Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kevin and Kell (originally Herd Thinners, inc. before being renamed in the early 2000s) is the self-proclaimed "World's Longest Running Daily Webcomic," starting in September 1995 (though for the first few years it was Monday-Friday only). It's set in a world where all animals (and some plants) are sentient and there are no humans; the main protagonists are a blended family, composed of Kevin Kindle (a rabbit), Kell Dewclaw (a wolf), Lindesfarne (an american porcupine english hedgehog, Kevin's adopted daughter from his previous marriage), Rudy (Kell's half-wolf-half-fox son from her previous marriage), and Coney (an omnivorous rabbit, the daughter of Kevin and Kell).

Other main characters are:

Fiona, half-fox-half-fennec, Rudy's girlfriend;
Fenton, a bat, Lindesfarne's boyfriend;
Vin Vulpen, a fox and bully at Rudy's school;
Angelique, a rabbit and Kevin's ex-wife;
Ralph, a wolf, Kell's ineffectual deadbeat brother;
Bruno, a wolf, Rudy's classmate;
Corrie, a sheep (who is currently pretending to be a sheepskin worn by Bruno), Bruno's girlfriend (unbeknownst to most other characters);
R.L., a wolf, Kell's boss;
Catherine Aura, Rudy and Bruno's teacher and secretly the leader of a secret society of birds which has been controlling society for decades, if not centuries.

The strip often tries to deal with social issues, drawing parallels between the discrimination the main characters (and some of their friends) face for being "unusual" in their society and real-life issues (racism, LGBTQIA+ rights, AIDS, and so on). Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes... It doesn't. It also relies heavily on tech jokes. Really outdated tech jokes, since the strip is over twenty years old at this point.

I've been posting strips from the archives, one week per day. We're currently a bit more than three years in, in October 1998. Enjoy the ride.

Classic Kevin and Kell (October 5-9, 1998)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Time to take care of some unfinished business.

Mr. Mr. Boop

no don't

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Isn't this technically not true? From what I recall one of the...rabbits? is actually a human who went there from our world and decided to stay because her counterpart in that world was already dead, or something. And then wasn't there a baby human at some point that all the animals got freaked out about because it was some weird hairless freak to them? Or did it end up turning out to be an ape or something?

Up to the point I've reached by posting the classic strips, it's true: zero humans so far. Though you're correct that it will change in the future :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (October 12-16, 1998)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (October 19-23, 1998)

First appearance (technically): Edgar the Lion.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I hate everyone in this strip.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

loving run, girl.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (October 26-30, 1998)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Whoa

:laffo:

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

This is really good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (November 2-6, 1998)

:rip: Kell's dad, you never showed up on-panel while you were alive except for a hand or a leg here and there.

This won't be the last time characters have conversations with dead people. It's honestly bizarre: from these strips, it may seem they're simply remembering them, but later on the... Ghosts? Spirits? Apparitions? Whatever. Later on they will impart knowledge upon the living which they didn't previously have. Like, Kell's father will apologise for writing her out of his will unless she divorces Kevin (which is a crock of bullshit on his part), or Rudy's dad will give him pointers about how to deal with bullies.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 19, 1918)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Axa, I'm not going to blame you for liking boys, but maybe, just maybe, in a world that is doing it utmost to kill you dead, stop for a bit and think instead of going "Oooo cute boys." Please.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (November 9-13, 1998)

Ah, the olden times, when all HTML code was lovingly hand-crafted. I miss them a bit.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:chloe:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The fact that Dustin's dad is going "I'll give you money if you stop having fun" instead of offering to pay for a studio or some other place where they can practice without annoying him tells you everything you need to know about this man.

Classic Kevin and Kell (November 16-20, 1998)

Reminder that A Bug's Life ends with the hero tricking the villain into being painfully torn apart and eaten by an apex predator. So it kinda fits in this universe.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 21, 1943)

I quite enjoy the fact that Sligon is now a chill old man, living out his last days in leisure without a worry.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (November 23-27, 1998)

His vision is augmented.

Reason Vin sucks, # I lost count: trying to trick a bunch of high school kids into murdering their friend.

Also this is the first appearance of the magical pheromones which will become a staple in this comic strip. Enjoy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Medenmath posted:

I hope you bought enough for the whole thread. :colbert:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 28, 1943)

Absolutely spectacular :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (November 30 - December 4, 1998)

:rip:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (December 7-11, 1998)

1. I love that Vin being loving dead doesn't merit any mention besides "he gave us food poisoning as a parting gift."
2. You're a poo poo, Kell's Dad. This hits especially close to home because I've almost been disowned after coming out, before managing to mend things with my parents, so...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

"How long would the men be our slaves if we allowed ourselves to love them?"

Oh, okay, so y'all are political lesbians. Got it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (December 14-18, 1998)

First appearance: Angelique's stepchildren.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/BonecrusherJenk/status/1348508762143748098

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (December 21-25, 1998)

What did I say about people talking with the dead in this comic? I mean. Is Kell's dad supposed to be a memory? A fantasy? Wishful thinking? What is it with the Marley-looking cat (?).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (December 28, 1998 - January 1, 1999)

Happy new year! :toot:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (January 4-8, 1999)

First appearance: Chet Cheetah. Welcome to Toxic Masculinity Zone, folks!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Linton if you don't stop the next mystery the teens will solve will be your murder

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Literal assault, and the librarian treats it as if it's Dustin's fault. Lovely.

Classic Kevin and Kell (January 11-15, 1999)

The mouse lint joke is sure to go right over the head of anyone who has no experience with pre-2000 computing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I actually hate that Dustin a lot, because it does what comic strips usually do: take a situation that could happen in real life, and bring it to a hilarious extreme.

What would happen in real life:

"Can I check you out?"
"Excuse me?"
"Oh! Sorry, I meant, can I scan your books?"

A moment's embarassment. It's a simple misunderstanding. No real consequences.

The hilarious extreme: Dustin gets slapped hard because of something that isn't his fault at all, but everyone treats it as if it was; and the person who assaulted him faces no consequences.

I'm getting real loving tired of Dustin being the butt of the joke when he's doing nothing to deserve it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (January 18-22, 1999)

It begins.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

A baby is not a parrot, you dingdong.

EBB posted:

If Vin is alive, who did the kids murder and eat for the competition?

amigolupus posted:

I'm gonna guess it was the elk Rudy spared, because :lol: at the idea of a nameless prey surviving.

Good guess, but actually no.

"Now he'll never learn about show don't tell!"

This strip is timely.

Of course, the body being "the carcass of a talk radio host" just raises further questions. Where did the birds get the body? Did they kill the radio host on purpose to disguise them as Vin? Or do they just have plenty of corpses on ice in case they need to fake someone's death (as they just did Fenton's)? If so, where do they get all those bodies? Remember that the law in this hellworld is that you can kill someone to eat them, but if you don't, it's murder.

And here I go putting way too much thought into a comic strip.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Come to think of it, one thing I hadn't realised while posting today's set of Classic K&K strips: how do Aura and Fenton know each other? She's Rudy and Bruno's teacher, not his, and they haven't interacted on-panel that I can remember. Is it normal to be able to identify your girlfriend's step-brother's teacher on sight?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (February 1-5, 1999)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (February 8-12, 1999)

The Year 2000 Problem, or Y2K Problem, or just Y2K, was a computer glitch that caused no end of problems in systems all over the world, eventually bringing about the end of civilisation as we know it. Not.

The short version is that, to save memory, early computer systems formatted dates using only two digits for the year: 95 for 1995, 96 for 1996, and so on. There was the possibility that, once 2000 rolled around, 00 would be interpreted as being 1900, be recognised as an invalid date, and cause catastrophic cascading system failures in electronics.

Of course, nothing much happened: computer scientists foresaw the problem, and worked to correct the glitch. In the end, the only problems that happened were minor and almost without consequence.

Y2K will be a big plot point in K&K.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Poil posted:

And giving the same treatment.

It's insightful, isn't it?

Bruceski posted:

That's kinda underselling it. A bunch of folks busted their asses not only fixing the problem, but *finding* it in the first place. You got stuff like some bank with a 20 year-old server plodding away in a closet that everyone's forgotten is even used for anything because it's just done its job crunching numbers and "if it aint broke", or an Excel spreadsheet that used the year as part of a black magic workaround and then wound up twelve layers deep in some network of re-used sloppy code.

The big "planes falling out of the sky" doom stuff was never going to happen but a whole bunch of small scale (compared to planes falling out of the sky) bugs were quite likely and every system had to be evaluated independently because you never know what that poor code's been made to do and a blind fix could break three other things. And then the whole thing becomes a joke of overreaction with executives complaining "why did we pay so much for this if nothing happened?" I wasn't involved in that but I know some folks who were and one of them describes it as the biggest and most thankless job he's had to date.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make light of it. I don't work in the field, but I'd heard about how big it was; I just wanted to summarise things briefly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

Oh my god, Giles :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Considering the conversation that was had in this thread yesterday, Classic Kevin and Kell (February 15-19, 1999) is going to make some people in here quite mad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Classic Kevin and Kell (February 22-26, 1999)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Did George and Ed have a feud or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I forget, did she actually have sex with any of the boys she lusted after?