Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In no uncertain terms 2020 was a uniquely bad year, but looking forward to 2021 I felt like it was a good time to swap heartwarming and positive gaming stories. You know the kind.

So, let's not mince words too much and get into it, shall we?

As for me, I managed to get back onto the gaming wagon as a GM properly in 2020. Once lockdown was in full force I ended up expanding my horizons and fumbling through all manner of gaming groups and game systems, managed to work in a kind of silly amount of words about megadungeon stuff, and all in all managed to run games for more than 10 distinct groups of people (not all at once, but when things were fully active, it was definitely one game a night, two on the weekends). It reminded me that there are so many people out there looking for adventure and a good time, or just want to feel powerful making the best head choppinest character they possibly could in whatever system and game allowed that. In some small way, I feel like that the words of encouragement I got as a GM meant that the games I was running meant something to those 30+ people that I ran it for, however briefly.

I also got to reconnect with one of my oldest gaming buddies from my childhood and am now running/playing games with him too on a regular basis. Hooray!

That said, how about y'all? Get a favorite new set of dice? Managed to successfully move from offline to online play? Introduced someone new to this wild and wooly hobby? Awesome new board game? Share 'em here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I actually managed to take part in an entire campaign start to finish for the second time in my life. It's something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Somehow, I'm doing work for Massif Press on Lancer.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i managed to deal with my anxiety with playing rpgs and managed to start playing games again

:unsmith:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

I actually managed to take part in an entire campaign start to finish for the second time in my life. It's something.

That's a rare accomplishment in the wide gaming world, to be honest! Did you have a favorite part?

Kai Tave posted:

Somehow, I'm doing work for Massif Press on Lancer.

That's definitely a twist of fate, isn't it? I can think of at least one time where extremely silly edge cases required poking Pilot NET for at least one custom SITREP I was running, which I really ought to compile into an expanded list in the next month or two! I hope you're having a good time.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i managed to deal with my anxiety with playing rpgs and managed to start playing games again

:unsmith:

That's a big :hellyeah: from me, friend, welcome back to the games

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I got into miniature Napoleonic wargames for the first time in 25+ years and lost a lot of battles, won some and learnt how to play Field of Glory Napoleonic (badly). Got my army ordered and almost ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

That's a rare accomplishment in the wide gaming world, to be honest! Did you have a favorite part?

It was a mix of solid times, really. The peak was probably exploring an abandoned space habitat tracking down a weird-as-gently caress alien spreading nanomachine like tracks across it, and figuring out where an entire hab's population went. Very good pair of sessions for social play, some combat, some investigating, weird psychic powers...