Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Sick burn on Ulysses S. Grant!

#2 could be Leonidas Polk
https://www.historynet.com/leonidas-polk-southern-civil-war-general.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

Terrible things can happen when you finger an unknown machine.

I laughed at the last panel

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

And She Dyed!

Only the good dye young

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Nappila is gone and his work in Mämmilä is done; Ulf Ekman, exit stage left.

Ulf Ekman, rear end in a top hat-at-large
drat, Toivo got used and tossed aside.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

New "South of the Border" logo lookin pretty cool

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

I remember Captain 20.

https://vimeo.com/61883599

They showed this all the time when I was a kid. He also did a thing where he told us how to make snacks, one of which was called an Irish Limey. At the end of that he says "Blimey! It's an Irish Limey!" I have never been able to find that, but it is etched into my brain somehow. I want to say the snack itself was a drink consisting of ice cream and milk with I think green food coloring.

Yeah, Count Gore De Vol and Captain 20 were a big part of childhood for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Gore_de_Vol

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

Comic Strips 2021: Gödel, Escher, Boop

Seconding this :golfclap:
Adding the subtitle: An Eternal Golden Comic Strip.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really hope McEldowney doesn't have any kids.
Apparently he does, a daughter.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo, especially Beric in the 5th panel. Is he clapping or dusting off his hands? Either is :psyduck:

Val casually cleaning his nails as he hangs someone "without delay and with no squeamishness whatsoever." :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The_Other posted:

No that's right, but Jack has the most romantic partners of the boys. First Shauna, then Mimi in Case of the Modern Men, and then (sort of) with Mildred in the last two stories. By contrast, while Linton has displayed interest in the fairer sex, especially with Little Claire in Case of the Missing Piece it's never really be reciprocated.

As for Sonny, he had Ellen the selkie in Case of the Fire Inside and an unnamed boy in Case of the Missing Piece.

Linton had some short term interest in Blossom, right? Like an hour or so?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 11, 1943)

That's a drat fine lunch.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 30, 1948), that's an absolutely amazing quilt. Realize that HT Webster had to draw each of those separate patterns by hand.

I guess this strip pre-dates the introduction of a unified emergency phone number? I can appreciate why Caspar has the FBI's number there, but what the DA could do, I don't know.

Feels a bit weird for Caspar to be sleeping alone here.

Pretty nice quilt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_quilting

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

nishi koichi posted:

alice is very upset

:golfclap:
I can just see her expression, too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Maria is one of the Larssons, the family who have made some appearances earlier in the story, although the comic cut out many of them.

Her father owned the Perttilä farm that was given to their family when Kustaa Bertelsköld's father disowned him in the end of the first book.

Six of her brothers were killed during that scouting mission that was posted in October. The book had a short scene where their father felt that Bertelsköld was responsible for that (they were volunteering, but he set up the mission).

Zero Brides for Six Brothers would be a pretty depressing musical

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
This is awesome

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

1978 comics

Is this the rear end in a top hat who became a millionaire overnight and immediately went full 'gently caress you got mine'? I think he is.

Yeah, he won a lottery and became a total rear end in a top hat, got ripped off by some bimbo, turned down for political office due to his FYGM attitude, and still lives the bourgeois lifestyle.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Rex Morgan narrator needs to get more Ella Cinders energy if we're supposed to take Buck's impending diabetic coma seriously.

"Now Buck's blood pressure's a-droppin faster than a paralyzed pigeon in a downdraft"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
:drat: Talkin' about downtown Skidmark CIty there

Also, when and how did Bernice the Barren get Tara kicked out of the university?

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 3, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I like the response in panel 4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drimble Wedge posted:

...what is her hand holding on to, and why is he making that face?

In your heart, you already know

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PetraCore posted:

So there's got to be, like, diabetic friendly milkshakes and stuff using sugar substitutes, right? Like as a diabetic you don't need to cut out everything sweet (and in fact need to have stuff to bring your blood sugar up when it's low), it's that you have to be a lot more aware of the composition of your food and how much literal sucrose you're eating, since the problem is your body has trouble storing and unpacking sugar with glucose and glycogen?

Yeah, there are probably diabetic-friendly milkshakes and such, but they're generally not easily found. Also, some of the sugar free (using sugar substitutes) stuff doesn't get digested well and can give you the shits or farts. Ask me how I know. Sugar is a big problem, but easily available starches (potatoes, bread, grains like rice and wheat, pasta, etc) are a big problem too, they get converted over to complex sugars in your body during digestion, and that really throws your blood sugar out of whack.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's exactly what I was thinking

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haulin Oates posted:

Can anyone name the mother from The Tinkersons? Cuz I sure as hell can't.

From GoComics: "Bill Bettwy's Take It From The Tinkersons is a timely comic strip about the hopes and dreams of a modern family, working together to keep their heads above today's choppy economic waters. Ted and Tiff Tinkerson are a happily married couple with two children: A charmingly naive son, Tillman, and a moody tween daughter, Tweetie. And you can't leave out Tubby, their overweight but lovable dog."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac almost got away with it.

The OOMABOOGY WOW WOW is such an amazing earworm

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"In 1921, Arthur D. Little, an MIT educated chemist, set out to prove that even the impossible can be accomplished with hard work and ingenuity. He followed these 7 steps to prove that it was, in fact, possible to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear:

First, he observed the silkworm producing silk, noting that the liquid emitted from the head of the silkworm changed once it mixed with air, becoming in viscosity something like glue.

Second, Little’s lab reduced 100 pounds of sow’s ears into 10 pounds of glue, which he then converted to gelatin by adding chrome alum and acetone.

Third, he exuded the mixture through a perforated spinneret.

Fourth, he soaked the brittle strands in a glycerin solution to soften them.

Fifth, he dried and dyed the fibers.

Sixth, he wove the cloth on a loom.

Seventh and finally, from the resulting cloth, Little fashioned two silk purses, one of which is on display at the Smithsonian Institute."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

I've heard about this several times and was curious enough to find some of the strips.
Zits
(July 18, 1997 - second week of the strip)

(October 21, 1997)

(December 25 - 31, 1997)

drat, a pre-meme meme: the Virgin Jeremy and the Chad Chad. Chad even has the huge chin.

Horsejacking and wagonjacking were more common in the 1700s than one one would think.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

Eric continues to be that guy.

I know it's a trick of perspective, but look how huge that spearhead is. It's the size of Eric's entire lower leg! Strong warriors faint dead away at the sight of such an awesome weapon.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (August 17, 1947)

Obligatory repost of Achewood

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (March 27, 1929)

nishi koichi posted:

gay’s scarf has got me anxious as gently caress right now

Yeah, it's a real issue with at least one fatality: Isadora Duncan:

"On the night of September 14, 1927, in Nice, France, Duncan was a passenger in an Amilcar CGSS automobile owned by Benoît Falchetto [fr], a French-Italian mechanic. She wore a long, flowing, hand-painted silk scarf, created by the Russian-born artist Roman Chatov, a gift from her friend Mary Desti, the mother of American film director Preston Sturges. Desti, who saw Duncan off, had asked her to wear a cape in the open-air vehicle because of the cold weather, but she would only agree to wear the scarf.[52] As they departed, she reportedly said to Desti and some companions, "Adieu, mes amis. Je vais à la gloire !" ("Farewell, my friends. I go to glory!"); but according to the American novelist Glenway Wescott, Desti later told him that Duncan's actual parting words were, "Je vais à l'amour" ("I am off to love"). Desti considered this embarrassing, as it suggested that she and Falchetto were going to her hotel for a tryst.[53][54][55]

Her silk scarf, draped around her neck, became entangled around the open-spoked wheels and rear axle, pulling her from the open car and breaking her neck.[1] Desti said she called out to warn Duncan about the scarf almost immediately after the car left. Desti brought Duncan to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.[52]

As The New York Times noted in its obituary, Duncan "met a tragic death at Nice on the Riviera". "According to dispatches from Nice, Duncan was hurled in an extraordinary manner from an open automobile in which she was riding and instantly killed by the force of her fall to the stone pavement."[56] Other sources noted that she was almost decapitated by the sudden tightening of the scarf around her neck.[57] The accident gave rise to Gertrude Stein's mordant remark that "affectations can be dangerous".[58] At the time of her death, Duncan was a Soviet citizen. Her will was the first of a Soviet citizen's to undergo probate in the U.S.[59] "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac stole this from Sword in the Stone.

This is such a wonderful concept

Yeah, I remember this kind of ads from childhood. Nice find!

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 2, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

One day, Rob Liefeld would fall in love with Jenny in panels 3 and 4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:stare::hf::catstare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (April 24-28, 2000)

“Don’t go into Mr. McGregor’s garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

"She's the queen of an island of brutal savages!"
"So you're saying she's Irish"

ftfy

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Look at that: pockets right on the shins of her pants. Amazing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I admire this guy

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

:rip: Ronkainen

Yup, and the last thing he hears is her lambasting him for being a ne'er-do-well.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like this Moomin story much better than the wild west or French revolution-ish ones. I dunno if the writer got better, or if it's just that this one doesn't rely on a weird time travel gimmick (even though the time machine keeps getting mentioned). It just feels more Moominlike, I guess is the best way to put it.

It took me about twenty seconds to realize that these were supposed to be butterflies.

ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH! ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rannum posted:

Sari Chuckie is so menacing in that second to last panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Panel 2 slam is good, panel 4 slam is really good