Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I'm starting to wonder what time it's supposed to be, where it's pitch black but everyone appears to be doing their daily stuff.

They're in the Northwest Territories.

Eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The meme didn't even register for me. I was too focused on how cute Elvis in a mask is.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doomykins posted:

You don't need to stretch to hate Ed, give it a few dailies and we'll get a "Dustin is emotionally abused" strip again. Or Kelly is actually on a redemption arc, hah.

I hate the writer. Ed is shown having the higher ground for talking poo poo all the time. Why not something where Dustin, who is consistently shat upon by everyone, has something nice happen as a result of some virtue he displays?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Meanwhile I'm fully expecting this to be Luann staging an elaborate lie just to go "haha you DO like Jack!".

The Evanses are never going to come up with anything that clever.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

(i hate fictional character ed kudlick)

There's certainly nothing to like.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

rannum posted:

I like when the lockhorns shakes it up with jokes about shared miseries. The dance one in particular is cute.

I like the Lockhorns and Marital Mirth about the same. They're both decent.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Countblanc posted:

If I had to give a non-art criticism of Tinkersons it's that it sorta sucks that Mrs Tinkerson's personality is being a nag the vast majority of the time. Especially with the kids but also her husband. It'd be nice to see her with some friends or something outside the home like we do all the other characters.

She is a little less developed than the others for sure. More of a foil for the mildly absurd goings on at Casa Tinkerson than anything.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I love this.

That Kliban stuff is so good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Trust Moominpappa to pick the worst club of them all.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Thankfully, they're all going to get murdered in a minute and Bernice's reign of terror will end.

At last.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hold me closer jumbo nekonaughey

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm surprised that it didn't turn out to be a con Tara was in on. Those weird battle poses she was doing made it look like bad acting, but I guess it was just bad art.

(I guess it's possible that it's still part of the con and Tara is acting out this scene with her cousin for Bernice and Luann to see, but it's seeming less likely.)

I would bet actual money that would make more sense than whatever is coming next.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe it's just me but it's pretty rare for me to address my cousins as "cousin," I just call them by their names if I'm talking to them. It just feels really awkward and sounds dumb when you have to have a character say something unnatural like that.

Or maybe Stella just played a lot of GTA IV.

You gotta let the reader know who these random folk are somehow and why not do it with fists of ham?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Setting it out as a freebie with a note about its history for whoever takes it.

I feel like she is also relieving herself of some weight but she still feels it. Good visual writing imo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

wtf i love Luann now

WTF, it wasn't Bernice that got hit with the car.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Every comic strip is someone's first, so this is so new readers will know the dead girl who will never appear again after this story is over is named Tara.

I'm sure the person named Tara's cousin will face in strip justice.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That took me a minute as well.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

you think this one's about fuckin

I reckon

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Morrie Turner is easily my favorite of all the older artists these threads introduced me to.

He ruled. So smart and so sweet.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Please change my name to Tiny Bagpipes

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I liked the angry leprechaun.

The Bloop posted:

teenage boy makes "___gasm" joke to his mom :barf:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Should've been a permanent addition to the cast.

I had a good laugh at "...and his WALLET!" though.

I'm curious what's in there.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

At least Gunther isn't in it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hey. That's a pretty good foob.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

$300 is a bit low for loving up a mansion.

At least Gunther remains just a threat for now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Harry Dinkle sets the scene

Like a sex machine

Finally we get to the titular Funk.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

I got my second Moderna today, so who knows if I'll be up & around the next couple of days... so an extra dump tonight:

Hooray to this and the vaccine announcements I didn't call out.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I normally defend Bets just on the general principle that somebody Team Evans wants me to dislike can't actually be too bad, but no, she's sucking big time this arc.

Wait, is she supposed to be annoying?

I keep expecting her to be written out because they don't know what to do with ethnic characters.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Alright so Luann is not subtle when it comes to which characters are Good Characters and which ones are Bad Characters and the problem is that Bets is supposed to be Gunther's Bad Girlfriend. The problem is that for a while she was pretty sympathetic because she was actually into Gunther's Entitled Nice Guy horseshit, so it's been a gradual erosion of her character by adding on more and more Bad Characterization. Like, ever since she was pretty alright the first time, they've been working on making her this fame-seeking streamer monster who likes popularity and internet likes more than Gunther to the extent that she kind of just ignores Gunther's free will and what he wants, which has not really made most of us dislike her because Gunther loving sucks. But now, yeah, this is just idiotic.

They are probably trying for fame thirsty albatross but she seems like one of the most normal people.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress Everett True.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like this Moomin story much better than the wild west or French revolution-ish ones. I dunno if the writer got better, or if it's just that this one doesn't rely on a weird time travel gimmick (even though the time machine keeps getting mentioned). It just feels more Moominlike, I guess is the best way to put it.

It took me about twenty seconds to realize that these were supposed to be butterflies.

I wasn't totally in love with the Indians and it made me quit. I should pick them Moomins back up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set would like to speak to the manager of Almond Joy.

That Dinette Set didn't come through for me boss.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

As Dinette sets go that is a lot of dense dialogue.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TomBat and his smug face.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 30, 1999)

Good gravy. Janis is heated.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

This is a really extensive way to teach readers to stop letting their drat cats go outside to decimate local bird populations.

Arlo's reaction is well depicted.

edit: I didn't notice at first because of how angry Janis is

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm getting a powerful Inigo Montoya vibe.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Arlo and Janis-- still good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It seems like Gunther isn't getting lines lately in Luann.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey comic strip friends, I passed my dissertation defense on Friday and submitted my final manuscript to the university this morning, so if I do not have a totally clear plate yet (I'm moving in May, and will be grading finals in two weeks) I have at least eaten all the veggies off of it and can sneak on a little posting dessert.

Congratulations!