Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I don't know why I like this so much but I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The_Other posted:

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of too. Second thing I thought of was Jim Gaffigan's manatee routine on Dr. Katz

I'd forgotten who'd done the manatee bit. Thank you, thank you.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

(Jack Farr)

Oh, this is gorgeous work, especially Cinderella's roadster. drat.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Tiggum posted:

Are we supposed to think the kids are being unreasonable here? :confused:

Those kids weren't 100% physically active the entire time they were at the ski slopes so clearly they were lazily faffing about, laughing with their friends all muppet-mouthed and ignoring their chores at home. How dare they.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Here goes Holbrook mixing the messages like so much DNA.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

This is pretty much how a good sound effects engineer would work. A nice ripe melon or gourd dropped from six feet makes for an excellent body-hitting-the-ground effect. A large bag of Jell-O also works if you are worried about making a mess, but it's not as concussive. (For some really excellent horror audio, check out a Canadian series called Nightfall and one episode in particular called The Repossession. The end sequence is incredibly disgusting and involved an sfx artist moving his hand underneath the raw skin of a dead chicken to start.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

I was curious why Milt Gross would use the common "applesauce" for the bullshit panel instead of his own "Banana Oil!" catchphrase, so I looked it up and it turns out this strip was a month away from Banana Oil's debut. So here he's playing with the concept before he realizes he needs a change of fruit.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Get hosed Ed Kudlick

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (August 7, 1935)

This is suitable-for-framing fantastic.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh, we're going to keep this poo poo up all week, aren't we.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Bloop posted:

I thought it was determined that tinkersons guy is just a dorky fan and not a paid shill

Yeah, and the amusement park the Tinkersons guy plugs is like the small hometown park he grew up going to, not something big like Six Flags. I've always found his hamfisted plugs kinda charming. Maybe they give him free funnel cake now.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
You made an awesome post, no one needs to apologize for posting awesome.

I love the throwback flashback panel with Mildred's bear badge. It's perfect.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
FOR THE LUVVA MUD! Sounds like Ben Grimm read Ella Cinders while growin' up.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I hate this Zits storyline soooooo much for using an absolutely toothless strawman statement at the center of a bad faith argument about cancel culture. Cause golly, if they can "cancel" Jeremy for merely making an innocent observation about penguins, what will they cancel you for? There's no way Scott would have let Jeremy say something actually repellant and ignorant, because then the aftermath would have/should have involved him actually listening to people and learning something and making amends rather than just pointing his head up and hollering "WHAT DID I DO!?!"

Scott and Borgman are sliding down the same aging white male trail that Rick Detorie blazed for 'em, and I'm pretty disappointed.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Parahexavoctal posted:

Fibber McGee and Molly, brought to us by Johnson and Johnson. (July 18, 1937)

Oh, wow! This is the first I've heard of any FM&M comic strip/ad series and it looks like one of the rare radio adaptations which keeps the feel of the show's characters and dialogue (that ad where Jack Benny pulls one over on Mary was pretty dire). If the Jordans and/or Don Quinn didn't actually write this stuff I'd love to know which house writer could.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 19, 2021

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

(I joined this site twenty years ago to post snark and mostly-low-effort Photoshops, why change now)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

JethroMcB posted:

My grandfather's favorite kind of green beans were "Southern style."

Which apparently meant "canned, but simmered for hours, until they were beyond mush texture and all the sodium got really concentrated."

My mom's generation's attitude towards vegetables was boil em down and put either vinegar or Lowry's seasoning salt on em. It was years before I discovered that broccoli and carrots actually tasted good.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Green Intern posted:

It's another "Displaced In Time" gag. The man is in oldfashioned clothes and is asking the gimmick Horse Carriage Ride For Tourists to drive him like it's a modern cab.

The original Delmonico's closed in 1923, which helps the displacement joke.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

This is wonderfully meta! The girl in the newspaper picture is Colleen Moore, who played Ella Cinders in the 1926 film adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WlowTI6Arc

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
My brothers and I would get singles like Ghostbusters which would have the instrumental track on the B side, so we could record ourselves singing it. Put the tape recorder up to the stereo speaker, hit record, and holler along. Now you are rock stars. :unsmith:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Thanks for finally burying 9CL. It's sad to watch someone's mental decline play out in such an grievously horny fashion.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Tara's going to get up and dust herself off and go "Whew! Good thing I learned how to roll!" and none of it is going to make a drat difference.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

Mervyn LeRoy was a Hollywood director and producer who got his start in silents. At the time of this strip he was working at First National Pictures as a gag writer for Colleen Moore, writing for the Ella Cinders adaptation and Moore's other films. LeRoy's name wouldn't be well-known until the 1930s when he made films for Warner Bros like Little Caesar and I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang, so I am reasonably certain its inclusion in the strip (and probably also his caricature) was meant as a nice little inside joke just for him.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (December 27, 1923)

I love this way of handling a strip transition.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

He is So. Bad. At. Exposition.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

When it comes to empty Boomer nostalgia, Tom Batiuk's work is the comic equivalent of those 50s Diners which cover their walls with pictures of Marilyn Monroe and James Dean hanging out with Elvis in heaven.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

The first is from the December 21, 1936 St. Louis Globe Democrat. Here is the comics page from that day - to give you a sense of the time.

And a Merry Christmas to good ol' Maw Green, faithful mouthpiece for Harold Gray's "Generosity is Foolish" gospel.

Also on this page is Edwin Alger, which was a pseudonym picked by Jay Jerome Williams to evoke Horatio Alger. It's the best pen name for a strip about a polite and earnest young man who isn't afraid of a little hard work for some honest pay, no sir.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Bloop posted:

When I worked for RadioShack back in the day, a store manager chased a shoplifter outside over a $50 TV remote and got stabbed and died

I worked at a supermarket in a strip mall and was there the day when an employee at the liquor store next door chased a thief out into the parking lot, was stabbed, and ran into our store for help. Our rear end in a top hat assistant manager yelled at us while we were taking care of the guy, calling 911, etc. ("THAT'S why you don't chase shoplifters, people!") and then I got to mop up the trail of blood from the entry through Produce into the back room. Lesson learned, dammit.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (February 24, 1945)

I don't mind the poor image quality because I'm really enjoying Private Bootsie Goes to War.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"How much did you buy the eggs for on Malta, Private Bootsie?"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"How often do computer geeks get [dignity and respect] from a woman?"

Between this and that mean evil jock Vin Vulpin, Holbrook's got some loving Dominic Deegan-level geek resentment simmering over and I hate it hate it hate it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Banana Oil! (February 28, 1924)

I'm pretty sure the Steeplechase Park and laughter reference comes from the fact that amusement parks used to have these "Laffing Sal" automatons, usually parked outside the fun house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyJOCt7xMg

e: also hell yes Jucika getting someone punted out of the panel

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

amigolupus posted:

Batiuk's method to finally bring up the topic of covid in the Funkyverse is gross. He's pretty much using this AA meeting as a backdrop so he can preach about how he's so relevant and on top of the pandemic. And yet he's not drawing everyone in masks so that makes his sentiments ring hollow.

I want to know what he's got against PBS which, I presume, isn't broadcasting Covid coverage around-the-clock.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

An entire week of the same panel of Jordan and Michelle mashing lips would be hilarious. I know Terry Beatty won't commit to that kind of bit, but one can dream.

e: a shameful snipe

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I can't believe Batiuk is trying to SOME GIZMO the story of Funky's fall towards the first step. Incredible.

I'm enjoying Princess Deer because I think it's a great example of outsider art and some brilliant trolling by Neysa McNein. She just put a striptease on the comics page for a week and I have no idea how it was received, but I hope she considered it a success.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

amigolupus posted:

Team Evans really doesn't want Gunther to do anything wrong, so now he's not even allowed to participate in the conversation. :laffo:

I dunno, leaving the conversation was one of the smartest things Gunther's done.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shugojin posted:

people really do this and i hate them for it

"How about some winning lottery numbers? :haw:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale