Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want this edit to make it into this year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's not quite the New Year for me, but have a special anyways!

The Shadow first "appeared" July 1930 as a narrator for a mystery radio show, to promote a pulp magazine before getting spun off into his own magazine, radio shows, movies, and comics. The radio show might be the biggest claim to fame, having been narrated by Orson Welles from September 1937 to October 1938. The newspaper strip ran from June 17th 1940 to June 20th 1942, and we're currently part-way through the first story, July 8th, 1940. Lamont Cranston, wealthy playboy and vigilante The Shadow, has been trying to take down a graft ring. There's a sealed box with evidence involved, but unfortunately we lost track of it when the archives I'm working from were missing pages. Now some criminals have, correctly, guessed that Lamont Cranston is The Shadow, but he manages to trick them into thinking he's not, by having an associate show up as The Shadow. And now...

Axa is a sword and rad-waste comic from 1978-1986, written by Donne Avenell and drawn by Romero, of Modesty Blaise fame, and published by The Sun. Set in 2080, 100 years after the apocalypse has hosed poo poo up, Axa flees the stifling conformity and safety of the dome to explore the wasteland beyond. It's not The Road. It's not even Mad Max. Think more Hell Comes to Frogtown. It's most famous for Axa constantly finding excuses to be naked or as close to naked as possible. She also has a sword, and generally when she uses it the comic kicks rear end. Lots of the time she's pining over guys who are just the loving worst, like someone found my Fallout/Apartment 3-G fanfiction and made a comic of them. Sometimes it gets gross and creepy. If it's too bad I might skip ahead to the next story. Might drop it if it happens too much. But until then, despite my occasional issues with it, I'm enjoying it, so, here's... um... Axa getting naked and a creepy old dude.

Welp.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Drakyn posted:

This isn't STRICTLY SPEAKING a comic strip, but does involve them: local webcomics whipping-boy Questionable Content has been doing 100 stupid comics (his words, not mine) over the last week or so and one of today's new-year-fresh batch involves a familiar subject!

I saw that, it was weird seeing a wild 9CL reference.

It's also something that that mouth is still not as horrifying as the ones in the actual comic.

The Shadow Jul. 9th, 1940

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Is that a Gogol reference?

The Shadow Jul. 10th, 1940

Axa

Jason's not... awful? Oh well, I assume he'll give me reason to want him dead soon enough.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'm going to be saying this a lot I think, but this has always been one of my favourites.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I wish it was easier to get the Sam and Max comics. Unless the price dropped suddenly recently, poo poo's 'spensive.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does Brooke McEldowney fear butts, or does he just hate them?

Where butt begins, gams end.

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

I'm not sure about it going straight comedy, but I do like the art style.

Also, gotta second the 'holy poo poo, Phantom.'

The Shadow Jul. 11th, 1940

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Too much amazing stuff got posted today I don't know where to start, drat.

The Shadow Jul. 12th, 1940

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Raul Julia as Gomez was such a perfect casting.

I haven't seen it, but when they announced Oscar Isaac as Gomez for the recent one, I thought "that is some fantastic casting, I think if anyone can approach Raul Julia, it's him," and I was disappointed to hear it wasn't a very good movie.

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

I don't know exactly why, but this one always got me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Luann is almost as bad as 9CL in the "these are definitely clothes young people today wear" department.

I was going to say that Luann's not awful when it comes to that, the outfits are pretty simple because of the art style, but it generally looks like something a young person might wear. But then I looked up again and realised that I'd just blocked what Luann was wearing.

Julet Esqu posted:

What, you don't wear a sensible blazer over a turtleneck when you go to the dog park?

Sensible blazer over a turtleneck, with yoga pants at that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Shadow Jul. 13th, 1940

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I thought Zorro was Spanish* not Dutch!
(I know, not your fault)

*actually, for the region in that time period would he be Spanish, Mexican, Californian, or some other label?

Californio? I'm tragically far from my cultural roots, I feel like I should know this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Wikipedia lists his nationality as "New Spanish/Mexican" for what that's worth.

Makes sense.

You know, comic thing that still gets me, I think it was a Ripley's Believe it or Not but it talked about a company in Japan that made a perfume that smelled "like the baked bread smell of a cat's head" and to this day I have no idea what the gently caress they meant. Every once in a while, while petting my cat, I will lean down and sniff the top of his head and you know what? I have never once smelled baked bread. God. When was Ripley's was last posted here regularly?

Zereth posted:

... :confused: what did he die of?

Sudden shock, I think? I mean, I'm still :confused: but I think that's what the gravestone reads.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Shadow Jul. 15th, 1940

Axa

Axa, they nearly drowned you, try to focus on that rather than how handsome they are.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I said I'd say this a lot, but this is one of my favourites.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Shadow Jul. 16th, 1940

Axa

I have a feeling this is gonna get a little "the gun is good..."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily..." Duck (May 30, 1913)

You coulda been a Gold Medal contender, Duck!

I'm not much for sports, but I think this is my favourite sports related trivia.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excellent Prince Valiant, drat.

The Shadow Jul. 17th, 1940

Axa For gently caress's sake, guys...

Ah, the '70s. All biotruth-y and poo poo. That said though, these women designed a fully functioning underwater domed city some time before 1980 when poo poo went down, and right now we have zero fully functioning underwater domed cities...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I would expect that execution of an underwater construction project of this scale would actually take very technically skilled labor, so -something- about this Sexy Matriarchy isn't adding up to me. Maybe if Axa swooned over some more cute boys I'll figure it out.

That too! Also, I just want to say, I have no sympathy for Jason. Maybe don't talk poo poo, my dude?

Edit: I get what Mr. Boop's going for, but I have to say I much preferred the earlier stories. I really liked it up through Endgame.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 9, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Yes!

"So anyways, sorry about my article being late and written on strips of bark, but that's how I ended up waging a guerilla war against my dad and the Feds from the relative safety of the Everglades."

The Shadow Jul. 18th, 1940

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

What's Flyin' Jenny?

Until August 10th, 1940 it was the comic just below The Shadow in The Evening Star. :shrug:

In all seriousness though, I've been laser focused on grabbing The Shadow. I just realised that Oaky Doaks is running at the same time.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Flyin' Jenny looks cool.

I'll grab a couple and post them, at least for a bit, why not?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, so I grabbed a few Flyin' Jennys. Keeping it synced with The Shadow, here's Jul. 18th, 1940. We appear to be coming in in the middle of a storyline, so no, I have no idea what's going on, but drat if it isn't a strong intro.

I think they're at a masquerade or something.

Then I looked to see if there was anything else good on the page, and I saw this and was amused, so have a random Mutt and Jeff too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I kind of like Jack so I hope they don’t actually go anywhere because if so, he’ll be yanked out of existence the moment they’ve had uncouth relations, just like Piro.

Uncouth relations with Piro? She kissed him, once, after months of her being weird, then decided there wasn't anything there. Like everything else with Bernice, it was bizarrely chaste and treated as being hugely scandalous.

Jack's weird because he is pretty decent as far as Luann characters go and unlike the other decent characters, he's apparently supposed to be a decent, likeable guy. So, I totally agree with you.

God, Luann's so weird.

goatface posted:

Bernice is the anti-Axa.

The only thing missing is the occasional burst of competence to match Axa's occasional bouts of incompetence. I'd like Bernice more if she occasionally whipped out a sword and went to town on some dudes, that's for sure.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

July 19th, 1940 Comics:

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is just a legend...OR IS IT?

This was one of the first Cul De Sacs I saw, and it's the one that made me decide that it was a very good comic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Here's our July 20th, 1940 Comics:

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And Axa

Something something where can I sign up and whatever other obvious joke there is to be made.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This one is not only one of my favourites, but it's my mum's favourite as well (the death-ray one is my dad's).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, I'm in again.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

As someone who sneezes like that, yeah, I'm used to getting two or more 'bless you's when it happens.

July 22nd, 1940 Comics (plus a Sunday from Flyin' Jenny)

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

Luckily it seems the Sundays follow a different storyline. I was worried I was gonna have to grab the Sundays I skipped, instead of merely being encouraged to.

And Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

I knew it was coming.

...no. No! What? No?!

That's not a horn. That's her upper jaw, her skull, her nose is at the tip of it!

I thought I was prepared for insanity, but I was not prepared for this.

I mean, obviously that's not the nose but a solid bit of horn. That raises the question of where the nose actually is, but I'll leave that to others.

I want to see Holbrook draw what this Hippopotaleo's skull is supposed to look like, then somebody who understands biology to do it.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Apparently he does, a daughter.

Who is apparently a chip off the old block, which kinda amuses me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

alright i had to look this up. well, story delivers i guess!

I thought I understood giant isopods well enough, but somehow I missed that they (video linked from that article) sometimes kill the poo poo out of sharks and eat them? Holy poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

When I was young I had to ask my parents about this one, and I don't know why but the entire thing stuck in my head, and now whenever I see parsley I think of this.

July 23rd, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And of course, Axa

Ripping her clothes off really is her first reaction to just about anything, isn't it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus Christ how does this get past a loving editor?

I've got to confess. I know we're not supposed to touch the poop, but after the training bra week I sent an email to GoComics asking that exact question.

Never got a response.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kavak posted:

Are we even sure it's still in papers?

Somebody posted a picture of the panty-dropping strip running in their local newspaper in the last thread, so unless things have changed since, at least one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Is that the cake from The 7th Guest?

Edit: also, drat Retail, sticking a sick burn on us in the archives so we'd stumble on it while reposting from the beginning. Devious!

July 24th-25th, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And of course, Axa

While I'm confessing things, for the longest time I'd mix up the Beach Boys and the Beastie Boys. In my mind, they just had a very varied career.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

For the last 100 years, everyone has been preserved under Copper Pyramids which preserve their youth and vigor through focusing orgone energy. It's why everyone's also super horny all the time.

BigDave posted:

So she's in a 1970s post-apocolyptic SciFi movie

A prime example of Watsonian vs. Doylist.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

The election in question is the presidential election of 1988, held January 31. and February 1. It was the first direct presidential election in Finland but since no candidate got over 50% of the votes the election went on to a second round where it was decided by an electoral college, as it had been done previously. It was also the last election to use electors. Mauno "Manu" Koivisto was elected for a second term and in 1991 presidents were limited to two six-year terms.

Wait, I think Captain Sternn there might be onto something. Come back!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 12-14, 1935)

I love these '30 Years Too Soon's. :allears:

July 26th, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

and Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kavak posted:

Dear God we are less than a year from a cuck arc aren't we?

I mean, it's already come up a few times. Remember Edda's crush on the other dancer?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I remember her pretending her husband was her hulking gay friend during sex, and the husband pretending that he was the hulking gay friend during sex.

I'm thinking earlier, when she actually confessed the crush. I dunno, I'm certainly not going back through 9CL archives, maybe it's not quite like I remember.

But gently caress, that was kinda weird too, especially when all their friends excitedly talked about their roleplaying them.

Anyways, July 27th-29th, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny I'm uh... gonna timg the Sunday, not quite sure what this guy's deal is but given that it's 1940, I'm gonna guess it's something that didn't age well.

And of course, Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

July 30th to August 1st, 1940 Comics, sorry that the 30th and 31st are missing

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And as always, Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherman's Lagoon

You know, Sherman's Lagoon isn't a very good comic. That said, I've kinda got a soft spot for it. It's charming, even if it's not good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

August 2nd, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

That seems like a weird thing to dismiss.

And as always, Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

:lol:

Also, that Modesty Blaise wrap-up was excellent.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 3rd, 1940

Axa

And that's it for The Desired! I peeked ahead a little at the next story and I have high hopes for it.