Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/29/01

Brenda Starr 11/17-19/47

Smokey Stover 4/29/45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Corky's sister seems a right good laugh, doesn't she? Oh dear. It's Corky's dad I want to know about though. How has he paid for that £5 million house? I think that might be a story for another day. Yes yes, maybe it is Mrs Corky's money, but were that the case I feel she could have found herself a less schlubby hubby.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

This Kwanzaa story definitely ran before but I don't care because the artwork is really nice and I don't remember how it ends

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Confession: I skipped Valiant until the America arc caught my eye. This was clearly the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life and if there's a convenient album for what's been posted so far I will love you forever if you link it.

It's just fantastic. It's funny, it treats everyone in the strip as actual people, the art is phenominal, and the odd bit of old-timey sexism can be excused when the women in it kick so much rear end.

Kazinsal posted:

Check your PMs.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want to thank everyone who posts comics, even the bad ones, because we need the poo poo with the awesome.

And Prince Val is seriously the best and I want to get the collection but I fear I'd need to rob a bank.

I'm afraid I don't have an Imgur gallery for Valiant. When I started posting it, I decided not to collect them like that as I wanted to encourage anyone who had the money to buy the Fantagraphics collections for themselves. Hal Foster is dead, so I don't feel like I'm robbing the artist by posting these strips, but while I am aware the whole set costs hundreds of dollars, the people at Fantagraphics did an incredible job arranging and coloring them compared to previous collections.

That said, Haifisch, if whatever Kazinsal PMed you about doesn't satisfy your need, PM me and maybe something can be arranged. Alternately you can look through this thread and the last one for my posts.

coronatae posted:

This Kwanzaa story definitely ran before but I don't care because the artwork is really nice and I don't remember how it ends

Yeah I think I remember this one too, although I also forgot how it ends. So far everyone is being kind of a jerk, with the three women conspiring to rob their neighbor being obviously lovely, but the one maiden also not bothering to share even though there's a drought on or whatever.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 09, 1949)

Next week: :success:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

Well, I feel seen

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

These two were good! I'm curious how long this strip can pull off this gimmick.

I don't mean that in a bad way. Andertoons has the PowerPoint gimmick that it has gotten tons of mileage out of.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I mean even I can smell that.

Rex Morgan MD

You know what would be an actual good story here? If Rene really has a reason to believe he came up with these characters. Like Sarah didn't intentionally steal them, but they resemble something they made together when he was teaching her. The Morgans learn something about prejudging before seeing evidence, Rene gets a little payout, and everyone's happy.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Why doesn't the exterminator just lie and say he removed the bee hive and take the money

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommonShore posted:

Why doesn't the exterminator just lie and say he removed the bee hive and take the money

Because he's a Captain Planet villain who is feeling cheated of the opportunity to kill things.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double LOA edition)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 30, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Thanks for the feedback post, Some Guy TT. Always good to know that folks are still paying attention.

Mutts

I had to.

As for the bush... well I had to Liefeld Ed's feet because he didn't have any.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

If this ends with their ship sinking like the Titanic (hell, Estelle can even survive on a floating door while Wilbur drowns), I will forgive everything else about this stupid storyline.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Does the dog in Footrot Flats have a name? He sure has been trapped in dangerous situations lately.
His name is Dog. No, really.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dog does have a name, but it is censored in every strip it appears because he hates it. The only person who uses it is Wal's aunt.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

You know what would be an actual good story here? If Rene really has a reason to believe he came up with these characters. Like Sarah didn't intentionally steal them, but they resemble something they made together when he was teaching her. The Morgans learn something about prejudging before seeing evidence, Rene gets a little payout, and everyone's happy.

Remember when I wrote about Classic Blondie being infuriating to Depression-era readers the other day? It just occurred to me that Rex Morgan today is inspiring the exact sort of enmity, in that its depicting problems that are almost impossible to relate to.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huh. You know I always assumed when Retail started from the beginning again we'd see the actual progression of this relationship but the boyfriend appears to have just moved in with Marla with no fanfare. Now I'm wondering whether her getting married and later pregnant will also be treated with a similar shrug.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

By popular request text not appearing in thought bubbles or setting boxes in Cheer Up Boss Dharma will now be translated in the margins.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

I see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm feeling it.

Look, guys, it's okay that Bernice is an rear end in a top hat! She tells it like it is! Sometimes people really need to hear about how stupid they are!

(I've been saying all week that Luann clearly doesn't know what being a teacher involves, but I'm not her friend. Were I her friend I'd still advise her that she might not enjoy teaching and might want to look for some other work involving kids, but I wouldn't phrase it as "you'd be a lovely teacher because you're dumb.")

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair to (ugh) Bernice here, there are lots of ways to be smart that aren't "academic" but academics is what school teachers teach (not entirely, but it's part of it)

She didn't actually say Luann was dumb, at all.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Wait, what therapy clients? Isn't Bernice still in school? She's not a loving licensed therapist!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pyroclastic posted:

Wait, what therapy clients? Isn't Bernice still in school? She's not a loving licensed therapist!

She's talking future tense. I'm not sure what to think about this so far, I mean its dumb but it seems like it might actually be a major event? Well, major for Luann, anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter - you can tell it's a flashback from Chako's hairstyle

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Man, if there was a drought going on and one of my neighbors had a magic water jug and was keeping it all for themselves, I'd steal that poo poo too.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Abusive Workplace

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My school has an early childhood education degree. That would be perfect for Luann. Of course that would mean the writers would have to research what degrees are out there.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Of course Luann doesn't just like kids or enjoy spending time with them, she has a rare gift for working with children.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Encyclopedia Brown taught me trees don't grow like that. :colbert:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Samovar posted:

Ta for the words of encouragement - haven't felt this chuffed online since I was told folk actually liked my voice-acting.

Blueberry! While it is a pretty good rollicking adventure story - and having listened to Dogs Must Die podcast, I admit it does remind me a but of JoJo in the problem-solving and tricking people plots. I hope people don't mind my editorial approach as opposed to the literalist approach (since it definitely was editorialized when translated to Swedish). I can assure you that the story is pretty much the same (except when I feel that it has to be addressed, e.g. Jim not being shot, but the gunmen simply not noticing, or Blueberry giving a solitary gently caress for the well-being or appreciation of Alistair, and then I will draw attention to the changes as well as my reasonings for them), and it has been good help for my Swedish vocab. If only it could help with my pronunciation...

Sax Rohmer-esque

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy Blueberry, and your translations are professional-level, and I'm not just saying that because you got me hooked on Corto Maltese. (My birthday is coming up and I may just have to treat myself to a collection or two) The dialogue sounds very natural, I appreciate that you're striving to translate the tone as well as the words, and you do a remarkable job

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dustin's New Years resolution or wish should be:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 19, 1934)

Peanuts (December 30, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 1, 1938)

Out Our Way, starring the thread's favorite overachiever. (December 20-22, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (July 4-6, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Chickens Come Home To Roost (November 28, 1913)

Little Lefty (November 4-6, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (June 22-24, 1931)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Skelley's loving lucky Dustin's horrid-rear end sister will forever be in high school because that fucker will never have to write about the reality of over-educated people crashing even worse than regular people on the job market

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about NuNancy, "There are six horses" is gag of the year easy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "472 - Jucika, As A Ski Coach"

"473 - Jucika, As A Wrecker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Murdstone posted:

Of course Luann doesn't just like kids or enjoy spending time with them, she has a rare gift for working with children.

so?