutting them that 20% cheque any day now?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah I think so, exactly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jiggerypokery posted:

I think that's the quote shatner got from his accountant to do the paperwork for him

Ah I thought it was a fee that had to be paid.

Still it's a significant extra cost.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most small internet shops seem to be using shopify or bigcommerce, then woocommerce or similar with payment gateways for the larger ones, so I imagine after a few months of complete confusion shopify will announce a seamless "sort brit vat poo poo" module and stripe etc. will follow suit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Most small internet shops seem to be using shopify or bigcommerce, then woocommerce or similar with payment gateways for the larger ones, so I imagine after a few months of complete confusion shopify will announce a seamless "sort brit vat poo poo" module and stripe etc. will follow suit.

With how HMRC want this to work I don't think Shopify will be able to offer anything more than a data dump for you to work out your tax return on. Which they basically do already in that you can have it export the info organised by countries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They wouldn't be offering much different to the Pitney Bowes "figure out this poo poo for me" service that's been around for many decades, just through a payment processor or ecommerce provider rather than a liaison with the post office, so I suppose it depends what happens when "how HMRC want this to work" meets observable reality. It's going to suck rear end in the intermediate term either way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Buy Chris Whitty His Own Next Slide Please Clicker

https://www.gofundme.com/f/buy-chris-whitty-his-own-next-slide-please-clicker

quote:

One of the biggest embarrassments for the United Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic has been the fact that our Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty has been forced to ask someone else to move his slides on for him. This is why I am raising money to send him one of those little Bluetooth clicky things you get on Amazon.

With his own means of advancing PowerPoints in place, I can foresee the following benefits for both Professor Whitty and the UK government as a whole:

- Professor Whitty would be able to 'take back control' of his own press briefings.

....etc etc

UPDATE: As I have now raised more than £4.99, I am pleased to confirm that I will be using any additional funds to purchase basic IT equipment for disadvantaged children in Essex - this is even more vital now seeing that this latest lockdown could stretch to February half-term and beyond! A significant number of children could be 'left behind' if they do not have the facility to undertake remote learning at home, so please continue to give generously and I will shortly approach an organisation representing the interests of food banks and community organisations across Essex to see how these funds would be best spent. It could be a little, or it could be a lot, so please share as much as you can! Thank you.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/05/bbc-educational-cbbc-uk-covid-lockdown-curriculum

quote:

A significant expansion of BBC educational programming for children is to be launched in response to the latest UK lockdowns and school closures that are expected to continue for the foreseeable future.

Amid concerns that large numbers of children without access to remote learning are losing out, the BBC said that the biggest education offer in its history was designed to ensure that all children can access curriculum-based learning without the internet.

Broadcasting from Monday each weekday on CBBC – which is aimed at children aged between 7 and 16 – it will include a three-hour block of primary school programming from 9am.

Programming will include BBC Live Lessons and BBC Bitesize Daily, as well as Our School and Celebrity Supply Teacher and older programming such as Horrible Histories, Art Ninja and Operation Ouch.

The broadcaster said BBC Two would cater for secondary school students with programming to support the GCSE curriculum, with a least two hours of content each weekday.

Content will be built around secondary school shows produced for Bitesize Daily, the BBC’s summer term service, it added, and will be complemented by Shakespeare, classic drama adaptations as well as science, history and other items.

This seems like a decent idea tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So theyre putting blackadder on bbc2 everyday and calling it a history lesson?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hope this means they reshow the Hollow Crown series of Shakespeare because I didn't see them when they aired but wouldn't mind giving Shakespeare another go now that the trauma of reading him in English is 20 years ago

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm hoping for the triumphant return of El Nombre.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sample of the new BBC Education programs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_dIsnDJGk

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Robert Webb was very thin wasn't he.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sebzilla posted:

I'm hoping for the triumphant return of El Nombre.

Writing numbers in the desert sand!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Hope this means they reshow the Hollow Crown series of Shakespeare because I didn't see them when they aired but wouldn't mind giving Shakespeare another go now that the trauma of reading him in English is 20 years ago

I felt like I had truly gotten in touch with my inner English teacher when I found myself laughing at Shakespeare, watching Tom Hiddleton do an impression of Jeremy Irons.

I've been watching some of the coverage of the Georgia runoff elections tonight on American TV, and of course that means being subjected to their ads. Never in my life have I been more glad this poo poo doesn't fly here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONE0bMfdBi0

"Elequis has significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment" Holy poo poo. Can't wait for those ads once they've killed the NHS.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

"Elequis has significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment" Holy poo poo. Can't wait for those ads once they've killed the NHS.

That's the same drug I was given for a heart problem I had back in June.
Basically my heart was beating 140bpm all the time, so they were going to shock it. But cant shock it for 6 weeks due to a possible clot already in the heart.
So they put me on that for 6 weeks to thin the blood gradually.
Sounds like its a poo poo instant blood thinner, but it has it uses in some situations like mine.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

When I were a wee lassie in the 1960s, our school had a tv and they had something called Merry Go Round - it was on in the mornings and each class got to see it once or twice a week - on which was all sorts of interesting history and other documentaries aimed at kiddiewinks. One that gave me nightmares was about little boys in the Victorian era being forced to climb up chimneys to clean them and dying of suffocation up them. Doubt they'd show that to 6 year olds these days!

Just did a bit of a google OMG "Time and Tune" and we used to have these pamphlets which smelled lovely to sing along with. I remember a song about a brontasaurus and another about 'donkey riding' which the teacher explained was about the railways coming to America.

Seems some of that stuff still happens!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/gcse-a-level-exams-england-b1782870.html

England follows Wales & Scotland in cancelling GCSE and A-level exams.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

That's the same drug I was given for a heart problem I had back in June.
Basically my heart was beating 140bpm all the time, so they were going to shock it. But cant shock it for 6 weeks due to a possible clot already in the heart.
So they put me on that for 6 weeks to thin the blood gradually.
Sounds like its a poo poo instant blood thinner, but it has it uses in some situations like mine.

Oh, yeah, absolutely, I don't mean to suggest that it's not clinically beneficial, but I'm willing to entrust the decision on whether such a serious medication is "right for me" to the health service. It's just bizarre to hear "significantly less major bleeding" in an advert.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely, I don't mean to suggest that it's not clinically beneficial, but I'm willing to entrust the decision on whether such a serious medication is "right for me" to the health service. It's just bizarre to hear "significantly less major bleeding" in an advert.

I get what you mean.
I wonder if Americans know like a list of drugs for each part of their body or function.
And do you think any has gone to their doctor and asked to swap over their current medication to the ad one, simply on how the ad looked.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly I'd wager that's the entire point!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bets on BBC educational programming becoming a new front in the culture wars?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tarnop posted:

Bets on BBC educational programming becoming a new front in the culture wars?

I won't even take your money on that bet. It'll be trending on twitter the moment a host who isn't white appears.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kin posted:

beginning to wonder if that's Keith's long game strategy. Basically, spend 4 years sounding
Big if true.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I won't even take your money on that bet. It'll be trending on twitter the moment a host who isn't white appears.

FTFY. There is absolutely no choice that won’t be controversial because the cultural divide is already real and strong and not remotely our friend.

E: and because Twitter sucks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Big if true.

:laffo:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1346047029609426947?s=20

Bet it won't stop the Tories.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I were a wee lassie in the 1960s, our school had a tv and they had something called Merry Go Round - it was on in the mornings and each class got to see it once or twice a week - on which was all sorts of interesting history and other documentaries aimed at kiddiewinks. One that gave me nightmares was about little boys in the Victorian era being forced to climb up chimneys to clean them and dying of suffocation up them. Doubt they'd show that to 6 year olds these days!

Just did a bit of a google OMG "Time and Tune" and we used to have these pamphlets which smelled lovely to sing along with. I remember a song about a brontasaurus and another about 'donkey riding' which the teacher explained was about the railways coming to America.

Seems some of that stuff still happens!

Were you ever in Quebec, stowing timbers on the deck, where there's a king in a golden crown, riding on a donkey. HEY HO away we go...

Can remember singing that at school in the early 80s, can't remember if it was when they used to wheel the big tv into class though. (Although i vaguely remember some program about a peregrin falcon or something being shown on that.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

🎵 Star of wonder, star of light
Sit on a box of dynamite
Light the fuse and away you go
Around the world to Mexico 🎶

(Realise the conversation wasn’t exactly about hymns in school but that still came to mind for some reason)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Drone_Fragger posted:

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/shipping

Here’s an example, literally “we can sell to everyone but not the brits”

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1316887009198141441

William Shatner even pops up to say “uh yeah poo poo sorry folks I can’t sell to you either, bear me up outta the U.K. scotty”

I did show this to my boss and we both agreed they can't actually enforce it, so gently caress 'em and sold some stuff to a UK customer with vat 0%.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
auld king bully had a six fut wully so he showed it till the wuman nixt door
she thought it was a snake
so she hit it wi a rake
and now it's ony five fut four

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Big if True

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I am all for making kids watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hknL8dubtM

It'd be considerably better for them than this poo poo that passed for kids edutainment when I was a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkuiHZH4zI

Obligatory Charlie Brooker take on Mr. Noseybonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58i_zjTFNI0

(And I'm sure everyone knows this but the man behind the mask in the "and knife you" bit was king of sofa-based tat reviews Stuart Ashen, who obtained the original Mr. Noseybonk mask through means that are possibly best left unsaid)

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
This is a few pages back but I'm convinced six sigma/agile etc are pretty much just middle management scams. Having seen some six sigma training its just common sense stuff?? with numbers?? and then they charge you 5k??? and they call themselves blackbelts? also I'm pretty sure in some places scrum is a euphemism for butthole.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it'd be a silver lining to this shite if the BBC brought back the Learning Zone (:rip:) :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Butternubs posted:

This is a few pages back but I'm convinced six sigma/agile etc are pretty much just middle management scams. Having seen some six sigma training its just common sense stuff?? with numbers?? and then they charge you 5k??? and they call themselves blackbelts? also I'm pretty sure in some places scrum is a euphemism for butthole.

You'd be surprised how much common sense appears indistinguishable from magic to people raised on "that's how we've always done it" orthodoxy