Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I feel like Kelley has to have gotten this from a novelty plaque you put on your wall. Probably has a picture of grapes on it. Or a wine bottle. Or that one cartoon old lady. I guess it depends on where on the fanciness spectrum the plaque owner places themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A 19-year old female what?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

a 19-year old female female

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm kind of impressed that Rex Morgan ever gets even a chuckle out of me but the swear jar gag and the set-up for the con artist guy sneaking in to try to trademark "generic cute dogs" designs is good. If the Morgans are terminally boring upper middle class people then make the jokes from there.

Mark Trail is currently doing what it does best but it's "antagonist 100% sees protagonist doing something they can give them trouble for, fails to do so" again. Ernest was physically there and saw it happen. They don't have to accuse Cherry of saving the bee hive. Maybe not legally binding but getting her away from the country club is a slam dunk unless Violet suddenly grows some more morals.

I'm more baffled that Luann thinks it will be so difficult to finish her degree and apply exclusively to preschools and elementary schools.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like Kelley has to have gotten this from a novelty plaque you put on your wall. Probably has a picture of grapes on it. Or a wine bottle. Or that one cartoon old lady. I guess it depends on where on the fanciness spectrum the plaque owner places themselves.

bernice you spent 2 weeks having a panic attack because a guy you think is attractive talked to you

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shugojin posted:

you'd be treated somehow even worse if you did that job, coop

This is the reality of video game testing, sans nutrient-rich sludge.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is the reality of video game testing, sans nutrient-rich sludge.

This is very unrealistic.

Imagine getting a 3-wall cube and not sitting in a line on an open table.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Potsticker posted:

Hu-mon?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Greetings, fellow translator goon :) You do great work. Blueberry is a cool as hell Western adventure strip, and I'm honestly surprised we don't have more of those in American newspaper comic form. The genre was certainly popular enough. I also wouldn't worry too much about racisms or cultural insensitivity if I were you. The story's been quite consistent in portraying the Indians as reasonable people with reasonable motives, which is what really matters.

I can think of quite a few Western adventure newspaper strips from the Golden Age of Westerns, and we've seen a few in Popular Comics. The problem is, I can't think of one that wasn't cliched poo poo.

I've read that Whiteboy (later retitled Whiteboy in Skull Valley) was, despite its alarming title, pretty good, but I haven't read enough of it to form a judgement.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so.. the colorist thought that was a snowman because the punchline was in the next day's joke but then :effort:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Daniel Libeskind or Frank Gehry, who's your favourite? As longtime readers may have worked out, Shauna already has her own ideas about the world's leading architects.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

What even is this? It's complete static noise.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Good news! Game testers are just warm bodies! You can 100% get a game testing job with little to no qualifications! It's also possible you'll get paid the same or slightly less than retail.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

End chapter 4!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Thanks for the feedback post, Some Guy TT. Always good to know that folks are still paying attention.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 18, 1934)

Peanuts (December 28, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 16-18, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (July 1-3, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Insurance Hustle (November 27, 1913)

CW: Little Lefty is doing a racial prejudice story, and to get things off to a (literally) running start, the villains of this piece drop A Very Special Word That I Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Using. Hopefully it's pretty clear by now where Del and The Daily Worker stand on racial justice, but caution spoilers are still being deployed. (October 31-November 2, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (June 18-20, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 30, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Just casually referring to myself as my husband's mom, don't mind me

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Doomykins posted:

"471 - Jucika And Gambling"

I feel like I'm missing an idiom or something here. A black cat being unlucky I get, but what's with pulling a piglet's tail?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hobnob posted:

I feel like I'm missing an idiom or something here. A black cat being unlucky I get, but what's with pulling a piglet's tail?

Pigs in general have long been considered a symbol of wealth and fortune in a lot of central European countries; I don't know of anything specific about pulling their tails, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChaCha doesn't have a censor deer :ohdear:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Pigs in general have long been considered a symbol of wealth and fortune in a lot of central European countries; I don't know of anything specific about pulling their tails, though.

A bit of searching suggests that Hungarians consider it good luck to pull a piglet's tail on New Year's Eve; people commonly serve pork, particularly roast suckling pig, on NYE. So you've got a day to go out and get yourself a piglet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I have no one to envy. I envy you having me to envy. - Duke Phillips

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

you think Olive reads Chako

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 30, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Flag code says you take it down in the dark or bad weather if it isn't illuminated, he should have known there was something wrong.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa, with Lix being a loving creep so heads-up there

Also, Lix being a loving dumbass.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Ehhh gonna cut this short here. Thoughtful summations for literally every strip in the thread are quite tiring! Would much appreciate if someone else would take up some of the slack.
OK but with shameless repeats additional perspectives on some of the ones you posted.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze
I liked this for the week-ish we all thought the joke was the dad inventing explanations for baby babble.

quote:

Take It From the Tinkersons
A strange strip that should be either terrible or forgettable, but is actually pretty good?

quote:

Macanudo
Fluff written by someone who doesn't know how to be sincerely cute or heartwarming, so it all comes off like a dollar store hallmark card.

quote:

Dark Side of the Horse

Ranges from okay to fantastic. The simplicity works in its favor.

quote:

Toonerville Folks (July 1-3, 1918)
Toonerville is probably my favorite vintage comic in the thread. It somehow avoids getting stale despite literally all of its characters involving one joke each, probably because the characters are given hints of their lives outside that(see: how The Powerful Katrinka got a boyfriend at some point).

quote:

Dok's Dippy Insurance Hustle (November 27, 1913)

I loved the duck back in the YOU RUMMY era. This incarnation of the duck has slowly been losing me, since it loves to get into a storyline and wring every bit of life out of it while not being particularly clever along the way. The arcs where the joke is LOOK AT THIS RACIAL STEREOTYPE BIRD don't help either.

I'm never going to pass up an opportunity to poo poo on Luann. Luann is a comic written and drawn by people who are completely out of touch with how modern American society, relationships, and culture work, but who are dimly aware of some of the superficial signifiers. And who think that sex before marriage is evil.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

The plotting is a mess. I've accepted it's probably always going to be a mess. It's enjoyable if you treat it as a goofy strip where sometimes people are getting into a fight or exploding boats and the villians are captain planet stereotypes.

quote:

Mary Worth

Modern MW is a masterclass showpiece of the social dynamics that let toxic people get away with being toxic and pressure their victims into being quietly unhappy forever because god forbid you "rock the boat".

I hate it and I can't stop reading it.

quote:

Pooch Cafe

Sometimes it's slightly funny. Most of the time it's just kind of there. The way Poncho's ear is drawn has always bugged the hell out of me.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

quote:

Tooting my own horn and posting 70s RM next to modern to illustrate just how nothing modern Rex is. 70s RM drags on too long but things actually happen and they're actual things real humans might care about irl. And it doesn't keep letting the air out of its own tires by cancelling out any remotely interesting bits 5 strips after they happen. And it does still involve actual medicine sometimes.

I don't even read modern RM 90% of the time and it moves so slowly and does so little that it's still not hard to know what's going on.

quote:

Andertoons

Reliably good-to-great jokes.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 02, 1949)

Confession: I skipped Valiant until the America arc caught my eye. This was clearly the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life and if there's a convenient album for what's been posted so far I will love you forever if you link it.

It's just fantastic. It's funny, it treats everyone in the strip as actual people, the art is phenominal, and the odd bit of old-timey sexism can be excused when the women in it kick so much rear end.

Apparently a lot of people were only familiar with Boondocks from the cartoon, while I only read the comic and saw maybe 3 episodes of the cartoon before forgetting about them, so my take's probably going to be different from some's.

Boondocks is...an extremely Bush era comic. There's no getting around that. On the whole I think it aged really badly. Some of the strips I remember as being funny are still funny, but a lot of them are just either a)not funny, b)sexist(in a way that's not obviously meant to be the characters being flawed) and not funny c)homo/transphobic and not funny.

I feel like Olivia started off strong, then realized she ran out of jokes and has just been coasting for a paycheck since then.

quote:

Dustin
What's there to say about Dustin that hasn't been said aleady? gently caress you, Kelley.

Parker is a good artist and glancing at his twitter suggests he's not a shithead. I can only assume he's stuck here because he can't find a better gig.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News
Twee as hell, but in a way I like. I still think it suffers from having to fit its art into comic strip size instead of the huge pages of the webcomic BCN, but it's adapted well overall. Really needs to stick to the cat jokes and stop doing sudden extended storylines that are all OTT mushiness and no jokes.

quote:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn
Pretty good, usually funny, sometimes phones it in with a week of "haha, UNICORN!".

quote:

Wallace the Brave
I'm not sure if Wallace or Valiant is the best strip in the thread. It's just :discourse:

quote:

Curtis

Curtis is usually below-average, with a few strips that are extra-bad and a few that are shockingly good(usually the barber and church-lady-hat strips). The kwanzaa strips are always a delight, although I swear this year's is a rerun. Maybe I'm too used to the rhythm of them.

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 12/28/01

Liked Get Fuzzy as a teen. Still like it now, but I feel like some the tone of the strip comes off worse outside the context of the early 00s media landscape. It's a very "haha, everyone is kinda weird and there's a token jerk we're all putting up with for some reason" thing.

My Lovely Horse posted:

BUT NOW - WOW all men will be scrawny effeminate city slickers that eat like birds.

(I'm being unfair here, Williams is rather a lot more charitable than Beeman et al.)

Vater und Sohn: You have to be a problem solver (24/1936)

Owns.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Also owns.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Usually pretty good, but you gotta stop leaving the punchlines untranslated/assuming we're bright enough to figure out that a sign or something is being referenced and the core of the joke. :v: (not a complaint about this particular Dharma, to be clear)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Some Guy TT posted:

Greetings, fellow translator goon :) You do great work. Blueberry is a cool as hell Western adventure strip, and I'm honestly surprised we don't have more of those in American newspaper comic form. The genre was certainly popular enough. I also wouldn't worry too much about racisms or cultural insensitivity if I were you. The story's been quite consistent in portraying the Indians as reasonable people with reasonable motives, which is what really matters.

Ta for the words of encouragement - haven't felt this chuffed online since I was told folk actually liked my voice-acting.

Blueberry! While it is a pretty good rollicking adventure story - and having listened to Dogs Must Die podcast, I admit it does remind me a but of JoJo in the problem-solving and tricking people plots. I hope people don't mind my editorial approach as opposed to the literalist approach (since it definitely was editorialized when translated to Swedish). I can assure you that the story is pretty much the same (except when I feel that it has to be addressed, e.g. Jim not being shot, but the gunmen simply not noticing, or Blueberry giving a solitary gently caress for the well-being or appreciation of Alistair, and then I will draw attention to the changes as well as my reasonings for them), and it has been good help for my Swedish vocab. If only it could help with my pronunciation...

I have been trying to mitigate the worse of the racism in the stories (typically by just having people speak English without affectations). I am... A bit nervous about the next story, since it is set in Mexico (and the representation of Mexican people in this series has been pretty ehhh) but also because there is a character which takes it from 'not as racist as you think it would be, but still pretty racist' to 'racist', alas alas. I will spoiler when this strips in question come up, but just to give folk an idea of what I'm on about, I have two words:

Sax Rohmer-esque

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 30, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

CW: Little Lefty is doing a racial prejudice story, and to get things off to a (literally) running start, the villains of this piece drop A Very Special Word That I Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Using. Hopefully it's pretty clear by now where Del and The Daily Worker stand on racial justice, but caution spoilers are still being deployed. (October 31-November 2, 1935)
Just in case anyone, like me, isn't up to snuff on their history of Ethiopia, in October 1935 the Italian Army marched into Ethiopia (Italy had colonies in the surrounding countries at the time), leading to the 1.5 year long Second Italo-Ethiopian War, which on the face of it sounds made up by internet comedians. And I'm just gonna take it for granted that we all know how this relates to Haile Selassie :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

What even is this? It's complete static noise.

It's certainly an aquired taste. I kinda like how they take old comic strips that already was kinda absurd and then adds another layer of absurdity by changing the text. Kinda like those comedy dubs on youtube.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Andertoons doesn't draw much commentary but I think it's almost always good.

Does the dog in Footrot Flats have a name? He sure has been trapped in dangerous situations lately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: First day of the holidays (25/1936)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Confession: I skipped Valiant until the America arc caught my eye. This was clearly the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life and if there's a convenient album for what's been posted so far I will love you forever if you link it.

It's just fantastic. It's funny, it treats everyone in the strip as actual people, the art is phenominal, and the odd bit of old-timey sexism can be excused when the women in it kick so much rear end.

Check your PMs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Charlotte's Two Weeks' Notice (March 14-20, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

See y'all next year, folks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want to thank everyone who posts comics, even the bad ones, because we need the poo poo with the awesome.

And Prince Val is seriously the best and I want to get the collection but I fear I'd need to rob a bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ardeem posted:

Flag code says you take it down in the dark or bad weather if it isn't illuminated, he should have known there was something wrong.

That's probably the Encyclopedia Brown answer. That said, it makes Calhoun negligent or unobservant. It doesn't make him "a traitor," like Hawkins claimed, unless he'd decided to hand over the settlers to the hostile Native Americans for some reason. Even "I know the fort's fallen because of U.S. Flag Code Violations, but I think I can take them, and be a hero" isn't treason.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 30, 2021