Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

There's something very fitting about the first punch of Jules Rivera's tenure at Mark Trail is his own father. Symbolic, really.

he doesn't even have a beard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay I'm new to this thread, having just jumped on board at the start of this year. So is it possible somebody could give me the Cliff's Notes version of what the gently caress is going on in Mr. Boop? Without context it is deeply disturbing, though I'm getting the impression it's not much less disturbing with context, either.

he was happily married to betty boop
her father sued them to make them get divorced
he then entered the real world and met a girl named liz
he slowly descended into boop based madness

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Yes!

the art may be wonky at times but she is giving the people what they want!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

isn't the neighboring country basically Rhodesia? I'm not super worried about their territorial integrity.

Not letting this get lost

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (March 27, 1933), I'm not sure if Webster assumed that people would recognize the Duke of Wellington on sight, or wouldn't.

Look at the detail on those costumes.

Imagine if he ran into bootsie while dressed like this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus Christ how does this get past a loving editor?

that this is printed and pastis’ coup storyline will not be not is a travesty

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I don't personally need or want to be reminded of the framing that evans wants to punish the people who were mean to him in high school by proxy every time it comes out as inexcusably bad writing. But I don't mind people pointing out that he's doing it again.

i like to feel like there is a massive power struggle between the daughter and the father and this story is his revenge for thirst week with jack last week

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

i think this confirms that its not a diner but a diner themed sex club.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

The answer will be infinitely more boring than whatever you're thinking of

Luann and the bat from k&k. time for the cross over nobody asked for or wanted!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

maltesh posted:

Just casual FTL communication, after years of "*Signal Delay Edited Out."

you are thinking of safe havens which is a subsidiary of fast rack

this is the child of the anthropomopized concepts of software bugs and spell checkers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

OK, can anyone explain this one to me? Is it just that it's cold in St. Petersburg?

its where old people live

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

isnt one of the kids in save havens named cora and looks the same as autocorrect?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Huxley posted:

Also, notably, Jan 26 and Jan 28 were both, "The Cat Burglar strikes again."

I think the gag may have gone double meta on us.

Monday: Let's talk about robots.
Tuesday: The cat burglar strikes again. (swinging rope)
Wednesday: Let's talk about chihuahuas.
Thursday: The can burglar strikes again. (helicopter escape)
Friday: Let's talk about ham.
Saturday: ???

let’s talk about cat burglary

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Wow Bushmiller has a solid case against the Wachowskis

Also now im just imagining this guy sounds like joey pants.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I think its becaise tinkersons is dark enough without spilling over into lio/non sequitor style misantropy

also it has weird things that exist without only being the butt of jokes like the vegantarianism. its just part of the family.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Countblanc posted:

If I had to give a non-art criticism of Tinkersons it's that it sorta sucks that Mrs Tinkerson's personality is being a nag the vast majority of the time. Especially with the kids but also her husband. It'd be nice to see her with some friends or something outside the home like we do all the other characters.

there has been a few. usually involves a lot of 🍷

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EBB posted:

Thought Dethany might be up next for Holbrook's fetish but I guess not with the bird lady and now this

theyve been dating for over 20 years and all of his friends and siblings have married and have kids

maybe weve reached the k&k endgame :ohdear:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

There is so much wrong with it it is so wonderful

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol this is immediately what i thought and was not disappointed when i scrolled down

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm all in on Mark Trail right now. This is so strange that I have to see where it goes.

The trail family works like popeyes family where you take on the physical traits by proximity rather than genetics

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

How old is Lindesfarne supposed to be? The older strips give the impression they're about the same age, but in the newer ones she seems a lot older. Although now that I think about it, maybe she was always supposed to be a lot older than Rudy. I don't recall ever having seen her gone to school. I also don't recall her ever mentioning what her job is. And now the vagueness is irritating me, because she shows up about as often as Rudy does so it's weird that the context of her social life isn't as obvious as his is.

i think shes about 4-5 years older

also when do fionas ears get bigger? was it just a gradual art change or is there some dumb in univers justification

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Doomykins posted:

I'm impressed that the Retail author actually works in good twists and drama for a strip that could coast for decades on ripping off and looping the same Customer Is Always Wrong jokes. Yeah, I thought Josh was ironically 100% correct in telling Cooper to look for new work. The retail profession is a grim beast.

I think they are also good that in the end Marla does become the monster she hated in stewart when she gets promoted. Sure, she's nicer to Amber than Stuart was to her, and stuart still sucks, but she definitely was spiraling to hell by the time grumbles went under.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

duz posted:

I just love how the children rarely sit normally in OOW.

between this and gay and her gang we had a serious sitting problem epidemic going on in the 20s

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1944)

having owned pet rodents: val is going to be freed within minutes.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Doomykins posted:

What would be the worst and most banal outcome possible here? Hmmm. Bernice is going to accidentally implicate Tara as an accomplice. Somehow.

“””Accidentally”””

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ikanreed posted:

How on earth is he whistling chords??

schroeder is an accomplished throat singer

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hostile V posted:

Alright so Luann is not subtle when it comes to which characters are Good Characters and which ones are Bad Characters and the problem is that Bets is supposed to be Gunther's Bad Girlfriend. The problem is that for a while she was pretty sympathetic because she was actually into Gunther's Entitled Nice Guy horseshit, so it's been a gradual erosion of her character by adding on more and more Bad Characterization. Like, ever since she was pretty alright the first time, they've been working on making her this fame-seeking streamer monster who likes popularity and internet likes more than Gunther to the extent that she kind of just ignores Gunther's free will and what he wants, which has not really made most of us dislike her because Gunther loving sucks. But now, yeah, this is just idiotic.

I still don't think she'll ever get written out. She seems like the excuse for the younger Evans to make pop culture references.

"Sally Forth does it dad. Do you think we aren't as good as Sally Forth?"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I Shot The Serif posted:

I had to look at this one twice because while I appreciate the overhead angle, which is visually interesting and difficult to do with regards to foreshortening, at first glance I couldn't figure out why the woman in red (sorry, i can't be bothered to learn these characters' names) had three legs and one freaky foot with really long toes.

Except for the manager, every single one of them is interchangable, one has magic powers but I think they all do?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hattie Masters posted:

A little while back we were listing off our favourite comics currently running, and so I gotta ask: Which do people hate the most? Like, top three.

1. Working Daze
2. Working Daze
3. Working Daze

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

who the gently caress would ever turn down snickerdoodles

what is wrong with you jeremny

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah, making GBS threads on sinatra is the ur-boomer take

Julet Esqu posted:

As the thread wisely assumed would be the case, that one nice Luann strip lasted for exactly one strip and now everyone's back to being completely terrible.

broads am i rite

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

both of these are perfect

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah but it's through her misinterpretation that Gunther will realise he's in love with Tiffany - even Bets has realised it! - because that's the worst possible storyline.

maybe we'll get the best possible storyline and tiff will just crush gunthers heart even further after having a fun quasi date with ox

or since luann and bernice have shown up we'll have another week of them just not shutting up while eating hotdogs/more of gunther's fries

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some time ago Techmoan on youtube showed off a lot of like 50-60 MiniDisc players he bought online and also that there were lots of 100 or 200 players available as well, I imagine it's much the same with discmen.

He even got a free HI-STANDARD album out of it!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I hate strips with Travis. His situation is too grim and gross to be funny to me. The non-fantastical version of his character is a paralyzed man being held captive in a basement somewhere. Incidentally I feel the same way about the heads in jars in Futurama, especially since that setting clearly has the technology to give them cyborg bodies or whatever so there's no reason for people to exist that way. Anyway, that's my complaint, thanks for reading.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 31, 1944)

Aleta is 💯 in control of this situation shes perfect for Val

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

I dunno, leaving the conversation was one of the smartest things Gunther's done.

yeah the best thing to do when in a conversation with luann and bern is leave

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze isn't much better when it's a day late.

So they are all actually dead and their hell is to be entangled in this company that does nothing for a thousand lifetimes right

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mark Trail takes place in the dick tracey universe now.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MUSTARD

ON THE DOG

TILL THE 'CHUP RUN DOWN MY PA