Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

We talk about how the young adult characters in Luann have a middle-school level of sexuality. But even as a sheltered super-churchy middle schooler, I was capable of saying to my friends, "Don't you think Jason is cute? I think Jason is cute. I have such a crush on Jason." I would never in a million years have confessed my feelings to Jason, but that's a different issue.

Bernice isn't even able to admit TO HER LIFELONG BEST FRIEND that she is attracted to a boy. I know it's a cliche that psych majors need the most therapy, but yeesh.

I kind of like Jack so I hope they don’t actually go anywhere because if so, he’ll be yanked out of existence the moment they’ve had uncouth relations, just like Piro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dustin could be a salvageable comic if it kept the tone it’s had for the last pair of strips. A more boring, toned down Zits.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It’s a very sort of boomer mentality too; that a female slap to the face is what instantly happens if you don’t show them the proper respects, dagnabbit.

Never mind that it was completely obvious, within the context, what Dustin meant when he said that. Is that lady employed by Ed to challenge him?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

When we have a sudden power outage my gf freaks out because it reminds her of the Croatian civil war she grew up under, so Luann making Tiffany a silly diva over this grinds my gears real good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nothing but the prospect of his own personal gratification can motivate Ed Kudlick to help those in need. He is incapable of seeing charity as anything other than a business transaction, and not only accepts this as a system, but also tries to game it.

Mwweeeell he did give the guy a twenty before she kissed him, so I see it more as him being willing enough for random acts of kindness, but only truly committed to goodwill if the relation between giving and receiving is clearly stacked in his favor.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

garfield hentai posted:

Jeremy wanting to name the cat Clapton is giving the same vibes as 16-year-old Peter in Foxtrot being super into Bruce Springsteen

Hi, I’m the 15-year old who was up front and center when Springsteen played a concert in town with a huge acoustic band playing old American folk songs. AMA.

(Peter is basically me, is what I’m saying).

Not to go into a rant, but seriously: if ya’ll ever get the chance, in the future, to see Springsteen live: do it. It seriously changed my life.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

So when will Bernice rat Luann out to her parents?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I get startled every time I see a Far Side I haven’t seen before.

Also, it’s really incredible how consistently good that comic is. I like my fair share of one-panel gag strips, like Bizarro for instance. But nothing comes close to the craftsmanship of Larson.

I am thinking of start posting Ballard Street.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

nishi koichi posted:

oh my god who cares you’ve been married for decades

Jesus cares!

(I doubt it but I’m sure this saccharine glop constantly asks itself “what would Jesus do?”)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Alright, I've been a freeloader long enough, time for me to actually add something to this thread.

Ballard Street is a one-panel strip created by Jerry Van Amerongen, recently retired. I grew up reading the Swedish Larson! comic book (centered around The Far Side) which included this comic (called "Irrvägen" in Swedish) and I instantly fell in love with the crazy old people running around on Ballard St.

Ballard Street is no longer in production, but Jerry Van Amerongen is quite active on Facebook, where he occasionally posts personal projects such as paintings. He seems like a real chill old man.

I start with February 4-6.

And I will finish off with what I think is one of the funniest comics ever produced.

Most, if not all strips of Ballard Street can be summed up with :allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

At Ballard Street, Gene is pondering his actions.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Tensions are high on Ballard Street tonight:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Zereth posted:

Why are these all blurry?

The way I crop and upload them might not be the best in terms of quality (saving them directly from the site won’t work, it only saves the web address); any tips on how to find a better solution is welcome!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Everything about Lockhorns scream “legacy strip that has outstayed its welcome” except it’s actually funny. It’s quite remarkable.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Thanks to some helpful comments, Ballard Street returns sharper and better than ever!

And Michael for one is pleased with the proceedings.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street finds itself at a crossroads.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Catching up on some Ballard Street!

Year two of quarantine hits Stephen hard.

One ticket to the Ballard Street Zoo, please!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The level of smugness emanating from Funky Winkerbean really is astounding.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh what's that? That's right, it's Ballard Street!

Keep it up Chris, you'll get there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

amigolupus posted:

How Safe Havens should have ended.

They’d end up averting the crisis by adopting the sun.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I've been busy, and so have the good folks at Ballard Street!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Poil posted:

Where is Ballard Street and are there any vacancies? :allears:

It would truly be the greatest place on earth.

One of the things I love about Ballard Street is that it is, for the most part, completely devoid of judgmental commentary. People be crazy and that’s okay!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

You're too harsh on yourself, Carl.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Is that a trainspotters joke or is it car-print toilet paper>

Trainspotter, I would think.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I might pick up modern Dick Tracy, because I find it quite charming in how stupid and self indulgent it is. I also toy with the idea of only posting one strip of it a week, to see if that somehow makes it even more nonsensical.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I am a thief but I find my loot by following my estranged cousin around, ensuring she can identify me in front of witnesses.

I am not a good thief.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Drakyn posted:

I have done the mandatory.

Now that I look at her...she kinda looks like Loss.jpg but from the opposite side of the room.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ukonvasara posted:

M87* is actually 55 million light-years from Earth; if there was a supermassive black hole only 55 light-years away, we'd be, in one way or another, much more familiar with it!

Yeah the terrible joke aside, that’s a really big fuckup.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I realize we don’t post Sunday Luann (?) but it was pretty hilariously wedged in between these developments since they’re always not related to story archs.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

Edmund knows what he likes.

Slow down, Toby!

Better that than breaker of wind, amirite?

Malcolm tried, at least.

Lance didn't stay.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

As someone who just started paying attention to those comics, I can’t say i don’t enjoy Circus Windows. I really like the art and color, but the story is, definitely lacking.

Like, we the readers know that something is going on, since that guy got roughed up, but as far as they know, the circus has procured a way to put up posters at random places.

Sssssssssooooooooo?

Regarding Luann, I’d like to point out that Bernice manages to start all her sentences with “I” in that whole strip. I found that to be pretty funny and not the least bit surprising.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Funky Winkerbean better build up to a surprise cancer diagnosis because I swear to Christ what a pointless loving week even for them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Knock knock who's there Ballard Ballard who BALLARD STREET

Gordon knows what's up.

Good for them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

Quarantine is a struggle for us all.

I could use more clear signals in my day to day life.

:allears:

Norman is a man of action, I suppose.

Interactive shows are always fun!

I don't think the world at large is ready either, Stewart.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Hostile V posted:

"Harry Dinkle Can't Wait To gently caress" and more, every day on the wild world of the comics page.

He’ll get a heart attack on the way, instantly setting the Funkyverse back in place.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

There's always next time, Reg.

This cracks me up big time. Why is he so happy? Who could know :allears:

Not to go off on a tangent, but this is a good reason I love Ballard Street. It's almost entirely devoid of cynicism. I feel a lot of other cartoonists (especially on the older side) would enter Boomer-mode with this sort of joke; trying to show this as something inherently bad. But Van Amerongen is content showing these folks just happily talking into their phones, with no obvious judgement past upon them.

That's a happy horse.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Samovar posted:

That's positively Larson-esque. Even Adams-esque.

Yes it’s weirdly surreal in a non-Ballard Street way, which is usually surreal in a more crazy kind of way.

Like it tho.

I’ll try and post Ballard Street at least twice a week from here on.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gunther looks amused so I assume it’s gonna be a hissy fight between them for absolutely no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street