Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise has six adventures left, friends. Let's enjoy them while we can!

Episode 91: "Children of Lucifer"

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

The_Other posted:

Also look what I got in the mail yesterday!

drat, that's a fine collection of Modesty Blaise!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Basically, at the end of the Wen-Tack storyline which takes place after the end of Bad Machinery, Mildred successfully got a road built between Tackleford and the neighbouring town of Wendlefield. This screwed up the catchment areas of Tackleford. Sixth Form is basically the last two years of schooling before University, which can either be as part of a regular secondary school or at dedicated colleges - so if your school doesn't have a sixth form, you would either go to one that does or to a college. Griswalds (the school all of the mystery teens went to) had its own Sixth Form as part of the school, but due to the aforementioned shift of catchment areas (and Britain being a hellscape of Tory-led austerity, both in-universe and IRL), it got closed due to no longer being the only accessible 6th form in the area, so the mystery teens presumably all wound up going their separate ways for 6th form.

The problem is that Allison decided Wen-Tack, while apparently canon, wasn't really good enough to merit being posted online (which seems a bit harsh), so it can't be found easily. Some bold goon posted Wen-Tack last thread, but Allison posted a link to a pdf if anyone wants to see it again.

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

ronya posted:

Wen-Tack was last Tackleford storyline before Wicked Things afaik, but it wasn't the only short after Bad Machinery ends with Severed Alliance - there was a brief arc Hard Yards, canonically just before Wen-Tack/The Great Unboxing, which seemed to be backing off on the tension of Shauna and Lottie growing apart at the end of Severed Alliance (where they are reconciled but maybe not really besties any more, with Shauna largely preferring the prickly company of Blossom). In Hard Yards Little Claire joins the mystery team and Little Claire, Lottie, Shauna, and Blossom form a band, hooray... the loose-ends named characters since SGR being tied together in knots. Very neat.

Bad Machinery is really more about contemporary social relationships and adulthood than mysteries, but the theme of the ephemerality of childhood friendships, whilst realistic, is also kind of depressing? So y'know. It's nice to scratch that itch.

then Wen-Tack drives a steamroller through all of it by splitting the cast up again and introducing a new slate of mystery kids

hot doylist take is that it reflects Allison's indecision over whether to end the Tackleford universe, I suppose

Is there some cheat sheet around that lets the average reader make their way through the Bobbinsverse in order instead of, well, the mess we currently have?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise in Death Symbol

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

It'd be one thing if she was out of shape or the jeans comically did make her look bigger than usual, but she's a middle-aged woman who has two kids and manages to keep it tight. Meanwhile, this fat turd can't even go a week without stuffing his face with empty calories.

amigolupus posted:

Oh my loving god, these two are the absolute worst. The kid's not playing with the robot because she sees Mars as a sibling, she's doing it because she grew up thinking of the robot as a toy. I don't think these two even explained to their kid what Mars's deal is, or that she has a sibling.

See, I thought they were the worst because they're all dressed in matching denim/tucked-in white T-shirts. But this is awful, too.

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

It's been awhile and I don't think it has been stated in this iteration of the thread, but there are a million ways to do your civic duty of showing contempt for Dustin without resorting to fat jokes. Please try to avoid this kind of thing in the future. It's not a major thing but I just think there are better ways to say gently caress Ed Krudlick.

The entire "plot" this week is Ed's wife asking if she looks fat. If that doesn't make it a safe space for calling out Ed on his hypocrisy, I don't know what to tell you.

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it's by far the most actively hateful comic in the thread at the moment

lol

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

What an hilarious comic! What a funny premise!

When is Mac going to realize that, while he's writing Judge Parker, Sally Forth ISN'T Judge Parker?

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m really appreciating how Sally Forth is letting in some humor while still letting an emotional situation be expressed well. That’s a very difficult line to walk, and they seem to be handling it well.

It's the same level of Ctrl-Alt-Del monkeycheese nonsense as always. (Yes, I compared Ces to Tim Buckley. :colbert:) Just an unending word salad where the final panel trips over how many jokes it tries to tell. And then it veers for a couple weeks into maudlin seriousness that feels out of place in a strip with giant wolf statues in the backyard and psychic eighth graders.

Either leave the soapy melodramatics to Judge Parker or commit to making Sally Forth a serious serial - and let JP turn into the farcical parody you want it to be, Ces.

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Only three episodes of Modesty Blaise left! And now: The Last Aristocrat

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

Fibber McGee and Molly, brought to us by Johnson and Johnson. (July 18, 1937)

Isn't the current owner of this strip Matthew Brock?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Everyone getting a burr up their butt over the current Zits storyline really needs to just chill out.

Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Modesty Blaise