Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

For the last two years I've been translating and posting Surgeon's Tales. It's a comic based on Finnish author Zachris Topelius' historical novel that was published originally between 1853 and 1867 (original Swedish language title: Fältskärns berättelser) and not particularly well known outside Finland. The comic itself was published in the 1950s and follows the original text very closely.

The story began in 1631 during the Thirty Years' War and we have now reached the end of the Great Northern War which marks the end of Sweden as a great power and the rise of the Russian Empire. Sweden has lost its Baltic lands, Finland has been occupied by the Russians, King Karl XII died childless, his sister Ulrika Eleonora has agreed to abolish the absolute monarchy and then given the crown to her husband Fredrik.

The story has followed several generations of the Bertelsköld family. They have now lost their family estate in Finland, but Torsten recently got back the mystical magic ring, which supposedly brings great fortune to whoever carries it, but destroys you, if you make a false oath. Early in the story it was established, that if the ring stays in the same family for six generations (we've gone through four now), they will become a great royal house, and I'm pretty curious to see how this plays out.

A rough family tree:

And now we jump to Uusikaupunki/Nystad, a town in occupied Finland:

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Newspaper comic strips once had a much larger influence on popular culture than they do today.

Are you claiming that "Sluggo is lit!" isn't the most influential meme of the 2010s?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (March 18, 1950)

“You betcha I’m MAD … That smart Alex MICKY O’SHANNON starts snickerin’ at l’il ol’ brown ME wearin’ St. Patrick trimmin’s an’ I hadda use my AFRICAN and INDIAN warfare to defend my IRISH!”

Oh poo poo, she really is a leprechaun!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories is a Finnish Sunday comic from the late 90s. It presents us various small scenarios where humans cause inconvenience and distress to each other. Sometimes these stories are harmless and slightly humorous, while some are just cruel. I believe that the original intention was to make the people look around and see small instances of cruelty that are happening around them (maybe even by them).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

rannum posted:

Mr Boops transitioned pretty well into thriller movie

Bugs Bunny and Sonic trying to kill him was already very thrilling.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 5, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What word was a homophone there?

vvvvv aah, I tried to find some weird pun in the middle panel.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 4, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Kivekkäät (singular: Kivekäs) were a group of Finnish partisans/robbers during the Russian occupation. They weren't apparently popular among the local population, because they stole from them as well.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 5, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Betty is a lucky woman.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (March 30, 1965)

Obama was 4 years old when this was published.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Löfving was a Finnish partisan who is known for his diary that survived for later generations.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent posted:

Wait, that wasn't the end? The one that ties it back to the beginning and is literally the same as the very first strip?

No, but we're there soon.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Maybe be more like this, Kelley.

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the comic the blizzard seems to be a random event, but in the book Elias presents his magic trinket, a piece of rope that has knots. It has three knots left and one by one he opens them all. The first gives him a good wind, the second raises a storm and the third summons a massive blizzard (according to the book an extraordinary huge September storm in 1721 was a real event).

Weirdly Elias' father had gotten this rope trinket from Black Jaana, the witch from an earlier book, but her story made it pretty clear, that she didn't know actual magic and just let the people believe so to earn her living.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Bloop posted:

Even the nice Dustin strips are marred by his weird relationship with the neighbor kid. Why is he at a game with Dustin and Ed? Why is he hanging out with Dustin's friends all the time?

They should have made that character his little brother or something. poo poo, they still could - we don't care anything about his parents, just kill them off screen and let the Kudlicks adopt him

Or I should just not give Dustin more thought than it's worth

Apparently Dustin is a member in Big Brother program. I couldn't find a first hand source, but google has some hits for that in various comments.

Also learned that Hayden is named after Kelley's son.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Early car culture is one of my favorite comic topics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Do mermaids refuse to eat fish? And if so, what do they eat? Seaweed? Plankton? Sailors?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gotta be frustrating to think up titles for the background books only to have them rendered illegible by the low res reproduction. I can make out Chess Tips and Home & Hearth and something that can't possibly be Kidney of Faust.

The original is a bit bigger:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:wmwink:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mark Trail won't be happy about this.
https://twitter.com/fox35orlando/status/1348790622698795009?s=20

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the book the sergeant is speaking a mix of German, Swedish, Finnish and Russian, so you have lines like these (from the English translation, which touches only the Swedish parts):
"mituntereinander wie ein Eselsjunge for these cursed kivekät und Teufels nasibratten Marsch"
"Wech mit palaschen und on your knees mit that koiran oder den Teufel take dich"

While parsing these is pretty fun challenge, they are hard to understand and the comic just has him speaking broken Finnish, which I try to imitate here.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bugs is a good guy, but these ridiculous conspiracy theories have made him crazy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin has five non-bad strips in a row and the thread starts losing its mind.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 15, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Interesting skin tone.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Subtle

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

While ago I had missed a payment (due to carelessness) and got a call from a collection agency. Afterwards I got a standard customer service feedback message: "Would you recommend us to your friends?"

"Oh yeah, hey buddy, stop paying your bills and a nice lady will call and ask if you need more time to handle it"

(that must be pretty depressing job if you are not a sadist)

Surgeon's Tales

This backstory sounds so silly, that I'd presume he is either a real person or at least a local folk legend, but I couldn't find any additional info.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

This is the only strip I still remembered after 24 years and it's certainly pretty wild. And yes, it's exactly as awkward in Finnish.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Poil posted:

I'm not an expert but isn't an investment something that will increase in value? Buy it for 600 and then sell it for more (taking inflation into account)? A lovely overpriced piece of junk designed to look "rustic" isn't going to make you any wealth. Especially not after bileful bag of poo poo there uses it as support when he puts on his socks and shoes until it predictably breaks.

It's a cliche phrase that helps one to feel less guilty for spending money and reduces the buyer's remorse.

(also sometimes probably true)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

What's a Trauma? A place?
No no, that's Rauma. Which they are currently passing through in Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Maria is one of the Larssons, the family who have made some appearances earlier in the story, although the comic cut out many of them.

Her father owned the Perttilä farm that was given to their family when Kustaa Bertelsköld's father disowned him in the end of the first book.

Six of her brothers were killed during that scouting mission that was posted in October. The book had a short scene where their father felt that Bertelsköld was responsible for that (they were volunteering, but he set up the mission).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake